• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jackal

jackal

• 74 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 18:07

Hello

Yet another Australian history quiz...

Does anyone know if in the history of Olympic tyres they always used the Olympic branding on the tyres, or when they became Dunlop Olympic did the branding on the tyre change to Dunlop Olympic??

I am just trying to date some Olympic tyres so any help with dates etc, is much appreciated.

Best regards

Carl

Advertisement

#2 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 20:03

Carl all that I remember about Olympic tyres was there slogan for their C64 tyre "The one with the round edge" this was about 1962/64, there was no naming of Dunlop on the case.

#3 jackal

jackal

• 74 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:33

Hello

The tyres i am looking at have Olympic Balloon with the discus thrower between those words. The other marking is Special Duty. The size is 18 x 4.50.

Carl

Edited by jackal, 30 March 2012 - 08:35.

#4 Piquet959

Piquet959

• 127 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:13

My understanding of Olympic tyres is that they were originally made in Australia by Beaurepaires. The Olympic tyre and rubber company was set up in Australia in 1933. There is a history of Olympic tyres on the Beaurepaires web site. I believe that Sir Frank Beaurepaire, who was behind them named them after the fact that he was an Olympian. Hence the Olympic emblem.

The was a Frank Beaurepaire pool in the old Batman Ave here in Melbourne, this pool was also referred to as the old olympic pool.He was also at one stage the Lord Mayor of Melbourne.

Edited by Piquet959, 30 March 2012 - 09:17.

#5 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:47

I thought that tyres had a code on them that "those in the know" could relate to a manufacturing date - I'm not sure if it's numbers or a series of raised dots or bars. but
(a) It could be a figment of my imagination
(b) If it isn't, it may not have applied in Australia

#6 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:52

They were always called Olympic, never Dunlop Olympic though that was the company that marketed them later. And effectivly they just became a Dunlop brand.
From memory they were around until about 5 or 6 years ago in limited sizing. In the 70 in particular they were a major played with quite a lot of OEM manufacture. After that the sort of gradually faded to nothing.
Olympic Air Ride, Olympic Reflex are styles I remember.

#7 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,955 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 23:27

It was the connection between Sir Frank Beaurepaire which took Ken McKinney to Melbourne...

There was always a motor sport influence there in the pre-war years.

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,955 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 20:49

Crook memory at work again...

Ken McKinney took Advanx to Melbourne, they were opposition to Beaurepaire. But there's definitely something in the Ken McKinney story that relates to Beaurepaire.