Photo

Button: Alonso would be the ideal team-mate

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think? (358 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think?

1. Modern Psychological Warfare 4 (Woking Edition). (97 votes [27.25%])

Percentage of vote: 27.25%

2. He is right, they complement each other, they will be unstoppable. (59 votes [16.57%])

Percentage of vote: 16.57%

3. It will be a disaster. (8 votes [2.25%])

Percentage of vote: 2.25%

4. Button will be destroyed. (89 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

5. Alonso will throw the toys out of the pram. (94 votes [26.40%])

Percentage of vote: 26.40%

6. Other (Explain below) (9 votes [2.53%])

Percentage of vote: 2.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,875 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:30

Speaking to the Press Association:

"Lewis is extremely quick, we see that all the time, and it's really exciting having a team-mate like that," he said. "It's tough on some days, but other days it's great, and it's a real challenge, which I like."

"But if Lewis wasn't in Formula One, for example, I personally feel it would be exciting having Fernando as a team-mate. Fernando is extremely talented, he is a double world champion, he is fast.

"Is he the fastest in the sport? Probably not, and would he probably say the same, but he is very intelligent."

"In some ways we're similar, in other ways we are definitely not," he said. "One of the ways in which we are is in terms of wanting a team of people around us. We need that support to really achieve.

"So yeah, he'd be exciting to work with, to work with and to be an enemy, which I'm sure he would be."

I got the thread title from the headline in Crash.net.

Discuss!!

Edited by kosmos, 30 March 2012 - 11:33.

Advertisement

#2 FA and RK fan

FA and RK fan

• 255 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:50

Voted for option 1. Button might want to drive against Alonso, but i am not sure about other way around. I don't think it is a dig at Alonso, maybe more at Lewis, like, come on mate is that all you've got

#3 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:02

Depends on whose team it was.

#4 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:06

rewind your brain to November 2009 and Button was seen as walking into the Lion's den, Lewis' team. Didn't work out too bad for him did it?

I think what Button is implying is that he and Alonso are similar in the sense that they can build a team around them that helps them perform, something that maybe other (naturally faster?) drivers aren't that good at.

#5 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,721 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:07

I would vote for the first and the fifth option, even if I don't really see this as clear phsychological warfare, 'cause what he says is only complimentary.

Alonso would be arms and legs if Button started matching and beating him, which I think Button could, but I think it would be from time to time, and probably not over a season.

#6 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:08

Probably just a journalist asking a silly question and JB gave his 'I'm not scared of anyone' response.
He should feel like that though, self belief means alot.

#7 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:14

Bingo!!!

#8 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:14

JB is a clever man :up:

LH-very fast
FA-not the fastest

JB's pro-race pace
JB's con-1lap speed

His odds of winning increase with the ''slower'' of the two as he will have a better chance in Qualifying.

#9 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:17

I voted other, I could see them doing very well together, but they would by no means be 'unstoppable'.

#10 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:38

So now Alonso in not fast, and of all people it's Button saying that. Who is fast Jenson?

#11 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:42

So now Alonso in not fast, and of all people it's Button saying that. Who is fast Jenson?

Fernando is extremely talented, he is a double world champion, he is fast.

:confused:

#12 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:43

Alonso himself has said a couple of times "I might not be fastest, or the most technical, but I am consistent."
http://www.bbc.co.uk...-blog-from.html

#13 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:47

Alonso himself has said a couple of times "I might not be fastest, or the most technical, but I am consistent."
http://www.bbc.co.uk...-blog-from.html

Alonso can be just as fast as anyone!

#14 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:53

What means fast anyway? Fast, as the bulk of people here seem to believe, means a single clear lap where the rubber can be burnt off. So, circumstances which very rarely exist in races.

#15 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:57

I am sure he can, all I said is that Button and Alonso said the same thing. Button didn't say he isn't fast, he said he probably isn't the fastest. Which is echoing what Alonso said about himself

#16 yr

yr

• 6,007 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:58

Eventhough he himself admits that he isnt that fast? :confused:

#17 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 13:04

Right now as I see it:

One lap pace: Alonso
Race pace: Alonso
Driving on wet: Alonso (could be arguable, but while Button sometimes seems to really struggle [Korea 2010, Malaysia 2012 come to mind], Alonso is always there)
Strategy: Button
Adaptability: Alonso
Concistency: Alonso
Racecraft: Alonso but only because he can defend better
Pressure handling: Alonso

So yes, I voted for #4

Edited by SirRacer, 30 March 2012 - 13:05.

#18 Fox1

Fox1

• 713 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 13:12

I am sure he can, all I said is that Button and Alonso said the same thing. Button didn't say he isn't fast, he said he probably isn't the fastest. Which is echoing what Alonso said about himself

A point that should not be lost is that every effort was made to make Jenson as comfortable as possible when he arrived at McLaren; arguably at the expense of Lewis.

The real question is how Jenson would fear against Alonso in a car that is unbalanced and difficult to drive like the current Ferrari. He would be better than Massa, but not by much IMO.

#19 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 13:19

He also doesn't say anywhere that he 'isn't that fast' like you just put it. The only thing that is not impossible to measure unless in the same equipment and that actually matters is consistency.

Advertisement

#20 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 13:22

itd be tight. No one would destroy anyone.

#21 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 866 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 13:23

"Call of Duty 4"

#22 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 13:23

A point that should not be lost is that every effort was made to make Jenson as comfortable as possible when he arrived at McLaren; arguably at the expense of Lewis.

The real question is how Jenson would fear against Alonso in a car that is unbalanced and difficult to drive like the current Ferrari. He would be better than Massa, but not by much IMO.

The 2008 Honda seemed very un-balanced.

#23 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 13:41

Or how Button would have handled the 2008 or 2009 Renault.

In regards to this thread;

Is it just possible Button was just making an honest comment with no catches ....

#24 ivey

ivey

• 145 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 13:47

It's hard to assess as Ferrari is crap right now and Massa hasn't performed well since his comeback, but right now Alonso seems to be stupid fast to be honest, over one lap and in the race also.

#25 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 14:00

To deliver his best Alonso needs an environment where the team is built around him and trusts him as lead driver.

I believe Hamilton would need the same.

#26 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 14:02

So do you believe everything else Alonso says too?  ;)

#27 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 14:14

To deliver his best Alonso needs an environment where the team is built around him and trusts him as lead driver.

I believe Hamilton would need the same.

A little secret: every driver would benefit from that.

Even those relatively less affected by adverse working conditions would do better in a perfect environment.

#28 yr

yr

• 6,007 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 14:20

So do you believe everything else Alonso says too? ;)

Well, why should I doubt him on this one, or else agree everything he says? It would be a totally different if he was trying to make himself look better than he is by saying he is fastest (when he knows he isnt) because there would be a reason to talk BS. When he, or any other driver for that matter, calls himself "not fastest around" there is no reason not to believe him, as there is no ageneda.

#29 Misk

Misk

• 734 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 14:20

The 2008 Honda seemed very un-balanced.

And he was beaten by Barrichello that year.

#30 aray

aray

• 5,796 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 14:21

alonso will beat him...but button will be close..

#31 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,766 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 14:42

A little secret: every driver would benefit from that.

Even those relatively less affected by adverse working conditions would do better in a perfect environment.

This is true, but Alonso seems particulary affected by this. We had someone from Renault saying that whenever Fisico would be faster even in FP - Alonso would go bonkers. We all know what happened in 2007., and we all remember 'come on guys, this is ridiculous'. So, it would all depend on wheter he has #1 position in team or not. In McLaren with Button, I think we might see a 2007. reprisal.

#32 magicon

magicon

• 409 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 14:49

JB wants to upset LH. Mclaren has the fastest car. It is 2007 part 2. :)

#33 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 14:49

Voted disaster. Fernando is a winner, but he needs team focus on him.
Plus, Fernando seems to carry a bit of a bad reputation of drying team mates.

#34 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,567 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 14:58

"Is he the fastest in the sport? Probably not

I keep hearing this from time to time and I call bull**t. Alonso is at least as fast as anyone of the current grid. A not so fast guy could´t outqualify his teammate 30-5 or something like that.

#35 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 14:59

I'm a huge Alonso fan and I agree that he doesn't like to have a competitive team-mate. But that's not a bad thing IMO if what you want is to fight for the WDC instead of driving just to beat your team-mate.

He has positioned himself like that, made it clear in Renault and in McLaren. Ferrari knows that Alonso's team-mate has to be a 2nd driver who is able to stay close to Fernando but not match him, and Fernando will do the rest to get the trophies.

Hamilton comes to mind, if he was like Fernando he wouldn't have allowed Button in McLaren, now he's paying the prize: instead of being concentrated to get the WDC, he concentrates on beating Button. Same happened with Vettel in 2010, and same will happen to him this year IMO.

One thing I have sure: Alonso is a wise guy.

Edited by SirRacer, 30 March 2012 - 14:59.

#36 sheSgoTthElooK

sheSgoTthElooK

• 3,292 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:01

Would be a 'strange' driver line-up. But why not? Button to Ferrari, one seat left @Mclaren ...waiting for Rosberg, or Räikkönen......diResta maybe? :clap:

#37 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:04

Would be a 'strange' driver line-up. But why not? Button to Ferrari, one seat left @Mclaren ...waiting for Rosberg, or Räikkönen......diResta maybe? :clap:

Although Button's comments were hypothetical in nature, I don't think him going to Ferrari was what he had in mind!

#38 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:05

Hamilton comes to mind, if he was like Fernando he wouldn't have allowed Button in McLaren, now he's paying the prize

He had no choice. He wasn't that who decided.

#39 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:05

jenson is a superb F1 driver, specially out of the car with all the politicaly and getting the team around him stuff, did it noteably to JV, and to lewis, while people see him as non political....

but thats the f1 game

Advertisement

#40 Fox1

Fox1

• 713 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:08

And he was beaten by Barrichello that year.

Wow, didn't realize we was beaten in 08. I was focusing on a matchup with Alonso in a car that isn't on rails. I'm sorry, but I don't think it would be the toss-up that some are expecting.

#41 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:35

Well, why should I doubt him on this one, or else agree everything he says? It would be a totally different if he was trying to make himself look better than he is by saying he is fastest (when he knows he isnt) because there would be a reason to talk BS. When he, or any other driver for that matter, calls himself "not fastest around" there is no reason not to believe him, as there is no ageneda.

Humans tend to be a little more complex than that, at least from my experience.

#42 yr

yr

• 6,007 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:44

Humans tend to be a little more complex than that, at least from my experience.

Well they might be more complex than that, but its quite rare that humans lie in order to make themselfs look bad, especially ego-centric people like drivers in F1, they usually lie only to make themselfs look better. At least that´s how I see it.

#43 tommyhjortasen

tommyhjortasen

• 587 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:51

I´m afraid alonso would beat him very clear.

At the moment it´s better for Jenson to stay at MacLaren and continue to build the team around him. SD likes Alonso and MW likes Button, such is life.

#44 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,606 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:55

Jenson playing mind games with Lewis? He's very very clever and much sneakier that his "nice guy" exterior shows!!

The reality is, in my opinion, Alonso would thrash Button. Hamilton thrived under the old rules when F1 was a series of sprints and Alonso was every bit his equal, Alonso is thriving under these current regulations and in my opinion there isn't a driver on the grid who could beat Alonso over a season.

#45 Headspin

Headspin

• 278 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:57

I'm a huge Alonso fan and I agree that he doesn't like to have a competitive team-mate. But that's not a bad thing IMO if what you want is to fight for the WDC instead of driving just to beat your team-mate.

He has positioned himself like that, made it clear in Renault and in McLaren. Ferrari knows that Alonso's team-mate has to be a 2nd driver who is able to stay close to Fernando but not match him, and Fernando will do the rest to get the trophies.

Hamilton comes to mind, if he was like Fernando he wouldn't have allowed Button in McLaren, now he's paying the prize: instead of being concentrated to get the WDC, he concentrates on beating Button. Same happened with Vettel in 2010, and same will happen to him this year IMO.

One thing I have sure: Alonso is a wise guy.

Wise but unsporting and bit of a coward, IMHO. True racer should not have to resort back room politics, true racer is prepared to face best of them in equal status, but I know that's an idealistic and naive stance. Results he gets, sort of at least so it's working for him.

Edited by Headspin, 30 March 2012 - 15:58.

#46 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 16:10

Jenson playing mind games with Lewis? He's very very clever and much sneakier that his "nice guy" exterior shows!!

The reality is, in my opinion, Alonso would thrash Button. Hamilton thrived under the old rules when F1 was a series of sprints and Alonso was every bit his equal, Alonso is thriving under these current regulations and in my opinion there isn't a driver on the grid who could beat Alonso over a season.

The other way of looking at that is that Hamilton thrived with tyres which were stronger at the rear whereas both Alonso and Button (who both prefer a tendency to understeer) are much better off in relative terms with the weak-reared Pirellis.

#47 yr

yr

• 6,007 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 16:21

and in my opinion there isn't a driver on the grid who could beat Alonso over a season.

Hamilton and Trulli (sort of) already did. Actually, if Alonso wasnt that Unchallenged-number-one in his team, there would be plenty of drivers who could beat him over the season. Kimi, Sebastian, Lewis, Jenson plus possibly few fresh guys like Perez who could as easily be better as they could be worse, its anybodys guess. But certainly its not written in stone that Alonso wont lose to his teammate, ask Hamilton or Trulli. Shame that Alonso needs such an undistiputed #1 status in his team to perform at his best, it means we will never again see him against competitive teammate with equal status.

#48 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 16:26

JB wants to upset LH. Mclaren has the fastest car. It is 2007 part 2. :)

Indeed, no need to look any further. It is a time bomb. Just wait and see.

#49 marina

marina

• 84 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 16:33

Alonso will be destroyed. :blush:

#50 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,510 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 16:39

Indeed, no need to look any further. It is a time bomb. Just wait and see.

This time it will be Lewis in Alonso's position and Lewis being the one to leave...