A Stewart-Cevert movie is underway

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 13:34

A movie concentrating on the relationship between Jackie Stewart and his team-mate François Cevert over the 1971/2/3 seasons has entered the casting stage.

More info here.

Advertisement

#2 Russ Snyder

Russ Snyder

• 360 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 13:39

more good racing film news, espc the re-doing of the 1971 film in HD.

#3 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 14:15

This pleases me no end, Tyrrell, with Jackie and Francois, were "my" team, and having spent a very little time with the team, and Jackie, but sadly after the end of the '73 season, I cannot wait!

#4 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,184 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 14:19

The Stewart-Cevert film sounds very promising, although I'm not too sure about the suggestion of Ewan McGregor for the Stewart role!

#5 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,121 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 14:27

The Stewart-Cevert film sounds very promising, although I'm not too sure about the suggestion of Ewan McGregor for the Stewart role!

How about Robbie Williams...

#6 stuartbrs

stuartbrs

• 801 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:05

Another exciting film.. however, according to the Autosport article, Ceverts death casued Stewart to retire... I thought Stewart had decided to retire well before Ceverts`s tragic death at Watkins Glen...

#7 PCC

PCC

• 1,095 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:20

Another exciting film.. however, according to the Autosport article, Ceverts death casued Stewart to retire... I thought Stewart had decided to retire well before Ceverts`s tragic death at Watkins Glen...

He did. Cevert's death caused Stewart to withdraw from the USGP, which would have been his 100th and last race - thus the line "...caused Stewart to call time on his F1 career one race early."

Edited by PCC, 30 March 2012 - 15:21.

#8 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:34

Cevert received an offer from Ferrari?! Don't recall ever hearing about that in the past...

#9 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:41

Cevert received an offer from Ferrari?! Don't recall ever hearing about that in the past...

Me neither.

#10 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,255 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:51

Seems like the passion for making racing films is popping up like all those #9 busses you hear about.

Not that I'm complaining..

Jp

#11 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:57

I was only thinking that the way things are going we must shortly be due "Bernie the musical".... :smoking:

Edited by Giraffe, 30 March 2012 - 15:59.

#12 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 16:25

Cevert received an offer from Ferrari?!

Didn't nearly anybody half decent get some sort of approach from Ferrari in those days?

#13 Coral

Coral

• 6,786 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 16:25

Sounds great! I'm looking forward to it. :up:

#14 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 16:48

I was only thinking that the way things are going we must shortly be due "Bernie the musical".... :smoking:

Good one; clearly Max will be one of the dancers.

#15 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 16:49

Didn't nearly anybody half decent get some sort of approach from Ferrari in those days?

Well I didn't get an offer!

:p

#16 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 17:00

Producer Bill Pohlad is a real racing fan and has been a firm friend of JYS's for donkey's years. His heart's in the right place, and he owns several ex-Jackie F1 cars. He is well placed to have a better understanding of racing realities than any other movie maker currently involved.

No pressure there then... :drunk:

DCN

#17 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 17:01

As I shared with David a few moments ago, you could actually leave the racing completely out of this film and still capture the human aspect of this story.

Whereas the Lauda / Hunt story has lots more twists in it from a personal and sporting aspect.

#18 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 17:11

A recent newspaper article advised Madonna that no-one over fifty should wear fishnet tights. The same obviously applies to Max...

#19 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 17:21

:lol: :rotfl: :up:

Advertisement

#20 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,865 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 18:05

It's covered in some detail in Maurice Hamilton's book on Ken Tyrrell. Without digging the book out IIRC JYS was one of the few who knew and was in the position of having to advise Francois while not being able to tell him the whole truth.

#21 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 19:07

He did. Cevert's death caused Stewart to withdraw from the USGP, which would have been his 100th and last race - thus the line "...caused Stewart to call time on his F1 career one race early."

I believe giving up a potential 4th title as well?

Well I didn't get an offer!

:p

I know, right? You too, Hey? Despite red being my favorite color? And wearing Ferrari caps everywhere? And making a mean Lasagna? (whoops, Lasagne)

Seriously, I can't wait to see the film!!!

#22 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 19:20

E1pix, if I get the gist of your post, Stewart had already wrapped the title up in 1973 by the time they got to America.

Phil Collins and Lauda are the only two that I can think off the top of my head that have deliberately hampered or killed off their chances of a title.

#23 PCC

PCC

• 1,095 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 19:36

Phil Collins and Lauda are the only two that I can think off the top of my head that have deliberately hampered or killed off their chances of a title.

You mean the famous Ferrari drummer?

#24 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 19:59

E1pix, if I get the gist of your post, Stewart had already wrapped the title up in 1973 by the time they got to America.

Reutemann?

#25 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 20:23

A recent newspaper article advised Madonna that no-one over fifty should wear fishnet tights. The same obviously applies to Max...

Not so Tony, Max will need some good rough fishnet tights to hide some of the whip marks he's been laid on recently !!

#26 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 20:28

Oh My, Bad E1, I just recollected properly and checked back in to correct it. :blush: DOH!

I realize Phil is savvy on the pedals, but your Philosophy might get tom-tommed.  ;) Yes, PCC, that's the guy!

Did Peter Collins give away a Title?

Edited by E1pix, 30 March 2012 - 20:30.

#27 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 20:33

Did Peter Collins give away a Title?

He had a mathematical chance of winning the 1956 title going into the last race at Monza, but gave up any chance of this by handing his car over to Fangio during this race.

#28 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 20:42

My bad as well. The funny thing in to trying to check if it was fact or myth, I was actually on the Peter Collins page on Wikipedia.

By handing his car over to Fangio he killed off any chance of he had of winning the title. I don't want to go too much go too much into the mathematics since it was 30 years to the month before I was born and not really my area of expertise, with for example countback procedures. The shared drives, the dropped scores and the fastest lap points all make it a bit of minefield!

Edited by ryan86, 30 March 2012 - 20:54.

#29 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 20:45

Sounds as if it could be from the same team the produced "Nixon in China". :confused:

#30 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 21:45

This is great news.

#31 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 00:17

This is great news.

:up:

#32 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:39

This is a bandwagon that won't leave the depot. Movie producers have seen the success of Senna and are in full "Me too" mode, not realising of course that charming, talented and handsome though Cevert was, he was no psychological study; and Stewart's Scottishness, safety campaigning and dyslexia do not an interesting film make. Senna worked as a movie because once in a racing car he became a sociopath; indeed bordering on a psychopath at times; and it was this psychological study which made him interesting to non-fans of motorsport. Stewart is no Rab C Nesbitt and can come across as excessively dour and worthy. Cevert was, if I recall, a very good pianist, had eyes that women swooned over and, of course, as far as English women were concerned, a romantic French accent, but he was no rebel, no hooligan, certainly not the dramatic antagonist a feature film requires.

With Hunt and Lauda there is a signal contrast in character, the upper-class coke-snorting racer contrasted with the ambitious, less talented, man who rose from the dead to race again, but finally decided that discretion was the better part of valour, leaving the blonde Englishman to win the championship. Beside this pairing Cevert & Stewart look insipid. Remember, they are not making these films for we fans, but for a far wider audience and will have to pay their way.

Both Stewart and Cevert are great candidates for 1 hour documentaries on BBC4, but, regretably, not prime-time anything.

Edited by Bloggsworth, 31 March 2012 - 19:55.

#33 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:15

You may be right, but my understanding is that this is intended to be very much a people movie, exploring unpublicised depths,
of which we as yet wot not.

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 31 March 2012 - 14:23.

#34 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:59

This is due for release shortly I believe ..

Posted Image ..

#35 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 13:26

You may be right, but my understanding is that this is intended to be very much a people movie, exploring unpublicised depth of which we as yet wot not.

DCN

I wonder if the subject of the shiney vs non shiney Tyrrell airboxes ever came came up as it did on the Forum a couple of years ago ?

#36 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 15:29

This is due for release shortly I believe ..

Posted Image ..

Very clever! Can't wait to see it...

#37 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 15:56

Lauda didn't exactly come from a poor background...

#38 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 17:57

Lauda didn't exactly come from a poor background...

Have you read his autobiography?

I have, it's been a few years but I seem to remember he took financial risks to go racing without any "family money" and did it fairly hard.

#39 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 18:07

Have you read his autobiography?

I have, it's been a few years but I seem to remember he took financial risks to go racing without any "family money" and did it fairly hard.

That's is correct; he borrowed $80,000 from his rich grandfather...there was a lot of ego involved in that loan. The motivation to pay it back was VERY high.

http://www.ddavid.co...1/lauda.bio.htm

Edited by David M. Kane, 31 March 2012 - 18:21.

Advertisement

#40 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 19:25

That's is correct; he borrowed $80,000 from his rich grandfather...there was a lot of ego involved in that loan. The motivation to pay it back was VERY high.

I don't think he borrowed money directly from his grandfather.

What Dennis David says is

By virtue of his family's business reputation he was able to secure loans that would not otherwise have been available. He used these to buy an F2 seat at March for '71 partnering Ronnie Peterson (who was getting paid for his driving), and the next season an F1/F2 combination. When March fizzled he persuaded Louis Stanley at BRM to sell him a seat. In the course of all this he ran up debts that would have balked a small banana republic. Due dates on notes had an unfortunate tendency not to coincide with the availability of starting money from touring car races. But his abilities got him noticed. In true fairy tail fashion first Stanley began paying him, then the call from Ferrari's Luca Montezemolo came before the financial house of cards collapsed (his devil-may-care approach didn't seem to worry him at the time, although in his mature years he would say that it had been crazy). He squirmed out of his contract with Stanley, and was off on an often-rocky ride with Ferrari to two world championships.

In his autobiography, For the Record, although there are several mentions of Lauda getting into debt to pay for his racing, there is no suggestion that he borrowed any money from any member of his family. For example Lauda's co-author, Herbert Völker says:

In the middle of the [1969?]season Lauda exchanged the not yet paid-for Mini Cooper S with an even less paid-for Porsche 911. As security for it a glance at his parents' villa sufficed.

Later, in respect of lauda's 1971 season with March he says:

... March needed money - a Formula II season cost about half a million schillings for a man as unknown as Lauda. Niki already played the P.R. game very cleverly, and heaped good references upon the March people. March reckoned to have Lauda as number two behind Peterson, while Niki was running around Austria collecting the money. This time the arrangement didn't work, the needed amount was nowhere near collected.
Nevertheless Lauda signed with March, determined to get the money; what must be, must be. His sponsor Bosch gave him one tenth, but the Vienna sport chief at the firm, Count Schönborn, knew the secretary-general of the First Austrian savings-bank, and managed to arrange for Lauda to get credit for a big enough loan. Getting into debt was already part of his life-style, so that was all right.

Lauda certainly used his his family's connections and reputation to raise bank loans but as far as I know he didn't ever borrow directly from them.

#41 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 19:31

In his autobiography, For the Record, although there are several mentions of Lauda getting into debt to pay for his racing, there is no suggestion that he borrowed any money from any member of his family. For example Lauda's co-author, Herbert Völker says: Later, in respect of lauda's 1971 season with March he says:
Lauda certainly used his his family's connections and reputation to raise bank loans but as far as I know he didn't ever borrow directly from them.

Understood; BUT it also stated he probably would not have gotten the loans without the family connection. I think you're splitting hairs.
Besides I don't really care one way or the other as Niki and I are not pals or anything close to it.

I'm just glad he's alive and doing reasonably well.

#42 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 19:31

In his autobiography, For the Record, although there are several mentions of Lauda getting into debt to pay for his racing, there is no suggestion that he borrowed any money from any member of his family. For example Lauda's co-author, Herbert Völker says: Later, in respect of lauda's 1971 season with March he says:

Understood; BUT it also stated he probably would not have gotten the loans without the family connection. I think you're splitting hairs.
Besides I don't really care one way or the other as Niki and I are not pals or anything close to it.

I'm just glad he's alive and doing reasonably well.

#43 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 19:42

I don't think I'm splitting hairs. I'm setting the record straight. There's a world of difference between a young man obtaining a bank loan on the strength of his family's reputation and simply borrowing the money from a rich relative.

Edited by D-Type, 08 October 2013 - 08:02.

#44 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 19:59

Misleading a bank in order to borrow money to go racing, that really is Oscar material - Now if he'd robbed the bank...

#45 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 20:49

I don't think he misled them. The banks knew the score. Basically the security was that if push came to shove the Lauda family could be expected to bail him out to preserve their reputation. Slightly different from sponging off grandad.

But, as you say, it isn't the stuff that sells movies even if it does tell us enthusiasts something of Niki's character.

#46 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 21:39

This is a bandwagon that won't leave the depot. Movie producers have seen the success of Senna and are in full "Me too" mode, not realising of course that charming, talented and handsome though Cevert was, he was no psychological study; and Stewart's Scottishness, safety campaigning and dyslexia do not an interesting film make. Senna worked as a movie because once in a racing car he became a sociopath; indeed bordering on a psychopath at times; and it was this psychological study which made him interesting to non-fans of motorsport. Stewart is no Rab C Nesbitt and can come across as excessively dour and worthy. Cevert was, if I recall, a very good pianist, had eyes that women swooned over and, of course, as far as English women were concerned, a romantic French accent, but he was no rebel, no hooligan, certainly not the dramatic antagonist a feature film requires.

With Hunt and Lauda there is a signal contrast in character, the upper-class coke-snorting racer contrasted with the ambitious, less talented, man who rose from the dead to race again, but finally decided that discretion was the better part of valour, leaving the blonde Englishman to win the championship. Beside this pairing Cevert & Stewart look insipid. Remember, they are not making these films for we fans, but for a far wider audience and will have to pay their way.

Both Stewart and Cevert are great candidates for 1 hour documentaries on BBC4, but, regretably, not prime-time anything.

Exactly how I would've phrased my views on this. :up:

#47 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 00:01

Me too.

#48 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 00:39

I don't think I'm splitting hairs. i'm setting the record staraight. There's a world of difference between a young man obtaining a bank loan on the strength of his family's reputation and simply borrowing the money from a rich relative.

Sorry but I never implied or meant to imply he borrowed it from relatives. :confused:

#49 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 17:06

Sorry but I never implied or meant to imply he borrowed it from relatives. :confused:

'nuff said

#50 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 17:51

Producer Bill Pohlad is a real racing fan and has been a firm friend of JYS's for donkey's years. His heart's in the right place, and he owns several ex-Jackie F1 cars. He is well placed to have a better understanding of racing realities than any other movie maker currently involved.

DCN

That's encouraging! Perhaps a truly exceptional movie about racing is in the making.

Jack