The definitive 1950-1980 F1 TV coverage thread

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#101 dweller23

dweller23

• 630 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 20:28

Found some very interesting information regarding RAI broadcasts:

- Piero Casucci was F1 commentator for RAI at least since Monaco 1959. His last commentaries should be around 1974-75 (last confirmed: Italy 74)

- Italy 55 was available on Eurovision. This is the oldest F1 race confirmed to be available on Eurovision!

And something that I knew for a bit of time:

- First F1 race shown in Italy on TV is 1953 Italian GP (three live segments). Interestingly, parts of that broadcast (if not everything) are still in RAI archives

Advertisement

#102 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 789 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 22:36

It probably does as the ORF archives do not make anything available unless it was hosted on Austrian soil. Home VCRs were available from 76/77-ish so most likely someone just taped them.

the quality of these old analogue derived recordings seems to be a direct function of how many 'generations' away from the original tapes they are. some of the tapes from this era that i have seen look to be no more than 1 or 2 generations away from the ORF masters, although, ironically, an old betamax machine from the early 80's can prodce a better image than a later vhs machine, which complicates matters.don't have first hand knowledge of home recording in the late 70's so i cant comment on the quality, presumably not a great deal different.

so whilst they could be derived from old home recordings. those are usually given away by some sort of continuity announcement (or adverts on commercial channels). was/is ORF a commercial station and would coverage of a GP during this era have had 'ad' breaks?

there are a few spots on the swedish broadcast where the tape does a typical analogue 'woopsie' as the signal seems to drop away, and a continuity announcer on the start , before the king starts to do his 'king' bit in a tour of the circuit, which might lend some weight to that one being a home recording.

but i'd lay money on quite a few of these tapes having been recorded directly from the masters, whether or not the official line is that nothing is avaliable from the ORF archive. who was it who said that borrowing is theft without a court case afterwards.?

#103 dweller23

dweller23

• 630 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:36

Some people probably know this video of 1977 Canadian GP:

Does anyone have an idea where could it be from? French language suggests either French or Quebec TV. The changes between shots make it look like world feed, which is currently the only suggestion that there ever was one. I know that French TF1 showed highlights of the race in AutoMoto magazine and that segment is definitely not from that show. Unfortunately, Montreal Gazette doesn't mention any broadcast of that race in any TV station. The only race from that week is Michigan 150 on CTV mixed with lumberjack world championships from Quebec...

#104 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,213 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 19:16

Hmm, lumberjack world championships? Has to do with felling, too, hasn't it...  ;)

#105 dweller23

dweller23

• 630 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 23:09

It's actually sad, ABC and CTV devoted tons of time to lumberjack championships every year in 1970s... It was probably cheaper than F1, but I would imagine that CTV was the host TV of Canadian GP in 1970s (they were in 1978-82 period as well as in late 60s).

Any information on that clip would be really, really amazing.

#106 dweller23

dweller23

• 630 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 18:13

Okay, so this video is from TVA, but is from a program about Gilles Villeneuve showed shortly after his death. This could mean that CTV/TVA indeed were the host tv, but still didn't show the race live on tv (unless it was live in local Ontario channels).

#107 dweller23

dweller23

• 630 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 16:13

The Swedish GP ´78 was originally scheluded on Sunday the

18th of June but was later changed.

The change of dates was reported in Autosport on March 2nd.

The reason given was that 18th of June was the day of the

second round of the World Cup (soccer I presume) and the

networks were comitted to that.

The race was to be televised around the world including the US

by Societe Francais de Production.

ITV confimed one week later that London Weekend would show

the race live.

The midsummer weekend was 23-24th of June that year. 

Christer

It seems that Societe Francais de Production was involved in producing Monaco GP broadcasts for some time. SFP is on the graphics for 1976 Monaco GP.

Also, some updates - it would appear that Sweden 1975 is almost for sure gone. SVT doesn't hold the copyrights and they have no idea who has the copyrights. I checked with almost every archive in countries which showed the race - apart from Italy and Brazil. Another possibility is that it is hidden somewhere in French archives, perhaps...

Maybe if the copyright holder is found, it might help a little bit.

I also updated the broadcasts spreadsheet, added a lot of new stuff from various countries.

#108 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,824 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:50

For Austrian TV - when did Heinz Pruller start to commentate and who was the commentator before him?

Sorry if posted before: according to German Wikipedia, Prüller started to comment F1 in 1965.

http://de.wikipedia....i/Heinz_Prüller

#109 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,824 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:54

the quality of these old analogue derived recordings seems to be a direct function of how many 'generations' away from the original tapes they are. some of the tapes from this era that i have seen look to be no more than 1 or 2 generations away from the ORF masters, although, ironically, an old betamax machine from the early 80's can prodce a better image than a later vhs machine, which complicates matters.don't have first hand knowledge of home recording in the late 70's so i cant comment on the quality, presumably not a great deal different.

so whilst they could be derived from old home recordings. those are usually given away by some sort of continuity announcement (or adverts on commercial channels). was/is ORF a commercial station and would coverage of a GP during this era have had 'ad' breaks?

there are a few spots on the swedish broadcast where the tape does a typical analogue 'woopsie' as the signal seems to drop away, and a continuity announcer on the start , before the king starts to do his 'king' bit in a tour of the circuit, which might lend some weight to that one being a home recording.

but i'd lay money on quite a few of these tapes having been recorded directly from the masters, whether or not the official line is that nothing is avaliable from the ORF archive. who was it who said that borrowing is theft without a court case afterwards.?

No, ORF was and is Austria's state-financed public station and had no ad breaks at all then.

#110 Spaceframe

Spaceframe

• 231 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:40

Hi Dweller!

I took a walk to the library today and looked through the Röster i Radio/TV ´70-´75.

´70 10/5 18:05-19:00 Monaco SVT1

´71 23/5 16:15-17:15 Monaco SVT1 Sigward Andersson
15:45-17:15 Monaco DR
19:15-19:40 Monaco NRK

17/7 14:20-16:30 Silverstone SVT1 Sigward Andersson

1/8 16:00-16:40 Nürburgring SVT1 Sigward Andersson

5/9 14:00-18:00 Sportspegeln (Sporting Mirror) SVT1 including cycling WC, Mendrisio
pre Olympics, München and F1, Monza

´72 1/5 16:50-18:00 Jarama SVT1 Sigward Andersson

14/5 16:00-17:10 Monaco SVT1 Sigward Andersson
Unfortunatley there was no danish or norwegian schedules for this date so I don´t know
if they had their usual highlights.

13/8 14:55-17:30 Österreichring SVT1 Jan Svanlund

´73 3/6 15:15-16:00 Monaco DR
no time Monaco NRK

´75 11/5 18:55-19:30 Monaco NRK

8/6 13:15-15:45 Anderstorp SVT1 Jan Svanlund
13:30-15:45 Anderstorp DR

3/8 16:20-17:00 Nürburgring DR
17:30-18:00 Nürburgring NRK

I´ll look through ´76-´80 another day.

Christer

DR of course means Danmarks Radio.

Monaco 1971 by DR was commented by Finn Kobberø.

Monaco 1972 was also broadcast by DR. I seem to recall a similar split format as in 1971.

Germany 1972 was scheduled by DR, but I was on holiday abroad and can't remember whether they cancelled it. I have a faint memory of something like that. Germany 1973 was likewise - incidentally the (German?) producers didn't cover the entirecircuit with stationary cameras, so for some sections only helicopter footage is available.

Germany 1974 was broadcast as a half hour highlight by DR - pretty much as 1975, although the program was in the evening rather than the afternoon.

Sweden 1975 was broadcast live by DR. Incidentally i seem to recall it being a Saturday?

#111 Spaceframe

Spaceframe

• 231 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:54

Today was another day!

And a quite depressing one at that.

Here are the races broadcasted in Scandinavia ´76-´80:

´76   30/5    17:30-18:00     Monaco                   NRK

´77    2/10   17:15-18:00     Motorlöb                  DR                motor race (can be almost anything)

´78     7/5    16:40-19:00     Motor Grand Prix     DR                most likely Monaco

13/8   16:00-17:00      Österreichring         DR

10/9   17:00-18:00      Monza                     DR

So no races shown in Sweden during these years.

Christer

In 1976 DR showed a one hour or so edited broadcast of the Austrian GP.

And in 1978 DR indeed broadcast the Monaco GP, once again not the entire race - we got the early laps, and then the last part, but missed Lauda's pit stop at lap 45 (and, if my memory doesn't fail me, Watson's stop which gave Depailler the lead).

DR also broadcasted the Dutch GP of 1978 live.

I recall watching the first start of Italy 1978, with the huge crash the claimed Ronnie. Afterwards the second start was delayed when Scheckter  put his Wolf in the fence at the first Lesmo, causing a repair of the armco, before the race could go ahead. The 17-18 schedule mentioned was not the originally schedule, but as the race got postponed, the managed to add that hour - incidentally I seem to recall the time ran out before the race was finished, and this time no re-scheduling was possible, so we never got see the chequered flag...

#112 dweller23

dweller23

• 630 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 17:48

That's great information, thank you for that. If you have any additional information about DR broadcasts (such as any other races or commentators) don't hesitate to share. :)

It's good to see people from more and more countries in this thread, increases the chances for this list to be completed. I just hope some South American TNFers will look here as well at some point and help out with broadcasts in Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Peru and Venezuela.

#113 Spaceframe

Spaceframe

• 231 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:33

That's great information, thank you for that. If you have any additional information about DR broadcasts (such as any other races or commentators) don't hesitate to share. :)

You're welcome!

Motor racing wasn't exactly a favourite of DR's sport editors - Finn Kobberø's main expertise was in badminton (he won quite a few mens' and mixed doubles at the All England) - so they didn't have a regular comentator. I seem to recall Hans Grønfeldt (main interest handball), Palle Holgersen (boxing and cycling) and later in the 70s Jørgen Steen Nielsen all having a go.

Slightly off topic: DR did broadcast Le Mans 1972 - the start and a couple of short updates on Saturday evening plus the finish on Sunday. It could well have been the legendary Gunnar "Nu" (now) Hansen commentating on this occasion. I seem to recall him talking about Jo Bonnier - and that DR showed a huge crash of Bonnier's. The viewers could then think it was the fatal accident, but really it was rom an earlier date, a late 60s BOAC 500, if my memory doesn't fail me.

#114 seb333

seb333

• 17 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 15:23

Given the commentators accent I'd say it's from a Belgian TV broadcast. But no historical knowledge behind that...

Some people probably know this video of 1977 Canadian GP:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=DpZnE7gj0gY

Does anyone have an idea where could it be from? French language suggests either French or Quebec TV. The changes between shots make it look like world feed, which is currently the only suggestion that there ever was one. I know that French TF1 showed highlights of the race in AutoMoto magazine and that segment is definitely not from that show. Unfortunately, Montreal Gazette doesn't mention any broadcast of that race in any TV station. The only race from that week is Michigan 150 on CTV mixed with lumberjack world championships from Quebec...

#115 dweller23

dweller23

• 630 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:15

You're welcome!

Motor racing wasn't exactly a favourite of DR's sport editors - Finn Kobberø's main expertise was in badminton (he won quite a few mens' and mixed doubles at the All England) - so they didn't have a regular comentator. I seem to recall Hans Grønfeldt (main interest handball), Palle Holgersen (boxing and cycling) and later in the 70s Jørgen Steen Nielsen all having a go.

Slightly off topic: DR did broadcast Le Mans 1972 - the start and a couple of short updates on Saturday evening plus the finish on Sunday. It could well have been the legendary Gunnar "Nu" (now) Hansen commentating on this occasion. I seem to recall him talking about Jo Bonnier - and that DR showed a huge crash of Bonnier's. The viewers could then think it was the fatal accident, but really it was rom an earlier date, a late 60s BOAC 500, if my memory doesn't fail me.

Thanks.

Given the commentators accent I'd say it's from a Belgian TV broadcast. But no historical knowledge behind that...

This video is from Canadian TV documentary about Gilles Villeneuve which was screened a bit after his fatal accident, I believe.