Photo

You fail motorsport forever.

• Please log in to reply
330 replies to this topic

#301 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,750 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 19:57

While in the US my name becomes Wricardo... there's no way around it.

Advertisement

#302 4L3X

4L3X

• 2,013 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 20:28

While in the US my name becomes Wricardo... there's no way around it.

I know, right. I love the way English sounds, but this "r" is simply unbearable. I have lots of "r"s in my name, it sounds terrible. Why can't they use the many "r"s available instead (the French, the Italian, etc.) Guess it's just too hard, just like words like Northern are for me...LOL. I can pronounce it, but I have to really make an effort everytime.

#303 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 21:12

Michael/My-kle Schumacher/Shoe-marker or (i think this is dutch)

Me-kell Shoe-marrrrkerr and then the bri version...

My-kle Shoe-makka

Being Australia, i pronounce the first one, I hate hearing Schumakka.

And alsartin likes to call debris (pronounced in Aus Dabree (no sylabals) Deb-ri (2 sylabals)

#304 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 22:10

Nice but not good enough. I checked Tiago Monteiro and Sérgio Perez and both of them are adapting their names to the ears of the English speakers.

Pérez mispronounces both his name and surname! Perez, an spanish surname, is pronounced Pérez, never Peréz! :drunk:

#305 Missyb

Missyb

• 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 22:16

One of my first gaming experiences was on a late 90s F1 game, drove straight into the wall at the first corner loads of times and had to restart because I didn't know about braking.

I went one step further when I was 13 and my Dad let me drive his over sized Audi because I moaned on and on. I didn't know braking existed. I crashed into a shed. My Dad had assumed because I'd been watching F1 since forever, that I would have known...

On a totally OT note (but it makes me laugh everytime) I used to think Arsenal FC were named after Arsene Wenger.

#306 andrewr

andrewr

• 289 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 22:21

How is "zhahn" supposed to sound like Jean?

I guess zh (like a "soft" sh) is the closest way in written English to represent the French way of pronouncing the letter J.

#307 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 22:29

I went one step further when I was 13 and my Dad let me drive his over sized Audi because I moaned on and on. I didn't know braking existed. I crashed into a shed. My Dad had assumed because I'd been watching F1 since forever, that I would have known...

On a totally OT note (but it makes me laugh everytime) I used to think Arsenal FC were named after Arsene Wenger.

I used to think they sung his name at the start of the Lion King until I heard about 4 years ago it was some Swahili or suchlike.

#308 DukeSpecial

DukeSpecial

• 46 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:26

I used to think they sung his name at the start of the Lion King until I heard about 4 years ago it was some Swahili or suchlike.

Totally OT but I was at a conference where one of the speakers was called Poonum Makwama.......

#309 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,036 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:49

There is no accent anywhere on "Vergne" - so it's more VAIR-nie. (I cannot figure out how to transcribe the 'gn'-sound... like in champagne, although the French pronunciation of champagne is quite different from the english one, but that's probably as close as you can get without learning a language). Those who pronounce it Vergné fail :p

Even more funny is the pronunciation of Chinese names by TV commentators! During the Chinese GP week-end I fell of the sofa a couple of times when commentators tried to pronounce the local names (then again, Wade-Giles is probably a little bit more intuitive than pinyin).

What would it take RTL or Sky to just check up the pronunciation of a couple of names?

#310 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,479 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:00

I guess zh (like a "soft" sh) is the closest way in written English to represent the French way of pronouncing the letter J.

Suddenly is makes sense.

#311 manmower

manmower

• 381 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:23

Alternatively you could consider Jean as Zsau(n), with the 'zs' pronounced as in Zsa Zsa Gabor. :lol:

#312 sumpthy

sumpthy

• 290 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:31

This website should settle (as in, rhymes with "Vettel") a few arguments. Unfortunately Vergne is not yet on the list.

LOL. I love "My name is Mark Webber and it's pronounced... uhh Mark Webber."

#313 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:37

There is no accent anywhere on "Vergne" - so it's more VAIR-nie.

It's more like "Vern", just one syllable.

#314 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 17:49

I like how Will Power and Scott Speed are like...I haven't heard any really bad pronunciations cos it's a pretty simple name.

#315 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,124 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 19:06

Browsing back over a couple of threads, made me inclined to say this:

ABC - YOU FAIL MOTORSPORT.

Based on their horrendous efforts for the Indycar series.... sorry, the next set of "words from our sponsors" rudely interrupted by a lap or 2 of racing.

That's not even bringing into the domain, consideration towards showing drivers & team personnel in tears at Las Vegas before they manage to miss the official announcement of the tragedy. Twice. Or showing "one last replay"..... and then showing 5. Wankers.

#316 Luca Pacchiarini

Luca Pacchiarini

• 416 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 19:37

(I'm not sure, but I think Pantano means moor or any place where you can get stuck in the mud)

Puddle of mud, exactly :)

#317 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,494 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:07

8 years old and my first time on a minibike my dad bought me. Got the way the throttle works mixed up so when I wanted to stop I was just speeding up and going flat out! Crashed into his mates parked car a moment after he was able to pull me off it. Scared the crap out of me!

#318 Beatrix

Beatrix

• 146 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:08

Growing up in Australia and not being an avid viewer of motorsports as a young lass, I only really knew about Australian touring cars, Jack Brabham, Alan Jones and Ayrton Senna. I subsequently thought that F1 was hosted in Australia - that is every circuit on the calender is in Australia. This was further confirmed by Magny Cours (The Maggnee Course, I would pronounce it) having a corner called Adelaide, which seemed to fit the GP hosted in South Australia. The Monaco "Swimming Pool" was of course, my local swimming pool...

#319 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,071 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:13

Browsing back over a couple of threads, made me inclined to say this:

ABC - YOU FAIL MOTORSPORT.

Based on their horrendous efforts for the Indycar series.... sorry, the next set of "words from our sponsors" rudely interrupted by a lap or 2 of racing.

That's not even bringing into the domain, consideration towards showing drivers & team personnel in tears at Las Vegas before they manage to miss the official announcement of the tragedy. Twice. Or showing "one last replay"..... and then showing 5. Wankers.

'..and of course, all of us here at ABC pray that we receive good news from the hospital about Dan Wheldon..'

'..and in the meantime, here are a list of other drivers who died the same year they won the Indy 500'.

Advertisement

#320 macfannz

macfannz

• 12 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:46

As it is my first post, I better start by fessing up with a good fail. I recall a few years back when starting to follow F1 being puzzled by what I thought was Ferrari's sponser "Scuderia". Never understood why there was never any Scuderia branding or found out what they sold :drunk:

#321 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 689 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 18:06

I always pronounced his name "Barishelo" :p

#322 4L3X

4L3X

• 2,013 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 18:21

Err...When he first arrived I used to pronounce Webber with a "v" (like a German would I guess), because I thought we has German. I took it that American Commentators would say it right, like they did with BMW (dabliu, not "bm*v*"). They get out of their ways with other names (like Kubica) though, which annoys me, so I took it then that Webber was one which should be "v" but they lazily did a "ue" instead.

#323 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,869 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:06

8 years old and my first time on a minibike my dad bought me. Got the way the throttle works mixed up so when I wanted to stop I was just speeding up and going flat out! Crashed into his mates parked car a moment after he was able to pull me off it. Scared the crap out of me!

Only time ever I drove a go-kart, I was 10 years old, cruised around the track for 10 minutes with no incidents. When it came to stop the kart in the pits... I mistook the throttle pedal for the brakes and slammed it into the wall!

#324 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 967 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:46

I used to think that Red Bull was a brand of motor oil.

#325 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,966 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 20:08

I used to think that Red Bull was a brand of motor oil.

Having drunk Red Bull, I still do.

#326 Missyb

Missyb

• 19 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 20:21

:up: Too true.

#327 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,271 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 20:30

+1 :up:

#328 manmower

manmower

• 381 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 20:34

Definitely looks the part, too. :)

#329 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,495 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 23:36

I don't know whether this counts as fail, but I suppose so.

I used to race karts with one of my brothers. Once we were testing different setups. Seeing that I was quite faster than him I wanted to have his opinion on my setup and check his.

Now I just did not feel like going into the box and have to explain why I had stopped, have by brother brought in and have to wait for him to come. So I waited for him (we had the track for ourselves) in the farthest possible place of the circuit and I stopped in a conspicuous place, so that he would have to stop and ask me why I was there. My plan was that we would then compare and swap karts.

This place was after a very fast right hander. When he came, full throttle and all, he tried to avoid me, spun the kart in order to slow it, but could not avoid me and we still collided quite heavily.

Explaining that in the box was much less easy than to have stopped, call by brother and swap karts...

#330 HP

HP

• 14,385 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:23

Not a fail, but I used to say mega chicane for Gaston Mazzacane, in light if what he usually was on track. Especially if spelled using French it rhymes :p

#331 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 967 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:35

Until recently I thought Dan Gurney's longtime Indy sponsor Olsonite made luggage (the only reason being it sounded like Samsonite). Turns out they made toilet seats!