Photo

Wyer GT40 at Daytona in 1967

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cabianca

cabianca

• 712 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 22:51

John Wyer intended to enter his Mirages in the 1967 Sports Car World Championship. They were not ready by Daytona, so Grady Davis of Gulf Oil sent his GT40 Mi 1 back to JWA to be prepared for Daytona. After the failure of the GT40 Mk 2s, The Wyer/Davis Mk 1, driven by Dick Thompson and Jacky Ickx finished 6th, winning the over 2000cc Sports class. Somewhere, I once read that the car failed in the last 15 minutes of the race. I have some doubts about this because in no results have I ever seen the car classified as NRF. Can anyone help.

BTW, this was the first race of the Gulf/Wyer collaboration that established the Gulf tradition in international racing that continues this year with the Gulf Aston Martins in the WEC.

Advertisement

#2 buckaluck

buckaluck

• 149 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:13

John Wyer intended to enter his Mirages in the 1967 Sports Car World Championship. They were not ready by Daytona, so Grady Davis of Gulf Oil sent his GT40 Mi 1 back to JWA to be prepared for Daytona. After the failure of the GT40 Mk 2s, The Wyer/Davis Mk 1, driven by Dick Thompson and Jacky Ickx finished 6th, winning the over 2000cc Sports class. Somewhere, I once read that the car failed in the last 15 minutes of the race. I have some doubts about this because in no results have I ever seen the car classified as NRF. Can anyone help.

BTW, this was the first race of the Gulf/Wyer collaboration that established the Gulf tradition in international racing that continues this year with the Gulf Aston Martins in the WEC.

Well i'm suprised that the cars ran as Mirages in 67 and in Gulf colors I thought it was all about the MK IV's that year but we all know the GT40 Mirage that ran at Le Mans in 68/69 since the car won both years and that is quite a feat.
To my knowledge i'm not sure where that car is private hands or museum either way that car would command a high price in auction. I'm sure someone can tell me where it is i'd like to knowand then it must be rare if we know where the car from 67 is as well I mean the Gulf livery car we are speaking of.

#3 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:24

The car that won Le Mans in '68/69 was a Ford GT40 and not a Mirage. A Mirage was a separate (JW ) model and treated as such by the F.I.A. They look similar, but have subtle differences, the Mirage having a smoother roofline aero, amongst other things. If my memory is correct, Ickx won a Spa racein a Mirage, with Dick Thompson.

#4 Jean L

Jean L

• 274 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:10

Mirage M10002 of 1967 become GT40 1074 in 1968.
Mirage M10003 of 1967 become GT40 1075 in 1968.
Same cars.

#5 FlatEight

FlatEight

• 8 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:57

The Ickx/Thompson GT40 chassis 1049, Grady Davis "road car" adapted to endurance racing (BRM Wheels, id. lights on roof and behind rear wheel, ...) and wore the "original" Gulf Colors dark blue with orange striping. It ran Daytona and Sebring '67. So history goes.

#6 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 13:37

The car that won Le Mans in '68/69 was a Ford GT40 and not a Mirage. A Mirage was a separate (JW ) model and treated as such by the F.I.A. They look similar, but have subtle differences, the Mirage having a smoother roofline aero, amongst other things. If my memory is correct, Ickx won a Spa racein a Mirage, with Dick Thompson.

Correct Sterling & irrespective of what they turned into, the Mirage M1 was a prototype running a 5.7L engine.
The Wyer GT40's of 68 & 69 were entered in the "Sports" class fitted with the 4.7L engine compliant with the class

#7 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 13:52

To my knowledge i'm not sure where that car is private hands or museum either way that car would command a high price in auction. I'm sure someone can tell me where it is i'd like to knowand then it must be rare if we know where the car from 67 is as well I mean the Gulf livery car we are speaking of.

Last I heard, Ford GT-40 #1075, the 1968 and 1969 Le Mans winner, was owned by Rob Walton.
Tom

#8 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 13:59

I'm sure someone can tell me where it is

http://www.racingicons.com/gt/1049.htm

#9 cabianca

cabianca

• 712 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 18:35

The Ickx/Thompson GT40 chassis 1049, Grady Davis "road car" adapted to endurance racing (BRM Wheels, id. lights on roof and behind rear wheel, ...) and wore the "original" Gulf Colors dark blue with orange striping. It ran Daytona and Sebring '67. So history goes.

Flat eight is correct re chassis 1049 and dark blue w/orange stripe was how it ran at Daytona and Sebring. With the coming of the Mirages later in the season, Wyer's colors of powder blue and marigold orange were used. These survive today in the Gulf-sponsored Aston Martin that will compete in the 2012 World Endurance Championship.

Back to my original query, does anyone know of 1049 was running at the end of the 1967 Daytona 24 Hours or was its sixth achieved while waiting in the pits.

#10 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 19:39

There is no mention in either Motor Sport or Autosport of it stopping. Both refer to oil pressure and overheating problems.