Photo

How many different teams/drivers scored a win in one season?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Skellen

Skellen

• 513 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:45

In this season, after three races we had already 3 different winners in 3 different teams.
That gave me thought of in which season there was the biggest variety in winners/teams getting a win. Are we ahead of a new record-breaking one with RBR and Lotus still being close to achieving a win?
As far as I remember,in 2008 there were quite a few, with Ferrari, McLaren, BMW, STR and Renault.

Advertisement

#2 mandaemon

mandaemon

• 109 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:47

In this season, after three races we had already 3 different winners in 3 different teams.
That gave me thought of in which season there was the biggest variety in winners/teams getting a win. Are we ahead of a new record-breaking one with RBR and Lotus still being close to achieving a win?
As far as I remember,in 2008 there were quite a few, with Ferrari, McLaren, BMW, STR and Renault.

In 1982, there were 11 drivers in 16 races. Nobody won more than twice.

#3 Skellen

Skellen

• 513 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:49

Hard to beat.

#4 oetzi

oetzi

• 6,829 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:58

Watching a race without a clear idea who's going to win before the start is so much more fun. I started watching in the late 70s, properly in the early eighties, and it was like that back then. If it's going back to that because of tyres, DRS, weaather, whatever, it certainly cheers up race day. You can argue it's artificial, but with the amount of analytical power the teams have, the introduction of a couple of highly unpredictable elements has really spiced up the racing.

It would be great to get say ten winners in 20 races, and it's not impossible. You wouldn't bet against Hamilton winning one race, or either of the Red Bulls, so that would be six. I wouldn't be surprised to see Schumacher, Massa, either of the Saubers or Renaults, and maybe even a Williams win if things go their way. So much better than wondering if someone will be able to get ahead of a Red Bull of the line and hold the up for 60 laps. Long may it continue!

#5 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 13:21

The year Rosberg was champion!

#6 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,596 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 16:53

12 winners if Pironi hadn't nicked Imola from Villeneuve.

#7 Leyser

Leyser

• 1,561 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 17:34

Hard to beat.

Not entirely implausible though, since we have already seen two wins from a pair of cars that were not expected to do it this season. Given the length of the season, the nature of the drivers and cars, and with the variance in the performance of the tyres and cars we have seen thus far, it is plausible that we will also see wins from both Red Bulls (+2), Hamilton (1), a Sauber (1-2), a Renault (1-2), and Schumacher (1).
Certainly we will have a much more open season than 2011, which saw all but one win go to a red bull or a mclaren.

#8 GrzegorzChyla

GrzegorzChyla

• 400 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 18:02

with just one win

#9 nordschleife

nordschleife

• 940 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 18:11

with just one win

Which was one less than anyone else, accomplished with half the hp and half the budget of some competitors, started the season as clear #2, did one race less than some other contenders due to his team boycotting race 4, didn't get 82 chassis until race 5 ...

Edited by nordschleife, 15 April 2012 - 19:04.

#10 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 19:18

More recently we had eight different winners in 2003.

#11 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 19:39

Which was one less than anyone else, accomplished with half the hp and half the budget of some competitors, started the season as clear #2, did one race less than some other contenders due to his team boycotting race 4, didn't get 82 chassis until race 5 ...

And got a 2nd place finish disqualified for a ridiculous reason. That Williams was multiple seconds off the pace of the turbo cars on some tracks. Like around 5 secs if I remember correctly.

#12 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 19:41

I'm quite interested to see what Maldonado can do around Monaco this year. He's always been quick around the principality.

#13 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 19:50

I remember there being a Senna who was really fast around that track as well. I wonder if this new one has any of that in him.

#14 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,766 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 20:23

Interesting fact :)

#15 Withnail

Withnail

• 59 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:54

Including the end of last year, we've had 6 winners in the last 6 races - first time that's happened since 1999/2000.

#16 Withnail

Withnail

• 59 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:56

Not entirely implausible though, since we have already seen two wins from a pair of cars that were not expected to do it this season. Given the length of the season, the nature of the drivers and cars, and with the variance in the performance of the tyres and cars we have seen thus far, it is plausible that we will also see wins from both Red Bulls (+2), Hamilton (1), a Sauber (1-2), a Renault (1-2), and Schumacher (1).
Certainly we will have a much more open season than 2011, which saw all but one win go to a red bull or a mclaren.

I like the fact that you're not even considering Massa to have a chance! :lol:

#17 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,309 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:30

To be fair, it's hard to see Alonso challenging for another win any time soon... :|

#18 sock22

sock22

• 408 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:03

Including the end of last year, we've had 6 winners in the last 6 races - first time that's happened since 1999/2000.

It happened in the middle of 2009 as well

#19 Pharazon

Pharazon

• 1,156 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:07

massa could be in a car a second a lap faster than anyone else and he'd still find a way to fk it up

Advertisement

#20 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,677 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:31

It happened in the middle of 2009 as well

Well spotted!

Interestingly it was Rubens Barrichello who ended the series!

#21 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:13

Hard to beat.

It was a perfect storm of factors: the field was close that year and the serious crashes and replacements mid-season in the front runners helped those numbers. When was the last time a team lost both drivers for injury? Ferrari even got Mario to fill in for Monza.

#22 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 17:17

The record in the modern era seems to be the 2003 season when there was a surprising result when Alonso won and an absolutely shocking result when Fisichella won in a Jordan who could barely scrape another point that season! Given that it was so competative between the three big teams, it meant that there were 8 winners in total.

The problem with getting more winners than that seems to be that the success and speed of each team is going to be relative to the other teams. If the Lotus is so fast that Grosjean can win races, Raikkonen might rack up enough wins that none of the other teams can get much of a look in, while Red Bull and Mercedes each have two very good, very consistant drivers who won't fall off the road often enough to let the next best car win. And that's to say nothing of the challenge of getting past McLaren...

If absolutely everything goes right, I could see that figure of 8 being repeated this year. This consists of:
- The three winners we've already head.
- Hamilton
- Two or three drivers from the other top teams depending on which one does best in the development race:
-- Vettel, Webber and Schumacher/Raikkonen if the Red Bull finds its form (very likely).
-- Raikkonen, Grosjean and one of the Bulls if the Lotus is much better (much less likely).
-- Schumacher and one of the Red Bulls if the Mercedes is as good as it looked this weekend.
- One freak winner. The most likely candidate seems to be a Sauber in very cold conditions.

I think it's most likely we'll see 6 or 7 winners this season. I hope I'm proven wrong as it would be pretty exciting if Sauber, Williams and Lotus could add themselves to the list of winning teams while Hamilton does a Rosberg and wins the Championship with a single late season race victory!