Photo

Brooklands lady racer '20s - '30s

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 The Chasm

The Chasm

• 185 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 19:43

Can anyone point me in the direction of a source to research the racing exploits of one Mrs Maitland at the Brokklands Motor Racing Circuit in the 1920's or 30's.

Later today I should have a christian name to add to the surname. She could have raced under her maiden name, and I will also have that later today.

Thanks in anticipation.

Advertisement

#2 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,724 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 20:09

I wonder if she was married to or sister of Angus Maitland ?

See here

http://descentfromad...track-triumphs/

#3 The Chasm

The Chasm

• 185 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:33

OK, a bit more detail.

Jean Redmond Collingridge married John K. Maitland in 1925 when she was 22, so that narrows the search time frame for each of her surnames.

So I'm looking for J.R. Collingridge from say 1920 - 1925 & J.R. Maitland (or Mrs J.K Maitland) from 1925 - 1940 ?.

No idea if Angus Maitland is connected yet - more family information to come soon (perhaps) ?.

#4 The Chasm

The Chasm

• 185 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 21:11

Could it be possible this lady was one of the MG Works Lady Drivers at Brooklands - does anyone have a list of the "Works" drivers.

She was mentioned in a book as being known for driving her unique road MG at 85MPH in the late 1930's, so maybe she had an earlier connection to MG.

Thanks In Anticipation

Tony

#5 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 22:06

I don't know of any works ladies' MG team at Brooklands, though the existence of one - in one of the relay races, perhaps - seems likely

At Le Mans in 1935 membership of “George Eyston’s Dancing Daughters” team of semi-official MG PAs comprised Joan Richmond, Miss Gordon Simpson, Doreen Evans, Barbara Skinner, Margaret Allen and Colleen Watson

In 1937 Dortohy Stanley-Turner and Joan Riddell were fourth in class in a PB

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,849 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 22:12

MG didn't run a works team as such. Some private entrants received more help than others but MG were really in the business of selling cars, not racing them, even though they did have a competition department!

Bear in mind that "Brooklands driver" can cover a multitude of sins, not just racing. There are many minor events listed in Bill Boddy's history: records of most - if they ever existed - are lost in the mists of time. These can take many forms: motor gymkhanas, manoeuvrabilty tests, climbs on the Test Hill, sprints, reliability trials of various sorts. But afterwards it entitled you to say "I competed at Brooklands."

Or she might even have been one of the "society girls" who took part in the infamous so-called race organised by Barbara Cartland.

The best source for info on lady drivers is Speedqueens. No Jean Collingridge or Jean Maitland though. Certainly not a name I've come across and I doubt more than about 30 ladies raced at Brooklands in that time frame.

What book is the source for the "85mph MG" reference?

#7 The Chasm

The Chasm

• 185 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:40

The book is called "Sugar Mice and Sticklebacks", published in the late 1990's I think, and Mrs Maitland is mentioned driving at 85MPH on page 65.

"We travelled to Regent's Park Zoo by means of several cars, our car being driven by Mrs Maitland, a diminutive lady who raced cars at Brooklands Park racing circuit. Traffic was fairly light in those days and as we were approaching London on the Great Cambridge Road we could see a motor cycle in the distance. Mrs.Maitland asked us if we'd like to overtake it and of course we said "yes". With that she put her toe down hard on the accelerator and we shot past the astonished motor cyclist at 85 m.p.h This was absolute magic and was talked about for days afterwards."

It is not a book on motor racing, so the facts are probably exagerated, but I'd still like to find any details of her racing exploits if it has survived the mists of time. I understand she was driving an MG that I now own at the time quoted above - a TA, where the speedo is in front of the passengers, while the Tacho is in front of the driver - hence the reference to speed !!.

Tony

Edited by The Chasm, 19 April 2012 - 10:42.

#8 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 21:26

I don't know of any works ladies' MG team at Brooklands, though the existence of one - in one of the relay races, perhaps - seems likely

At Le Mans in 1935 membership of “George Eyston’s Dancing Daughters” team of semi-official MG PAs comprised Joan Richmond, Miss Gordon Simpson, Doreen Evans, Barbara Skinner, Margaret Allen and Colleen Watson

In 1937 Dortohy Stanley-Turner and Joan Riddell were fourth in class in a PB

There were semi-works relay teams at Brooklands - Singer and MG vied for the ladies' title in 1934, during the LCC's big relay. I've never read of a Jean Maitland being among their number.

There were a few lady rally drivers of the time named Jean, but no Jean Maitland. If there wasn't the evidence that she actually existed, I would assume that the author was mistaking her for someone else - Ivy Cummings or Doreen Evans, for example.

There is a small chance she was part of the "Society Ladies' Handicap". I've never seen the full "entry list" for that.

#9 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,530 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 23:03

Jean Redmond Collingridge married John K. Maitland in 1925 when she was 22, so that narrows the search time frame for each of her surnames.

So I'm looking for J.R. Collingridge from say 1920 - 1925 & J.R. Maitland (or Mrs J.K Maitland) from 1925 - 1940 ?.

No idea if Angus Maitland is connected yet - more family information to come soon (perhaps) ?.

She appears in the 1911 census as Jean Redman Collingridge (as written by her father). Her father was a "Newspaper proprietor and printer"
Her parents were Hugh Collingridge and Florence Margaret Stuart Black

JKM was ten years her senior and a Tea Merchant's clerk. His father (John, born in Scotland) was a Tea Merchant (Director)

Edited by Geoff E, 20 April 2012 - 23:08.