• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#101 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,515 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:54

Thank you for that, much appreciated.

It raises the question as to whether Teagno was a pro-Mussolini 'fascist' or the victim of communist partisans who murdered people on the basis of their ideology, as apparently happened in France too.

Pro-Mussolini, apparently. I've had a PM conversation with another TNFer about this: Teagno was said to be a captain in the Salo Republic's infamous paramilitaries, the Brigate Nere. We're getting a bit O/T, but I'm currently reading 'Liberation', by William I Hitchcock, which is very revealing on this subject. (The US edition is called 'The Bitter Road to Freedom', which is the subtitle of the UK edition)

Advertisement

#102 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,737 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:23

Pro-Mussolini, apparently. I've had a PM conversation with another TNFer about this: Teagno was said to be a captain in the Salo Republic's infamous paramilitaries, the Brigate Nere. We're getting a bit O/T, but I'm currently reading 'Liberation', by William I Hitchcock, which is very revealing on this subject. (The US edition is called 'The Bitter Road to Freedom', which is the subtitle of the UK edition)

This information just might find its way into my 'Klem' book if I'm not too late, if so perhaps you would be kind enough to agree to this and also give me your name for the Acknowledgements section.

#103 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,515 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:58

This information just might find its way into my 'Klem' book if I'm not too late, if so perhaps you would be kind enough to agree to this and also give me your name for the Acknowledgements section.

Check your PMs, Paul. :)

#104 Siddley

Siddley

• 174 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 15:52

communist partisans who murdered people on the basis of their ideology, as apparently happened in France too.

No apparently involved - my late father came across such a scene in a wood on the outskirts of Paris in 1944. I'll spare the details, but it was extremely unpleasant.

Back on topic I wonder if it could be argued that some drivers in the Carrera Panamericana were murdered by spectators. They had a habit of arranging 'accidents' by moving road signs and placing obstacles just around blind corners. I think Phil Hill was nearly caught out by one of these traps.

#105 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,515 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 16:16

No apparently involved - my late father came across such a scene in a wood on the outskirts of Paris in 1944. I'll spare the details, but it was extremely unpleasant.

Indeed. The number of 'collabos' who were summarily disposed of is believed to run to a figure somewhere north of ten thousand in France alone. I don't think the true numbers will ever be known.