Photo

Thruxton F2 1977 poser

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:48

I am going through my programme collection collating results against the info available on the web.

I kept a fastidious programme with all the info at my disposal at the time, however here is the bit that makes me wonder.

In the programme as printed it list Fred Opert's entries as
21 Keijo Rosberg
22 Wink Bancroft
I have written in that they raced as Rosberg 22 and Bancroft as 21

Is there any one who knows the correct way round, team member Thruxton expert.?

As i have Rosberg 22 in 8th while the F2 Register has Bancfoft 22 in 8th.

A confused Pete

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:19

The F1R Black Book lists Rosberg as #21 and Bancroft as #22, with Bancroft finishing 8th and Rosberg retiring on lap 48 with clutch trouble. This is corroborated by the report in MN, which describes in the text how Rosberg's clutch had disintegrated just as he had got up into third place. There's also a photo captioned as Rosberg, and he's in car #21.

#3 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:21

I am going through my programme collection collating results against the info available on the web.

I kept a fastidious programme with all the info at my disposal at the time, however here is the bit that makes me wonder.

In the programme as printed it list Fred Opert's entries as
21 Keijo Rosberg
22 Wink Bancroft
I have written in that they raced as Rosberg 22 and Bancroft as 21

Is there any one who knows the correct way round, team member Thruxton expert.?

As i have Rosberg 22 in 8th while the F2 Register has Bancfoft 22 in 8th.

A confused Pete

Motoring News has a photo of Rosberg driving number 21 and has Bancroft finishing eighth.

#4 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,583 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:23

The F1R Black Book lists Rosberg as #21 and Bancroft as #22, with Bancroft finishing 8th and Rosberg retiring on lap 48 with clutch trouble. This is corroborated by the report in MN, which describes in the text how Rosberg's clutch had disintegrated just as he had got up into third place. There's also a photo captioned as Rosberg, and he's in car #21.

Just double checked my photos of the event and Rosberg was 21 and Bancroft 22 - BTW Hans Royer also raced an Opert Chevron with 25 on the flanks.

:wave:

#5 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:30

Thanks for the confirmation, i seem to remember an information sheet with the number swap, but obviously that was false info or is it?

Now that is interesting as i have my own lap chart and car no 22 got up to 3rd place on lap 48 which according to most of you is Bancroft.

Even more confused .lol

Photo evidence is hard to contradict though,

Pete

Edited by petestenning, 22 April 2012 - 08:36.

#6 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:49

Thanks for the confirmation, i seem to remember an information sheet with the number swap, but obviously that was false info or is it?

Now that is interesting as i have my own lap chart and car no 22 got up to 3rd place on lap 48 which according to most of you is Bancroft.

Even more confused .lol

Photo evidence is hard to contradict though,

Pete

The caption on the Rosberg photo in Motoring News states that "The Finn retired when running third."

#7 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:30

A photo is hard to argue with but so is a lap chart. Why would Pete see the #21 come round each lap and write down #22 on his lap chart? This is a genuine puzzle.

Steve - is is definitely Rosberg's helmet in the 21? And are your pictures definitely race day?

#8 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 16:46

I have wondered about my lap chart as it would be awfully hard to change the number each lap ,

At least my chart does agree with one getting to 3rd then retiring, the other finished 8th . now the odd thing is that although i had 21 as in 8th place on the lap chart i do have 22 as finishing 8th lol. on the results section.

I am sure that the reports at the time are correct and that somehow i have the cars transposed ,

Pete

#9 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 582 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 20:13

I have wondered about my lap chart as it would be awfully hard to change the number each lap ,

At least my chart does agree with one getting to 3rd then retiring, the other finished 8th . now the odd thing is that although i had 21 as in 8th place on the lap chart i do have 22 as finishing 8th lol. on the results section.

I am sure that the reports at the time are correct and that somehow i have the cars transposed ,

Pete

I have done my share of race reporting, using car numbers as reference, lap by lap. During the first race weekend of the year most drivers and numbers would sit with me and that was what I jotted down - not the actual car number, but rather the car number I was thinking of in reference to a certain driver.

Jesper

#10 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 20:20

Unless I am dreaming, I am sure somebody posted some pictures of the Opert Chevrons at Thruxton on a thread, maybe six months or so ago. I am fairly certain they were from 1977 / 1978 / 1979.

Also, just found this on Mike Hayward's site: http://www.mikehaywa...-of-rosberg.htm

Edited by MCS, 22 April 2012 - 20:23.

#11 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,583 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:23

Steve - is is definitely Rosberg's helmet in the 21? And are your pictures definitely race day?

I checked both those I took on the Saturday as well as those on Monday and Rosberg carried 21 on BOTH days.

:cool: