Photo

Rosberg "F1 is a complete different sport this days"

• Please log in to reply
1346 replies to this topic

#51 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:08

You guys are all just whining because once again Vettel won. I saw none of this shit when Button won, when Rosberg won, when Alonso won(!)

I see this shit all the time. When Vettel is on pole, everyone complains about qualifying. When he wins a race, everyone finds something to complain about. The sport is broken. Blah blah blah

I was 'whining about it' most of last year, and most of this year, even when my beloved Hamilton was leading the world championship despite these tyres not playing anything like near to his strengths. As Mark Hughes said as early as the Chinese GP 2011, they're a facsimile of real racing. I've also noticed how the 'you're only whining cos it hurts your driver' is the only argument people have to counter ours, which isn't an argument at all, just an observation.

Edited by PretentiousBread, 22 April 2012 - 15:09.

Advertisement

#52 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

No, Bring back Goodyear.

:up:

#53 sharo

sharo

• 1,767 posts

You guys are all just whining because once again Vettel won. I saw none of this shit when Button won, when Rosberg won, when Alonso won(!)

I see this shit all the time. When Vettel is on pole, everyone complains about qualifying. When he wins a race, everyone finds something to complain about. The sport is broken. Blah blah blah

Would you please refrain from giving collective judgements?
I support Vettel for a fact and people's (and it seems drivers' too) frustration has nothing to do with kindergarten passions.

#54 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,936 posts

Actually 2010 Bridgestones were too hard, you could do 40 qualifying laps and they would still have some decent grip left.

that's abit overstatement, in 2010 tyre management, making it last as long as possible, was very important, and teams/drivers went for that strategy because on-track overtaking was too difficult. Hungary 2010 was good display of what was actually possible. With DRS and better KERS, F1 with Bridgestone now would be more "racing" and actually more exciting than it currently is I'm pretty sure.
Again not Pirelli's fault tho.

#55 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:09

TBH, there was nothing "fantastic" about the race today. There were SOME passes but they had nothing to do with tires, it was down to DRS (dull boring passes) and some first lap battles.

In fact if Raikkonen was on Bridgestones he probably would've went for the gap on Vettel, since a lockup wouldn't have destroyed his race like it would on Pirelli.

#56 SuperSoft

SuperSoft

• 348 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:09

Tyres shouldn't dictate outcome. Aero shouldn't dictate outcome. Engine shouldn't dictate outcome. Seriously, F1 is not a spec series, I know you guys just want to see a pure drivers series but it will never be.

The races nowadays are fantastic. This season is looking to be amazing.

But it is not about having a pure drivers series, what it is about is having a motorsport where a driver can drive his car as fast as he can to try and pass the guy in front. And this is not happening. It can't happen because every single driver is constantly being told to slow down, save tyres, don't push etc...

That is not racing, no matter how you try to spin it how can you say this is more exciting?

We had the worlds best racing drivers out there today and the majority of them couldn't race because they were too scared of ruining their tyres.

No thanks. And if I was Alonso, Lewis, Button etc.. looking to put my name in the record books I would be looking elsewhere today, because clearly the drivers skills are becoming more and more irrelevant. Just push a button to pass and don't drive too fast? My gran could do that.

#57 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:10

I have no problem with the tyres in the races as I think it has produced quite interesting races. Qualifyingwise I don't favor it that much. What's with not setting a lap time in order to save tyres?? Ridiculous.

#58 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:11

Only thing i dont like is it seems like it id pot luck as to weather the tyres will work for you during the race. How you suposed to get on top of the issue if its different every race.

:up:

For championship fight consistency, I think it's too random, if fans are expecting a title fight, it's good to have different winners, but if the level of performances are too extreme and too different because of dialing in tyres, then it's not too fun as your favorite teams will be out of conteition suddenly.

I said it many times before, get Sunday warm up back, because not allowing drivers to change set ups on Sunday from Saturday creates lottery, no one was expecting cool tempatures and a bit of rain today, drivers would change their set ups before 2003, stupid rule change.

Enjoyed the race, but I'm thinking too much about track tempertures and set ups, I knew it would change the balance of the race, yet this was influence by saturday, and saturday qualifying set up should not be race set up as well, teams should be allowed to work on their cars right up until race start on Sunday.

Edited by SeanValen, 22 April 2012 - 15:14.

#59 Hulkster

Hulkster

• 173 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:13

The tyres completely negate the advantage of being a fast driver.

Drive fast, ruin your race.

Advertisement

#60 P123

P123

• 7,919 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:13

The racing has been very strange this year. It seems almost by pure chance a driver will get the tyres in the very narrow operating window required for their particular car.

Button untouchable in Oz, Perez and Alonso in a different race in Malaysia, Rosberg in his tyre destoying Merc comfortably dominating China, and now Vettel and the two Renaults easily ahead of the rest in Bahrain...... very strange performance pattern throughout the field. At various other stages during the season all of these 'dominating' drivers have been floundering.

I don't think there is a problem with tyres that aren't durable, but this season either the quality of manufacture is badly lacking or the tyres are just generally crap and it's a lottery as to who will get them to work.

The tyres are perhaps too much of the story this season rather than car/ driver performance.

#61 r4mses

r4mses

• 1,094 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:14

Everyone wanted tyres which don't last a whole race distance. Now that they're available, everyone wants bridgeSTONES back. Meeeh.

#62 Goron3

Goron3

• 531 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:15

Why not? Does he wants only straights too? No Wet Races?

I think you misunderstood his comments? lol.

He's saying it's not racing if you are being told not to go any faster and keep that pace up for 10-15 laps. If you go too 'fast' you'll wreck them too easily. It's something that seriously needs to be discussed because the cars are seriously limited by their tyres now and not the race pace themselves. Last year Horner said quite a few times that the Pirelli's were limiting them and that seems to be much worse this year.

#63 P123

P123

• 7,919 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:18

Everyone wanted tyres which don't last a whole race distance. Now that they're available, everyone wants bridgeSTONES back. Meeeh.

Nah. Actually the best tyre would be the Michelins 0f '02/ '03 which used to go through a period of severe graining. It would be entertaining to see who would handle that stage of tyre performance best, before they came back to life.

The issue with the current Pirelli isn't really to do with durabillity (they are as durable as last season); it's to do with the apparent lottery of switching them on so that they are raceable.

#64 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,125 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:19

It's just making every race a huge raffle. It's not so much how good the car is, just how it's been set up and whether it matches the sweet spot which is so small and it can change depending on small changes in track temp.

#65 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:19

The difference is making the tyres work is harder and more perhaps lotteryish, championship cars are suddenly out of contention because setups on Saturday cannot be changed on Sunday, a stupid rule which creates lottery, was anyone expecting cooler track temps at Bahrain? Doubt it, did the FIA allow teams to change their set ups to make their tyres work? NO, BECAUSE YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO CHANGE A QUALI SET UP/BECAUSE QUALI SET UP IS NOW RACE SET UP ALSO, YOU CANNOT TOUCH THE CARS ON SUNDAY BEFORE THE RACE. THEY USED TO BE ABLE TO CHANGE SET UPS ON SUNDAY BEFORE 2003, WHAT'S THE POINT OF WORKING HARD ON A CAR TO MAKE IT FAST, THEN MISSING IMPORTANT POINTS BECAUSE TEMPERATURES CHANGE AND YOU CAN'T TOUCH THE CAR?

THIS IS A RULE CHANGE WHICH ANNOYS THE HELL OUT OF ME, A LOTTERY RULE CHANGE OF NO SUNDAY WARM UP, WHEN YOU DON'T NEED IT, WE HAVE COMPETITION, WE HAVE FAST CARS, BUT WE STILL HAVE LOTTERY RULES AND THAT IS THE PROBLEM

JEAN TODT NEEDS TO LOOK INTO IT :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I did enjoy the race, but the purity of the competition was a mess. Entertainment with comprimises -bittersweet

Edited by SeanValen, 22 April 2012 - 15:22.

#66 F575 GTC

F575 GTC

• 919 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:20

For me, the ideal scenario is to just let the teams go with whichever tyre manufacturer they want; here's the size regulations and tread depth etc - but just go with who you want. Schumacher is totally right in that what we've got at the moment isn't 'real' racing with regards to how the drivers aren't able to push due to the degredation. However, it's what the teams wanted so they've made their bed and now they've got lie in it.

#67 peroa

peroa

• 8,805 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:21

Nope, since the first winter tests in 2010/2011 some of us were saying that these tyres are more or less crap and they've managed to make them even worse this year.
All we want is a tyre that is degrading, let's say predictable and can be pushed to the limits of the car in the race.
It's not possible with these tyres.

#68 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:22

Whining since last July myself,when Pirelli dropped the Hard tire alltogether.The only one that allowed for ''some'' racing.

#69 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:23

The difference is making the tyres work is harder and more perhaps lotteryish, championship cars are suddenly out of contention because setups on Saturday cannot be changed on Sunday, a stupid rule which creates lottery, was anyone expecting cooler track temps at Bahrain? Doubt it, did the FIA allow teams to change their set ups to make their tyres work? NO, BECAUSE YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO CHANGE A QUALI SET UP/BECAUSE QUALI SET UP IS NOW RACE SET UP ALSO, YOU CANNOT TOUCH THE CARS ON SUNDAY BEFORE THE RACE. THEY USED TO BE ABLE TO CHANGE SET UPS ON SUNDAY BEFORE 2003, WHAT'S THE POINT OF WORKING HARD ON A CAR TO MAKE IT FAST, THEN MISSING IMPORTANT POINTS BECAUSE TEMPERATURES CHANGE AND YOU CAN'T TOUCH THE CAR?

THIS IS A RULE CHANGE WHICH ANNOYS THE HELL OUT OF ME, A LOTTERY RULE CHANGE OF NO SUNDAY WARM UP, WHEN YOU DON'T NEED IT, WE HAVE COMPETITION, WE HAVE FAST CARS, BUT WE STILL HAVE LOTTERY RULES AND THAT IS THE PROBLEM

JEAN TODT NEEDS TO LOOK INTO IT :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I did enjoy the race, but the purity of the competition was a mess. Entertainment with comprimises -bittersweet

+1

Parc Ferme is an outdated and horrible rule, doesn't do anything good for the sport.

#70 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 2,922 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:23

Will Buxton has tweeted:
Schumacher heavily critical of tyres in post race media scrums. Says racing to a delta time is not real racing. Wants words with Pirelli.

:clap:

#71 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,204 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:34

Tyres shouldn't dictate outcome. Aero shouldn't dictate outcome. Engine shouldn't dictate outcome. Seriously, F1 is not a spec series, I know you guys just want to see a pure drivers series but it will never be.

The races nowadays are fantastic. This season is looking to be amazing.

Almost bit after your opening statement but totally agree.

If everyone's got the same tyres it's fair as fair can be. Only the losers will ever whine.

The majority of this thread is pure BS, if you want a spec series go watch one! Even spec chassis formula have massive variations due to team experience etc. Nothing is ever totally fair in motorsport but F1 is more than fair and who deals with what he is given best deserves to win. The majority here who try to argue otherwise just end up looking like a whining fan boy TBH.

#72 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,936 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:34

Thing is, the current car, or chassis, require artificial tricks like DRS, push-to-pass style KERS, and "entertaining" tyres for the "show".

What Bridgestone was doing wasnt wrong, Pirreli isnt to blame for current tyres.

Then what really needs fix/change is...? go figure.

#73 slideways

slideways

• 3,180 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:36

I agree that I have missed that kind of maximum attack / sprint race the last era tyres delivered. But then I also hate DRS and to a degree KERS...

#74 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,018 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:37

THe rules are the same for everyone. I think having the element of finesse is a positive. Adds a variable to the formula that determines the result.

#75 AlexS

AlexS

• 2,301 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:41

If you go too 'fast' you'll wreck them too easily.

And? If you go too fast you go out of the track. In the past if you didn't cruised the engine could blow up, the brakes could fade and a failed gear change could spell the gearbox doom.
The best cars have been in front obviously like not in past but they aren't being passed by Marussia. Ferrari is consistently in last 10 places(edit: of the first 10), Lotus only because of bad luck/errors have not been more in front. Etc etc... A pilot like Di Resta , Perez etc can do it's day in the sun...

Edited by AlexS, 22 April 2012 - 15:43.

#76 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 1,756 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:44

"During the closing stages of the race, the priority for the drivers was to ensure that the tyres didn't fall off 'the cliff' of performance: a task that they all managed very well."

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/99088

Thank you Pirelli... :rolleyes:

#77 discover23

discover23

• 3,372 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:46

I think these tires but without DRS will not be as bad.

Edited by discover23, 22 April 2012 - 15:51.

#78 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,899 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:50

IMO, this stems from a lack of testing again. Absolute farce that every year there are new tyres, and the teams have 2 weeks of track time to get their new cars, and their new tyres working. If there was more time, and the tams understood the tyres better earlier, you would not be having these crazy races.

Later on in the year, I think we shall see it return to normal later on in the year, but really it should be better already.

#79 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 886 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:50

Having a tyre that degrades is a good thing, as it allows for some variety in strategy - but having a tyre that can be seconds faster/slower depending on whether it is switched on having such a narrow operating window that is so affected by ambient temperatures is a bit of a joke when you can't adjust the car to account for the wether on race day.

I don't see how it can have changed so much from last year.

Advertisement

#80 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,125 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:54

I've been moaning since the start of 2011, now it's got worse.

#81 Massa

Massa

• 4,166 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:54

Actually 2010 Bridgestones were too hard, you could do 40 qualifying laps and they would still have some decent grip left.

Yes, but with DRS and KERS, we will see a lot of passing.

#82 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:55

What is needed to win a race in F1 changes from year to year and, for that matter, from era to era.

I have no problem with the principle of tyre management/preservation being a key factor or even the key factor in 2012. What I am struggling to work out though is whether 'management' is actually a major factor with these new compounds/contstruction.

The narrow operating window (combined with parc ferme rules) look like relatively small changes in track conditions are making it impossible for some teams/drivers to stay within that window. Of course they can change pressures and front wing angles but as it stands there appears to be a degree of randomness if who is able to get their tyres working.

It may be that the engineers will get on top of this but at the moment, I am not convinced.

#83 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,125 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 16:00

We had an epic season in 2010 with these hard Bridgestones, couple that with DRS and KERS and it'd be awesome. No need for the degradation, just pure speed.

#84 BiH

BiH

• 2,302 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 16:07

With Bridgestone passing would still be there since KERS and DRS are unstoppable no matter what tyres they are running.

Pirelli effect is just too much its getting close to endurance racing.

Just look at difference between quali and race 4+ seconds they are not even close to limit just nursing tyres from lap 1.

Start with 150KG of fuel and end race doing lap times only 1-2 seconds faster then lap 1 pathetic really.

#85 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,237 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 16:14

The racing has been very strange this year. It seems almost by pure chance a driver will get the tyres in the very narrow operating window required for their particular car.

Button untouchable in Oz, Perez and Alonso in a different race in Malaysia, Rosberg in his tyre destoying Merc comfortably dominating China, and now Vettel and the two Renaults easily ahead of the rest in Bahrain...... very strange performance pattern throughout the field. At various other stages during the season all of these 'dominating' drivers have been floundering.

I don't think there is a problem with tyres that aren't durable, but this season either the quality of manufacture is badly lacking or the tyres are just generally crap and it's a lottery as to who will get them to work.

Why wouldnt they want a "tyre lottery". It makes for a better Show. :mad:

We had an epic season in 2010 with these hard Bridgestones, couple that with DRS and KERS and it'd be awesome. No need for the degradation, just pure speed.

Racing in 2010 was brilliant even or because of without KERS and DRS

Edited by Kucki, 22 April 2012 - 16:15.

#86 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 16:16

He said it's not fun to drive with tyres like this and Lauda said he understands him because it's not fun for any driver to drive slow just because of the tyres.

Rosberg also said that it's simply not possible to drive on the limit at any time, they have to nurse the tyres since the start of the race. He said F1 it's a complete different sport this days.

I post this because some people are still saying that drivers are still pushing 100% until the tyres don't start to wear off but well now it's confirmed by Schumacher and Rosberg that they don't drive on limit at any time of the race, sometimes they drive only at 60-70%

http://forums.autosp...w...=155428&hl=

And this is exactly what I tried to say long ago. It's true. The drivers are never ever on the limit anymore, because the tyres do not allow it.

Edited by Alx09, 22 April 2012 - 16:21.

#87 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 16:19

Will Buxton has tweeted:
Schumacher heavily critical of tyres in post race media scrums. Says racing to a delta time is not real racing. Wants words with Pirelli.

Haha, confirmation of the bullshit that is Pirelli 'racing'.

#88 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 16:24

Methink's Pirelli aren't going to be too thrilled that Rosberg and Schumacher have come out and told it how it is. I've thought for a long time that if most people watching better understood what's actually going on with these tyres and that they need to be nursed 100% of the race, that far more people would be up in arms about it. It's not what F1 should be about.

#89 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 16:27

Vettel, raikonen and grosjean seemed to race pretty good.

Yeah biut it changes are too extreme.

Imagine Ferrari vs Mclaren in 2000, Schumacher and Hakkinen-sometimes Mika will pop up fastest and Schumi can't get tyres to work, so no gladitorial challenge, 2 cars that are nose to teeth and drivers, imagine Hakkinen showing up to Suzuka 2000, and his tyres are off in the race, Schumacher wins without the challenge he had, etc etc

Right now it looks like we can't expect consistent challenges, but up and downs from everyone.

No Sunday warm up to change car for the conditions, very silly rules.

I'm sure we'll see great races, but not with the same drivers/teams consistently, where the championship purity and quality is tossing around points like a poker game.

I think the task is very hard for consistency with these tyres, and FIA not allowing teams to work on cars overnight and into sunday don't help things.

THE FIA PARC FERME RULES AND PIRELLI'S OVER SENSITiVE TYRES are the issues.

Edited by SeanValen, 22 April 2012 - 16:29.

#90 JV97

JV97

• 199 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 16:29

Why? Pirelli can make tires that last a race. Then all of you will start crying this is a procession, buah, buah!

Nobody is asking for tyres to last a race. We want tyres that degrade but you can still push up to the point where severe degredation really kicks in. That still gives the option of people who are easier on tyres to go longer or try a stop less with a harder compound.

Not hard to understand really is it?

#91 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 16:30

Hopefully more drivers will be vocal about the tyres if they all speak out it will be changed.

Was a bit lik watching WWF today*.

*fake.

Edited by jrg19, 22 April 2012 - 16:30.

#92 byronbolscher

byronbolscher

• 242 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 16:34

People are always complaining, they hated the conservative Bridgestone, they loved the crazy Pirelli's, now they hate it because it might not suit their favorite driver. Stop moaning, the situation is the same for everyone, it's not fake, if you're burning trough your tyres it's either the fault of the car or the driver, in one case the team should work on solving the problem, in the other case the driver should, pretty straight forward.

#93 Ramses1348

Ramses1348

• 573 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 16:36

Rosberg is totally right those tires are a joke, hell he even one a race on them! :o

#94 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 16:37

Macca startered slowing down their car (in terms of one lap pace) in order to try to be kinder on the tyres from the very start of the GP weekend... this is a shambles.

I'd love for someone like LH to lose his rag in public and have a go at Pirelli for these rubbish tyres

You do realise they've all been doing this since the start of 2011? Christian Horner said at Suzuka they tuned out a full 0.9 seconds worth of front wing last year in order to protect the rear tyres, and the car still had too much downforce for the tyres to cope with through the long fast corners and was the worse package at Suzuka than the McLaren and even the Ferrari, despite having more downforce - when has that ever happened before? I remember how on identical strategies at China last year, Alonso in his Ferrari set a slower fastest lap than Trulli in his Caterham (or Lotus as it was then). These tyres are just a leveller for everyone, it's why we see oddities like Ricciardo qualifying 6th and then being no where in the race - fast cars slowing themselves down to protect the tyres and slow cars being able to outqualify them and then revert to their normal level on Sunday.

#95 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 16:39

The teams have shot themselves in the foot. The fastest driver and car combination of the weekend use to take the spoils and I never complained in 30 years.Every single facet of an F1 car has improved and longevity is the norm. We no longer have indiviual qualifying and race engines. They both have to last several races. The same with gearboxes etc. This talk of Bridgestones being to good is a natural evolution. Nobody asks for engine manufacturuers to go back to using substandard materials, because not knowing whether or not an engine would make the end of the race was exciting. The same with gearboxes and hydraulic systems. Better and longer lasting products is a natural evolution and one that should have been embraced. Now we have a shambolic tyre management exercise for 90% of the race. The Bridgestones were the epitome of tyre technology, a product fit for purpose, with viable alternate strategies.

Raikkonen on the Pirelli's today, could only afford to have ONE genuine look/sniff/attempt at Vettel, before he suffered dirty air syndrome and his tyres had nothing more to give. On the Bridgestones people complained you only had a few laps to overtake the car in front before your tyres started to grain. On the Pirelli's you simply have to be the car behind(not even attempting to pass and your tyres begin to go) :rotfl: Who the f**k can call that exciting racing? The teams had a choice of mandatory pitstops, but as per usual they could not agree because some teams felt they would lose an advantage. I didn't even watch the race live today, because the excitement has gone. It is contrived. I am staggered how people can see nothing wrong with a wild card and that is exactly what we have with the Pirelli's.

Edited by The Ragged Edge, 22 April 2012 - 16:45.

#96 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,237 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 16:40

People are always complaining, they hated the conservative Bridgestone, they loved the crazy Pirelli's, now they hate it because it might not suit their favorite driver. Stop moaning, the situation is the same for everyone, it's not fake, if you're burning trough your tyres it's either the fault of the car or the driver, in one case the team should work on solving the problem, in the other case the driver should, pretty straight forward.

You honestly believe everybody who doesnt like it, doesnt like it because he assumes a disadvantage for his favorite drivers?

Is the concept of having to drive an F1 car slower then it could go, not a thing to dislike?

I like drivers pushing, I like seeing smoke in the braking area, a locked up tyre shouldnt be the end of your stint.

#97 karlth

karlth

• 16,231 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 16:42

F1 is so optimized now that the drivers would be taking care of their tires no matter who manufactured them.

If Pirelli produced concrete tires then they would be shredded too.

#98 Ramses1348

Ramses1348

• 573 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 16:43

You honestly believe everybody who doesnt like it, doesnt like it because he assumes a disadvantage for his favorite drivers?

Exactly! My favorite driver finished second today, yet I still think that those tires are a disgrace

#99 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 16:44

Let me say something that has nothing to do with tyres

Sunday warm up
a session designed for the teams to make changes and work their cars into the race day preparation. They make set up choices on Saturday, so qualifying isn't really qualifying, it's with the race in mind now, and if Sunday has different conditons, you can't do nothing, but guess a set up, this rule combined with the tyres pirelli have, make it very difficult to get your cars/drivers to operate consistently, it's very serious for the quality of the championship.

I enjoyed the race, but these rules are not needed, it's like Hakkinen's tyres not working at Suzuka 2000, it just takes a bit of time difference, and you don't have a contest. Were lucky teams in general seem close, but the conditions on Sunday mean it's just tripping someone up, so someone else can take his place, I prefer driver's/teams working on cars into Sunday, right up until the race, to ignore this issue, is to turn a blind eye.

Another example

Lets say
Vettel vs Kimi for the title last race 2012

Vettel looks strong all weekend, but Sunday conditions change very differently, suddenly he cannot challenge with these tyres, Kim runs away with it, fans don't get a title decider, Vettel couldn't work on his car on race day like they did for a majority of f1's history before 2003, it does effect the championship.

Kimi and Vettel should not be guessing set ups the night before, they should be allowed to have their car set up changed on race day, the whole world is watching a title decider. I think these pirelli tyres could easily spoil a championship race, and the parc feme rules would only help that out.

It's early in the season now, everyone is excited, I am pleased with DRS and KERS being available-it helps with the dirty aero, traction control is gone, pleased with that, but tyres are a issue, F1 has gotten somethings right lately, but it can't stop evaluating where to improve to get it back to basic competitive formula without comprimising everyone's work with ill thought PARM FERME rules.

I'ts not moaning, it's being concerned about a sport you've watched over decades.

Edited by SeanValen, 22 April 2012 - 16:53.

Advertisement

#100 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 16:44

Rosberg is totally right those tires are a joke, hell he even one a race on them! :o

Heck,Perez was a mistake away from winning one himself and Alonso won in a Truck,that's the hilarity of the situation.

Next race it could be anyone,sooooo thrilling and nailbiting never knowing who hits the Pirelli Jackpot race by race.