• 2,906 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:31

Amazing, here we go.

#1003 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:43

http://edition.cnn.c...elli/index.html

Just retire and put ourselves and yourself out of the misery.

The guy should be grateful that after embarrassingly poor two season is still in F1. Only two reasons he's still around: nationality and related to it marketing strength [clueless Mercedes big wigs who think it's still 2003]. And good pal Ross Brawn that can't shut up about Schumacher in every interview and is always bringing excuses for wasting the seat. It were the tyres in 2010, too. Surprisingly. Too thin they were or something.

Every time he steps into the car he should be thinking - on merit I shouldn't be here. Instead: oh I'm not enjoying myself :cry: Just leave.

Edited by iotar, 08 May 2012 - 06:49.

#1004 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:52

The guy should be grateful that after embarrassingly poor two season is still in F1. Only two reasons he's still around: nationality and related to it marketing strength [clueless Mercedes big wigs who think it's still 2003]. And good pal Ross Brawn that can't shut up about Schumacher in every interview and is always bringing excuses for wasting the seat. It were the tyres in 2010, too. Surprisingly. Too thin they were or something.

Every time he steps into the car he should be thinking - on merit I shouldn't be here. Instead: oh I'm not enjoying myself :cry: Just leave.

so a racing driver wants to race as fast as he can...and you are complaining why?

he's not said - at all - that his lack of success is due to the tyres

maybe if you stopped hating and actually read (or even listened - as he said it on BBC) ...you'd understand

Edited by Raelene, 08 May 2012 - 08:54.

#1005 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:54

:yawnface: :lol: :rotfl: Why so miserable? :cry: ...... :kiss:
At least he hasn't revised his view into a politically correct one.
There's no doubt that he has a lot to do with the team's definitely improving performance. His presence, as usual, tends to do that wherever he goes. It's just a matter of time really. Finally, he's still very much competitive.

Edited by ali_M, 08 May 2012 - 08:54.

#1006 Pamphlet

Pamphlet

• 414 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:57

Have you even watched 2011? Barring his unluckiness (which seemingly extended to 2012!) he matched and beat Rosberg that year.

#1007 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:19

At least he hasn't revised his view into a politically correct one.

:up: only driver with some balls (or perhaps, only driver with nothing to lose)

#1008 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:43

How is this anything other than trolling?

We see constant complaints on this forum that drivers are too PR led, but when a driver criticisizes an aspect of the sport he is 'crying' because of his results, even though Michael has actually been driving well this year, has made no mistakes, and did not link the tyres to his current points positition (which, if you could be bothered to actualy think before you type, you would know is down to a car failure, a wheel failure, and being hit from behind by Grosjean).

But why let facts stand in the way of your ranting?

#1009 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,453 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:55

I suspect Schumacher is only echoing what other drivers are saying. Brundle says there are at least two drivers who feel the same way.

If I know anything about young drivers is they never say what they really think because they have their career to think about, Schumacher is in the fortunate position where he's too old to play that bs game.

Schumacher is right btw. F1 is an utter boring illusionary shitfest

#1010 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 13:21

I suspect Schumacher is only echoing what other drivers are saying. Brundle says there are at least two drivers who feel the same way.

If I know anything about young drivers is they never say what they really think because they have their career to think about, Schumacher is in the fortunate position where he's too old to play that bs game.

:rotfl: That's a nice play on words there.

#1011 BiH

BiH

• 2,340 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 13:38

http://edition.cnn.c...elli/index.html

sounds about right.

I am sure Hamilton, Massa, Vettel, Perez would say the exact same thing if their PR would allow it, but obviously that would make sponsors team etc furious so they keep their mouth shut.

#1012 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 17:52

:lol:

:up:

#1013 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 21:35

Brilliant.

#1014 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:26

so you agree with what MSC has been saying then?

Of course Raelene. I don't oppose everything Michael says or does.

The fans should be treated to racing plain and simple. I'm philosophically against DRS as it has made the art of overtaking somewhat "soft". Of course being in second on the road being desirable on the last lap is nothing new but the ease with which drivers have been able to overtake in some situations makes a mockery of the best traditions of F1. Call me a traditionalist, I'm guilty, but it has made the racing exciting and unpredictable so I am in two minds about it. But on tyres, Pirelli has taken tyre degradation too far, way too far, IMHO.

The latest podcast on Motorsport (Roebuck and co) with Derek Warwick is revealing of many things, not all historical, much that is hysterical.

#1015 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,219 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:57

There's a simple resolution to this thread.

If you can watch this video and still want tires like the ones Pirelli are bringing, then there's something wrong with you. :)

It just isn't possible these days. You'd be out of tires after 2 laps. Yes I understand these cars have less downforce and it's not F1, but the point still stands.

Edited by Brandz07, 09 May 2012 - 12:59.

#1016 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 15:10

This is from a different thread but I just wanted to make reference to it:

I have been waiting for one of the "senior" drivers to have a go at Pirelli. When I read what was going on in testing, I though it would be LH to crack first and go public... But he has been on some kind of happy pills so far this season. MW was next in line in my mind as he is the most honest person on the grid IMO ... so I was pretty suprised the the normally very controlled MS was the first to have a go. But that's actually quite a appropriate given his status in sport that he should have the broadest shoulders. I expect other drivers to join him ... but you can never tell so much, about F1 is lies. I listened to the formerly excellent 5live podcast and with Croft and Davidson replaced by the venal Allen and the on the make Algusuari discuss the last race and the Pirelli tyres and it was literally vomit inducing. And there was no declaration of interest by either of them. In F1 as in so many other areas its lies lies lies everywhere you look. As you say the sad part is that for whatever reason most people are simply not capable of telling lies from truth anymore.... and worse yet when you give a logic based analysis people dont question the logic, they say stuff like "source" or they repeat the media lies back at you and point to their own "source" as if crap becomes gold just because the media says its so.

Did anyone hear what Alguersuari had to say on this whole matter? He said 'we need to be professional'. I was dumbstruck by those comments - he didn't give his view on whether or not the tyres can be pushed on, but just said that Schumacher needs to be more 'professional' with his comments i.e. don't rock the boat. I'm convinced there is some sort of an agreement that the tyre provider cannot be directly criticised in the media by those within the F1 paddock.

Why else is it so hush, hush with the drivers? Rosberg comes out and complains like Schumacher, then makes another statement in the aftermath basically spinning his own words and remarking what a 'challenge' Pirelli brings to 'the show'. Martin Brundle reveals he was told in confidence on the flight home from Bahrain from "a world champion and multiple GP winner" (almost certainly Button and Webber) that they share Schumacher's reservations, then Webber comes out after some reflection and makes a PR statement of how "it's great for the show".

It shouldn't be surprising that Schumacher has been the whistle-blower, he's got nothing to lose compared to the rest of F1's PR machines drivers.

Edited by PretentiousBread, 09 May 2012 - 15:18.

#1017 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,658 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 15:22

Alguersuari is Pirelli test driver... do I need to explain more?
Lucas di Grassi will also be testing the Stimorol tires:
http://joesaward.wor...li-test-driver/

#1018 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 15:25

If you can watch this video and still want tires like the ones Pirelli are bringing, then there's something wrong with you. :)

It just isn't possible these days. You'd be out of tires after 2 laps. Yes I understand these cars have less downforce and it's not F1, but the point still stands.

But it doesn't and that is/was the source of the whole call for less durable tyres after Canada 2010.
If racing like that was possible in F1 in 2006 or any period since, then we would never have had the need* for DRS and fast degrading tyres.

* in the eyes of the majority.

#1019 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 15:29

But it doesn't and that is/was the source of the whole call for less durable tyres after Canada 2010.
If racing like that was possible in F1 in 2006 or any period since, then we would never have had the need* for DRS and fast degrading tyres.

* in the eyes of the majority.

As you said in the Bridgestone Vs Pirelli thread though, since the banning of the DD's, closer racing does appear to be possible. I don't see the need for the raw eggs, unless you're of the view that more overtaking is always better, no matter the reason, full stop.

Advertisement

#1020 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,654 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 15:33

The number of overtakes going on in races tells me that drivers still have plenty of room to attack. Tires going off after making some overtaking attempts is nothing new and hasn't stopped drivers from driving through the field last year or this. You're acting like Pirelli is hurting the racing when its done quite the opposite. I really dont get your point at all.

#1021 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 15:48

The number of overtakes going on in races tells me that drivers still have plenty of room to attack. Tires going off after making some overtaking attempts is nothing new and hasn't stopped drivers from driving through the field last year or this. You're acting like Pirelli is hurting the racing when its done quite the opposite. I really dont get your point at all.

He's stating that a charge of that type by Hamilton is now physically impossible because of the tyres (in their current state). You couldn't do this anyway most likely in F1 because of the aero and the general higher standard of drivers, but at least it was a possibility on more raceable tyres - it's the principle that trying to do this is an exercise in futility that annoys so many of us.

#1022 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 16:11

As you said in the Bridgestone Vs Pirelli thread though, since the banning of the DD's, closer racing does appear to be possible. I don't see the need for the raw eggs, unless you're of the view that more overtaking is always better, no matter the reason, full stop.

Sure but I was responding to the general assertion that things were so much better in the recent past in F1.

#1023 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 16:29

He's stating that a charge of that type by Hamilton is now physically impossible because of the tyres (in their current state). You couldn't do this anyway most likely in F1 because of the aero and the general higher standard of drivers, but at least it was a possibility on more raceable tyres - it's the principle that trying to do this is an exercise in futility that annoys so many of us.

:up: Sums it up for me perfectly.

#1024 MP422

MP422

• 2,036 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 17:21

They are not genuine overtakes though. They are overtakes due to different tire phases etc.

#1025 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,453 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 17:24

I wouldn't say drivers 'drive through the field'. it's more like they wait for the field to fall back past them.

#1026 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,120 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 17:35

MW weighs in, http://www1.skysport...es-reward-skill

#1027 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 18:10

I have a problem with that article. It sums up that Martin Whitmarsh says that the Pirella 2012 tyres 'reward the skill and ability of the drivers'

He says no such thing.

Martin Whitmarsh talks about the tyres 'adding to the spectacle' and that fans would complain if the tyres are too durable.

He also says that 'managing' the tyres is very difficult for the teams and drivers. And that they fall away dramatically if that can't be achieved.

At no point has he said that the drivers are able to make up the difference through skill. He's just saying the tyres need to be 'managed'. To me that means get the tyres in the operating window and keep them there, even if that means driving well within your abilities for the whole stint.

Or is he implying that both Lewis and Jenson were shit in the last race? Because I don't think they were, and I don't think thats what he's saying at all.

Edited by spacekid, 09 May 2012 - 18:11.

#1028 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,852 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 18:15

MW weighs in, http://www1.skysport...es-reward-skill

His basic points can be summed up as:

The spectators wouldn't like it if they tyre were changed.

As a team it would be wrong to blame the tyres for poor performance.

Neither is a convincing argument in favour of Pirelli

Edited by Kvothe, 09 May 2012 - 18:15.

#1029 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 18:17

I have a problem with that article. It sums up that Martin Whitmarsh says that the Pirella 2012 tyres 'reward the skill and ability of the drivers'

He says no such thing.

Martin Whitmarsh talks about the tyres 'adding to the spectacle' and that fans would complain if the tyres are too durable.

He also says that 'managing' the tyres is very difficult for the teams and drivers. And that they fall away dramatically if that can't be achieved.

At no point has he said that the drivers are able to make up the difference through skill. He's just saying the tyres need to be 'managed'. To me that means get the tyres in the operating window and keep them there, even if that means driving well within your abilities for the whole stint.

Or is he implying that both Lewis and Jenson were shit in the last race? Because I don't think they were, and I don't think thats what he's saying at all.

I have noticed an increasing tendency for F1 headlines to not match the content of the article/editorial.

#1030 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 18:19

He says no such thing.

An arm of Newscorp misrepresenting a quote/story? :eek: I'm surprised at that. :rolleyes:

#1031 R Soul

R Soul

• 629 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 18:24

It sounds like Whitmarsh is one of many who have to perform all sorts of intellectual contortions to defend these tyres.

Yes, people will complain if the tyres are too durable. Now we're complaining that they're too fragile. How about something in between?

#1032 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,755 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 18:31

I have noticed an increasing tendency for F1 headlines to not match the content of the article/editorial.

It is not increasing anymore. :) Headlines are spinelessly manipulating. According to stats, more than 60% of casual readers draw conclusions and form an opinion from headlines, and don't even care to read, or only skim the article itself. It is not an F1 journalism specialty though. Sadly it is an art that has been taught for nearly a century now, and the web has enhanced its effectiveness to near 100% of the named 60%.

#1033 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,388 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 20:57

I dont see how people class this years f1 as real racing wich rewards skill.

Do you really enjoy watching a driver like Di Resta not bother set a lap time in qualy. Then toodle round in the race to 6th letting people past to save your tyres. Do you class that as skill and racing? What ever happened to fighting in the race?

Just watching the 2005 review on Sky. So good seeing drivers push to the limit. People like Montoya wouldent be able to cope with the f1 we have now.

#1034 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,951 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 21:16

Just watching the 2005 review on Sky. So good seeing drivers push to the limit.

Now t h a t was a year when tyres were a deciding factor!

#1035 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,800 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 21:22

People like Montoya wouldent be able to cope with the f1 we have now.

Montoya can't cope a heck of alot better in NASCAR either.....

#1036 Paco

Paco

• 1,217 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 21:23

I dont see how people class this years f1 as real racing wich rewards skill.

Do you really enjoy watching a driver like Di Resta not bother set a lap time in qualy. Then toodle round in the race to 6th letting people past to save your tyres. Do you class that as skill and racing? What ever happened to fighting in the race?

Just watching the 2005 review on Sky. So good seeing drivers push to the limit. People like Montoya wouldent be able to cope with the f1 we have now.

There are several drivers who would be right there at Schumi's side complaining publicly. Its horrific what happens when drivers hire publicist and are sooooo tightly managed by the team on what they say as not to upset sponsors or go against anything the FIA says.

Michael is one of the few if only guy on the grid who has enough balls to speak his mind freely as he isn't dissing his team or sponsor but a horrific tire as mandated by FIA. McLaren boys have the balls tied sooo tightly they cant say a significant word about them.. as are the RedBull drivers. Its a shame teams put muzzles on their drivers and team leaders for fear of fines, sponsorship worries etc.

Senna in no way shape or form would ever have put up quietly with this crap about tires.
If Jacques was still racing, he would have been even more vocal that Michael along with Montoya.
Along with .. Irvine, Trulli, Jackie Stewart, Mansell, Prost etc.

I am surprised though that Alonso has remained pretty mum on the issue.

I liken the experience to driving on Marshmellows. What a sweet ride that would be .. *sarcasim*. Sure its the same for everyone. Except, if you have a bad ill handling designed car.. you might not be as affected and stand to gain more in relation to a solid fast well built car who is marshmellow around. If by design your car is a marshmellow, you are pretty driving where you would be even with a strong tire.

Some drivers are happy with them simply because its fully a lottery and gives a driver who had no chance of competing a chance to mix it up with the front runners more. Even though they can`t push hard, if they happen to luckily hit the minisucle sweet spot .. they are more forward then they could have hoped for it the tires were strong enough for a driver to push lap over lap all out.

Yes there is more passing but its not cause drivers are taking more risks or pushing themselves, its cause the guy in front is driving on plastic hockey pucks and helpless to defend.

DRS was as far as F1 should have gone with a pass button idea .. at least it had a bit of merit. If you approach and catch a car, you should have a chance to pass without the cars turblent air causing the driver behind to not make a move. Makes it a bit easy to pass but at least.. there is a certain amount of the faster guy being infront justifying it a bit. If he cant pull at least a 1s after the pass.. then he stands to get passed so it evens out. If he does pull a second or more.. then at least he wasnt stuck behind and having a train of faster cars-drivers stuck behind the pilon.

These tires are simply like Bernie idea of a sprinkler system installation and randoming creating a wet track to mix up the race. Really.. not that far off with how the tires performance.

Edited by Paco, 09 May 2012 - 21:32.

#1037 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,388 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 21:25

Now t h a t was a year when tyres were a deciding factor!

True but at least drivers pushed during the race. They even pushed last year. Its just this years tyre managment that i have a big issue with. ( I am not just agreeing with Schumacher because i am a fan of his. If he was to win this weekend i would not change what i have said. I dont think Schumacher would either.

Edited by Massa_f1, 09 May 2012 - 21:28.

#1038 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,951 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 21:35

True but at least drivers pushed during the race. They even pushed last year. Its just this years tyre managment that i have a big issue with.

I think the differences between last year and this year are way, way overestimated.
And in 2005 quite a few people were severely punished for pushing in some races....

#1039 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 22:08

True but at least drivers pushed during the race. They even pushed last year. Its just this years tyre managment that i have a big issue with. ( I am not just agreeing with Schumacher because i am a fan of his. If he was to win this weekend i would not change what i have said. I dont think Schumacher would either.

I agree with you about how it's shocking that drivers can't even push any more, but the bolded bit is wrong. This is a fundamental issue with the nature of Pirelli's degradation, and it was the same issue last year.

Mark Hughes summed it up well in his review of 2011:

"The mechanism by which the circuit rubbers in and a chemical bonding unfolds at higher grip levels didn't really happen - almost all of the grip was 'mechanical' rather than chemical, derived by the tyres contact patch simply clawing the surface against the road. It used to be the case that as grip rose, the chemical bonding process would increase. That meant fast cars did not usually degrade their tyres faster than slow cars, but with the Pirellis the faster you went, the faster the tyre lost performance"

Advertisement

#1040 pUs

pUs

• 2,553 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:21

It sounds like Whitmarsh is one of many who have to perform all sorts of intellectual contortions to defend these tyres.

Yes, people will complain if the tyres are too durable. Now we're complaining that they're too fragile. How about something in between?

Exactly! Well put :up:

#1041 abc

abc

• 1,967 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:08

But they are still putting competitive laptimes in races and they still make mistakes in races, how about that delta boys?

If they left on track 0,5sec./lap (30sec.over race distance) by preserving tires, I would have gone for it and made 1 pitstop more.

I still think we have got genuine racing on limit set up differently, requiring different driving skills in foreground.

Why should be braking as late as possible and going on gas as soon as possible while not stressing tires too much considered as lower art of racing than squeezing last 2-3 tenths of the laptime by abusing tires in every corner?

Edited by abc, 10 May 2012 - 11:14.

#1042 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:55

But they are still putting competitive laptimes in races and they still make mistakes in races, how about that delta boys?
If they left on track 0,5sec./lap by preserving tires, I would have gone for it and made 1 pitstop more.
I still think we have got genuine racing on limit set up differently, requiring different driving skills in foreground.
Why should be braking as late as possible and going on gas as soon as possible while not stressing tires too much considered as lower art of racing than squeezing last 2-3 tenths of the laptime by abusing tires in every corner?

I thought that squeezing last 2-3 tenths of the laptime is what F1 is about?
Kimi fans. It is not him ,it is the car. Since when you like grandma driving? What you will propose latter , tyre psychiatrist? To help stressed tyres? What about stressed brake disks, brake pads? To worry about them too? For springs , for shock absorbers? Lets not stress them.

Edited by ivand911, 10 May 2012 - 10:06.

#1043 abc

abc

• 1,967 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:06

I thought that squeezing last 2-3 tenths of the laptime is what F1 is about?
Kimi fans. It is not him ,it is the car. Since when you like grandma driving?

It seems grandma driving is too much for grandpa, ie. going off track in Bahrain Q1.

#1044 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:09

It seems grandma driving is too much for grandpa, ie. going off track in Bahrain Q1.

I am not answering this. :down: Check my post again and answer if you want.

#1045 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:50

In qualifying. This is clearly an issue of how they race.

#1046 abc

abc

• 1,967 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:12

I am not answering this. :down: Check my post again and answer if you want.

What is there to answer? Adjusting driving style to tyres was always part of F1. You pretend to be interested in serious debate, but bring up grandma driving term as starting point, so what else to do than just to wish you and old man good luck in Q1 on this Saturday :cat:

Edited by abc, 10 May 2012 - 11:12.

#1047 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,563 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:15

Wasn't that Nico?

#1048 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:22

What is there to answer? Adjusting driving style to tyres was always part of F1. You pretend to be interested in serious debate, but bring up grandma driving term as starting point, so what else to do than just to wish you and old man good luck in Q1 on this Saturday :cat:

What the driving style have to do with 2012 Pirellis? Driving style will widen the tyre window? Will make tyres harder? You think that: "braking as late as possible and going on gas as soon as possible" will conserve tyres? I was thinking that this is part of aggressive driving? As I said it is the car that can make the difference , not the driver.

#1049 abc

abc

• 1,967 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:54

In qualifying. This is clearly an issue of how they race.

Voices that they are not racing are quite an exaggeration IMO. Anyway number of mistakes doesnt prove anything. Alonso didnt make any mistakes in 2006 and in 2005 when they maybe had to preserve tyres more than now, 5 drivers hit wall in Canada. Indicates that you still try to find time in places while on the whole you are nursing tyres.

#1050 abc

abc

• 1,967 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:56

Wasn't that Nico?

Both were marginally off