Photo

Rosberg "F1 is a complete different sport this days"

• Please log in to reply
1346 replies to this topic

#1251 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 1,667 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 16:03

There is no driving to a delta in 2012. If that were true we would not be seeing big gaps on race day between team mates, and Rosberg would not have been 0.5 faster than Schumacher at China. Under driving a car is what tyre management is about anyway, but the key is going fast while doing it. The ones complaining just lack the skill or get frustrated by it.

Teammates will always have differences duw to their strengths and weaknesses, the circuits they prefer, their ability (luck?) to set up the car properly for a given weekend, etc. If we look at the comments, not only of MS (who is one of the few that has nothing to loose), but also of Rosberg (before he backpedalled for some reason), Hamilton ("is this pace ok guys?"), Kimi, JB and ALonso, it seems clear that, at least, they are not able to push as much as we fans would like to in order to see on track fights. And that, just that, is already a shame.

What about all the other cars they fought? Kimi came from 11th - 2nd at Bahrain which means he fought a lot of cars on the way. The reason he couldnt fight Vettel was because he was too slow, same as Alonso.

They must have been either irrelevant or pretty boring passes (DRS on lesser cars or on other cars with worse tyres) because it seems the miriad of passes Kimi made, did not catch the eye of the camera directors? In any case, it's the fight between evenly matched cars we want to see (because that's when the possibility of a great fight lies), so if they were able to catch up to someone, there should be a fight coming. Instead, there is one attempt at either catching or passing and then that's it, the tyres won't allow more. And it's not like we are making this up, Kimi said so, Alonso said so, Hamilton said so. It's not the number of passes, it's their relevance and quality that matters...

Advertisement

#1252 Pits

Pits

• 415 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 16:06

Would love to see concrete evidence of these polls and some sort of valid quantitative measure of "most fans love this season"...

One public Poll on the James Allen site favored the Schumacher point of view easily.
The had more than 4000 votes on this poll, the biggest i've seen online untill now.
So to say that the fans enjoy this racing is not true at all. Some like it others do not.
The minority is pro pirelli 2012, that is my assesment.

But even if I am the only person in the world with this opnion, I wouldn't change it.
Because it's my opinion and not some others who feed it to me.

Edited by Pits, 16 May 2012 - 16:07.

#1253 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,010 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 16:30

In the 80s drivers had to conserve, fuel, tyres and the cars, yet nobody complained back then about the racing and to this day they say it was a great era.

In the 80s, if you over drove maybe your equipment would fail.
In 2012, a tire manufacturer has made sure that if you overdrive, it will fall off a cliff. Makes sense?

-----------------

Regarding the gaps to team mates, its just more than the rubber. If you want to talk about adaptability, yeah sure, thats a skill. But Pirelli bringing out the best in drivers? Nope.

#1254 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,285 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 17:17

One public Poll on the James Allen site favored the Schumacher point of view easily.
The had more than 4000 votes on this poll, the biggest i've seen online untill now.
So to say that the fans enjoy this racing is not true at all. Some like it others do not.

But even if I am the only person in the world with this opnion, I wouldn't change it.

I agree. I personally feel in the minority being anti Pirelli though. Everyone seems to love F1 now, but i don't care Sport should have a pecking order, and not messed round with to create entertainment.

#1255 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 17:23

Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz says tyres have turned F1 into a lottery for teams
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/99640

#1256 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 17:31

- Mark Hughes

He's late to the party,I've been saying that for the past 8months.Back then it was lol'd and rotfl'd, guess who's :lol: now

#1257 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,532 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 17:34

In the 80s, if you over drove maybe your equipment would fail.
In 2012, a tire manufacturer has made sure that if you overdrive, it will fall off a cliff. Makes sense?

-----------------

Regarding the gaps to team mates, its just more than the rubber. If you want to talk about adaptability, yeah sure, thats a skill. But Pirelli bringing out the best in drivers? Nope.

Also, in the 80s drivers were largely responsible for judging the feel of their cars and deciding how to push.

In 2012, the cars are covered in sensors and monitored by banks of computers, and the drivers are instructed what sort of pace they should maintain for an optimum race. Which isn't quite the same thing.

#1258 Pudu

Pudu

• 197 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 17:41

Deep breaths everyone. It's not like everyone is driving around nose to tail, weeping in fear that their tires will explode.

Someone with good car handling skills pulled off a two stopper last weekend, when everyone thought it couldn't be done. The guy who won pulled off the fastest lap of the race - up to that point - at exactly the right moment to secure strategic advantage.

Let's not blow it too out of proportion.

#1259 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 17:46

They are 7 seconds a lap quicker than 12 years ago, with much less power. Id say these tyres are doing fine. When did these guys ever push 100%? The only time I remember is Schumacher at Hungary 97. The rest they build a gap, and then maintain that gap, turn down everything. Its a bit harder now but nothing too dramatic imo.

Pos No Driver Constructor Laps Time/Retired Grid Points
1 1 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari 58 1:24:15.757 1 10

1 3 United Kingdom Jenson Button McLaren 58 1:34:09.565 2 25

How did you come up with that? :drunk: F1 races on average are 7 to 10 mins slower.

Advertisement

#1260 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 17:51

Yeah I checked Australia times so I see what you mean. I would be interested though to see the average of each race that was raced back then and currently, to see if it's 7 seconds over all those races, (eg Monza, Monaco etc) I think a bigger sample size is needed though before declaring that these cars are 7 seconds faster.

Back then they had to qualify with race fuel on. Fastest lap was faster in the race than in quali.
Bunk needs to get his facts straight

#1261 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 17:55

Pos No Driver Constructor Laps Time/Retired Grid Points
1 1 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari 58 1:24:15.757 1 10

1 3 United Kingdom Jenson Button McLaren 58 1:34:09.565 2 25

How did you come up with that? :drunk: F1 races on average are 7 to 10 mins slower.

Small matters of the safety car and starting with race fuel.

Nonetheless that cars are nothing like 7 seconds faster now than they were in 2000. It is closer to 1 or 2 seconds in qualifying albeit there were no parc ferme restrictions in 2000.

Edited by Dunder, 16 May 2012 - 17:58.

#1262 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 17:59

Small matters of the safety car and starting with race fuel.

Nonetheless that cars are nothing like 7 seconds faster now than they were in 2000. It is closer to 2 or 3 seconds in qualifying albeit there were no parc ferme restrictions in 2000.

And when the fuel loads drop? Fast lap in 12OZ was .29 whereas in 07 e.g was .25 a whole 4 seconds. Driving what it is,not Racing.

#1263 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 18:03

Back then they had to qualify with race fuel on. Fastest lap was faster in the race than in quali.
Bunk needs to get his facts straight

No they did not.
In 2000, we were still in the 12 laps in 60 minutes format.

#1264 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 18:30

Forget 12 years ago, 2011 races were several minutes slower on average than 2010 races, both with zero refuelling.

#1265 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 1,667 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 18:47

There you go. If someone asserts that "most fans like this", he/she better have good backup to prove it.

Now Mateschitz adds to the drivers/principals commenting on the tyres. If in public statements so many people relevant to F1 are having less than glowing reviews of the tyres, their private opinions must be much stronger against them...

#1266 MidKnight

MidKnight

• 65 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 18:53

Yeah what a shocker Red Bull would complain about tires :lol:

#1267 schubacca

schubacca

• 795 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 18:57

Yeah what a shocker Red Bull would complain about tires :lol:

It is a shocker.

SV is leading the WDC table....

Perhaps there really is something wrong with the tyres.....

#1268 itsademo

itsademo

• 395 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 18:59

It is a shocker.

perhaps its not the tyres that have got SV to that point but McLaren fecking up
never thought of that have you?

#1269 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 19:13

Forget 12 years ago, 2011 races were several minutes slower on average than 2010 races, both with zero refuelling.

2010 vs 2011 has been done to death.
The high durability vs fast degradation splits opinion and that's fine.

2012 is a different matter. The narrowing of the temperature range in which the tyre produces near peak grip in order to "spice up" the racing should not be a feature of a control tyre and I am surprised the questions being put to Pirreli/Hembery are not more focussed on that.

#1270 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,444 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 19:25

2010 vs 2011 has been done to death.
The high durability vs fast degradation splits opinion and that's fine.

2012 is a different matter. The narrowing of the temperature range in which the tyre produces near peak grip in order to "spice up" the racing should not be a feature of a control tyre and I am surprised the questions being put to Pirreli/Hembery are not more focussed on that.

:up:
It's a pity that this tyre debate is dominated by Schumachers remark about fast degradation which, as you remarked, is very old news (since last year).

The big debate should be about this year's narrow operating window, making setup similar to trying to shoot at a moving target.
I don't think this was intentional though. Hembrey has not responded to the temperature issue as I'm sure they're very surprised about that narrow window problem as well.

#1271 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 19:37

I can agree about the narrow temp window being a problem. But Im sure if the FIA would introduce unlimited testing again, it would take only a few test sessions with all teams to work something out.

Having said that, back in da days, Bridgestone had trouble catering for everyone, so they only focussed on Ferrari, much to the objections of other teams. The tyres working on the red car didnt work that good on the Mclaren for instance. Actualy much like today. The implications might be a bit bigger today.

Evenso I find it a welcome development, and for a team like WIlliams this last win could mean their future is secure, as it most likely has been very good for Sauber all that exposure. And they simply can get these tyres to work. Big shame for Force India and Torro Ross, the other midfield teams who seem to be a bit behind.

In the end, it will all fall back in place, when the big teams will simply outdevelop the smaller ones. For now, it brings a very interesting show.

The one thing they must do something about, is that Q3 no running.

Edited by TheBunk, 16 May 2012 - 19:39.

#1272 schubacca

schubacca

• 795 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 19:38

perhaps its not the tyres that have got SV to that point but McLaren fecking up
never thought of that have you?

My point is that you would not think that the WDC leader would be talking down the tyres.....

Red Bull have also screwed up also btw ;)

#1273 Pudu

Pudu

• 197 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 19:40

The one thing they must do something about, is that Q3 no running.

Agreed. They should take a set of new soft tires from anyone who doesn't do a Q3 lap in anger ... or something similar.

#1274 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,596 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 20:05

It's a pity that this tyre debate is dominated by Schumachers remark about fast degradation which, as you remarked, is very old news (since last year).

The big debate should be about this year's narrow operating window, making setup similar to trying to shoot at a moving target.
I don't think this was intentional though. Hembrey has not responded to the temperature issue as I'm sure they're very surprised about that narrow window problem as well.

I beg to differ on this. Although solving the operating temp problem would re-enact the the pecking order in favor of the big teams, the real problem would be masked: degradation in itself should not limit the racing within a major part of the life-span of a given compound. That is to say, if the two problems are not fully inter-connected, which I don't have a clue about.

#1275 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,444 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 20:30

I beg to differ on this. Although solving the operating temp problem would re-enact the the pecking order in favor of the big teams, the real problem would be masked: degradation in itself should not limit the racing within a major part of the life-span of a given compound. That is to say, if the two problems are not fully inter-connected, which I don't have a clue about.

The real problem in my opinion is the randomness this narrow window brings.
As a result, the winning team is not necessarily winning on merit but on whatever (unknown) condition that suits the tyre is prevailing.
I'd like to think of F1 as a meritocracy (as someone phrased it earlier in this thread). Now it seems to be about whoever lucks into the right window.

The fast degradation is debatable. You could argue that, although counter-intuitive to a racing driver, it is a driver skill to be able to nourish the tyres over a race distance in order to finish a race ahead of a competitor.

Edited by Timstr11, 16 May 2012 - 20:32.

#1276 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,596 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 20:45

The real problem in my opinion is the randomness this narrow window brings.
As a result, the winning team is not necessarily winning on merit but on whatever (unknown) condition that suits the tyre is prevailing.
I'd like to think of F1 as a meritocracy (as someone phrased it earlier in this thread). Now it seems to be about whoever lucks into the right window.

The fast degradation is debatable. You could argue that, although counter-intuitive to a racing driver, it is a driver skill to be able to nourish the tyres over a race distance in order to finish a race ahead of a competitor.

Well, for me the need for nourishing, if it is a forced attribute, is just as bad as the randomness of the operating window. However, the latter hurts the car(or the team, if you wish), the former, on the other hand, is something that could hurt the driver itself. In that context, I agree. I may be asking for too much, I admit. :)

edit: it is not ht degradation, it is the lateral force sensitivemess that I have a problem with, I think...

Edited by Szoelloe, 16 May 2012 - 20:48.

#1277 MidKnight

MidKnight

• 65 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 21:30

It is a shocker.

What is wrong is the Red Bull is not out in front dominating every race...what is wrong is Schumacher isn't very fast anymore...whinging is whinging...

#1278 schubacca

schubacca

• 795 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 21:59

What is wrong is the Red Bull is not out in front dominating every race...what is wrong is Schumacher isn't very fast anymore...whinging is whinging...

MS is still fast enough to be in F1 ;)

#1279 Pudu

Pudu

• 197 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 22:19

MS is still fast enough to be in F1 ;)

In some corners, too fast even. :p

Advertisement

#1280 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 23:16

Deep breaths everyone. It's not like everyone is driving around nose to tail, weeping in fear that their tires will explode.

Someone with good car handling skills pulled off a two stopper last weekend, when everyone thought it couldn't be done. The guy who won pulled off the fastest lap of the race - up to that point - at exactly the right moment to secure strategic advantage.

Let's not blow it too out of proportion.

Maldonado/Williams took pole and won in Barcelona when I'm pretty sure even Frank himself thought they couldn't pull it off. The point is that the unpredictability goes both ways. Peakiness and strange wear rates. Good for some .... bad for others... terrible for others. None able to really make things predictable. I wouldn't want to call Hamilton the new tyre whisperer because he did a two stopper. It was his tyre day as it was Maldonado's day to win. What next. It may be that the cars that ate the tyres the most last race manage a one stopper come next race and come away wondering WTF really happened!

#1281 Pudu

Pudu

• 197 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 00:27

Maldonado/Williams took pole and won in Barcelona when I'm pretty sure even Frank himself thought they couldn't pull it off. The point is that the unpredictability goes both ways. Peakiness and strange wear rates. Good for some .... bad for others... terrible for others. None able to really make things predictable. I wouldn't want to call Hamilton the new tyre whisperer because he did a two stopper. It was his tyre day as it was Maldonado's day to win. What next. It may be that the cars that ate the tyres the most last race manage a one stopper come next race and come away wondering WTF really happened!

I'm not sure what you mean to say. You're talking about a bunch of 'what if hypotheticals'. I was only pointing what different drivers have been able to achieve on this rubber, with respect both to pushing them hard and to making them last.

#1282 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:39

I'm not sure what you mean to say. You're talking about a bunch of 'what if hypotheticals'. I was only pointing what different drivers have been able to achieve on this rubber, with respect both to pushing them hard and to making them last.

It's a matter of whether or not they've achieved as they expected? This is the essence of the ENTIRE discussion.

I'd be silent as a lark and enjoying things unfold if the spirit in the paddock was that drivers have been able to achieve what they have with some understanding and expectations which they can build on from race to race. This hasn't been the case from where I'm sitting. In all my years of watching F1, the word lottery has never been coined in this way by team owners. Surely you must see that there's more than a small element of performance outside of the control of teams and drivers at work here.

Racing over a season isn't only about turning up race day and seeing how things pan out. You have a plan that either works or doesn't. Usually, you have some understanding of what happened either way and can build on this. This isn't what is happening. Hence this isn't real competition over a season. This isn't what F1 is about. This has never been what it's about. This has been induced by Pirelli rubb(er|ish). :stoned:

Edited by ali_M, 17 May 2012 - 01:47.

#1283 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,010 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:20

Yes Vettel is leading the WDC and here are the results FYI , qualifying pos in brackets. Nothing fantastic consistency wise or compared to previous years:

Aus: 2 (6)
Mal: 11 (6)
Chyna: 5 (11)
Bahrain: 1 (1)
Spain: 6 (7)

The only driver who seems to have enjoyed a great qualifying run is Lewis. 1,1,3,8,1 (but penalised). But that hasnt been of much help.

Edited by ViMaMo, 17 May 2012 - 02:24.

#1284 Pudu

Pudu

• 197 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:37

It's a matter of whether or not they've achieved as they expected? This is the essence of the ENTIRE discussion.

I'd be silent as a lark and enjoying things unfold if the spirit in the paddock was that drivers have been able to achieve what they have with some understanding and expectations which they can build on from race to race. This hasn't been the case from where I'm sitting. In all my years of watching F1, the word lottery has never been coined in this way by team owners. Surely you must see that there's more than a small element of performance outside of the control of teams and drivers at work here.

Racing over a season isn't only about turning up race day and seeing how things pan out. You have a plan that either works or doesn't. Usually, you have some understanding of what happened either way and can build on this. This isn't what is happening. Hence this isn't real competition over a season. This isn't what F1 is about. This has never been what it's about. This has been induced by Pirelli rubb(er|ish). :stoned:

Right well, I don't think McLaren and Williams told their drivers - "just go around in circles and see what happens". They had a strategy that worked. That's the point.

Yes I agree some drivers are having trouble getting the tires turned on, and they haven't been able to fathom why .. or why not - but this is not anything new in F1 - look at Webber last year, look at any race that Jenson doesn't do well at. It is taking a long time to suss the temp dependent tire characteristics out, but there's no in season testing and each track thus far throws up a different challenge. And I think the small temperature windows don't mesh well with changing track temps and would like to see that changed.

You are, however, pushing this random thing way too far in my opinion.

#1285 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:19

Right well, I don't think McLaren and Williams told their drivers - "just go around in circles and see what happens". They had a strategy that worked. That's the point.

Yes I agree some drivers are having trouble getting the tires turned on, and they haven't been able to fathom why .. or why not - but this is not anything new in F1 - look at Webber last year, look at any race that Jenson doesn't do well at. It is taking a long time to suss the temp dependent tire characteristics out, but there's no in season testing and each track thus far throws up a different challenge. And I think the small temperature windows don't mesh well with changing track temps and would like to see that changed.

You are, however, pushing this random thing way too far in my opinion.

You're ignoring the fact that it's not only me or other fans. There are drivers, one Williams engineer and now RB's team owner doing so. I've never seen opinions to this effect ignored to this extent. Are we this desperate for a change however it comes and whatever it does to the racing?

#1286 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 828 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:26

VET may be on top, but Didi isn't happy about "tire lottery".

#1287 abc

abc

• 1,948 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:17

Yes Vettel is leading the WDC and here are the results FYI , qualifying pos in brackets. Nothing fantastic consistency wise or compared to previous years:

Aus: 2 (6)
Mal: 11 (6)
Chyna: 5 (11)
Bahrain: 1 (1)
Spain: 6 (7)

The only driver who seems to have enjoyed a great qualifying run is Lewis. 1,1,3,8,1 (but penalised). But that hasnt been of much help.

Lewis has been 1,1,2,2,1 in Qs. Great consistency.

#1288 black magic

black magic

• 3,835 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:15

can there be any real doubt about this.

lets not take seriously the clap trap than horner and the likes have spouted. nico included, as if trying to out psyche his teammate.

watching vettel not even try in what is usually race winning determining qualifying should have convinced even the doubters.

#1289 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 00:09

A more direct comparisment would be Melbourne. In 2000 the pole time was 1.30.5. This year it was 1.24.9. last year it was 1.23 something.

The fastest race lap then was 1.31.4 while this year it was 1.29.1. Then off course, you had refueling so you could run 2 or 3 times on much lower tanks with newer tyres.

In general the racing has not gotten worse or better, the total race time then in 2000 was 1 hour 34 minutes, and this year it was one hour and 34 minutes.

So at least in time it doesnt make any difference, these Pirellis or then the Bridgestones. The overal race was run in exactly the same 100% anger as then. The difference was the refuelling and the rare overtaking. If we have to take Webbers words literarly, he wants to race at the same speed as in qualifying. Well then you have to reintroduce refuelling. But overal it doesnt make a lot of difference, only that some teams have difficulty understanding these tyres. And that, he roundly admits.

Kimi backs up this view:

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/99647

"I don't think the nature [of F1] is different because of that," Raikkonen told Finnish newspaper Turun Sanomat about the impact of Pirelli.

"It's because of the amount of the fuel on board. I don't think there would be that much problem with these tyres, if we would race with 50 or 60 kilos, when we start.

#1290 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:55

Then he's next in line for the "Gift" from uncle Bernie and uncle Paul. I guess the other guys haven't hear of Omerta.

#1291 Menace

Menace

• 12,166 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:39

Then he's next in line for the "Gift" from uncle Bernie and uncle Paul. I guess the other guys haven't hear of Omerta.

Do you even realise how pathetic that sounds? Are you actually being serious? :lol:

#1292 black magic

black magic

• 3,835 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:06

so if it isnt a lottery then who will likely pole monaco and be quickest.

its now race 6, the order should be becoming clear.

how bout those who reckon its ok give us their top 10 qual and finishers.

#1293 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,338 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:20

watching vettel not even try in what is usually race winning determining qualifying should have convinced even the doubters.

did try... too slow.

remember vettel was already 0.4s off the pace of Webber in Q2 on their first run, of course webber did not run when the track got quicker while vettel did. vettel was not performing in the qually himself imo, he did two sectors and was too slow in q3.

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 18 May 2012 - 06:21.

#1294 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:36

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/99650

And now Maldonado joins Kimi, in saying the tyres are fine, Williams has a car specifically built for them, and in combination overhauling their entire trackside operation ( :wave: Mclaren) produced a car that is bringing results.

#1295 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:10

And now Maldonado joins Kimi, in saying the tyres are fine, Williams has a car specifically built for them, and in combination overhauling their entire trackside operation ( :wave: Mclaren) produced a car that is bringing results.

Maldonado, race winner, already has the winning swag and slur. He made all the difference that day huh... Of course the tyres are OK!!

You F1 driver wonder Maldonado you... :p

#1296 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,087 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:23

If Perez had have won in Sepang, he probably would have done alot of talking as well.

And then since then, four races later.. who is Perez again? He is forgotten. There is every chance Maldonado could be forgotten after a few races as well.

#1297 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:30

It's struck me that there are only 5 cars on the grid which don't look like they're able to win; the 3 turtle teams at the back, Force India and Toro Rosso. All the rest are capable of it if they're fortuitous enough with the tyres. Some people think that's great, personally I think it's a load of nonsense in this 'everyone's a winner' Formula.

#1298 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:34

In three weeks time no one will remember Maldonado! Remember Perez,and Rosberg,the other one hit wonders.? I don't.

#1299 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:59

In three weeks time no one will remember Maldonado! Remember Perez,and Rosberg,the other one hit wonders.? I don't.

But Rosberg's win was a fluke while Williams' cars were fast on couple of circuits

Advertisement

#1300 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:03

But Rosberg's win was a fluke while Williams' cars were fast on couple of circuits

Arguably Williams win was just as much of a fluke, they haven't been too fast elsewhere before they won, certainly not race winning pace. Just like Mercedes.

The only team that has been consistently somewhere around the top-ish this season so far is McLaren, Lotus and Red Bull, to a certain extent, even they haven't been totally consistent.

Edited by King Six, 18 May 2012 - 11:04.