Photo

North London E.C.C.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 berkeleybill

berkeleybill

• 36 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 22:34

Does anyone have any Info' on this car club that was active In the late 1950's ? I'm particulary interested In ascertaining what the 'E' stood for In their title,presuming that the two 'C's stood for 'Car Club' ? Contact with any old members would be most helpfull !

Regards Bill.

Advertisement

#2 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,704 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 22:44

I guess in North London, it could be Edmonton or Enfield

#3 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 22:55

North London Enthusiasts' Car Club which I think later amalgamated with the London Motor Club to become the London Car Club.
I did an event or two of theirs but as I didn't win anything I can't easily say which and when.

#4 berkeleybill

berkeleybill

• 36 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 18:35

Thanks Alan, I guessed that was a possibility and you've confirmed It ! They organised a 'Driving Test' at Heston on the 13th April 1958,I'm particulary Interested In this as I'm sure It must have been the event where a colour photograph was taken of the only known Berkeley Coupe' In front of the 'Jackermann Hanger' ! This car was displayed at the 1957 Motor Show but never put into production ! As I've posted before, the car has recently been found and Is currently being restored,alas It has no V5C and the owner Is keen to claim Its original registration number !

#5 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 19:27

1958 is rather a long time ago by some standards and even by mine in that I was only doing very local events then (rallies and driving tests) and didn't ever go to NLECC Heston - however you could contact the London Car Club which might have archive photos that would help.

#6 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 20:00

Thinking out loud:
What was the local paper for Heston in 1958? They might have sent a photographer along and ....
..... pigs might fly.

Edited by D-Type, 24 April 2012 - 20:01.

#7 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 20:07

Thinking out loud:
What was the local paper for Heston in 1958? They might have sent a photographer along and ....
..... pigs might fly.

Almost as long a shot would be the Fairey Aviation Co. house magazine.

#8 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 20:10

Allan, don't forget the Romford Enthusists' CC and the Midland Motoring Enthusiasts' Club from the early 60s.
Roger Lund

#9 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 20:37

Allan, don't forget the Romford Enthusists' CC and the Midland Motoring Enthusiasts' Club from the early 60s.
Roger Lund

I haven't of course, but what should I not forget about 'em in this context?

#10 berkeleybill

berkeleybill

• 36 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 21:12

Yes Alan, I agree It Is a very long time ago,so long that most people from that era have now sadly passed on !

#11 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,572 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 21:23

What was the local paper for Heston in 1958?

The Middlesex Chronicle (weekly). I lived in Heston for 26 years (and was at school next door to the former Heston airfield for four) and can fairly safely say that paper never had any motorsport coverage whatsoever!
There was a Hounslow Gazette by the 70s, which had my photo on the front page when I first did the Welsh International, but that was much later.

I had never fully followed/understood the chain of LMC becoming LCC. Presumably LMC didn't survive long after the London Rally (by then the Gulf London International Rally) folded after 1968. Was it LCC running the (MN Championship) Norwester Rally by 1969?

There was a Ministry of Aviation office on the airfield site then and one of the senior guys was a neighbour but, as the previous post suggests, probably no one is now still alive from then.

I cannot emphasise enough how low key those events were, despite being what would now be classified as a sprint rather than an autotest or even autosolo. I only stumbled across it by chance when "investigating" the gravel pits via a gap in the school fence one weekend and I was THE motorsport enthusiast of the entire school.

Edited by RS2000, 24 April 2012 - 21:32.

#12 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 21:50

Well that's one avenue that turned into a blind alley.

#13 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,572 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 21:53

Dangerously off topic but Heston did have its claims to real motorsport fame.
Co-driver Lars Helmer having Bjorn Waldegard's Scania Vabis 911 filled after the cancellation of the 67 RAC Rally. Ace of Spades service station, Great West Road, Heston. The Master Robert Motel in the background, who's Pit and Paddock bar walls had the signatures of just about every F1 driver of the 60s.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Photo: Lars Helmer collection, courtesy of Thomas Lundeval.

#14 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 22:03

I found this on Wikipedia [usual health warning] which suggests that Italy might be the place to find a coupé:

The cars were successful in Motor Sport and Giovanni Lurani bought three which he took to Italy, fitted them with his own design of hardtop, and running them in the 750 cc GT class, one driven by Lorenzo Bandini finishing first in the 1958 Monza 12 hour race.

#15 berkeleybill

berkeleybill

• 36 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 22:31

Yes 'D Type' ,these cars were quite successfull In Italy with class wins at Monza Verona and Mille Miglia completely embarrassing the home bred opposition ! The BEC knows of one definite survivor plus another recent possibiliy ! These cars were privately purchased by 'Count Jonnie Lurani' and he subsequently fitted then with Italian custom made aluminium GT style hardtops,these however are not to be confused with the one off Berkeley made FHC from the 1957 Motor Show . Bill.

#16 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 23:03

I haven't of course, but what should I not forget about 'em in this context?

It was simply a device to highlight that there were various other "enthusiasts' clubs" around the place in period so it may have been a commonplace title. Whether there were other clubs for non-enthusiasts I know not
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 24 April 2012 - 23:04.

#17 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,342 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:16

London Car/Motor Club? I am I right in thinking there used to be (in the 60's?) an annual event vs the Army on some muddy part of Surrey in winter? It was a cross between autocross & hill trials. The Army would turn up with Landrovers, Stalwarts & 3 tonners & the LCC with Mini Mokes, BMC 1100s & other stuff. It was on BBC TV (Grandstand?) & I remember Graham Hill turning out usually. Raymond Baxter was his usual superb self, commentating. Made great (black & white) TV on a cold Saturday afternoon.

#18 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,590 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:07

This was Autopoint. There's a thread about it:

Grandstand, Army v Navy?

and it's also discussed in this thread:

Autumn; there used to be something to look forward to...

#19 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 18:50

According to MotorSport in 1952 the North London E.C.C met at the White Lion, High St. Edgware, Middlesex. I am not sure but I think that A.F. Rivers-Fletcher was a member..

Advertisement

#20 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 13:23

According to MotorSport in 1952 the North London E.C.C met at the White Lion, High St. Edgware, Middlesex. I am not sure but I think that A.F. Rivers-Fletcher was a member..

Rivers lived at Arkley for some time, so might well have been a North London Enthusiast. I went to some of his motor-club talks from 1957-on but can't remember which Club he favoured and the one book of his I have doesn't seem to say.

#21 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:35

In the 1962 Blue Book the North London Enthusiasts CC was listed. The Secretary was G. Brance, 89B Hendon Lane, Finchley, London N3 (Brance was also the Secretary back in 1956). The club are not listed in my 1974 Blue Book.

#22 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:52

In the 1962 Blue Book the North London Enthusiasts CC was listed. The Secretary was G. Brance, 89B Hendon Lane, Finchley, London N3 (Brance was also the Secretary back in 1956). The club are not listed in my 1974 Blue Book.

As I wrote in post 3, NLECC and LMC amalgamated to form London Car Club and I've just looked at LCC's Website which tells us:
The London Car Club was first established as the North West London Car Club. The club evolved to become the London Motor Club and in 1970, incorporating the North London Enthusiasts Club, it was re-named the London Car Club.