- - - - -

Front roll hoops for protection by FIA

• Please log in to reply
617 replies to this topic

#51 AdHoc

AdHoc

• 223 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 15:38

Rather obviously there would be an emergency release.

No kidding? :p

Okay. And what if the car is upside down?

And what if the emergency release on a wrecked car doesn't work? Thought of that?

Advertisement

#52 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 16:02

This "safety" thing is getting ridiculous. You know what's the safest thing? Don't run at all...

Try telling that to Dan Wheldon's wife and two young children. There is no such thing as too safe. Its easy to look back and say it now but a properly installed canopy on single seaters could well have saved both Dan Wheldon's life and Henry Surtees as well, not to mention prevented Massa's serious injury too.

The drivers head being out in the open is one of the biggest safety issues in single seater racing and its only natural that a solution is at least looked into.

Edited by olliek88, 25 April 2012 - 16:03.

#53 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,871 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 16:06

Ugh, canopies seem a better idea - at least they look quite good and shouldn't normally obstruct vision.

Good point about banning BF1.06 (or was it BF1.07?) horns.

But I guess it's just a test. It's good they are trying different things!

Edited by DrProzac, 25 April 2012 - 16:09.

#54 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 16:09

Posted Image

What about something like this?

You could still get the driver out if there was a big accident, and the heat inside would evacuate

Edited by SirRacer, 25 April 2012 - 16:10.

#55 Risil

Risil

• 13,187 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 16:19

Ugh, canopies seem a better idea - at least they look quite good and shouldn't normally obstruct vision.

Could the canopies be strong enough to allow cockpit sides to be lowered? That would allow vision to be actively improved.

#56 Otaku

Otaku

• 457 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 16:37

This does not account for the lives we sometimes have to mourne, it's no excuse.

If you want "danger" on its proper first sense, then please go back to the 50's with your time machine.

Today, we don't want our mates the drivers getting killed, sorry.

Try telling that to Dan Wheldon's wife and two young children. There is no such thing as too safe. Its easy to look back and say it now but a properly installed canopy on single seaters could well have saved both Dan Wheldon's life and Henry Surtees as well, not to mention prevented Massa's serious injury too.

The drivers head being out in the open is one of the biggest safety issues in single seater racing and its only natural that a solution is at least looked into.

Again, don't run at all. It's the safest thing. Also, don't get out of your house... a car may run over you.

And taking a shower? Don't even think about it... you may slip and break your head.

#57 sharo

sharo

• 1,767 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 16:39

People say: "The road to hell is covered with good intentions."

#58 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,220 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 16:44

No kidding? :p

Okay. And what if the car is upside down?

And what if the emergency release on a wrecked car doesn't work? Thought of that?

Safety Latch, Drag Boat Capsule, side view.
Operable from interior or exterior.>duh<
Posted Image

Edited by whitewaterMkII, 25 April 2012 - 16:47.

#59 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,936 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 16:58

Again, don't run at all. It's the safest thing. Also, don't get out of your house... a car may run over you.

And taking a shower? Don't even think about it... you may slip and break your head.

Typical.

Nothing is and can be made 100% safe, yet technicians have made and is making tremendous efforts, which is how safety and reliability of everything, from aeroplane to PC to kitchen gadget, got improved, and which is the only reason our daily life is quite safe, and keep improving while encountering new issues or at times repeating same errors.

If purely talk about probability, riding on bicycle in town is more dangerous than F1 of 80s or maybe 70s or 60s. But what's the point? What's wrong with looking into and doing what you can? Just implement whatever, as long as resources and technology allow is the basic idea of safety. Again that's how things progressed.

If canopy or whatever solution is proved possilble and effective and clears those accompanying issues, F1 will and should have it. If not, it wont. With or without canopy or whatever, F1 will continue.

Advertisement

#60 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,871 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 17:03

Could the canopies be strong enough to allow cockpit sides to be lowered? That would allow vision to be actively improved.

Well, if they are strong enough to withstand being hit by an 20 kg wheel as 200+ km/h speeds, than I think they are strong enough to allow such arrangement. Though other issues might prevent it. (e.g. the canopy is strong enough, the cockpit sidewall is strong enough, but the connection between them might not be)

Edited by DrProzac, 25 April 2012 - 17:04.

#61 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,220 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 17:20

Well, if they are strong enough to withstand being hit by an 20 kg wheel as 200+ km/h speeds, than I think they are strong enough to allow such arrangement. Though other issues might prevent it. (e.g. the canopy is strong enough, the cockpit sidewall is strong enough, but the connection between them might not be)

The other issue with strong canopies is they are heavy. In the very early days, before the canopies were required to be fully enclosed, we found that by cutting out just the top of the canopy and turning it into a windscreen, we saved about 25lbs.
A heavy duty canopy, thick enough to deter a flying wheel assembly, will be very heavy, and raise havoc with the low COG formula cars love.

#62 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 17,972 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 17:26

Any renders on how a clear canopy would look on an F1 car.

I suspect, there would be changes to car design.

1. The canopy would flow naturally with the nose.
2. Some of the high side protection on the basis could be removed.
3. The canopy would nicely finish just under the airbox, with the airbox now being more like airboxes seen on LMP cars.

#63 Mascalzone

Mascalzone

• 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 17:34

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Mascalzone, 25 April 2012 - 17:35.

#64 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 17,972 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 17:38

Thanks.

I wouldn't have a great deal of problem with either. Obviously there won't be any bodywork in front of the rear wheels. The Ferrari render would look much better if the canopy didn't go back as far on the car.

#65 Risil

Risil

• 13,187 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 17:38

3. The canopy would nicely finish just under the airbox, with the airbox now being more like airboxes seen on LMP cars.

With turbos coming in for 2014 will there be any need for airboxes at all?

#66 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,390 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 17:44

I suspect, there would be changes to car design.

1. The canopy would flow naturally with the nose.
2. Some of the high side protection on the basis could be removed.

No need to render.

You can buy one for £300 grand or so............. http://www.caparo-t1.com/

#67 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 17,972 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 17:48

With turbos coming in for 2014 will there be any need for airboxes at all?

Single turbo. I'd like to think that the intake maybe somewhere else as it doesn't need to be near as big, however I bet they'll force the teams to put it above the driver.

Indycar is running turbos this year and they are running with airboxes above the driver.

Has to be said though, I really hope they just stick a small inlet on a sidepod or something else. Always prefered the no airbox look of 1980s cars.

#68 Risil

Risil

• 13,187 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 17:56

Afaik Indycar has an airbox above the driver's head solely for sponsorship space purposes. Mind you it's not like F1 is immune from that sort of thinking.

#69 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 17,972 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 18:01

Afaik Indycar has an airbox above the driver's head solely for sponsorship space purposes. Mind you it's not like F1 is immune from that sort of thinking.

I believe there is a similar rule in F1.

#70 Rob

Rob

• 8,097 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 18:04

Just implement whatever, as long as resources and technology allow is the basic idea of safety. Again that's how things progressed.

Clearly the speeds are a big factor in the danger. Let's slow the cars down quite a bit. No faster than 30mph. While we're at it, let's enclose the wheels as well as the cockpit. Let's also fit large magnets to repel other cars and prevent contact.

Where do you draw the line?

#71 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,039 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 18:05

We've done the canopy thing to death already, at least twice.

That test is interesting, the way they tilt the wheel.. when they did the canopy test they fired the wheel upright, it bounced off, went really high and landed hundreds of metres away - easily reaching a spectator stand/area and high enough to scale fences.

That rollbar would do exactly the same thing. Improves driver safety and makes it lots worse for everyone else. What if a wheel it that rollbar, bounced in to the air and came down vertically on another driver ?

I don't want to see anyone killed or injured, but the simple fact is motor racing always has been and always will be dangerous. Deaths are (thankfully) relatively rare when you consider the number of races we have every weekend all over the world from clubman classes upwards.

Danger is part of the sport, if you can't accept that you shouldn't be competing/watching.

Not saying that we shouldn't try to improve safety, but there it is possible to go to excess.

#72 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,390 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 18:06

I believe there is a similar rule in F1.

That's for the magnitude of the "fin" to the aft of the airbox section.

#73 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,220 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 18:10

Let's also fit large magnets to repel other cars and prevent contact.

:rotfl:
Three abreast into the first corner?
And hilarity begins...
I agree with you though, which is why I think the current iteration of indycars look like crap, with those ugly rear fenders/bumpers.
Might as well go to LMPs and call them 'Grand Prix'

#74 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 18:21

This.

#75 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 6,899 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 18:31

Riiiight. Let's put some explosives into the cars in the name of safety.
We ran full canopies years ago, made of used F-16 canopies and had no issues with rescue by putting pins in the locksets that were pulled out if needed.
Posted Image
The round indentations on the side of the capsules hold T handles that the locks built into the capsule use as the latch.
Enclosing the driver in a capsule has saved at least a hundred lives in drag boats since introduced in the early 90's.
Forget the roll bar, use a canopy and be done with it. If an F-16 canopy can take a bird hit at 400+mph, I'm sure the plastics technology will do do fine if fitted to an F-1 car.

Safety Latch, Drag Boat Capsule, side view.
Operable from interior or exterior.>duh<
Posted Image

This thread has been done before, too many times. But this is the first time someone has actually shown something that looks doable on a Formula 1 car. Hats off to you Sir! :up:

#76 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,039 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 18:35

Racing is dangerous, always has been, always will be.

I don't think a canopy would of saved WHeldon - did you see the state of the car ? roll hoops were simply ripped off, what makes you think a bit of bodywork would of saved him ?

You have the attitude that there should be no danger/risk - well, there still is even with a canopy or front hoop.
If you don't want the danger then make all the cars radio controlled and have the driver drive the car from the pits, its the only way.

Massa had a serious injury and he came back. Ask yourself why - because he loves driving and racing and is fully prepared to accept that risk.
Wheldon and Surtees were both aware of risks too. They still did it, just like thousands of other drivers do every weekend.

Motorsport deaths are utterly tragic, but they are a fact of life.
I'd be willing to bet if you removed all danger many drivers wouldn't be interested - its part of their psyche to battle rivals and themselves.

#77 MrFondue

MrFondue

• 319 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 18:47

Riiiight. Let's put some explosives into the cars in the name of safety.

The SLS GT3 uses explosive hinges to get rid of the gullwing doors in case of an emergency.

#78 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 18:52

I don't think a canopy would of saved WHeldon - did you see the state of the car ? roll hoops were simply ripped off, what makes you think a bit of bodywork would of saved him ?

You have the attitude that there should be no danger/risk - well, there still is even with a canopy or front hoop.
If you don't want the danger then make all the cars radio controlled and have the driver drive the car from the pits, its the only way.

Massa had a serious injury and he came back. Ask yourself why - because he loves driving and racing and is fully prepared to accept that risk.
Wheldon and Surtees were both aware of risks too. They still did it, just like thousands of other drivers do every weekend.

I'd be willing to bet if you removed all danger many drivers wouldn't be interested - its part of their psyche to battle rivals and themselves.

On the opening point, i think (not 100% on this though) that DW was killed by his head striking one of the fence posts/perimeter wall, theres at least a chance that a canopy installed correctly and to a suitable strength could of helped save his life. Also its more than a "bit of bodywork" (See the jet fighter canopy - http://www.youtube.c...etailpage#t=72s )

On the bold point, incorrect, if you read my post properly you'd have seen i said that the drivers head being exposed is one of the biggest safety issues for modern single seaters (Henry Surtess, DW, Massa) and that its only natural its looked into.

The fact that Massa came back was fantastic but ask yourself this, what would of happened had that heave spring been a couple of inches to the side? Massa would of at least lost one of his eyes.

Why should motorsport deaths be a fact of life, is it really acceptable to die whilst doing your job? Ok, say you had a son, he becomes a racing driver and duly dies in a preventable accident, would you still view it as a "fact of life"?

What is your argument for not having a jet fighter style canopy in single seaters?

On the last bolded part, heres a quote from the Tonya Dana, Paul Dana's widow.

"A common misperception is that they're in it for that feeling of danger -- that was not the case with Paul, he was in it for the challenge. The challenge was in getting the most out of himself and out of the car. It was not about the danger, it was about the possibilities of what could be accomplished."

Edited by olliek88, 25 April 2012 - 18:58.

#79 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,936 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 19:18

fed up with comments like that tbh. no one has such attitube. or only "canopy? heck no! go radio control racing then" people talk about zero danger/risk.

Same as when we take flight, or even go out of our home.

Risk/Danger is not what racing is about.
Or in other words risk/danger is part of everything.

Advertisement

#80 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,936 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 19:23

Clearly the speeds are a big factor in the danger. Let's slow the cars down quite a bit. No faster than 30mph. While we're at it, let's enclose the wheels as well as the cockpit. Let's also fit large magnets to repel other cars and prevent contact.

I dont know why you extracted my post like that to quote and answer.
The ENTIRE post of the quoted post is the answer to this your comment.

#81 Fulcrum

Fulcrum

• 196 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 19:28

Posted Image

#82 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,039 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 21:18

Sorry Ollie - Yes Wheldon died because of a head injury but what makes you think a canopy or front hoop would of stayed in place when the rear hoop and everything else was ripped off the car ? I don't believe that for one moment it would.

There is a risk of a driver burning to death with a canopy. Is that better then guys ? is that safe enough for you ?
What about a canopy failing - or its mounting points and the canopying collapsing inwards on the driver?

The locking devices that whitewater mkII shows are fine, but how will a driver reach them whilst in the cockpit ? movement inside a cockpit is hugely limited, much moreso than in the boat pictured. Ok we'll make the cars bigger to increase space - oh look, an LMP1.

All I'm doing is continuing your line of thought - lets take the driver out of the car, being behind a canopy is too dangerous and we haven't even dealt with the issue of projectiles being deflected off the canopy yet.

I don't understand how you can want a canopy that has many downsides but then reject the idea of taking the driver out of the car altogether. Its illogical.
"Canopy cars are safe, driveless cars are excessive" It makes no sense.

There is absolutely no proof that canopies would be any safer than an open cockpit at the present time when you consider the containment of the driver, access, projectile deflection etc.

Racing is dangerous, it always has been and always will be, end of. Yes we can improve safety, no we don't need to go to extremes with debatable merits.

If we all adopted your processes to every day life we wouldn't be able to function.

#83 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 21:36

Because there are too many pieces in a car to be sure that none of them will be released while racing, like Barrichello's car's spring..

Front roll hoops will not help it hitting the massa's head, won't it? Do you dear to argue that probeblity will be lower?
Transparent shield will make the car go quicker. Should a car gain smaller engine?
Transparent shiel;d will not sustain huge car to car crash and if breaks the it can cut drivers.
Car is travelling on track excess of 300km/h the energy is hard to sustain by a think transparant shield.

#84 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,220 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 21:44

Sorry Ollie - Yes Wheldon died because of a head injury but what makes you think a canopy or front hoop would of stayed in place when the rear hoop and everything else was ripped off the car ? I don't believe that for one moment it would.

There is a risk of a driver burning to death with a canopy. Is that better then guys ? is that safe enough for you ?
What about a canopy failing - or its mounting points and the canopying collapsing inwards on the driver?

The locking devices that whitewater mkII shows are fine, but how will a driver reach them whilst in the cockpit ? movement inside a cockpit is hugely limited, much moreso than in the boat pictured. Ok we'll make the cars bigger to increase space - oh look, an LMP1.

All I'm doing is continuing your line of thought - lets take the driver out of the car, being behind a canopy is too dangerous and we haven't even dealt with the issue of projectiles being deflected off the canopy yet.

I don't understand how you can want a canopy that has many downsides but then reject the idea of taking the driver out of the car altogether. Its illogical.
"Canopy cars are safe, driveless cars are excessive" It makes no sense.

There is absolutely no proof that canopies would be any safer than an open cockpit at the present time when you consider the containment of the driver, access, projectile deflection etc.

Racing is dangerous, it always has been and always will be, end of. Yes we can improve safety, no we don't need to go to extremes with debatable merits.

If we all adopted your processes to every day life we wouldn't be able to function.

I can't disagree with your premise that safety can go waaaay too far, but I will say that in defence of my drag boat buds, that a capsule is about twice as tight as an F-1 cockpit and that the F-1 drivers don't seem to have issue with detaching their horse collar cockpit surround.
As for being trapped upside down, there a jillion sportscars and LMP cars that don't seem to have an issue with being in enclosed cockpits. Heck I was there when St. James flipped her GTP upside down at Riverside and was seriously in flames for what seemed like minutes, but she came out fine and walked away
Would the canopy save lives, maybe, i can think of three entires into cockpits that have had dire effects right off the top of my head that a canopy would have helped: Da Matta, Senna and Massa. As for Wheldon, Greg Moore and Jeff Krosnoff, I don't believe a canopy would helped a bit.

#85 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 21:57

with all due respect to dan wheldon and all racing drivers that unfortunately died lately when safety level is very high , they were racing knowing that whenever they get in the car and on to the track they are in a dangerous situation and any thing could happen out there with the speed they are doing and the cars around them , drivers knew that motor racing is dangerous so whenever they are on track their lives are in danger

#86 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 17,972 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 22:14

I can't disagree with your premise that safety can go waaaay too far, but I will say that in defence of my drag boat buds, that a capsule is about twice as tight as an F-1 cockpit and that the F-1 drivers don't seem to have issue with detaching their horse collar cockpit surround.
As for being trapped upside down, there a jillion sportscars and LMP cars that don't seem to have an issue with being in enclosed cockpits. Heck I was there when St. James flipped her GTP upside down at Riverside and was seriously in flames for what seemed like minutes, but she came out fine and walked away
Would the canopy save lives, maybe, i can think of three entires into cockpits that have had dire effects right off the top of my head that a canopy would have helped: Da Matta, Senna and Massa. As for Wheldon, Greg Moore and Jeff Krosnoff, I don't believe a canopy would helped a bit.

Would prob have saved Tom Pryce's life too.

The top of Greg Moore's car hit the barrier with such speed that the top of the car just disintegrated. Nothing on the drawing board would have helped him given the circumstances sadly.

#87 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,616 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 23:05

Posted Image

Now thats what F1 needs, a proper rollcage and a big block Chev, though I think it will need to be behind the driver!!
The pic of the T332 with cage does make some sense really. Minimal and with a lexan screen will probably stop errant springs, wheels etc. It may have saved Dan Wheldon but never Greg Moore.

#88 genespleen

genespleen

• 341 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 23:18

with all due respect to dan wheldon and all racing drivers that unfortunately died lately when safety level is very high , they were racing knowing that whenever they get in the car and on to the track they are in a dangerous situation and any thing could happen out there with the speed they are doing and the cars around them , drivers knew that motor racing is dangerous so whenever they are on track their lives are in danger

Pure silliness and worse, lazy thinking. That's an argument against the introduction of any safety mandates at all. (I say that because it's the exact same argument that has been used every time new safety initiatives are discussed.)

Geez Louise...

#89 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 1,306 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 00:42

Posted Image

#90 Aubwi

Aubwi

• 451 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 00:46

You know what would be really cool, is an automated shield that pops up for a split second when it detects debris approaching.

Could use sonar or lasers.

Oh, and it could also pop up when the car flips over to act as an extra tall rollover bar.

Edited by Aubwi, 26 April 2012 - 00:50.

#91 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,338 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:03

I'm amazed by people talking aesthetics when it comes to safety.

If closed canopy (and closed wheels is better) why wasn't it done years ago? Why allow thousands of Formula Vee, Formula Ford, Formula 3 etc etc cars to race all over the world? Surely by the 60s they could have worked out that closing the wheels and cabin would be safer, and done it then?

People already complain about the fenders on the new Indycars.

Motorcycle and especially sidecar circuit racing is still far more dangerous than open wheelers, they even race the things on closed public roads. :|

Certainly worth consideration however, but it will face fan resistance. A crash at 300 kph is still extremely dangerous regardless of whether it is a saloon, open wheeler or LMP though.

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 26 April 2012 - 01:06.

#92 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 1,950 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:31

You know what would be really cool, is an automated shield that pops up for a split second when it detects debris approaching.

If only the driver didn't need his legs...

#93 Aubwi

Aubwi

• 451 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:28

If only the driver didn't need his legs...

What makes you think the driver's legs would get in the way? It could pop up on a hinge, or you could put it in front of the drivers feet. If it needs actuators you could put them on either side of the driver. There's zillions of possible configurations.

#94 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:29

Its ugly, just a reverse of the roll hoops that used in the 80's, good idea in theory but while it looks like that I don't see it being used. The whole reason why they haven't used closed cockpit before was danger getting out after a big crash if there was a fire etc. Really though an accident like that is freakish and doesn't happen often at all, Surtees was very very unlucky.

#95 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:33

F1 car with a canopy

Posted Image

#96 HP

HP

• 14,158 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:49

Forget the roll bar, use a canopy and be done with it. If an F-16 canopy can take a bird hit at 400+mph, I'm sure the plastics technology will do do fine if fitted to an F-1 car.

It does help, but a bird is not the same as a spring or a tire.

Since the aero get's better with a canopy, one wonders what other problems will be the result that needs to be fixed. And that fix needs another fix. etc. In general they should reduce aerodynamic dependence on the cars, so as good canopies might be, there is hopefully a better solution to be found.

#97 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:58

It does help, but a bird is not the same as a spring or a tire.

Skip to 1:12 for the airplane canopy test. And yes, it seems to work.

#98 AdHoc

AdHoc

• 223 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e87HIlOIYFA

Wonder what the result would be if the wheel was landing like this:

Posted Image

Edited by AdHoc, 26 April 2012 - 05:56.

#99 HP

HP

• 14,158 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:57

Well I wasn't clear. They should try a burst tire, so that the rim hits. Or even something that is sharp and made of metal. Like a piece of suspension. Then they need drop things from different directions. For example if something hit from the side trying to shear of the canopy, what will happen? We saw very close accounts of an F1 car bouncing over another. Almost hitting the drivers head. It was so close, that the canopy would have been in the way, as it needs to be build higher. Would it have helped or make things worse, when ~600 kg plus hits it?

That test in the video doesn't convince me that it would help in a serious accident. Guess there is not enough data available from racetracks. That it helps with speed boats at the other hand is pretty obvious, but water that yields on impact is something different than let's say a solid engine block.

And in that video there is a good comment, that shows it's not as easy to install it and be done with it.

The 'canopy' from a much thicker F16 canopy designed to take bird strikes and the 'alleged' F1 Canopy (which is is NOT) is actually belonging to an American TF Dragster. One of the 'problems' with ANY type of complete 'Canopy' (and Big Daddy experience this first hand on one of his 'Swamp Rats' was that the clear perspex acts like a magnifying glass and 'cooks' the driver in a VERY short order. The fighter canopy has an environmental component to it to keep the pilot from frying under the lens.

Edited by HP, 26 April 2012 - 06:03.

Advertisement

#100 Funkyskunk2

Funkyskunk2

• 49 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:27

Wonder what the result would be if the wheel was landing like this:

Posted Image

Not possible. A tire will have to fly up faster than it comes down due to drag, so how can a tire fly up faster than 300kph?! Its not about the tire speed, its usually bouncing around at a relatively slow speed, its the car going 300kph and hitting one in midair that's the problem. The impact will be almost straight on like the test no matter what the tire's trajectory.

Edited by Funkyskunk2, 26 April 2012 - 06:28.