Photo

'Bon vivant' drivers in Indycar racing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kart15

Kart15

• 158 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 20:19

Everybody knows about "bon vivant drivers" in Formula 1, drivers who didn´t care about physical training, partied and got hard drinking, men who didn´t like tests and lived a life in "high style" with girls, parties, alcohol, cigarettes, luxury boats, airplanes and etc. James Hunt, Eddie Irvine, Elio De Angelis, Nelson Piquet, Clay Regazzoni, François Cevert, Patrick Depailler, Mike Hailwood, Keke Rosberg, Mika Salo and many others, they was good examples of the bon vivant racing driver.

And what´s about this kind of behavior in CART/Indycar racing? Al Unser Jr was an alcohol addict and smoked many cigarettes after the races. Danny Sullivan did jobs as a model, starred in the Miami Vice series and was seen so many times in black tie parties with beatiful girls in his arms. I would like to know about another CART/Indycar/USAC drivers that we can call "bon vivants", I think it is a very interesting thing..

Edited by Kart15, 26 April 2012 - 20:20.

Advertisement

#2 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 20:42

Everybody knows about "bon vivant drivers" in Formula 1, drivers who didn´t care about physical training, partied and got hard drinking, men who didn´t like tests and lived a life in "high style" with girls, parties, alcohol, cigarettes, luxury boats, airplanes and etc. James Hunt, Eddie Irvine, Elio De Angelis, Nelson Piquet, Clay Regazzoni, François Cevert, Patrick Depailler, Mike Hailwood, Keke Rosberg, Mika Salo and many others, they was good examples of the bon vivant racing driver.

And what´s about this kind of behavior in CART/Indycar racing? Al Unser Jr was an alcohol addict and smoked many cigarettes after the races. Danny Sullivan did jobs as a model, starred in the Miami Vice series and was seen so many times in black tie parties with beatiful girls in his arms. I would like to know about another CART/Indycar/USAC drivers that we can call "bon vivants", I think it is a very interesting thing..

Until one of them does your wife...

Edited by David M. Kane, 26 April 2012 - 20:42.

#3 Kart15

Kart15

• 158 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 20:57

it has happened to you?

#4 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 17:04

Tim Richmond, admittedly better known as a NASCAR driver, had a reputation as a bon vivant, and it killed him.

#5 gfastr

gfastr

• 37 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 19:35

Everybody knows about "bon vivant drivers" in Formula 1,....

There weren't many "bon vivants" in the USAC era. Guys like Parnelli, AJ, Roger McCluskey,Don Branson, etc, were too busy being itinerant race drivers, ChampCars, Sprints,Midgets, etc. to have time for such affectations. Besides, places like Terra Haute, Langhorne,Trenton, Indy Speeddrome, et al didn't exactly line up with the Social Register.

IMHO, of course.