Photo

Maltese nostalgia

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#51 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,264 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:32

Old French cars are extremely rare out here.

Surprising but interesting, are there many examples of old Italians, cars that is.

Had to go back to correct a couple of typos there, I'm still getting over the shock of seeing a Vauxhall Victor on TNF. A business colleague had one of those back in the early 70s, an absolutely loathsome device, it had a column change that was vague and imprecise even by column change standards, you could never be sure which gear you were going to end up in.

Advertisement

#52 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 20:32

Surprising but interesting, are there many examples of old Italians, cars that is.

Had to go back to correct a couple of typos there, I'm still getting over the shock of seeing a Vauxhall Victor on TNF. A business colleague had one of those back in the early 70s, an absolutely loathsome device, it had a column change that was vague and imprecise even by column change standards, you could never be sure which gear you were going to end up in.

A friend of mine who was, at the time, "going places" had a similarly-shaped Vauxhall but with the BIG engine, as his company car (was it called a Ventora 3.3?); with this device we were never sure which ditch we were going to be in!

#53 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,812 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:05

Posted Image

Looks like you had better weather than we had a Cholmondley!

#54 Johnbull

Johnbull

• 64 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:06

The historic meeting Barry posted pics from, was most enjoyable. I rode up on my 1928 Triumph NSD motorcycle.

The motorcycle pictured by Barry is most interesting. It is a Yamaha TZ350 from about 1970 - same as the one Jaarno Saarinen won the World Championship on, before his and Renzo Pasolini's untimely death at Monza.

In those days, you could buy a proper racing bike from most of the Japanese manufacturers, and the 2 stroke twin cyclinedr TZ350 was a very popular one with private entrants.

This bike was bought new by a friend in Malta, and has only had a couple of owners since. It is probably one of very few racing machines in existance that has never actually been raced.

#55 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:18

I love the way Joe adds so much to my pictures. Thanks Joe; by the way, I have some more from last Sunday by the Harmony Kiosk:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#56 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,738 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:50

Old French cars are extremely rare out here. Indeed, without actually counting, I'd say there aren't that many modern ones either, at least in comparison with Japanese ones.

Posted Image

If I am not mistaken the green car in the top left of the photo above is a Peugeot 106 ;)

Keep them coming Barry :up:

#57 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:30

Looks like a dark blue Fiesta to me.

#58 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,264 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:36

Looks like a dark blue Fiesta to me.

Similarly rare and covetable...

#59 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:37

Yeah, right!

Advertisement

#60 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,720 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 13:02

Two cars there, Barry, that I deeply covet:

The white Anglia 105E: my one and only stab at road racing was in a 1500CC Cortina-GT powered 105E, although that strange peacock blue/green hinterland with white roof (on which it finished up in due course); and the fabulous tipo 105 Alfa Romeo with the unfaultable Bert One body--I owned one for 15 years or so, and it's probably the only of of all the cars I've owned that I wish I still had.

Thank you Mr Boor (wipes nostalgic tear from eye with palsied hand and inhales another beer).

#61 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 16:02

You are more than welcome, Terry, as is anyone else who is enjoying this thread.

#62 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,949 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 16:27

At first glance it looked as if the BRG Mini Cooper was bearing a French tricolor - nearly choked on my tea and biscuits!

#63 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 16:30

No blue - just the Maltese red and white national flag.

#64 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:27

Completely O.T. but a mildly interesting sideline to motoring in Malta, tragically, there was a fatal accident last weekend to a local man who was riding his quad bike when he was hit by an (allegedly) drunken Brit. The report I read said that it was the first recorded fatality involving quad bikes on the island.

Then came the surprising (to me anyway) fact that there are over 800 of these things registered on Malta. I guess they are quite handy but nevertheless, I found that number staggeringly high. Back in January when the bikers of the island had a 'drive around' parade, there were over 300 bikes in the cavalcade, but only a handful were quads. Perhaps this is why the number that are actually around surprised me so much.

Sorry to moider.....

#65 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:36

Here's another local item;

"The average age of vehicles on Malta's roads at the end of last year was 13.86 years, almost twice that of the UK, according to a report by the National Audit Office on vehicle emission control schemes.

The number of vehicles that were less than two years old fell by 543 since 2008 and increased in the case of vehicles that were between 15 and 25 years old, before starting to drop in the case of vehicles over 25 years old."

This from the 'Times of Malta' website this morning.

Are we surprised? I think not.

#66 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,738 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 18:24

Here's another local item;

"The average age of vehicles on Malta's roads at the end of last year was 13.86 years, almost twice that of the UK, according to a report by the National Audit Office on vehicle emission control schemes.

By way of contrast when I used to work for Volvo back in the late 1980's I believe the average age of Volvo's scrapped in Sweden was 19+ years.

#67 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,264 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 18:35

By way of contrast when I used to work for Volvo back in the late 1980's I believe the average age of Volvo's scrapped in Sweden was 19+ years.

Ah yes, but what was the average age of their drivers?

#68 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,897 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 19:08

Volvo's what?

#69 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,949 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 19:10

Volvo's what?

Blood pressure alert!

#70 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,264 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 21:52

Volvo's what?

Greengrocer...

#71 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 22:46

Scrapping age need not be the same as the oldest cars being driven...

A car might well spend five years or even ten in a backyard before being scrapped, right?

Or longer at my place, of course.

#72 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,745 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 00:52

The average vehicle age of registered vehicles at my place is 35 years.

#73 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:28

Greengrocer...

Laughing out loud.

#74 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,085 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:43

The average vehicle age of registered vehicles at my place is 35 years.

That's what I like about WA: so up to date compared to here, where the average age of the registered vehicles at my place is 60 years :cat:

ETA sorry, NSW not WA. Misled by pseudonym.

Edited by Allan Lupton, 24 June 2012 - 09:20.

#75 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,147 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:51

Gee I feel modern. The oldest car at my place was built in 1968. Then 5 70s vintage. Then everything else is [sort of] modern 90s and noughtys!

#76 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 684 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:40

This was a great film!
http://en.wikipedia....Malta-Story.jpg

Edited by Patrick Fletcher, 24 June 2012 - 09:42.

#77 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,949 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:05

Talking of Maltese nostalgia (sort of) - are you planning to resume your slot car recreations of historic Grand Prix seasons Barry?

#78 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 13:05

Since I have been here I have been running races at the rate of about one every week. All my race reports are ready to upload to my website but due to circumstances beyond my control, I cannot upload to my site.

#79 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 14:10

Now that I have a phone with a camera I have no excuses for missing bits of nostalgia.

How's this:

Posted Image

And yes, those ARE clouds!

Edited by Barry Boor, 21 September 2012 - 14:14.

Advertisement

#80 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,738 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 17:47

Now that I have a phone with a camera I have no excuses for missing bits of nostalgia.

How's this:

Posted Image

:up:

And yes, those ARE clouds!

:down:

#81 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 748 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 17:53

Now that I have a phone with a camera I have no excuses for missing bits of nostalgia.And yes, those ARE clouds!

AEC Barry? Or, possibly, a Bedford?

#82 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,193 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 21:25

Posted Image

Cor, they've actually upgraded the buses since I was there 15 years ago !! More than you can say about Arriva in Hemel Hempstead....

#83 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,738 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 21:36

Or maybe even an Edsel ?

#84 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 748 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:04

Or maybe even an Edsel?

Same school of design, clearly!

#85 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:40

If I see it again I'll have a look at the front.

Chris, we have Arriva here too, using cast-off bendy buses from the U.K. and cheapo King Longs from China. (At least, they give the impression of being cheap.)

#86 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,193 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:07

If I see it again I'll have a look at the front.

Chris, we have Arriva here too, using cast-off bendy buses from the U.K.

Ah, sounds like Boris did a deal :D

#87 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:09

Well, maybe, but someone told me that our bendies came from Sheffield though I cannot confirm that.

#88 FredF1

FredF1

• 1,995 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:12

Bedford according to this.

#89 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,264 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:05

Well, maybe, but someone told me that our bendies came from Sheffield though I cannot confirm that.

In which case, Sheffield will have been pleased to see the back of them, they suffered badly from overheating, and were blamed for increases in pedestrian and cyclist injuries. How clever to find an eager customer with a really cold climate, and no walkers or cyclists anywhere on the island.

#90 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,738 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 14:07

In which case, Sheffield will have been pleased to see the back of them, they suffered badly from overheating, and were blamed for increases in pedestrian and cyclist injuries. How clever to find an eager customer with a really cold climate, and no walkers or cyclists anywhere on the island.

You forget to mention the six lane motorways in every direction ! :rolleyes:

#91 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,193 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 21:15

Oh bugger, does that mean there are still a load of them stockpiled somewhere in London waiting for Livingstone to get back into power ?

#92 Julian Roberts

Julian Roberts

• 731 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 13:24

This from Ebay may be of interest ?? :)

Ebay link

#93 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,738 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 13:58

This from Ebay may be of interest ?? :)

Ebay link

Assumes ridiculous urgency when the are only 25 mins left to make a bid :up:

#94 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:56

Eight months since I last posted anything here so I thought I'd share a nice little trio that I've just snapped along the road from me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All three absolutely immaculate.

#95 Dipster

Dipster

• 237 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 17:29

Bedford according to this.

Up until a year or so ago I used to visit Valetta regularly for my work. I loved the buses particularly as they were real bitzas! It may say Bedford on the front (chassis perhaps) but the engine could be a Leyland, AEC, DAF or whatever! And axles too were taken where they could be found when the years ravaged the original components! Malta? Very interesting if you like motors!

#96 FredF1

FredF1

• 1,995 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 21:31

While out for a drive earlier today, we spotted a Vauxhall Cresta, exactly the same model and colour scheme like this only the paintwork was rather more tired looking. The body panels seemed to be sound enough but the car made heavy weather of getting up a moderately steep hill.

#97 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,147 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 23:21

While out for a drive earlier today, we spotted a Vauxhall Cresta, exactly the same model and colour scheme like this only the paintwork was rather more tired looking. The body panels seemed to be sound enough but the car made heavy weather of getting up a moderately steep hill.

Now that article was written by a Muttering Rotter. Lets not let the facts get in the way!
American designed engine, No, maybe some design influence. Powerglide trans? All PBs had 3 speed Hydramatics and more lack of facts!
We did not get PCs in Oz and the few I have seen were ok cars for their period, as were most 6cyl Vauxhalls. And the 4s were generally rubbish!

#98 Dipster

Dipster

• 237 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:48

Now that article was written by a Muttering Rotter. Lets not let the facts get in the way!
American designed engine, No, maybe some design influence. Powerglide trans? All PBs had 3 speed Hydramatics and more lack of facts!
We did not get PCs in Oz and the few I have seen were ok cars for their period, as were most 6cyl Vauxhalls. And the 4s were generally rubbish!

As a "yoof", I used to drive a dark green Viscount version of the last Cresta as a taxi. It was a 6 cylinder 3.3 litre manual version. Low revving with loads of torque. I loved it. It went like stink but called for great concentration if you wanted to take curves (let alone bends) at speeed. It must have been a wonderful tow car. I wonder how may survive today.

#99 BRG

BRG

• 11,833 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 18:30

Eight months since I last posted anything here so I thought I'd share a nice little trio that I've just snapped along the road from me.

All three absolutely immaculate.

What's that parked behind the Capri? Looks like a FIAT 131 maybe?

Advertisement

#100 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,264 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 17:00

Since we've been discussing all kinds of older cars here, this seems to be an appropriate place to dump this little diversion. The link below is interesting, it lists the numbers of survivors of cars like Allegros, Cortinas and Marinas etc, among many others. I'd take some of the figures with a pinch of salt, as a couple of popular-at-the-time vehicles I looked up aren't listed at all, but it's illuminating all the same.

http://honestjohn.cr...7F290B8E8FDC6A0

What is especially gratifying is the number of some of the better vehicles that survive, the late ACBC would be cheered in his grave to learn that the Elan is the most survivable classic of all, with an almost unbelievable 38% of all those turned out, no fewer than 3361 cars, still being around today. In second place is the Triumph Stag on about 25% , presumable most with inherent head gasket problems now solved, but it's sad to see how rare examples of other notable cars are. I always had a longing for an Alfa Six, a neighbour had one that I coveted, and I think it was one of Bill Boddy's favourites, he ran one as his main transport for several years. Once you start digging through the link, it's sometimes surprising what you discover, who would have guessed that 291 Allegros are still on four wheels, but only three Chrysler/Talbot Horizons.

Incidentally, when I used the words "survivable classic" for the Elan, I didn't mean that in the context of driving into things. Improving the car's side-impact protection was one of the things I was responsible for in my time at Lotus. What we ended up with was something like a twisted wire coathanger tacked inadequately onto the inside of each door skin, we couldn't bond it in properly, as distortion showed on the outer surface, hopelessly inadequate, but apparently it was good enough in the opinion of whichever Government Agency looked at such things. If anyone side-swiped a tree with one of those cars, the tree wouldn't stop until it hit the central backbone chassis, and given the metal thickness of those, possibly not even then, but as the saying goes, "Dead men tell no tales".