Photo

History of my Jeffrey

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 homenetuk

homenetuk

• 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 15:53

Hi and hope you can help, as need to join the dots, on some history on a car I own, as currently I know very little, and would be good to if could find the driver who raced it.

The car is a Jeffrey J4, has been modified for sprint, or trials, as the rear had been removed, and the passenger seat removed to bring the battery and small tank inside the bay, some other notable features, in the engine has a rev limit of 8500, and a high pressure oil pump, no alternator, and dry sump, with a separate oil tank.

So the information I have for the date is as follows, Car was no.43 at a race meeting held 17th October 1982 – as this on a label left by the RAC scrutineer, I have very little to go on, but I assume it’s a formula 750 race or sprint meeting as the car is not “road ready” as are the clues in its kit car construction, Bodywork Nick Paravanni, Reliant engine by Graham Bolton, the timing beam strut, also the car was located in Norfolk (Snetterton?) . So any information you can offer would be really helpful.

Advertisement

#2 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 17:19

My Pal has a J4 (no. 18, I think). As I understand, the 4 and 5 were the road cars built on the back of the success of the F1300 J1,2 &3

J4 and 5 were designed to take Ford Xflow engines, though I think the plans were also offered for sale, so some may have been built with other engines.

Dick Harvey's book on 750 racing referred to George Jeffrey as a man having "more patter then Moses flip-flops"!!!!

A chap in Scotland hilclimbs a J5 and previously owned the one now owned by my pal.

The J4 was styled after the S4 Lotus seven, and dates from the same period, appprox '71 the later J5 looks more like a Lotus 6 with swept wings (it's actually far uglier than could be described!)

Hope this helps. There is more info in the back of one of the Lotus seven books - Tipler, i think.

Is yours the green car offered for sale a year or two back?

Edited by Mistron, 29 April 2012 - 17:23.

#3 homenetuk

homenetuk

• 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:04

My Pal has a J4 (no. 18, I think). As I understand, the 4 and 5 were the road cars built on the back of the success of the F1300 J1,2 &3

J4 and 5 were designed to take Ford Xflow engines, though I think the plans were also offered for sale, so some may have been built with other engines.

Dick Harvey's book on 750 racing referred to George Jeffrey as a man having "more patter then Moses flip-flops"!!!!

A chap in Scotland hilclimbs a J5 and previously owned the one now owned by my pal.

The J4 was styled after the S4 Lotus seven, and dates from the same period, appprox '71 the later J5 looks more like a Lotus 6 with swept wings (it's actually far uglier than could be described!)

Hope this helps. There is more info in the back of one of the Lotus seven books - Tipler, i think.

Is yours the green car offered for sale a year or two back?

Hi Mistron
Thanks for responding, and providing the info, as always welcome to add to my website about the Jeffrey Marque.
The green one is not mine, as yet mine has not been shown as yet,on the website and updates are well overdue...
My post is to trace the Race History, and the Driver at the time, so if any sages have old copies of motorsport circa 1982 and have results for 43, they would be most welcome..

#4 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:30

Nick Paravanni worked for Team Lotus and is a genius with aluminium. In the early eighties he set up on his own account in a workshop at Bunns Bank near Attleborough, Norfolk. As the business grew and he took on staff it became known as 'Racing Fabrications', apparently Nick; who is a really nice chap retired last year.

#5 Pete Stowe

Pete Stowe

• 481 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 16:09

So the information I have for the date is as follows, Car was no.43 at a race meeting held 17th October 1982 – as this on a label left by the RAC scrutineer, I have very little to go on, but I assume it’s a formula 750 race or sprint meeting as the car is not “road ready” as are the clues in its kit car construction, Bodywork Nick Paravanni, Reliant engine by Graham Bolton, the timing beam strut, also the car was located in Norfolk (Snetterton?) . So any information you can offer would be really helpful.

The 1982 RAC blue book listed one race meeting for 17th October, BRSCC Brands Hatch, and four sprints: Nottingham SCC Curborough; Blackpalfrey MC West Malling; London CC Goodwood; Herts County Auto & Aero C North Weald.
You might try contacting the organising clubs for results.

#6 homenetuk

homenetuk

• 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 00:03

The 1982 RAC blue book listed one race meeting for 17th October, BRSCC Brands Hatch, and four sprints: Nottingham SCC Curborough; Blackpalfrey MC West Malling; London CC Goodwood; Herts County Auto & Aero C North Weald.
You might try contacting the organising clubs for results.

Hi Pete Stowe
Thanks for the information,I really appreciate you doing this, and home it leads me to the driver of 43...

#7 homenetuk

homenetuk

• 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 00:09

Nick Paravanni worked for Team Lotus and is a genius with aluminium. In the early eighties he set up on his own account in a workshop at Bunns Bank near Attleborough, Norfolk. As the business grew and he took on staff it became known as 'Racing Fabrications', apparently Nick; who is a really nice chap retired last year.

Hi Leigh, thanks for the information on the bodywork, and hope I can get some pictures of what it looked like when it was originally completed..

#8 h4887

h4887

• 936 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 19:29

Competition Fabrications, I think. Racing Fabs is George Wadsworth.

#9 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 18:32

Geoff is right, it is Competition Fabrications. I stand corrected!