* * * - - 7 votes

2013 Silly Season

• Please log in to reply
2821 replies to this topic

#1 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,907 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 13:08

Since the 2012 Formula One grid is all but decided, I thought it would be just about time to start the 2013 Silly Season thread. By the looks of the end dates of several drivers' contracts, it promises to be an exciting game of musical chairs.

Advertisement

#2 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 14:48

Kimi to HRT.

You heard it here first.

#3 GAZF1nut

GAZF1nut

• 932 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 14:53

Lewis to Red Bull (I can only hope)
Webber to retire
Perez to Ferrari
Di Resta to Mercedes
Kubica to return (I don't expect him to return next year)

#4 Bmwsduc

Bmwsduc

• 39 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:08

Kimi to HRT.

You heard it here first.

Best thing I have ever seen, I laughed so much more than seeing the caption time thread.

#5 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:41

People seem always to be assuming that Mark will retire, just as most people were assuming he'd do at the end of this season.

Unless one of the young Red Bull guys really steps up in 2012, and as long as Mark's up for it, why wouldn't he re-sign for 2013?

#6 Outsider

Outsider

• 932 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:01

Kimi to HRT.

You heard it here first.

:clap:

#7 404KF2

404KF2

• 18,946 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:08

Me to Ferrari. You did say SILLY season, right?

#8 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:52

Williams: Rosberg, Raikkonen (return 2012)
Mercedes: Schumacher, DiResta
Red Bull: Vettel, Alguersauri (or Webber if he stays on)
STRF: Riccardo, Buemi
Sauber: Kobayashi, Maldonado
Renault: Petrov, Senna
Ferrari: Alonso, Kubica (return 2012)
Jaguar returns (Team Boss - Prost): Massa, Button
Virgin: DiAmbrosio, Glock
Lotus: Kovalainen, Hulkenberg
HRT: Sainz, Luizzi
McLaren: Hamilton, Perez
Audi-BMW: Barrichello, Sutil (because I'm outta cars)

#9 SparkPlug

SparkPlug

• 511 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:51

Williams: Rosberg, Raikkonen (return 2012)
Mercedes: Schumacher, DiResta
Red Bull: Vettel, Alguersauri (or Webber if he stays on)
STRF: Riccardo, Buemi
Sauber: Kobayashi, Maldonado
Renault: Petrov, Senna
Ferrari: Alonso, Kubica (return 2012)
Jaguar returns (Team Boss - Prost): Massa, Button
Virgin: DiAmbrosio, Glock
Lotus: Kovalainen, Hulkenberg
HRT: Sainz, Luizzi
McLaren: Hamilton, Perez
Audi-BMW: Barrichello, Sutil (because I'm outta cars)

Rosberg isnt going to Williams. Not a long shot. I am pretty sure all the top teams (Red Bull, Mclaren, Ferrari) have one eye on this kid. He's good enough to be fighting for wins.
Raikkonen isnt coming back.

I mean, the rest of your list is quite simply unrealistic.
You think HRT will survive while Force India wont ?

EDIT : Here's my list of predictions, absolutely random at best :p

Ferrari : Alonso, Button
Red Bull : Vettel, Massa (?) (I doubt Webber will continue after getting another bad beating at the hands of Vettel in 2012)
Mercedes : Rosberg, Di Riesta (Schumacher retires to take up a role in the Merc GP pitwall, as well as the third driver role to aid with development and testing)
Mclaren : Hamilton, Kobayashi (Ok this is more of a wish list of a team, but who wouldnt like to see two of F1's most aggressive in the same team ?!!)
Renault : Kubica, Senna
Force India : Adrian Sutil, Armaan Ibrahim / some other Indian driver [Heard a bit of this young 19 something Indian driver, apparently making a few waves in lower spec open wheel racing. Perfect fit for FI considering the Indian GP will result in skyrocketing popularity for F1 in India]
STR : Alguersari, New guy
Sauber : Perez, Jules Bianchi (shaping him for the future Ferrari drive)

The rest, I dont know, too unpredictable to even guess !

Edited by SparkPlug, 19 September 2011 - 07:09.

#10 Flamini

Flamini

• 1,065 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:49

Ferrari and Button eye deal for 2013

It would be great.

#11 kismet

kismet

• 7,376 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:05

I can't remember a silly season that didn't promise more than it delivered so I'm going with my standard prediction that most drivers at the sharper end of the grid will just stay put. Boringly.

#12 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:20

Button to Ferrari in 2013?, that would make Hamilton so happy and probably the tifosis will be happy too, Button is a classy guy and a great driver.

#13 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:37

I think for Ferrari that if they can't get Button, they'll go for Perez. They'll be very keen to promote from within their own acadamy and prove that they can have a Red Bull style system of nurturing drivers. If they promote Perez, then Bianchi will probably slot into Sauber in part for a deal with the engine/gearbox and possibly the rear package.

Red Bull probably depends on Webber, but I think Buemi will be gone from STR by then. I personally hope Alguersuari will stay, hopefully alongside Vergne (who strikes me as a greater talent than Ricciardo).

Renault/Williams is a case of pick four from about twelve candidates. Senna, Grosjean, Kubica, Petrov could end up there. Maldonado will stay at Williams if he has the money, but I suspect Rubens will have gone in favour of Valtteri Bottas, depending on Bottas' form in GP2 next season.

Mercedes/Force India depends on Schumacher. If he goes than di Resta joins Rosberg and Hulkenberg joins Sutil. Alternatively, Hulkenberg might already be at Force India next season if Sutil ends up at Williams in 2012.

At the back, anything goes. Kovalainen is hopefully still at Lotus, joined by maybe Valsecchi or Razia? Potentially Alex Rossi. Virgin will have Glock and someone else? HRT, well that's anyone's guess.

#14 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:58

Hamilton to Red Bull and Rosberg to Mclaren. :)

#15 GX390

GX390

• 756 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 18:06

I'd love to see Button to go to Ferrari, it would be very interesting to say the least

#16 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 21:43

According to smileys...

Williams: Rosberg, Raikkonen (return 2012) Posted Image
Mercedes: Schumacher, DiResta Posted ImagePosted Image
Red Bull: Vettel, Alguersauri (or Webber if he stays on) Posted Image
STRF: Riccardo, Buemi Posted Image
Sauber: Kobayashi, Maldonado Posted ImagePosted Image
Renault: Petrov, Senna Posted Image + Posted Image
Ferrari: Alonso, Kubica (return 2012) Posted Image + Posted Image
Jaguar returns (Team Boss - Prost): Massa, Button Posted Image
Virgin: DiAmbrosio, GlockPosted Image
Lotus: Kovalainen, Hulkenberg :cool:
HRT: Sainz, Luizzi Posted Image
McLaren: Hamilton, Perez :rotfl: Posted Image
Audi-BMW: Barrichello, Sutil (because I'm outta cars) Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,567 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 21:51

I usually don't like smileys but when I do they are awesome!

#18 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:20

Rosberg isnt going to Williams. Not a long shot. I am pretty sure all the top teams (Red Bull, Mclaren, Ferrari) have one eye on this kid. He's good enough to be fighting for wins.
Raikkonen isnt coming back.

You forgot to add that Williams won't have a top car. I'm counting on that in order for Raikkonen and Rosberg to be seated there for 2013. 2012 will be the 'coming back' year for them with Raikkonen and Maldonado at the helm.

I mean, the rest of your list is quite simply unrealistic.
You think HRT will survive while Force India wont ?

Ah yeah, FI, forgot them altogether in my haste. I was on a break at work and feeling groovy, lol. Just substitute FI for Audi/Beamer sheesh! LOL.

EDIT : Here's my list of predictions, absolutely random at best :p

Ferrari : Alonso, Button

I don't think Button would be into the Ferrari deal. He has it too good at Macca for that. But I could see him building up a team like Williams or a new team if they were promising, had experience and a worthy product (Audi/Beamer) :D

Red Bull : Vettel, Massa (?) (I doubt Webber will continue after getting another bad beating at the hands of Vettel in 2012)

No way Massa. They are going to fish from within or get a hot shoot. Why replace Webber with another Webber? Massa can be a hothead too. Frankly, I wouldn't bet against Webber staying on.

Mercedes : Rosberg, Di Riesta (Schumacher retires to take up a role in the Merc GP pitwall, as well as the third driver role to aid with development and testing)
Mclaren : Hamilton, Kobayashi (Ok this is more of a wish list of a team, but who wouldnt like to see two of F1's most aggressive in the same team ?!!)
Renault : Kubica, Senna

All of those are possible, but I am pretty sure Michael won't be retiring any time soon. He is determined to make the call this round and Brawn will let him, imo. So otherwise this would work. I am not for seeing Hamilton/Kobayashi really - that is just asking for flying parts and pieces.

Force India : Adrian Sutil, Armaan Ibrahim / some other Indian driver [Heard a bit of this young 19 something Indian driver, apparently making a few waves in lower spec open wheel racing. Perfect fit for FI considering the Indian GP will result in skyrocketing popularity for F1 in India]
STR : Alguersari, New guy
Sauber : Perez, Jules Bianchi (shaping him for the future Ferrari drive)

These could work. But I don't think the "Indian" team should have all "Indian" drivers - that is very like what Mercedes and Macca have done and frankly, it is a bit much in this day and age when "Go Global, Go Great" is the motto!

Edited by bourbon, 20 September 2011 - 03:28.

#19 katmen

katmen

• 822 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 22:47

only bump

but one question who has contract for 2013?

Advertisement

#20 sumpthy

sumpthy

• 290 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 00:17

only bump

but one question who has contract for 2013?

Alonso at Ferrari, Vettel at Red Bull, Button at McLaren, Rosberg at Mercedes, Raikkonen at Lotus, Glock at Marussia and De la Rosa at HRT.

#21 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 00:25

2013 is too far away for me to really worry.
Webber to Ferrari would become a nightmare to his fans. Think of 2011 but many times worse thanks to Alonso.

#22 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 00:45

We're due for a mix up at the top teams. I can see Massa on his way out, but only if there's an obvious bright prospect who's shining this year. Hamilton is the key player for this silly season. If he moves on from McLaren then I can see Raikkonen moving back to McLaren.

#23 FloorTheThrottle

FloorTheThrottle

• 27 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:16

no way i am gonna take this seriously untill September 2012 .

#24 rmac923

rmac923

• 486 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:55

no way i am gonna take this seriously untill September 2012 .

That's why these threads are so fun this early. So we can see how wrong we are a year later! :lol:

The keys to 2013 IMO are the following:

1. The probable sacking of Felipe Massa
2. If Robert Kubica will ever be healthy enough to return
3. If McLaren finally burns Hamilton for all the negativity towards the team
4. If one of the Toro Rosso drivers has a breakout rookie year (Vettel 2008)

#25 piercey

piercey

• 168 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:55

Man I hope McLaren can retain both drivers again. Hate to see either leave, especially to Italy. :(

#26 mgs315

mgs315

• 613 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:15

Ferrari and Button eye deal for 2013

It would be great.

My missus would love that as a fan of both! Alas she'd no longer tolerate my love of McLaren :(.

#27 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:01

Alonso at Ferrari, Vettel at Red Bull, Button at McLaren, Rosberg at Mercedes, Raikkonen at Lotus, Glock at Marussia and De la Rosa at HRT.

Vergne has a RB contract until 2014.

#28 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:22

Rubens to replace Massa in 2013! You did say silly, right?

#29 Trust

Trust

• 5,153 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:26

The biggest thing in silly season will be how both Kimi and Hamilton perform this season. Anything could happen, also don't forget Webbo. :wave:

#30 Raifosa

Raifosa

• 495 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:27

McLaren: Hamilton, Raikkonen
RBR: Vettel, Schumacher
Ferrari: Alonso, Button
Mercedes: Rosberg, Kubica
Lotus: Kobayashi, Hulkenberg
Williams: Kovalainen, Glock
Sauber: Perez, Massa
Caterham: Sutil, Alguersuari
FI: Buemi, Petrov
STR: RT1, RT2*
Virgin: RPD1, RPD2*
HRT: RPD1, RPD2*

*RT: Random toddler
*RPD: Random pay driver

:drunk:

#31 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:28

Man I hope McLaren can retain both drivers again. Hate to see either leave, especially to Italy. :(

I am confused by McLaren's situation. Its purportedly such "prestige" team, yet both drivers are trying to run away? What gives?

#32 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:34

I am confused by McLaren's situation. Its purportedly such "prestige" team, yet both drivers are trying to run away? What gives?

They all want a Newey car  ;)

#33 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:40

Button's running away so fast he signed a long term contract! And I only see Hamilton moving if he can get a Red Bull seat, and they are not going to stay on top forever.

Biggest questions are going to be who is going to be partnering Alonso at Ferrari, if Kubica is going to come back, and whether Raikkonen is going to stick around.

I also forgot to add about whether or not Webber and Schumacher will be staying in F1. Their seats are going to be rather lucrative to anyone looking up.

Edited by Fastcake, 28 January 2012 - 11:55.

#34 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,919 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:46

I suspect there may be some mileage in the idea of Webber leaving RBR at the end of the year (or simply not having his contract renewed, and either Ricciardo or Vergne taking his place) and going off to Ferrari to replace Massa for a year whilst Ferrari continue to assess some of the younger drivers.

I doubt Kubica will ever be back.

Hamilton will have little choice but to agree terms with McLaren (I can't see him going to RBR so long Vettel is there, to be honest - mainly because, for all his apparent cheeriness I think there's a much, much steelier character within Vettel who will do his best to prevent any such outcome). Unless Mercedes becomes an attractive proposition (e.g. if Schumacher decides he's had enough).

I should think the Raikkonen/Grosjean partnership will be set fairly solid for the next couple of years. As for the rest of the grid, who knows?

#35 H0R

H0R

• 4,068 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:56

I am still not sure if Hamilton at McLaren is Lewis' choice at all. One would probably have to wait a couple of raced into the 2012 season to see if he gets his act together. If not I fully expect McLaren to drop him for good.

#36 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:05

The most obvious "big" move for me would be kimi replacing webber in 2013. We have seen them make the rookies wait it out. Much as I'd love to see ricciardo in that seat I reckon he would be destroyed if he went in that early. And the prospect of a kimi v vettel 2013 is interesting...

#37 Tufty

Tufty

• 10,393 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:16

OK, this is me trying to be a bit realistic...

Red Bull: Vettel/Ricciardo
McLaren: Hamilton/Button
Ferrari: Alonso/Perez
Mercedes: Schumacher/Rosberg
Lotus: Raikkonen/Grosjean
Force India: Di Resta/Hulkenberg
Sauber: Kobayashi/Bianchi
Toro Rosso: Vergne/New hotshot
Williams: Maldonado/Bottas
Caterham: Kovalainen/Alguersuari OR Senna
Marussia: Glock/Wickens?
HRT: Folded.

Not particularly interesting, I know, but there it is.

#38 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 13:06

The trageted (desirable) teams might change in 2012 from 2011. McLaren was pretty much at RBR level later in 2011, thus their start this year should be better than last year, and they might end up well in November. Car might be good, but something off-track is not, and I can't put finger on it.

Meanwhile Ferrari is making noises how they improved their position under new management and re-focused approach. We simply now have to wait for separation of expectations and track realities, and who knows, Mercedes could be nice surprise as well. I do not expect midfilders to stick their heads up, even as I am not writing them off.

Eric B. is no dummy, and despite that he had too many distractions last year, his team has ideas, and that's what is also required for getting ahead. With Kimi on board, they have to be taken seriously. Could be The Fifth team at the top?

Fight for top musical chairs remains, as in last year, just among four teams (perhaps five) only. Schumi might sign up for one more year (at least I hope so), whilst Massa and Webber probably will step aside - we are all repeating that, but, who knows? There are no guarantees.

Kubica, difficult as it is from human perspective, I do not see him back this, doubtfully next year, because of statements by medical staff in media, that his physical condition is nowhere near normal yet, nevermind at F1 level. Even if he tries to come back, teams will be on guard, whilst young bucks are pushing from behind to get in. Not an easy life.

Vettel | ?
Alonso | ?
Schumacher | ?
Kimi | ?
McLaren ? | ?

#39 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 13:11

The most obvious "big" move for me would be kimi replacing webber in 2013. We have seen them make the rookies wait it out. Much as I'd love to see ricciardo in that seat I reckon he would be destroyed if he went in that early. And the prospect of a kimi v vettel 2013 is interesting...

Vettel would seriously love to have Kimi in the other car at Red Bull, possibly even support him in a 2nd wdc campaign. That would be my Dream Team.

Advertisement

#40 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,327 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 13:19

Bottas to run Williams in 2013 is the most likely change I can think at the moment. He is clearly being prepared for that, having very good reputation at Williams and he is going to do plenty of driving in 2012, and he probably won't do anything (WSbR or GP2) apart from being test driver at Williams, so it's clear that he expect to race in F1 in 2013.

#41 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,725 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 13:36

Rumour has it Suzuki gonna buy into Sauber to combine the with the launch of there new open wheeled bike powered car similar to the Atom

#42 katmen

katmen

• 822 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 13:40

big :up:

but in era of contract breaking who knows...

I fear that HRT will be history in 2013....

#43 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 18:49

Vettel would seriously love to have Kimi in the other car at Red Bull, possibly even support him in a 2nd wdc campaign. That would be my Dream Team.

No competitive driver would willingly support their teammate unless they were out of the running, let alone a 2XWDC.

They only thing I think I could say with any certainty right now is that Massa will probably be out of Ferrari. And I wouldn't bet on Alonso, Button, Vettel or Rosberg going anywhere unless they have options in their contracts which allow them to do so. Breaking contracts is a lot harder when your team doesn't want to let you go (ask Button), and I don't see why the first three would want to leave anyway.

I doubt Marko would want Hamilton or Raikkonen at Red Bull either. But stranger things have happened I suppose.

#44 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 19:06

Can't see anyone but Ricciardo/Vergne replacing Webber at RBR, whenever that is. If he doesn't have a better season then I bet it'll be 2013.

Schumacher retires, Di Resta to Mercedes, Hulkenberg and Bianchi driving for FI, Perez to Ferrari, Massa retires because he has nowhere to go. Maybe Trulli will retire and a GP2 graduate will take his place. James Calado?

Edited by SpartanChas, 28 January 2012 - 19:07.

#45 Morbus

Morbus

• 489 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 19:35

My predictions:
RedBull: Vettel and Rosberg.
McLaren: Button and Paffet.
Ferrari: Alonso and Kubica.
Mercedes: Hamilton and di Resta.
Lotus: Raikkonen and Grosjean.
Force India: Hulkenberg and Massa.
Sauber: Kovalainen and Kobayashi.
Williams: Senna and Maldonado.
Caterham: Sutil and Perez.
Toro Rosso: Vergne and Bianchi.
Marussia: Glock and Pic.
HRT: de la Rosa and some pay driver, I don't know, Valsecchi.

Retires: Webber, Schumacher, Ricciardo, Trulli

#46 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,813 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:36

My predictions:
RedBull: Vettel and Rosberg.
McLaren: Button and Paffet.
Ferrari: Alonso and Kubica.
Mercedes: Hamilton and di Resta.
Lotus: Raikkonen and Grosjean.
Force India: Hulkenberg and Massa.
Sauber: Kovalainen and Kobayashi.
Williams: Senna and Maldonado.
Caterham: Sutil and Perez.
Toro Rosso: Vergne and Bianchi.
Marussia: Glock and Pic.
HRT: de la Rosa and some pay driver, I don't know, Valsecchi.

Retires: Webber, Schumacher, Ricciardo, Trulli

Very unlikely: Rosberg to Red Bull - never
Paffet has a contract with Mercedes for DTM, no F1 chance
Kubica: First get out of illness
Hamilton to Mercedes - no chance
and so on...

In 2013 there will be a lot of new drivers from GP2 and WSbR

#47 fpbecker

fpbecker

• 56 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:54

Let's give this a shot.

Red Bull: Vettel/Ricciardo
McLaren: Button/Hamilton
Ferrari: Alonso/?
Mercedes: Schumacher/Rosberg
Lotus: Räikkönen/Grosjean
Force India: Hülkenberg/di Resta
Sauber: Kobayashi/Perez
Williams: Maldonado/Senna
Toro Rosso: Vergne/?
Caterham: Kovalainen/?
Marussia: Glock/Petrov
HRT: de la Rosa/?

#48 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,813 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:51

I tried this:

Red Bull: Vettel - Ricciardo
McLaren: Hamilton - Button
Ferrari: Alonso - Sutil
Mercedes: Rosberg - Di Resta
Lotus: Räikkönen - Grosjean
Force India: Hülkenberg - Bianchi
Sauber: Kobayashi - Perez
Toro Rosso: Vergne - Williamson
Williams: Maldonado - Massa
Caterham: Kovalainan - Valsecchi
Marussia: Glock - Wickens
HRT: De La Rosa - Clos

#49 Zava

Zava

• 7,115 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:00

ok, i'll try one and let's see it a year later:

Red Bull: Vettel - Vergne
Ferrari: Alonso - Bobby K
Mercedes: Rosberg - Hulkenberg
Force India: di Resta - Bianchi
Sauber: Kobayashi - Perez
Toro Rosso: Ricciardo - Williamson
Williams: Maldonado - Bottas
Caterham: Kovalainen - Rossi
Marussia: Glock - Wickens
HRT: who knows

and maybe if Kimi really impresses, and Button goes on to beat Hamilton once more:
mclaren: Button - Raikkönen
ferrari: Alonso - Hamilton
and maybe lotus could get Kubica back. but this is not gonna happen, so...

Edited by Zava, 29 January 2012 - 11:01.

#50 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:12

Ferrari: Alonso - Perez
Red Bull: Vettel - Webber
Mercedes: Rosberg - Kovalainen
Force India: di Resta - Bianchi
Sauber: Kobayashi - Cecotto
Toro Rosso: Ricciardo - Vergne