* * * - - 7 votes

2013 Silly Season

• Please log in to reply
2822 replies to this topic

#1051 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,010 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 13:39

So we have a semi-official twitter-follow-announcement....

I wouldn't mind if we had such an indicator of future transfers. Pretty handy :)

Advertisement

#1052 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,217 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 13:45

I wouldn't mind if we had such an indicator of future transfers. Pretty handy :)

Nah, it would take the whole fun away from the silly-season-addiction: no more reading in between lines in official statements and denials, no more body language reading... it would be too easy and, therefore, boring. :|

#1053 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,876 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 13:51

Massa said that it is Ferrari or nothing for him. Seems like Kovalainen may lose his Caterham seat..

Strange, Kovalainen himself declared he's close to a new Caterham deal

#1054 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,010 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 13:53

Nah, it would take the whole fun away from the silly-season-addiction: no more reading in between lines in official statements and denials, no more body language reading... it would be too easy and, therefore, boring. :|

Imagine every driver starts following... Ferrari... or Macca. Still boring? :lol:

#1055 silencer

silencer

• 85 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 14:27

did any of the F1 teams follow Heidfield on twitter yet?

#1056 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,217 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 14:29

Imagine every driver starts following... Ferrari... or Macca. Still boring? :lol:

But then the twitter following won't be useful for the silly season :drunk: ... unless, drivers used the twitter following to convince teams to hire them.

Hmm, I think I just had an idea, I'm going to start following McLaren, maybe they offer me a seat :p

#1057 BoxToOvertake

BoxToOvertake

• 53 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 14:35

strange , because michael schumacher started following usf1

#1058 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 14:42

strange , because michael schumacher started following usf1

You stole the joke that I was going to use. We are now mortal enemies on these forums.

#1059 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,010 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 14:49

You stole the joke that I was going to use. We are now mortal enemies on these forums.

So he will just start to follow you. So you two never become mortal enemies :drunk:

Advertisement

#1060 Sanman59

Sanman59

• 268 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 14:50

did any of the F1 teams follow Heidfield on twitter yet?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#1061 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,161 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 14:57

Mansell's setting up a twitter account as we speak.

#1062 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 15:00

140 characters are not enough for him

#1063 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 836 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 15:18

Caterham: Kovalainen is a big question mark. Much conflicting news around. Second driver could be VdGarde, only due to cash. Petrov has seem to run out of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kovalainen is pushed out of F1 at the end of this season. Doesn't seem happy at Caterham and trying to shop around for a move, with the likes of Senna/van der Gaarde money on offer they might try and test Fernandes' resolve.

Get in Guiterrez & Frijns. Two rising stars. They're inexperienced but that didn't seem to matter when they hired Kamui and Sergio to drive together.

Not quite, Kamui started racing for Sauber in 2010 and Sergio in 2011. By all means try either Gutierrez or Frijns, but two rookies together would be the kind of madness Toro Rosso get up to, imo.

#1064 mgs315

mgs315

• 359 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 15:21

Already has one. Well I'm assuming it's actually him instead of a PR department as the SPG is atrocious!

#1065 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 836 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 15:29

Already has one. Well I'm assuming it's actually him instead of a PR department as the SPG is atrocious!

I'm sure some of you have seem this before but some of these parody tweets are spot on F1 Slate - Mansell and Sir Jackie in particular.

#1066 apoka

apoka

• 3,511 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 15:53

I'm sure some of you have seem this before but some of these parody tweets are spot on F1 Slate - Mansell and Sir Jackie in particular.

Offtopic, but your link brought me there:

By the way, parking in the wrong grid-slot was my second biggest mistake on the Hungary pit-straight, the first was running out of wall when I "squeezed" you in 2010.

:rotfl:

#1067 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,282 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 22:28

Hulk to Ferrari.

Jaime to Force India.

Potentially Massa to Sauber but doubtful. Maybe Kovalainen?

If Jaime goes to Force India (which I think is quite likely) then it will be as 3rd driver with di Resta and Bianchi in the race seats unless Bianchi moves to Sauber.
I seriously doubt that Massa will still be in F1 in 2013 if Ferrari dumps him.
Kovalainen to Sauber seems not very likely but you never know.

Edited by William Hunt, 05 October 2012 - 22:29.

#1068 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,744 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 00:15

If Jaime goes to Force India (which I think is quite likely) then it will be as 3rd driver with di Resta and Bianchi in the race seats unless Bianchi moves to Sauber.

Why? I thought Bianchi was sort of placed there by Ferrari.

#1069 metz

metz

• 9,722 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:19

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Not so funny, actually.
Mercedes, Sauber and Williams do.

#1070 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,178 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:31

I wouldn't be surprised if Kovalainen is pushed out of F1 at the end of this season. Doesn't seem happy at Caterham and trying to shop around for a move, with the likes of Senna/van der Gaarde money on offer they might try and test Fernandes' resolve.

Not quite, Kamui started racing for Sauber in 2010 and Sergio in 2011. By all means try either Gutierrez or Frijns, but two rookies together would be the kind of madness Toro Rosso get up to, imo.

Ohh yes indeed, my mistake!

#1071 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:22

Got a funny feeling Raikkonen will either join Ferrari or retire. :|

#1072 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,010 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:26

Got a funny feeling Raikkonen will either join Ferrari or retire. :|

Why is that?

#1073 FredF1

FredF1

• 1,964 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:40

Watching the race this morning, David Coulthard said that paddock gossip had Hulkenberg and Gutiérrez at Sauber next year.

#1074 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:15

Why is that?

Prospect of five champions in five different teams sounds too good to be true. Rumours saying be prepared for a surprise, plus the fact Kimi still has no contract.

#1075 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,538 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:18

Prospect of five champions in five different teams sounds too good to be true. Rumours saying be prepared for a surprise, plus the fact Kimi still has no contract.

He has, it's just about activating a clause, that has been met.

#1076 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,217 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:18

They are just making PR of Räikkönen's future:
http://www.youtube.c...p;v=tEiw-7DQ9GY

Lotus tweeted the video, which would be a very weird thing to do if Räikkönen is going to leave the team.
The video was done by a Finnish PR agency that usually does the PR for Ice1 (Räikkönen's motosport team)

#1077 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,883 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:25

Kovalainen will stay with Caterham, they are close to sign a new deal and according to Heikki, Caterham is the only team he is have conversations with.

Kimi will stay with Lotus, it's only matter of time according to Boullier when the option will be turned in to the new deal.

#1078 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 836 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:05

Kovalainen will stay with Caterham, they are close to sign a new deal and according to Heikki, Caterham is the only team he is have conversations with.

Oh I think you're right, he'll most likely be with Caterham again next season. All I mean is, what with pay drivers apparently waiting in the wings at Caterham and other teams, the rumours of Kovalainen's manager shopping around with Ferrari/Sauber but not looking like materializing, I just wouldn't be suprised/shocked that a quality driver like him is forced off the grid.

Kimi will stay with Lotus, it's only matter of time according to Boullier when the option will be turned in to the new deal.

Hopefully after today, Grosjean will be binned after this year and Kamui goes to Lotus F1 next season. A Kamui/Kimi battle would be immense !

#1079 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,769 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:19

Hopefully after today, Grosjean will be binned after this year and Kamui goes to Lotus F1 next season. A Kamui/Kimi battle would be immense !

Kamui Nissan/Renault connection? Well it will let us judge Kamui. Both Saber drivers are the best 'new' ones IMHO, beat the Force India ones hands down.

Advertisement

#1080 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,010 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:25

Is it that nessesary to leave Sauber? The car is quick, the team is really on it, they have got money.

#1081 KingB

KingB

• 322 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:31

Both Saber drivers are the best 'new' ones IMHO, beat the Force India ones hands down.

Don't think that. Sauber is the better car and more importantly the one who works better with the tyres.
Therefore...Sauber has a small point advantage

#1082 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 836 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:38

Is it that nessesary to leave Sauber? The car is quick, the team is really on it, they have got money.

Might not be his choice. Latest rumours suggest Di Resta to Ferrari but Massa claimed earlier that he'll be still with Ferrari next season and Hulkenberg will be at Sauber (a claim also asserted by Blick - a Swiss newspaper), so it may not be Kamui's choice. But I'd love to see a Kobayashi and Raikkonen battle :stoned:

Edited by TheUltimateWorrier, 07 October 2012 - 10:39.

#1083 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:40

Don't think that. Sauber is the better car and more importantly the one who works better with the tyres.

I agree with you.

Force India was quite off the pace by the most of the season, and their car is harder on tyres than any of other midfield cars. Including this, I can see admirable consistency from Force India's drivers and they are positioned better in WCC than this car deserved IMHO.

But many people will still follow the impression and value some flashes in the really good car over decent and consistent driving in mediocre car, blaming drivers, not the car, for the mediocrity.

#1084 apoka

apoka

• 3,511 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:28

I agree with you.

Force India was quite off the pace by the most of the season, and their car is harder on tyres than any of other midfield cars. Including this, I can see admirable consistency from Force India's drivers and they are positioned better in WCC than this car deserved IMHO.

But many people will still follow the impression and value some flashes in the really good car over decent and consistent driving in mediocre car, blaming drivers, not the car, for the mediocrity.

I agree. Overall, I think FI is only 8th best car this season and Di Resta and Hulkenberg are doing a good job to keep it on P7 in WCC.

That said, I don't think moving from FI to Sauber would be a big step forward for Hulkenberg. They are both midfield teams and both unlikely to become a top team soon. Sauber looks a bit better, but I would prefer him to go to Ferrari. However, in the last 4 races Massa got about twice as many points as in all races before. That reduces Hulkenberg's chances, but I'm still sceptical that Massa can consistently earn big points and he still hasn't beaten Alonso in a race on merit (or at least put himself in a position which requires team orders).

#1085 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:35

It's clear the Sauber car is one of the best on the grid at certain tracks. At Suzuka it was arguably the second or third fastest car. I do still think the FI drivers are doing very well with the machinery they have in relation to Sauber and Williams.

Massa has probably secured his seat with todays drive. Kobayashi hopefully with Sauber too. Hulkenberg and Di Resta to stay put, which isn't too bad anyway. Not sure what it means for Jaime, seems like everyone has gone good when he least wanted it to.

#1086 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:54

BBC say Massa expected to stay at Ferrari after his Japan performance, could be announced before Korean GP.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/19861867

Literally a career saving race, Kobayashi too most likely. If I was Ferrari I would still see how he does in the rest of the season, Massa has been awful, can't judge him based on a single good race.

Edited by King Six, 07 October 2012 - 11:55.

#1087 Talisman

Talisman

• 774 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:03

It's clear the Sauber car is one of the best on the grid at certain tracks. At Suzuka it was arguably the second or third fastest car. I do still think the FI drivers are doing very well with the machinery they have in relation to Sauber and Williams.

Massa has probably secured his seat with todays drive. Kobayashi hopefully with Sauber too. Hulkenberg and Di Resta to stay put, which isn't too bad anyway. Not sure what it means for Jaime, seems like everyone has gone good when he least wanted it to.

I agree the FI drivers have been more consistent than the two Sauber drivers this season but I don't see how switching to Sauber would be such a promotion for Hulkenberg. Its more a move across and its very possible that FI will close the gap with Sauber over the winter unless Hulkenberg has been forced out of FI. If so who is replacing him?

Sauber will most likely have Gutierrez in one seat, the main question will be whether they need the other driver to bring money. If so Kobayashi is out. There's a long long list of potential replacements....

#1088 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,054 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:08

at tracks like Spa and Monza FI and Wiliams are at least as good as Sauber. Also how many Saubers Grosjean alone either wiped out or heavily compromised this season? 5 or 6 isnt it.

#1089 apoka

apoka

• 3,511 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:12

If I was Ferrari I would still see how he does in the rest of the season, Massa has been awful, can't judge him based on a single good race.

Exactly. One swallow does not make a summer. He looked better over the last few races, but he is still only at around 36% of the points Alonso has scored. I don't think Ferrari are in a hurry with their 2nd driver decision anyway.

#1090 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,054 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:22

Many people following impression only and value results only is EXACTLY why Kobayashi is getting this astonishingly unfair and biased reputation and media spin of "racing for career", which is lead mainly by the likes of Brundle and Allen and done by UK sports media as a whole.

If you look at race by race everything is explainable by logic (just go count how many Saubers Grosjean wiped out just this season), all the Kamui's poor result and performance can be explained by factor not attributable to the driver, as I wrote over and over in several other threads. that Kobayashi's seat in doubt itself is very funny and shows what's wrong about current F1, both journalism and structure (connection and sponsor matters more than anything) very well.

#1091 Talisman

Talisman

• 774 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:26

Many people following impression only and value results only is EXACTLY why Kobayashi is getting this astonishingly unfair and biased reputation and media spin of "racing for career", which is lead mainly by the likes of Brundle and Allen and done by UK sports media as a whole.

If you look at race by race everything is explainable by logic (just go count how many Saubers Grosjean wiped out just this season), all the Kamui's poor result and performance can be explained by factor not attributable to the driver, as I wrote over and over in several other threads. that Kobayashi's seat in doubt itself is very funny and shows what's wrong about current F1, both journalism and structure (connection and sponsor matters more than anything) very well.

I'm not sure why you seem to believe Kamui's seat next year is secure?

He's out of contract next season.

Sauber are very carefully refusing to say anything positive about signing him again to the extent that Monisha made it clear they'd be perfectly happy to have two brand new drivers next season.

Even Kobayashi himself said a podium at Suzuka would be very helpful, even necessary if he was going to drive at Sauber in 2013.

By definition this means that Kamui is fighting for his career....

#1092 BiH

BiH

• 2,314 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:30

BBC say Massa expected to stay at Ferrari after his Japan performance, could be announced before Korean GP.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/19861867

Literally a career saving race, Kobayashi too most likely. If I was Ferrari I would still see how he does in the rest of the season, Massa has been awful, can't judge him based on a single good race.

If true :rotfl: :rotfl:

So Ferrari just don't care what Massa has done rest of season, if he does one good race its all good for them......

I wonder how much Alonso liking Massa has to do with him staying next year. They seem to be better pals then any other teammates on grid.

#1093 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:46

Monisha Kaltenborn is in a bad mood, because they lost Perez, a driver she believes was developed at Sauber and at their expenses, only to have him lost to a front team. I am aware of her mandate and executive powers with the team, but Peter Sauber needs to sit down with her, and talk it out. It’s not over yet, and after today perhaps some Japanese companies might reconsider sponsor him. At the end better consistency would help, but if one looks around, which teams was really immune to yo-yo effect this year, and within that context perhaps not all negatives could be placed at Kamui’s doorstep.

Edited by Sakae, 07 October 2012 - 14:48.

#1094 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,054 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:55

I'm not sure why you seem to believe Kamui's seat next year is secure?

He's out of contract next season.

Sauber are very carefully refusing to say anything positive about signing him again to the extent that Monisha made it clear they'd be perfectly happy to have two brand new drivers next season.

Even Kobayashi himself said a podium at Suzuka would be very helpful, even necessary if he was going to drive at Sauber in 2013.

By definition this means that Kamui is fighting for his career....

Read carefully, I dont say I believe his seat is secure. Just pointing out and criticising that such situation itself and that some people saying as if he deserves no seat given his result, is so wrong. If things are rightly fair he deserves F1 seat, more than many other current drivers, he's a driver who deserves to be in F1 without sponsors, but oh how unfair things are in F1. Sauber are the one who should know Kamui's doing very well, but they are midfielder after all and need money, just like Williams and FI, lives of more than hundred staff are at stake you know, so it's understandable.

#1095 Misk

Misk

• 152 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:55

Guessing that no one is taking any interest in Davide Valsecch? Will be only the 2nd time since GP2 started that the series winner hasn't found themselves in F1 the next year.

#1096 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,885 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:31

Monisha Kaltenborn is in a bad mood, because they lost Perez, a driver she believes was developed at Sauber and at their expenses, only to have him lost to a front team. I am aware of her mandate and executive powers with the team, but Peter Sauber needs to sit down with her, and talk it out. It’s not over yet, and after today perhaps some Japanese companies might reconsider sponsor him. At the end better consistency would help, but if one looks around, which teams was really immune to yo-yo effect this year, and within that context perhaps not all negatives could be placed at Kamui’s doorstep.

What's your source for this?

#1097 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,885 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:33

Guessing that no one is taking any interest in Davide Valsecch? Will be only the 2nd time since GP2 started that the series winner hasn't found themselves in F1 the next year.

Both him and Pantano were at their 3rd-4th year in GP2. Only time a driver with such long record got a drive in F1 was Maldonado with his big wallet.

#1098 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:03

Read carefully, I dont say I believe his seat is secure. Just pointing out and criticising that such situation itself and that some people saying as if he deserves no seat given his result, is so wrong. If things are rightly fair he deserves F1 seat, more than many other current drivers, he's a driver who deserves to be in F1 without sponsors, but oh how unfair things are in F1. Sauber are the one who should know Kamui's doing very well, but they are midfielder after all and need money, just like Williams and FI, lives of more than hundred staff are at stake you know, so it's understandable.

Last year, there were also drivers, who lost their seats underservedly, even after their best seasons in sport, so, I understand you... Sadly, it is the cruel side of Formula One...

#1099 Misk

Misk

• 152 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:07

Both him and Pantano were at their 3rd-4th year in GP2. Only time a driver with such long record got a drive in F1 was Maldonado with his big wallet.

Agreed he doesn't deserve a seat. Guessing the two most likely graduates from GP2 we will see next year will be Gutiérrez (Sauber) and Chilton (Marussia).

Advertisement

#1100 Collective

Collective

• 1,099 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:16

Depends on the track. Any stop&go-lots of slow turns circuit will favor Force India by far. Nice flowing circuits like Spa/Suzuka/Monza favors the Sauber also by a good margin.