* * * - - 7 votes

2013 Silly Season

• Please log in to reply
2822 replies to this topic

#1301 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,239 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 16:16

There were interest from many teams but in the end Kovalainen wanted Ferrari or Caterham and clearly the first one didn't happend so now Caterham is actually the only option and Heikki has said so too.

Which teams? His manager may have talked to a few, but which ones have actually shown any interest?

Advertisement

#1302 Sanman59

Sanman59

• 268 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 16:27

Ferrari hands Felipe Massa one-year contract extension.

:up: :up:

Thats the top 5 teams sorted then and no change likely at STR. Realistically only 6 seats left, one in each of the other teams. Cannot see that any double changes are likely.

:drunk:

Edited by Sanman59, 16 October 2012 - 16:29.

#1303 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,450 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 16:30

So the interesting ones
Sauber - Hulkenberg and Koba/Gutierrez/Alguersari/Kovalainen?
Williams - Maldonado and Bottas?
Force India - Di Resta and Sutil/Alguersari/Paydriver?/Bianchi?

#1304 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 16:36

So the interesting ones

Kovalainen to Sauber? Does he bring any sponsorship? If not then it's not even worth to speculate

#1305 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 833 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 16:39

Kovalainen to Sauber? Does he bring any sponsorship? If not then it's not even worth to speculate

True. If they're potentially binning Kobayashi, because his lack of sponsors, why would they hire Kovalainen?

#1306 mdaclarke

mdaclarke

• 109 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 16:45

Could Senna end up at Force India.

I admit I am the worlds biggest Senna fan as I was a massive Fan on Ayrton and was only 13 when he died. I feel that Senna has never really had a chance to show what he can do.

2010 at HRT
2011 at Lotus (when the car was not good)
2012 at Williams (losing 15 FP1 sessions)

#1307 Sanman59

Sanman59

• 268 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 16:45

So the interesting ones

Narrow it down to this:

Sauber - Hulkenberg and Kobayashi/Gutierrez
Force India - Di Resta and Alguersuari/Bianchi

Maldonado and Bottas a virtual certainty.

Kovalainen will stay with Caterham with either Charles Pic or Bruno Senna.

:smoking:

Edited by Sanman59, 16 October 2012 - 16:50.

#1308 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 17:42

Narrow it down to this:

Sauber - Hulkenberg and Kobayashi/Gutierrez
Force India - Di Resta and Alguersuari/Bianchi

Maldonado and Bottas a virtual certainty.

Kovalainen will stay with Caterham with either Charles Pic or Bruno Senna.

:smoking:

add buemi for either FI/Williams :smoking:

#1309 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 18:14

True. If they're potentially binning Kobayashi, because his lack of sponsors, why would they hire Kovalainen?

Exactly, the Heikki fandom over here is too much. I think the guy is overrated and has had his time... he seemed very happy, too happy to be at the back with Caterham when he joined so he can stay there.

#1310 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,105 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 18:16

It seems to be treated as a near certainty now that Hulkenberg is off to Sauber with Gutierrez and Alguersauri is likely to come back to fill the spare seat at Force India. So I'm guessing the only interesting question mark is whether or not Bottas is getting Senna's seat at Williams.

And the backmarkers of course, where apparently Chilton has a Marussia drive and I think Caterham will retain Petrov and Kovalainen. HRT will hire anyone with cash, but frankly I don't really care.

#1311 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,137 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 19:06

It seems to be treated as a near certainty now that Hulkenberg is off to Sauber with Gutierrez and Alguersauri is likely to come back to fill the spare seat at Force India. So I'm guessing the only interesting question mark is whether or not Bottas is getting Senna's seat at Williams.

And the backmarkers of course, where apparently Chilton has a Marussia drive and I think Caterham will retain Petrov and Kovalainen. HRT will hire anyone with cash, but frankly I don't really care.

The bolded sounds very unlikely atm. He has no sponsorship money.

I think they will keep Kova with either Pic or Senna in the other car.

#1312 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,342 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 19:14

Bottas driving a Williams or not next season will depend on money of course, I doubt he will be able to raise enough sponsorship money from Finland. Right now I see the team keeping Senna.

#1313 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 908 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 19:15

The problem with that though is that Williams would have to pay HRT to run Bottas

Or make it part of the condition to supplying gearboxes and possibly KERS.

#1314 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 19:22

Bottas driving a Williams or not next season will depend on money of course, I doubt he will be able to raise enough sponsorship money from Finland. Right now I see the team keeping Senna.

Especially if they finish 8th, which is looking rather likely. I also think Sauber and Force India are also awaiting to see where they finish in the WCC before making any decisions on bringing in drivers with sponsorships or not, perhaps.

Force India have steered away from pay drivers so far but with Mallya's financial issues here and there they might now start looking at them, especially if they don't grab 6th.

Edited by King Six, 16 October 2012 - 19:24.

#1315 Ze Bum

Ze Bum

• 223 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 19:46

Especially if they finish 8th, which is looking rather likely.

So Maldonado and Senna are driving so badly that Williams will have to keep them. :stoned:

#1316 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,560 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 19:54

Red Bull Renault: Sebastian Vettel – Mark Webber
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso – Felipe Massa
McLaren Mercedes: Jenson Button – Sergio Perez
Lotus Renault: Kimi Räikkönen (?) – Romain Grosjean (?)
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg – Lewis Hamilton
Sauber Ferrari: Kamui Kobayashi (?) – Nicolas Hülkenberg (?)
Force India Mercedes: Paul di Resta (?) – Sébastien Buemi (?)
Williams Renault: Pastor Maldonado (?) – Valtteri Bottas (?)
Toro Rosso Ferrari: Daniel Ricciardo (?) – Jean-Eric Vergne (?)
Marussia Cosworth: Timo Glock – Max Chilton (?)
Caterham Renault: Heikki Kovalainen (?) – Charles Pic (?)
HRT Cosworth: Pedro de La Rosa – Giedo van der Garde (?)

#1317 plumtree

plumtree

• 712 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 19:57

What does Will Buxton mean when he says regarding P Di Resta: " A lot of people would seem to think he’d be a shoe in. He’s not universally popular at Force India, and is considered difficult to work with."

I haven't heard any evidence of this from other journalists.

Still no evidence but JA said the same thing. From the comment box of his Vettel-Ferrari piece,

Q: James, how good is Hülkenberg?
James Allen: Very strong driver, as is Di Rest, both capable of winning races in a competitive car.
HULK is a very laid back character, works hard, good sense of humour, doesn’t get too worked up about things. DIR is more sullen and not everyone at Force India enjoys working with him.
I’m not sure either of them is a Vettel or a Hamilton, but they can both have a career like Gerhard Berger, why not?

It's not inconceivable that they got that info from the same source though.

Edited by plumtree, 16 October 2012 - 20:03.

#1318 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 973 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 22:05

His money seems to dry up every year about this time then appear just at the right moment, I think it happened at the end of 2010 and 2011 IIRC.

I'd like to see Petrov at Marussia (Russian connection) and Glock to Sauber, Force India or Williams. Personally I think Glock deserves another chance more than Kovalainen as Kovalainen had a chance with a race-winning team whereas Glock did not.

Edited by ed24f1, 16 October 2012 - 22:06.

#1319 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,105 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 22:38

I think they will keep Kova with either Pic or Senna in the other car.

Good point there, I haven't kept up with him recently. I'd say Pic is likely then if he ends up leaving Marussia - he deserves a drive at least.

Advertisement

#1320 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:50

I'd like to see Petrov at Marussia (Russian connection) and Glock to Sauber, Force India or Williams. Personally I think Glock deserves another chance more than Kovalainen as Kovalainen had a chance with a race-winning team whereas Glock did not.

I would rather see Pic or d'Ambrosio with a chance in the midfield car, personally. They both were matched with Glock in their rookie years, so I think they both have more room for improvement than Glock. + They can both find some sponsorship (Pic probably more than Jerome) so I can see them as not bad options for a midfield team.

IMO Kovalainen performed better against Trulli than Glock did when they were team-mates. And Timo's record against their rookie team-mates at Marussia doesn't seem to suggest that he has improved much since then.

For example, as a Williams fan, I wouldn't like to see Glock in my favourite team, even just after massive underperforming shown by both Williams' racing drivers this year. IMHO there are enough drivers with more potentiall to fill more competitive seats.

#1321 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:56

I would rather see Pic or d'Ambrosio with a chance in the midfield car, personally. They both were matched with Glock in their rookie years, so I think they both have more room for improvement than Glock. + They can both find some sponsorship (Pic probably more than Jerome) so I can see them as not bad options for a midfield team.

IMO Kovalainen performed better against Trulli than Glock did when they were team-mates. And Timo's record against their rookie team-mates at Marussia doesn't seem to suggest that he has improved much since then.

For example, as a Williams fan, I wouldn't like to see Glock in my favourite team, even just after massive underperforming shown by both Williams' racing drivers this year. IMHO there are enough drivers with more potentiall to fill more competitive seats.

Judging Glock becomes harder due to the way the team operates. Glock is practically doing test drives during every FP1 and FP2, trying new parts and comparing them, while the younger driver usually gets more time to work on the set-up with a fixed configuration of the car.

#1322 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,767 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:00

All top teams are now confirmed, with the exception of Lotus, although it's highly likely that they'll stick with Räikkönen and Grosjean. The Sauber and Force India seats may be fought over, now that those are the last competitive ones available, since Bottas is a shoe-in for the 2nd Williams.

Red Bull Racing
Red Bull Racing RB9 – Renault RS27-2013
Team Principal: Christian Horner; Technical Director: Adrian Newey
1. Sebastian Vettel (on a long-term deal through '14, perhaps with options)
2. Mark Webber (another one-year deal)

Scuderia Ferrari
Ferrari F2013 – Ferrari 056
Team Principal: Stefano Domenicali ; Technical Director: Pat Fry
3. Fernando Alonso (contracted through '16)
4. Felipe Massa (stays on for yet another season)

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
McLaren MP4-28 – Mercedes FO108Z1
Team Principal: Martin Whitmarsh ; Technical Director: Paddy Lowe, Neil Oatley
5. Jenson Button (contracted through '13 with option for '14)
6. Sergio Pérez (on a multi-year contract)

Lotus F1 Team
Lotus E21 – Renault RS27-2013
Team Principal: Eric Boullier ; Technical Director: James Allison
7. Kimi Räikkönen (contracted through '13)
8. Romain Grosjean (current driver; all but confirmed by Boullier prior to Korean GP)
Jerôme d'Ambrosio (current reserve driver; did one GP in Grosjean's place)

Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team
Mercedes F1 W04 – Mercedes FO108Z1
Team Principal: Ross Brawn ; Technical Director: Bob Bell
9. Nico Rosberg (on a multi-year deal beyond '13)
10. Lewis Hamilton (signed for '13-'15)

Sauber F1 Team
Sauber C32 – Ferrari 056
Team Principal: Monisha Kaltenborn ; Chief Designer: Matt Morris
11. Nico Hülkenberg (all but confirmed)
Kamui Kobayashi (current driver)
12. Esteban Gutiérrez (current test driver; likely due to Telmex sponsorship)
Jaime Alguersuari (rumoured)
Heikki Kovalainen (rumoured)
Charles Pic (rumoured)

Sahara Force India F1 Team
Force India VJM06 – Mercedes FO108Z
Team Principal: Vijay Mallya ; Technical Director: Andrew Green
14. Paul Di Resta (current driver)
Jules Bianchi (test driver and Ferrari junior programme member; said by Mallya to be in the frame)
Adrian Sutil (rumoured; former driver)
15. Jaime Alguersuari (rumoured)
Sébastien Buemi (rumoured)
Nico Hülkenberg (current driver; all but confirmed at Sauber)
Kamui Kobayashi (rumoured)
Vitaly Petrov (rumoured)

Williams F1 Team
Williams FW35 – Renault RS27-2013
Team Principal: Frank Williams ; Technical Director: Mike Coughlan
16. Pastor Maldonado (on a long-term deal through '14, perhaps with options)
17. Bruno Senna (current driver; not having as good a year as his team-mate)
Valtteri Bottas (test driver; allegedly being groomed for the seat)

Scuderia Toro Rosso
Toro Rosso STR8 – Ferrari 056
Team Principal: Franz Tost ; Technical Director: James Key
18. Daniel Ricciardo (current driver; likely to stay on)
19. Jean-Éric Vergne (current driver; likely to stay on)
Antonio Felix da Costa (Red Bull junior driver groomed in WSR; may be put in either car halfway through '13)

Marussia F1 Team
Marussia MR02 – Cosworth CA2013
Team Principal: John Booth ; Technical Director: Pat Symonds
20. Timo Glock (contract through '14)
21. Charles Pic (current driver)
Max Chilton (current reserve driver, finished 4th in 2012 GP2 series)

Caterham F1 Team
Caterham CT02 – Renault RS27-2013
Team Principal: Tony Fernandes ; Technical Director: Mark Smith
22. Heikki Kovalainen (current driver; has stated that he wants to joing higher-ranking team for '13)
23. Vitaly Petrov (current driver; possibly on 2-year deal)
Giedo van der Garde (Caterham GP2 driver, said to have an F1 deal based on GP2 performance)
Jaime Alguersuari (rumoured)
Sébastien Buemi (rumoured)
Charles Pic (rumoured)

HRT F1 Team
HRT F113 – Cosworth CA2013
Team Principal: Luis Pérez-Sala ; Technical Director: Toni Cuquerella
24. Pedro de la Rosa (contracted through '13)
25. Narain Karthikeyan (current driver)
Dani Clos (rumoured)

Edited by lustigson, 17 October 2012 - 11:21.

#1323 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:11

Sauber team principal needs updated

#1324 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,767 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:13

You're right. Done. Thanks!

#1325 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:16

As does the fact that James Key is STR's technical director, having left Sauber pre-season.

#1326 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:17

And some technical directors: James Key is at Toro Rosso. Matt Morris is Sauber's Chief Designer, and Giorgio Ascanelli has left Toro Rosso.

#1327 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:22

Is it possible that Caterham may drop Kovalainen and keep Petrov? They've been very even this year so there's no performance reason to keep Kova, and he's much more expensive than Petrov.

#1328 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:30

Is it possible that Caterham may drop Kovalainen and keep Petrov? They've been very even this year so there's no performance reason to keep Kova, and he's much more expensive than Petrov.

I would not be opposed, but I think Kovalainen gives better feedback and has more experience as a development driver, both qualities which make him more valuable to Caterham at this present time. Given that Petrov is supposedly having sponsorship issues, I think it will take Uncle Bernie having a strong desire to ensure a Russian driver on the grid for 2014 in order to keep Petrov's F1 career alive.

#1329 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:38

I would not be opposed, but I think Kovalainen gives better feedback and has more experience as a development driver, both qualities which make him more valuable to Caterham at this present time. Given that Petrov is supposedly having sponsorship issues, I think it will take Uncle Bernie having a strong desire to ensure a Russian driver on the grid for 2014 in order to keep Petrov's F1 career alive.

But Kovalainen's 'input' has hardly helped the team move forward has it? Petrov's experienced enough now, he could lead a team.

#1330 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,767 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:39

As does the fact that James Key is STR's technical director, having left Sauber pre-season.

And some technical directors: James Key is at Toro Rosso. Matt Morris is Sauber's Chief Designer, and Giorgio Ascanelli has left Toro Rosso.

Fixed. Thanks!

#1331 jals99

jals99

• 778 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:41

Not right, Kovalainen's feedback is usually poor, and team praized Vitaly a lot for his feedback.
The only reason they want to keep Kova is his friendship with Fernandes -he is like son or brother to him.

#1332 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,832 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:36

Not right, Kovalainen's feedback is usually poor, and team praized Vitaly a lot for his feedback.
The only reason they want to keep Kova is his friendship with Fernandes -he is like son or brother to him.

seriously untrue, Kovalainen is known for his good feedback already since renault test driver 2005-2006 he got lots of praise from his great feedback and has ever since got it from McLaren and now Caterham. the reason why Caterham wants him is his great performance and good feedback.

#1333 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,832 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:37

But Kovalainen's 'input' has hardly helped the team move forward has it? Petrov's experienced enough now, he could lead a team.

team has moved forward...and drivers don't design cars, no feedback can make car two seconds faster.

#1334 Rentta

Rentta

• 294 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:54

Caterhams technical director is actually : Mark Smith

#1335 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:55

No, Kovalainen has been praised for his intelligent feedback at all teams he has been at, while Petrov has struggled to learn English and so does not always express himself well to his mechanics, and has been criticised for laziness. Don't get me wrong, I like Petrov, I think he was underrated for his performance at Renault, and I think he's as good as Kovalainen this year, but if my priority was developing a car I would choose Kovalainen over Petrov.

#1336 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:12

team has moved forward...and drivers don't design cars, no feedback can make car two seconds faster.

It really hasn't.

#1337 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:13

seriously untrue, Kovalainen is known for his good feedback already since renault test driver 2005-2006 he got lots of praise from his great feedback and has ever since got it from McLaren and now Caterham. the reason why Caterham wants him is his great performance and good feedback.

Great performance? Hmm. Not convinced about that. He was thrashed by Trulli in the second half of 2010, beat him in 2011, but is now being at least matched by Petrov.

#1338 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,767 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:22

Caterhams technical director is actually : Mark Smith

Where would I be withouth all of you. B)

#1339 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:28

Great performance? Hmm. Not convinced about that. He was thrashed by Trulli in the second half of 2010, beat him in 2011, but is now being at least matched by Petrov.

About Petrov right, they're quite matched recently, although I find Heikki's performances a bit more consistent.

But Kovalainen certainly wasn't trashed by Trulli in the second half of 2010. In fact, there was no even one single GP in which Trulli had a clear better performance than Heikki in that period of time.

Advertisement

#1340 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:31

About Petrov right, they're quite matched recently, although I find Heikki's performances a bit more consistent.

But Kovalainen certainly wasn't trashed by Trulli in the second half of 2010. In fact, there was no even one single GP in which Trulli had a clear better performance than Heikki in that period of time.

Yes he was thrashed, he was outqualified pretty much every race, sometimes by a big margin, and only constant mechanical problems stopped Trulli finishing ahead. As someone who followed the lower teams quite closely in 2010, to me it was clear throughout the season that Trulli was the better driver, even if the results didn't show it. An example is Hockenheim: Trulli outqualified Kovalainen by about 9 tenths, but had to retire with a hydraulic problem on the first lap. I found it suspicious how Trulli had umpteen more mechanical problems than Heikki - not just in 2010, but also in 2011.

#1341 jals99

jals99

• 778 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:33

No, Kovalainen has been praised for his intelligent feedback at all teams he has been at, while Petrov has struggled to learn English and so does not always express himself well to his mechanics, and has been criticised for laziness. Don't get me wrong, I like Petrov, I think he was underrated for his performance at Renault, and I think he's as good as Kovalainen this year, but if my priority was developing a car I would choose Kovalainen over Petrov.

Last year they often praized Jarno for his great feedback, but rarely mentioned Heikki in this case,for example when they tested blown diffuzor they said that Jarno gave him great feedback, and Tony himself often praized Jarno for his input. And with Jarno team moved forward, a lot closer to midfield, than they were in 2010. But now Trulli left the team, and the progress stopped, may be part of the reason is that Kova can't help them to move forward.
About Petrov being lazy - total rubbish! It was Boullier rubbish, he critisized him a lot as well as Heidfeld and Bruno, but Renault engineers - Permane, Komatsu praized him for his intelligent feedback, and he spent a lot of days in factory -have no time even to fly home. This year many Caterham seniour persons- Pisanello, Asmat also praized Vitaly's work with engineers. His English now is also a lot better than before.
And Vitaly has a lot more potential than Heikki -he is leading him 7-6 in races, despite being first year in team, in a car which was not designed for him and after joining after first tests. If he will get proper preparing with a car build for him, he may dominate finnish teammate next year and help thу team move forward

#1342 jals99

jals99

• 778 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:34

Italy 2010 for example , he was way ahead, when his gearbox failed

#1343 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:35

As I've written earlier, there was on even one single race in the second half of the 2010 in which Trulli has beaten Kovalainen or was going to beat him convincingly if not some kind of bad luck. I'm talking about race performances, not quali performances.

If you claim otherwise, please tell me in which races Trulli was better and why. I was looking at lap time charts and hasn't found any of those races.

#1344 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:39

As I've written earlier, there was on even one single race in the second half of the 2010 in which Trulli has beaten Kovalainen or was going to beat him convincingly if not some kind of bad luck. I'm talking about race performances, not quali performances.

If you claim otherwise, please tell me in which races Trulli was better and why. I was looking at lap time charts and hasn't found any of those races.

BUt Trulli didn't often get the opportunity to beat him because of mechanical failures.

#1345 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:40

Italy 2010 for example , he was way ahead, when his gearbox failed

OK, that was one race in which Trulli could have a small edge. But he had been only 7 seconds in front of Kovalainen when his gearbox problems started. I wouldn't name it trashing.

#1346 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:40

About Petrov being lazy - total rubbish! It was Boullier rubbish, he critisized him a lot as well as Heidfeld and Bruno, but Renault engineers - Permane, Komatsu praized him for his intelligent feedback, and he spent a lot of days in factory -have no time even to fly home. This year many Caterham seniour persons- Pisanello, Asmat also praized Vitaly's work with engineers. His English now is also a lot better than before.

With regards his laziness, even Petrov recognises it in himself, which suggests he does have a problem with it. From an interview during May this year:

Interviewer: If you could give your younger self some advice, what would it be?
Petrov: Don't be lazy.

Interviewer: If you could banish one thing from your life - for the rest of your life - what would that be?
Petrov: Laziness

#1347 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:48

OK, that was one race in which Trulli could have a small edge. But he had been only 7 seconds in front of Kovalainen when his gearbox problems started. I wouldn't name it trashing.

What makes comparison difficult though is that at many races Trulli was affected by reliability (mainly hydraulics) problems right from the start, whereas Kovalainen's car was fine. In that case you can only look at qualifying, in which Trulli thrashed Kovalainen.

#1348 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:54

BUt Trulli didn't often get the opportunity to beat him because of mechanical failures.

But when he got the opportunity, he was failing to beat Kovalainen more often than not.

Abu Dhabi: Kova had been in front for the whole race, before Trulli's problems started.
Brazil: Trulli had no problems AFAIR, Kovalainen finished in front.
Korea: I see Trulli had some kind of problems, he was actually running in front of Heikki in first half of the race, by not a big maring and not lapping significantly faster by most of the time.
Japan: Kovalainen had a clear advantage throughout the race.
Singapore: Kovalainen had been in front when Trulli's problems started.
Italy: OK, here Trulli had been slightly better, but certainly I can't name this as trashing.
Belgium: Kovalainen had finished in front despite having 2 stops more.
Hungary: Both finished with Heikki in front by less than 1 second, though.
etc.
Trulli had many mechanical problems, but he was no trashing Heikki by any way. Most of the time they were both able to finish the race, Heikki was the one in front. Many times Trulli had been behind Kovalainen when his mechanical problems started. He could be able to beat Heikki maybe in about 1/3 of races in he hadn't any mechanical problems.

#1349 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 688 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:58

Williams: Kimi / Heikki - Pastor / Valtteri
Force India: Paul / Jaime
Sauber: Gutierrez - Hulkenberg
Caterham: Heikki / Giedo - Pic / Rossi

:drunk:

#1350 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:09

But when he got the opportunity, he was failing to beat Kovalainen more often than not.

Abu Dhabi: Kova had been in front for the whole race, before Trulli's problems started.
Brazil: Trulli had no problems AFAIR, Kovalainen finished in front.
Korea: I see Trulli had some kind of problems, he was actually running in front of Heikki in first half of the race, by not a big maring and not lapping significantly faster by most of the time.
Japan: Kovalainen had a clear advantage throughout the race.
Singapore: Kovalainen had been in front when Trulli's problems started.
Italy: OK, here Trulli had been slightly better, but certainly I can't name this as trashing.
Belgium: Kovalainen had finished in front despite having 2 stops more.
Hungary: Both finished with Heikki in front by less than 1 second, though.
etc.
Trulli had many mechanical problems, but he was no trashing Heikki by any way. Most of the time they were both able to finish the race, Heikki was the one in front. Many times Trulli had been behind Kovalainen when his mechanical problems started. He could be able to beat Heikki maybe in about 1/3 of races in he hadn't any mechanical problems.

In Belgium, the effect of Kovalainen's two extra stops was wiped out by the safety car, and Trulli spun (or was hit, I can't remember) right after the restart. He had been in front.
In Brazil Trulli had a hydraulics problem, but still finished right behind Kovalainen.
In Abu Dhabi Trulli had a front wing problem from the beginning.
Japan: Trulli was behind, but not by far and he had a big hydraulic problem in the final laps which made him slow down.
Singapore: Kovalainen was ahead but not by much, and Trulli may have finished ahead if not for yet more bad luck.
Hungary: Trulli's strategy was screwed by the safty car.

You can say the same for most races of 2010: Trulli was stronger, but was far more unlucky.