* * * - - 7 votes

2013 Silly Season

• Please log in to reply
2822 replies to this topic

#1601 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,833 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 19:43

Quite turn around. From knocking on Ferrari's door to not finding a place at Caterham... Schame for Kovalainen because he's a nice guy, but he had his chance so there is nothing unfair about it

Yup but it's Heikki's own fault partly...he was offered Caterham contract for long time but he didn't sign it because he wanted only 1 year deal and Fernandez offered longer. Caterham deal could still happened if they get enough money from sponsors or achieve the tenth place in constructors standings.Also Heikki has said he has other options and Force India admitted Heikki is one of their candidates for next year.

Advertisement

#1602 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,833 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 19:44

Did Ferrari ever answer the door though?

Yes, several places confirmed the maranello visit but eventually Ferrari decided Massa was their best choice.

#1603 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 20:36

Yes, several places confirmed the maranello visit but eventually Ferrari decided Massa was their best choice.

Interestingly (or not) other people who should know have said that there was never any contact.

#1604 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,833 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 20:47

Interestingly (or not) other people who should know have said that there was never any contact.

Like who? Domenicalli himself said on tv interview that Heikki is one choice for them (this was around july). Then it was later informed by many sites and experts that Heikkis managers will visit maranello but they told no seat as a racing driver is available.also Mika Salo who is still part of Ferrari team as he has done races for them in other categories in recent years, told that Heikki was one of the strongest choices to replace Massa.

#1605 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 20:50

GvdGarde is underwhelming. Dissapointing, even if half expected.

He's decent, but incredibly inconsistent, if his years in GP2 are anything to go by. Guess this time it'll work out better than the last time he was supposed to enter F1.

#1606 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 22:44

He's decent, but incredibly inconsistent, if his years in GP2 are anything to go by. Guess this time it'll work out better than the last time he was supposed to enter F1.

He did look good in his championship year in Formula Renault 3.5, but did too much pootling around in GP2 for years on end, sqaundering positions in championship winning teams. But if he'd made it to F1 in 2008 like it looked like he might at the time, then things might have been very different...though I suspect his career would have been over by now, and he would have been quietly shipped out to DTM or LMP.

Edited by BackmarkerUK, 06 November 2012 - 22:45.

#1607 vas04614

vas04614

• 327 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:30

Force India to announce second driver on Wednesday

#1608 Vickyy

Vickyy

• 188 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:01

Force India to announce second driver on Wednesday

Eagerly waiting for it. But if Buemi gets the second seat, it will be the most underwhelming line up on the grid. I don't understand why Alguersuari isn't seen in this second seat picture off late, + he has significant understanding of 2013 pirellis, which could make up for the usual slow starting force india.

#1609 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,342 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:02

Force India would be very stupid not to get Alguersuari, if they don't really need money, he's the best avaible.

#1610 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:05

Like who? Domenicalli himself said on tv interview that Heikki is one choice for them (this was around july). Then it was later informed by many sites and experts that Heikkis managers will visit maranello but they told no seat as a racing driver is available.also Mika Salo who is still part of Ferrari team as he has done races for them in other categories in recent years, told that Heikki was one of the strongest choices to replace Massa.

For example Andrew Benson of the BBC, there were a dew others too but I can't remember who exactly.

Edited by TFLB, 07 November 2012 - 10:05.

#1611 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:06

Is it certain that Di Resta is safe at FI?

#1612 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:09

Is it certain that Di Resta is safe at FI?

As certain as the contracts in F1 are, I presume. He had two years deal with FI

#1613 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,518 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:20

I hope it's Alguersuari, failing that then I'd be ok with the return of Sutil.

Buemi isn't a bad driver but that article hints on hiring him purely on talent and not on money, which seems strange to me as I rate the two aforementioned drivers ahead of him, and on top of that both have a bit of sponsorship I believe?

And please not Bruno Senna he's been through 3 F1 teams and been disappointing in all of them, even if the circumstances haven't always been fair to him. He had potential but never confirmed it and I've seen zero improvements from his first race to nowadays. Though if FI need the money I'd understand it, dislike it but understand it.

#1614 Showty

Showty

• 1,260 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:09

Force India would be very stupid not to get Alguersuari, if they don't really need money, he's the best avaible.

While i won´t give my opinion about who is the best avalaible driver for FI, i really think Jaime´s knowledge about the tyres should be a very important factor to consider, perhaps the most important.

#1615 aray

aray

• 2,601 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:39

For example Andrew Benson of the BBC, there were a dew others too but I can't remember who exactly.

this things usually start from one source and then the next one to use that source itself become 'source' and it goes on....very common this day... :smoking:

regarding FI,i believe it will be a huge blunder to take Buemi...he is the less capable than jiame,kova or sutil...

Edited by aray, 07 November 2012 - 12:45.

#1616 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,185 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:43

Any news on Grosjean? I'm surprised he hasn't been announced by now.

I guess the team are waiting for a good weekend from him.

#1617 apoka

apoka

• 3,505 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:53

As certain as the contracts in F1 are, I presume. He had two years deal with FI

Actually, I am surprised that FI seems to run a model, which should actually fit well at TR: 2 year contracts and exchanging one driver per season (until they find a driver good enough to keep or directly promote to RBR). It seems more systematic than exchanging both drivers at the same time or replacing drivers mid season.

#1618 aray

aray

• 2,601 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:59

Actually, I am surprised that FI seems to run a model, which should actually fit well at TR: 2 year contracts and exchanging one driver per season (until they find a driver good enough to keep or directly promote to RBR). It seems more systematic than exchanging both drivers at the same time or replacing drivers mid season.

I think they are also in short of cash these days...otherwise they would have promoted Bianchi....

Edited by aray, 07 November 2012 - 13:11.

#1619 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,518 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 13:33

I don't think there should be a "model" of that sort in any team, it all depends on the circumstances doesn't it, if both drivers are performing fine why should a team hire a new guy every year? And I believe FI are aware of this, if it wasn't for Hulk moving out on his terms and the financial troubles there was no reason to hire a new guy.

I do agree it's a good thing to retain 1 driver (at least) as a measuring stick and stability factor for the team.

Advertisement

#1620 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,767 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:38

Added Caterham's new Team Principal, Cyril Abiteboul.

Red Bull Racing
Red Bull Racing RB9 – Renault RS27-2013
Team Principal: Christian Horner; Technical Director: Adrian Newey
1. Sebastian Vettel (on a long-term deal through '14, perhaps with options)
2. Mark Webber (another one-year deal)

Scuderia Ferrari
Ferrari F2013 – Ferrari 056
Team Principal: Stefano Domenicali ; Technical Director: Pat Fry
3. Fernando Alonso (contracted through '16)
4. Felipe Massa (stays on for yet another season)

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
McLaren MP4-28 – Mercedes FO108Z1
Team Principal: Martin Whitmarsh ; Technical Director: Paddy Lowe, Neil Oatley
5. Jenson Button (contracted through '13 with option for '14)
6. Sergio Pérez (on a multi-year contract)

Lotus F1 Team
Lotus E21 – Renault RS27-2013
Team Principal: Eric Boullier ; Technical Director: James Allison
7. Kimi Räikkönen (contracted through '13)
8. Romain Grosjean (current driver; all but confirmed by Boullier prior to Korean GP)
Jerôme d'Ambrosio (current reserve driver; did one GP in Grosjean's place)

Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team
Mercedes F1 W04 – Mercedes FO108Z1
Team Principal: Ross Brawn ; Technical Director: Bob Bell
9. Nico Rosberg (on a multi-year deal beyond '13)
10. Lewis Hamilton (signed for '13-'15)

Sauber F1 Team
Sauber C32 – Ferrari 056
Team Principal: Monisha Kaltenborn ; Chief Designer: Matt Morris
11. Nico Hülkenberg (confirmed)
12. Kamui Kobayashi (current driver)
Esteban Gutiérrez (current test driver; likely due to Telmex sponsorship)
Jaime Alguersuari (rumoured)
Heikki Kovalainen (rumoured)
Charles Pic (rumoured)

Sahara Force India F1 Team
Force India VJM06 – Mercedes FO108Z
Team Principal: Vijay Mallya ; Technical Director: Andrew Green
14. Paul Di Resta (current driver)
Jules Bianchi (test driver and Ferrari junior programme member; said by Mallya to be in the frame)
Adrian Sutil (rumoured; former driver)
Bruno Senna (rumoured)
15. Jaime Alguersuari (rumoured)
Sébastien Buemi (rumoured)
Kamui Kobayashi (rumoured)
Vitaly Petrov (rumoured)

Williams F1 Team
Williams FW35 – Renault RS27-2013
Team Principal: Frank Williams ; Technical Director: Mike Coughlan
16. Pastor Maldonado (on a long-term deal through '14, perhaps with options)
17. Bruno Senna (current driver; not having as good a year as his team-mate)
Valtteri Bottas (test driver; allegedly being groomed for the seat)

Scuderia Toro Rosso
Toro Rosso STR8 – Ferrari 056
Team Principal: Franz Tost ; Technical Director: James Key
18. Daniel Ricciardo (confirmed)
19. Jean-Éric Vergne (confirmed)

Marussia F1 Team
Marussia MR02 – Cosworth CA2013
Team Principal: John Booth ; Technical Director: Pat Symonds
20. Timo Glock (contract through '14)
21. Charles Pic (current driver)
Max Chilton (current reserve driver, finished 4th in 2012 GP2 series)

Caterham F1 Team
Caterham CT02 – Renault RS27-2013
Team Principal: Cyril Abiteboul ; Technical Director: Mark Smith
22. Heikki Kovalainen (current driver; has stated that he wants to joing higher-ranking team for '13)
Giedo van der Garde (Caterham GP2 driver, said to have an F1 deal based on GP2 performance)
23. Charles Pic (rumoured)
Vitaly Petrov (current driver; possibly on 2-year deal)
Jaime Alguersuari (rumoured)
Sébastien Buemi (rumoured)

HRT F1 Team
HRT F113 – Cosworth CA2013
Team Principal: Luis Pérez-Sala ; Technical Director: Toni Cuquerella
24. Pedro de la Rosa (contracted through '13)
25. Narain Karthikeyan (current driver)
Dani Clos (rumoured)

#1621 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,183 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 13:42

http://www.adriansutil.com/

Next Destination: Australia
Race will start in 128 days 14 hours 17 minutes and 20 seconds.

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1 - https://twitter.com/...898108963774464
Have spoken to Sutil's manager - he says shouldn't read anything into it, but admits he is "very hopeful" Sutil will be back in F1
1:40 PM - 9 Nov 12

#1622 Sanman59

Sanman59

• 268 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 17:43

It seems that Esteban is a certainty then!

http://www.yallaf1.c...sauber-in-2013/

:mad:

#1623 soarer

soarer

• 38 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 17:52

Insiders (on the Russian forum) claim that Petrov replace Maldonado in Williams. Will Petrov and Bottas. Information from Renault Sport F1. What do you think? :confused:

#1624 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 17:56

Insiders (on the Russian forum) claim that Petrov replace Maldonado in Williams. Will Petrov and Bottas. Information from Renault Sport F1. What do you think? :confused:

Well of course they'd be saying that in Russia. According to Brazilian press, Senna is lined up to race for half of the grid. Ditto for Kovalainen with the Finnish press... and on that note, come on Japanese press! Link Kamui to a dozen drives you slackers!

#1625 soarer

soarer

• 38 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 18:01

Well of course they'd be saying that in Russia. According to Brazilian press, Senna is lined up to race for half of the grid. Ditto for Kovalainen with the Finnish press... and on that note, come on Japanese press! Link Kamui to a dozen drives you slackers!

may be ...
but written confidently.

Edited by soarer, 09 November 2012 - 18:18.

#1626 Anja

Anja

• 501 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 18:03

Where would Maldonado with his millions go in case that would indeed happen? Another candidate to Force India?

#1627 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,205 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 18:05

That would imply PDVSA leaving Williams, since the contract says PDVSA will propose Williams every year a short list of driver names, from which the team picks one up.
Maldonado has talked lately of having several options, but I'm not sure PDVSA can break the contract with Williams that easily (or Williams with PDVSA).

#1628 Lennat

Lennat

• 484 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 18:24

I would be very suprised if Maldonado left Williams, as he brings much more money than Senna and also has MUCH more potential. If he left it would be because he had a better option, but what would that be? Sauber (which would be more of a sideways move)? Force India (would not make sense)? However, to replace SENNA with Petrov would make some sense, as he is a stronger driver in my opinion, and might possibly also be able to bring a similar financial package? I'm sure they would rather run Bottas, but if they need a pay driver there are better options than Senna, and Petrov could be one of them.

#1629 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,342 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 18:38

No way! And if Maldonado was leaving Williams, they would keep Bruno.

#1630 r4mses

r4mses

• 1,099 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 19:10

That would imply PDVSA leaving Williams, since the contract says PDVSA will propose Williams every year a short list of driver names, from which the team picks one up.
Maldonado has talked lately of having several options, but I'm not sure PDVSA can break the contract with Williams that easily (or Williams with PDVSA).

You're serious? Oh my... Williams obviously has been in real trouble.

#1631 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,205 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 19:27

You're serious? Oh my... Williams obviously has been in real trouble.

That's what was written in the copy/draft of the contract that was leaked about 1 year ago when a Venezuelan congressman denounced the thing. Somebody here in the forum posted a link to the pdf, but I don't remember well who it was.
I read the whole file (it was in Spanish and Spanish is my mother language) and, if I recall correctly, it said , PDVSA would offer a short list of names of drivers, all of them must have a certain levels of quality, and Williams chooses a name. When Williams decides it's enough with that driver, they can get rid of him, but then PDVSA will give another short list of drivers names for the next season.

EDIT: of course, the absolute legitimacy of the leaked contract was never really proved, but having read it, it was written in perfect legal Spanish, it was well finished, and I would say chances are high that was the contract, or a draft of it.

Edited by artista, 09 November 2012 - 19:31.

#1632 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 20:23

Well, recent invertviews coming for Williams really don't suggest that Pastor is on his way out.

Last year some suggested that he would be replaced by Van der Garde due to some sponsorship issues but it didn't happen.

#1633 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,833 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 21:27

It looks like Heikki Kovalainen will be out from F1 next year, Force India informed him that they will take driver that brings money instead. Heikki's only option is Caterham but they will also take two paydrivers (Pic ?and Van Der Garde)

#1634 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,932 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 22:03

It looks like Heikki Kovalainen will be out from F1 next year, Force India informed him that they will take driver that brings money instead. Heikki's only option is Caterham but they will also take two paydrivers (Pic ?and Van Der Garde)

I think all of the remaining seats will involve money issues to some degree now :(

#1635 BiH

BiH

• 2,311 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 22:58

Where would Maldonado with his millions go in case that would indeed happen? Another candidate to Force India?

with the bags of oil money that Pastor brings any team would take him with open arms.

if that story is true then maybe Pastor is heading on up to bigger team ie Lotus or Sauber

#1636 Lennat

Lennat

• 484 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 23:19

with the bags of oil money that Pastor brings any team would take him with open arms.

if that story is true then maybe Pastor is heading on up to bigger team ie Lotus or Sauber

Lotus? Didn't think of that one, it could make some sense. But PDVSA money would mean no more money from Total, right?

#1637 autosportfan

autosportfan

• 276 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 23:48

Yup but it's Heikki's own fault partly...he was offered Caterham contract for long time but he didn't sign it because he wanted only 1 year deal and Fernandez offered longer. Caterham deal could still happened if they get enough money from sponsors or achieve the tenth place in constructors standings.Also Heikki has said he has other options and Force India admitted Heikki is one of their candidates for next year.

Hey .... If the driving is not good enough then maybe it is better to go... I am pretty sure Heikki has had enough of competing against his team mate only. Time to move on to DTM or something else ..Keep your pride and move on!

#1638 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,695 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:09

Lotus? Didn't think of that one, it could make some sense. But PDVSA money would mean no more money from Total, right?

Which kinda fits with the Pic(&Total) to Caterham rumours.

#1639 jals99

jals99

• 778 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:13

Petrov's manager just told Vitaly is close to contract. Main questions are solved, now remain some details, but they can finalize contract only after Brazilian Grand Prix
http://news.sportbox...oglasovati-neko

Edited by jals99, 10 November 2012 - 08:23.

Advertisement

#1640 Lennat

Lennat

• 484 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:50

Which kinda fits with the Pic(&Total) to Caterham rumours.

Who knows....

And also, if I remember correctly, Maldonado brings far more money to Williams than Total pays Lotus, right? And Maldonado isn't really any worse than Grosjean in my opinion. They are both very fast, GP2 champs and too error prone. :)

#1641 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,342 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:19

Sauber bigger team than Williams??? :lol:

#1642 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,260 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 13:42

Petrov's manager just told Vitaly is close to contract. Main questions are solved, now remain some details, but they can finalize contract only after Brazilian Grand Prix
http://news.sportbox...oglasovati-neko

Maybe Petrov's moving to Force India?

#1643 MrMontecarlo

MrMontecarlo

• 546 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 14:07

It would be a terrible decision by Force India. They can choose better drivers, such as Sutil, Alguersuari, Kobayashi...

#1644 jals99

jals99

• 778 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 14:20

No, according to reliable sources, he is in talks with Lotus, Williams and Caterham

#1645 BiH

BiH

• 2,311 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 15:41

Sauber bigger team than Williams??? :lol:

not in size but performance/potential

sauber 124 points
williams 73 points

#1646 Starish

Starish

• 986 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 15:46

It would be a terrible decision by Force India. They can choose better drivers, such as Sutil, Alguersuari, Kobayashi...

Petrov is a way better driver than Alguersuari to me... why is all this hype around Jaime on this forum... I only see it here. :o Why is he better than Petrov could you enlighten me?

#1647 MrMontecarlo

MrMontecarlo

• 546 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 15:59

Petrov is a way better driver than Alguersuari to me... why is all this hype around Jaime on this forum... I only see it here. :o Why is he better than Petrov could you enlighten me?

Because he beat his teammate during a season, something we still have to see from Petrov.

#1648 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,342 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 16:12

not in size but performance/potential

sauber 124 points
williams 73 points

I don't think so. FW34 is a much better car than the C31. It just has been let down by the drivers and sometimes by the team aswell.

#1649 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 16:16

Because he beat his teammate during a season, something we still have to see from Petrov.

Compaing Kubica to Buemi. Or even Kovalainen to Buemi. Is disgrace to Kubica and Kova. You can't compare WDC contender in 2008, and driver that was driving in top team with driver that was driving in midfield team at max, and had rookie as teammate

#1650 bub

bub

• 2,171 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 16:21

Why is Petrov a way better driver than Alguersuari. Could you enlighten me?