* * * - - 7 votes

2013 Silly Season

• Please log in to reply
2822 replies to this topic

#151 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:12

Why would Hamilton leave McLaren unless he has managed to become general pain in wrong places, and radioactive for them? But then, the other teams aren't oblivious to that condition, and who would from top five take him?

- he has a privilaged position at McLaren, and if not, than its only his, and his fault only - means, he can fix it, if he wants to
- McLaren is not a bad car to take it to the battle
- McLaren is very improvements oriented, perhaps was most of all teams in 2011
- mishaps in pitstops are not unique to McLaren / no sensible reason to leave

He might find that grass is not greener next door. What's the problem anyway?

Advertisement

#152 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,475 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:31

Has RBR exhibited in its brief history in F1 any inclination to favor one driver over another? I am not aware of anything of that kind since Vettel was hired.

Thanks captain sarcasm.

So Bourdais got the same technical input as Vettel for instance? Bourdais was much more competitive when they had an understeer-biased car early in the season for example.

Exactly why did Vettel bring his brand of brakes to RBR and the team insist Webber use them :confused: , instead of Vettel using the specification preferred by Webber?? Surely the latter situation would be equally acceptable in a team with no favouritism at all.

#153 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,475 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:39

He might find that grass is not greener next door. What's the problem anyway?

Hamilton wants to be in a position to win 12-14 races over the season (or more), obviously. Almost certainly he personally believes he is as good or better than Vettel and Schumacher and is capable of such success. It is only logical to chase this, instead of having again and again a car that is decent but not as dominant as his talents demand. Stoner left the Ducati, getting tired of a regular winning bike that was not dominant, to chase the dream... it worked. Why not Hamilton?

For Hamilton (in Stoner's role) to show up Vettel (in Pedrosa's role) would be great for the sport obviously, whether it be a midfield car or a dominant one.

The chances of McLaren taking 15 wins of 20 races are remote unless significant improvement occurs would you not say? Even their 2005 car did not dominate the Renault, the way it should have.

So as long as Button is continually allowed equal development input and a different car specification to his preferences, surely this will make it tougher for Hamilton to perform as he knows he can. To go and fight on equal terms with a similar driving style and no such conflicts is a great situation instead, "of course I can beat Vettel, easy peasy lemon squeasy and I am showing this on the track, instead of idle speculation from a different team".

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 02 May 2012 - 12:43.

#154 GotYoubyTheBalls

GotYoubyTheBalls

• 301 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:41

Id love to see Hamilton leave Mclaren. Mclaren has given him race winning equipment every year hes been in F1. No driver in F1 has ever been that privelidged and lets face it Hams not really up there with the best. Id love to see what his fans have to say when he leaves and Merc or RB(they dont want him) build a dud car. His fans make out hes the unluckiest driver in F1 when in fact he is the most fortunate.

#155 GotYoubyTheBalls

GotYoubyTheBalls

• 301 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:43

Hamilton wants to be in a position to win 12-14 races over the season (or more), obviously. Almost certainly he personally believes he is as good or better than Vettel and Schumacher and is capable of such success. It is only logical to chase this, instead of having again and again a car that is decent but not as dominant as his talents demand. Stoner left the Ducati, getting tired of a regular winning bike that was not dominant, to chase the dream... it worked. Why not Hamilton?

For Hamilton (in Stoner's role) to show up Vettel (in Pedrosa's role) would be great for the sport obviously, whether it be a midfield car or a dominant one.

The chances of McLaren taking 15 wins of 20 races are remote unless significant improvement occurs would you not say? While Button is continually allowed equal development input and a different car specification to his preferences, surely this will make it tougher for Hamilton to perform as he knows he can. To go and fight on equal terms with a similar driving style is a great situation instead, "of course I can beat Vettel, easy peasy lemon squeasy and I am showing this on the track, instead of idle speculation from a different team".

Stoner is the dominant force in MotoGP. Everyone could see that. Ham is not the best and the dominant teams want other more capable drivers.

#156 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,475 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:49

Stoner is the dominant force in MotoGP.

Why is it not just the dominant bike (07 ducati) then? Stand up and get on the gas early for best drive, simple, when the front or rear or both (of the ducati) is moving around like crazy then that means go faster, simple. Baffling why the other riders cannot figure the ducati out. :p;)

#157 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:52

Thanks captain sarcasm.

So Bourdais got the same technical input as Vettel for instance? Bourdais was much more competitive when they had an understeer-biased car early in the season for example.

Exactly why did Vettel bring his brand of brakes to RBR and the team insist Webber use them :confused: , instead of Vettel using the specification preferred by Webber?? Surely the latter situation would be equally acceptable in a team with no favouritism at all.

I don't mean to appear excessively contrarian on an OT issue, but you make it sound like Seb is running major team's decisions. For someone so young and green in F1, hats dow then, because that was an acomplishment (if true at all, because I have no inside source at all).

Edited by Sakae, 02 May 2012 - 12:59.

#158 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,475 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:56

Ham is not the best and the dominant teams want other more capable drivers.

But no one is available to Red Bull who is clearly known to be better than Hamilton.
- Raikkonen is debatable, but Kimi was fired at great expense by Ferrari after all.
- Schumacher would be a great choice. Perhaps not as fast as the old days, but at least the driving style is similar and satisfies marketing objectives superbly (if not unfortunately redundantly).
- Perhaps some GP2 drivers might be better. It's hard to say more than might be better.

There are a number of under-steer preferring drivers who are very strong like Alguersuari and Perez etc but it's obviously far from optimal to have pairings different driving styles in modern F1. IMO Better to have two within 0.05s all the time, always running nose to tail, instead of fluctuating one way and the other from track to track. At least there will be a better consistently to the data, and a clear focus for the team on the handling direction.

#159 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:59

The chances of McLaren taking 15 wins of 20 races are remote unless significant improvement occurs would you not say? Even their 2005 car did not dominate the Renault, the way it should have.

So as long as Button is continually allowed equal development input and a different car specification to his preferences, surely this will make it tougher for Hamilton to perform as he knows he can. To go and fight on equal terms with a similar driving style and no such conflicts is a great situation instead, "of course I can beat Vettel, easy peasy lemon squeasy and I am showing this on the track, instead of idle speculation from a different team".

Perhaps he should demolish Button first before he will demolish Vettel, Schumacher, and take over whole world by a storm. Right now he is however perceived as someone who has suffered major melt down recently, and hasn't recovered fully as yet. Last year excuse was that we do not have a car to put us on the pole, this year we are on the pole, but cannot hold our position. Makes you wonder then when, if ever, he will be actually satisfied?

Edited by Sakae, 02 May 2012 - 13:00.

Advertisement

#160 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,475 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 13:07

I don't mean to appear excessively contrarian on an OT issue, but you make it sound like Seb is running a major team's decisions. For someone so young and green in F1, hats dow then, because that was an acomplishment (if true at all, because I have no inside source at all).

Of course I have no source either. :

Vettel is an excellent driver obviously. But it's just so well known for teams to manipulate things in subtle ways, for marketing purposes, allocation of engineers, or so on. Of course, it is a black art and imprecise science.

If it was a precise science they woud never have patches of bad form or good form which they so dramatically do (especially if we consider NASCAR where the cars are nominally identical and there are huge swings in form, winning streaks and winless streaks and so on)! :p

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 02 May 2012 - 13:09.

#161 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 13:21

Teams that already have a top driver do not want and would never hire Hamilton due to all the drama he brings.

To put it bluntly, the guy is what in team sports you would call a "locker room cancer".

#162 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 13:26

My personal opinion, RedBull would consider sticking somebody like Hamilton in the other car only if they are convinced Vettel is on his way out. Webber is pretty much their ideal, fast enough to get them points for WCC and (pipe down Webber fans, it's just my opinion) not fast enough to seriously challenge Vettel. I don't think RB is ready (or interested) in operating in a McLaren sort of way with two roosters in the pen.

If Webber decides to go to Ferrari I see it far more likely RB promoting Ricciardo ( who by then will have had a season and a half under him) rather than going for a second A driver.

Hamilton ... I think will stay at McLaren. Whether he can use Merc as a bargaining chip depends on how the championship table looks when they get down to serious negotiations. Keep in mind moving to Merc would mean a serious reduction in Hamilton's pay check ( Rosberg is believed to be on an 8 million deal but with a guarantee that the other guy can't get paid more than him) so his management would have to start looking into personal sponsorship deals Schumi style.

Ferrari will probably snag Perez over Webber, a tie up with Carlos Slim I think will be much better for them in the long term, plus Perez is more interesting than Webber as far as Santander goes.

I am curious to see what sort of deal Anthony Hamilton gets for Di Resta though, since Di Resta's obvious choices are similar to Lewis' (ie shoot for the Merc seat if Schumi retires or shoot for Lewis' seat at McLaren if it looks like no deal between Lewis/McLaren)

#163 davegp3

davegp3

• 1,820 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 13:53

Redbull: Raikkonen - Vettel
McLaren: Button - Di Resta

Why would average driver like di Resta join top team like McLaren?

#164 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 14:11

I don't think Di Resta would be a bad no2 for McLaren if they go with Button for number 1. Especially since he fits their whole "Team UK" direction of the last few years.

Di Resta IMO makes less sense for Mercedes.

Webber is the perfect driver for Red Bull not because he cannot challenge Vettel speed wise (though he seemingly can't lately), but because he is on the way out career wise. Due to that, he doesn't cause a career ambition type clash with Vettel.

Which incidentally, is why I don't think Perez to Ferrari is such an easy call. It doesn't matter how established (and how good) Fernando is, what if Perez who is young and ambitious starts matching him speed wise? That would be bound to create some kind of friction.

#165 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 14:19

I think its more peoples desperation to see Lewis out of McLaren.

If they were to have a slower driver than Button for example come qualifying the McLaren boys could be P4 and P8 with the grid so close i highly doubt McLaren will want that.

#166 keiichi

keiichi

• 301 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 15:12

I think calling Di Resta an average driver isn't very fair. He's been doing a good job in F1 with the experience and the car he has, and don't forget that he won the Formula 3 championship beating Vettel wich was his team mate. So if he has beaten Vettel in the past with the same car, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd be pretty successful in F1 with a fast car like a Mclaren.

Edited by keiichi, 02 May 2012 - 15:13.

#167 Collective

Collective

• 1,102 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 15:37

Coz he was born in the Island ;)

Could be that he would actually do great... his F3 title does precede him, even if his one on one vs Sutil didn't go that good.

#168 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 17:47

I think calling Di Resta an average driver isn't very fair. He's been doing a good job in F1 with the experience and the car he has, and don't forget that he won the Formula 3 championship beating Vettel wich was his team mate. So if he has beaten Vettel in the past with the same car, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd be pretty successful in F1 with a fast car like a Mclaren.

Di Resta has to stand in line right behind Hamilton, who is undoubtedly writing his memoir "how I beaten Vettel in lower series" as we speak...

#169 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 199 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:17

Hi Paul.

Hows testing going?

#170 Owen

Owen

• 10,526 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:38

Webber deal could still be on
http://joesaward.wor...er-and-ferrari/

#171 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:56

Very funny comment on JA about FA+MW at Ferrari:
"
There is also the question of “not bad for a number two driver” – Webber’s famous line from the British Grand Prix of 2010 where he was disadvantaged by the team when they gave his front wing to team mate Vettel. This side of Webber is not compatible with the “Fernando is faster than you” school of management at Ferrari, to quote engineer Rob Smedley’s line when asking Felipe Massa to move aside for his team mate in Germany in 2010. Alonso is clearly the point man at Ferrari and Webber would have to find a way of fitting in with that.
"

17. Posted By: Quizzical Eyebrow
Date: May 2nd, 2012 @ 1:45 pm

RS: “Mark, Fernando is faster than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?”

MW: “Got it mate. He’ll be able to get past me then won’t he?”

#172 MP422

MP422

• 1,882 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 20:05

If they were to have a slower driver than Button for example come qualifying the McLaren boys could be P4 and P8 with the grid so close i highly doubt McLaren will want that.

Indeed, I believe if Lewis leaves McLaren something hasn't been right like some fans speculate but if he does stay he is happy. It will be interesting for sure.

#173 Currahee

Currahee

• 239 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 20:30

Good point. :up:

#174 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,894 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 20:51

It's clear that Button has a different driving style. It's also my opinion that Hamilton lost the Australian gp win because he has a competitive team-mate. Hamilton might actually fare a lot better with a clear number 1 situtation somewhere (maybe a swap with Rosberg!, imagine Schumi as a defined number 2, for the first time in his career, to hamilton , very amusing :) )? Or at Red Bull his driving style is quite similar to Vettel, so that would also be a good situation.

Well he'd be a sure number one at Force India then, won't he.

#175 apoka

apoka

• 3,529 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 23:24

You also have to take into account that Vettel is two years younger and was also busy with F1 testing in 2006. Anyway Di Resta has the chance to move into a top team of he beats Hulkenberg this season.

#176 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 689 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 23:39

Isn't this thread called Silly Season where we can post silly stuff? :p

Seriously now, I spend lot's of time watching my recorded onboard races and I can tell you, Paul is far from being average, not at Lewis' level for sure (because their styles are different) but give him a good car and he will do some great stuff, his driving is like Jenson if you look at him, a smooth guy that never causes his car to oversteer.

cheers.

#177 WatchingF1since4yearsold

WatchingF1since4yearsold

• 250 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 21:07

I think Lewis and Jenson will be McLaren's line up till at least 2014 when Jenson's contract is up.

after that I can see them maybe looking for a younger driver if Jenson isn't doing well, if Jenson is doing well then I can see them keeping that line up even longer.

is all speculation really.

as for the Di Resta discussion, I think he is a very good driver with lot's of potential which he has shown so far this year and showed this last year too at times, I can see him at a bigger team come 2014.

#178 tommyhjortasen

tommyhjortasen

• 587 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 21:56

In the top teams theres only room for race winners, perhaps the exeption is Ferrari for next season.

#179 Lennat

Lennat

• 494 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 00:40

Well, IF Lewis left Mclaren, which race winner would they get?

And likewise for Red Bull, IF they lost Webber (which feels like 50/50 at the moment)?

Advertisement

#180 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 00:49

scottish much :rolleyes: f#cking nationalists pi$$ me off.

Sutil kicked his a$$.

#181 keiichi

keiichi

• 301 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:47

Sutil kicked his a$$.

So someone says something you don't agree with and that's the way you prove your point? Seems reasonable...

Sutil was with Force India since the times of Spyker in 2007, so when Di Resta came to F1 in 2011 Sutil already had 4 seasons in F1 with his team basically built around him. I think the least he could do was to beat a rookie. Also if you compare both their pasts before F1 I think you'll find that Di Resta actually was quite more impressive than Sutil.

For a rookie IMO Di Resta did a pretty solid job last year with the car he had, and he was basically the rookie of the year. This year I would say is shaping up to be at least the same, but there's still a long way to go. So for the time being, based on what he has done before F1 and after 1 season and a bit in F1 I really don't think he's an average driver at all.

And please don't even try that scottish nationalism crap on me, since I'm not scottish, or anywhere near Scotland for that matter.

Edited by keiichi, 05 May 2012 - 02:10.

#182 Currahee

Currahee

• 239 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:45

Sutil kicked his a$$.

Yeah I'm Scottish but that has nothing to do with it.

Sutil? The man had been in F1 for a good few years. Hardly kicked his ass. If the team hadn't mucked up at Silverstone etc. di Resta would have been ahead of Sutil.

No too bad for a rookie eh?

#183 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,636 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:04

If Schumacher retires and Lewis decides he wants a new challenge by moving to Mercedes, then yes Di Resta is the most logical option. Or if Schumi retires, Lewis stays put and Mercedes need a new driver. Paul is a good driver and probably first in line from the midfield providing such a seat comes up (Ferrari and Red Bull seats don't count because they already have drivers signed up).

I've said it for a while that whoever wins the Force India battle gets into a very good position of moving into one of those 2 seats if it opens up. Maybe even Ferrari, long shot yes, but they may decide Pérez is not ready and Red Bull retains Webber. Paul seems to be beating the Hulk, so he's the #1 candidate. That being said, no guarantees any of those seats will open up.

Edited by noikeee, 05 May 2012 - 12:05.

#184 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,171 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:40

If Lewis leaves McLaren Di Resta is certainly a candidate. But I also think Kobayashi would be in that mix too. If Perez is looking good enough to get a Ferrari seat, Kamui, who has matched him, deserves a look for Mclaren. And then there's the whole issue of the new regulations. Would the thought of a Japanese driver winning races with a Japanese engine be enough to lure back Honda or Toyota as an engine supplier?

#185 Pamphlet

Pamphlet

• 414 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:44

If Lewis leaves McLaren Di Resta is certainly a candidate. But I also think Kobayashi would be in that mix too. If Perez is looking good enough to get a Ferrari seat, Kamui, who has matched him, deserves a look for Mclaren. And then there's the whole issue of the new regulations. Would the thought of a Japanese driver winning races with a Japanese engine be enough to lure back Honda or Toyota as an engine supplier?

Kobayashi is more likely to go to Macca than Di Resta I think. Merc is a far more likely option for the Scot, whereas Kamui's position at Sauber is in jeopardy - Perez may likely leave, but Gutierrez is doing well and Massa is looking more and more like a good option for Sauber considering how well he did in the last two races (both times having stronger pace than Alonso but being screwed over, either by the strategy (China) or by Alonso himself when Massa was on the soft tyres and his teammate on the harder ones (Bahrain)).

Edited by Pamphlet, 05 May 2012 - 12:45.

#186 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:49

Kobayashi is more likely to go to Macca than Di Resta I think. Merc is a far more likely option for the Scot, whereas Kamui's position at Sauber is in jeopardy - Perez may likely leave, but Gutierrez is doing well and Massa is looking more and more like a good option for Sauber considering how well he did in the last two races (both times having stronger pace than Alonso but being screwed over, either by the strategy (China) or by Alonso himself when Massa was on the soft tyres and his teammate on the harder ones (Bahrain)).

And exactly how it is looking that way? What are the basis to conclude that? I see none.

#187 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,636 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 16:07

I don't think Kobayashi's as highly rated in F1 circles as Di Resta, and unless he beats Pérez all year or puts a similar one-race show to Perez at Sepang, can't see him being poached by any bigger team.

I do realize Kamui beat Sergio last year, and is quicker in qualifying, but he doesn't have a Ferrari link, has 1 year extra F1 experience (Pérez was a rookie last year), and has been overshadowed by that one stellar Pérez race...

#188 spinster

spinster

• 618 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 18:00

I don't think Kobayashi's as highly rated in F1 circles as Di Resta, and unless he beats Pérez all year or puts a similar one-race show to Perez at Sepang, can't see him being poached by any bigger team.

I do realize Kamui beat Sergio last year, and is quicker in qualifying, but he doesn't have a Ferrari link, has 1 year extra F1 experience (Pérez was a rookie last year), and has been overshadowed by that one stellar Pérez race...

give me a Kimi/Jenson/Macca thing... this will work!

Di Resta nah way overrated for me IMO but that's personal

#189 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,209 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:02

Reports saying that Vettel has signed a 'pre-contract agreement' with Ferrari: http://www1.skysport.../12433/7780998/

Agreement for 2014 though, but interesting to note in any case.

#190 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:04

Reports saying that Vettel has signed a 'pre-contract agreement' with Ferrari: http://www1.skysport.../12433/7780998/

Agreement for 2014 though, but interesting to note in any case.

I do hope so, Alonso and Vettel would be something to see. The last time a pre-contract agreement was rumoured, it was with Alonso to Ferrari back in 2008 and that was true.

#191 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,587 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:05

Even as a rumour, that took me by complete surprise!

#192 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,341 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:25

I do hope so, Alonso and Vettel would be something to see. The last time a pre-contract agreement was rumoured, it was with Alonso to Ferrari back in 2008 and that was true.

Well Kimi was rumoured to have signed a pre-contract with Red Bull when he went to rallying, but by no one credible outside of the Finnish press so personally I think that was a load of bollocks. Kubica was also strongly rumoured to have signed one for Ferrari and that could well have been true, but it's probably void now.

The one thing slightly confusing me is where Perez fits into all this. Unless Vettel has decided he's not happy with Red Bull/has achieved everything he can there and Ferrari felt it was too good an opportunity to pass up. But I can't imagine Perez will want to go there just for a year if there is a strong possibility of being dumped for Vettel. That logically leaves Webber as an obvious candidate for 2013 given that he's at the end of his career, but it's not a certainty that he'll leave Red Bull either now that he's having a better year with them. And that's not even factoring in that Alonso probably has some degree of influence on the line-up.

So I'm on the fence on this one. One the one hand it all sounds reasonably plausible and is being reported by some fairly respectable sources. But on the other I'm not sure it all quite adds up. Reserving judgement for now.

#193 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:28

2014 is the break year at RB for Vettel, Horner & Newey. Whisper it, but if rumours of Ferrari chasing both RB drivers is true, there's more than an outside chance of them enquiring about RB staff..

#194 george1981

george1981

• 770 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:29

I got the impression that after Hamilton's performance last year McLaren might have a take it or leave it approach to contract negotiations, maybe offering a deal that matched his existing salary.
However after the start of this year I think McLaren might realise that they need Hamilton more than he needs them. I think it's fair to say that McLaren have hindered Hamilton this year, Button has been given preferential strategy in Austrailia, numerous pit stop mistakes and team errors in other races; but still Hamilton is the lead McLaren driver in the championship and qualifying the car where it should be.

#195 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 840 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:31

Well Kimi was rumoured to have signed a pre-contract with Red Bull when he went to rallying, but by no one credible outside of the Finnish press so personally I think that was a load of bollocks. Kubica was also strongly rumoured to have signed one for Ferrari and that could well have been true, but it's probably void now.

The one thing slightly confusing me is where Perez fits into all this. Unless Vettel has decided he's not happy with Red Bull/has achieved everything he can there and Ferrari felt it was too good an opportunity to pass up. But I can't imagine Perez will want to go there just for a year if there is a strong possibility of being dumped for Vettel. That logically leaves Webber as an obvious candidate for 2013 given that he's at the end of his career, but it's not a certainty that he'll leave Red Bull either now that he's having a better year with them. And that's not even factoring in that Alonso probably has some degree of influence on the line-up.

So I'm on the fence on this one. One the one hand it all sounds reasonably plausible and is being reported by some fairly respectable sources. But on the other I'm not sure it all quite adds up. Reserving judgement for now.

What about:

2013: Alonso/Webber
2014-2016: Alonso/Vettel
2017: Vettel/Perez?

Would be a long wait for Perez to stay at Sauber. Also assumes Alonso wont want another contract, unless he returns to McLaren if Hamilton leaves for Red Bull when Vettel leaves.

#196 Sanman59

Sanman59

• 268 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:11

RBR will move for Lewis for 2013, given that Vettel will move to Ferrari in 2014.

That makes Webber more likely to join Mclaren than Ferrari in 2013.

RBR: Vettel/Hamilton
Mclaren: Button/Webber
Ferrari: Alonso/Perez
Mercedes: Rosberg/Di Resta
Lotus: Kimi/Grosjean
Williams: Maldonado/Senna
Sauber: Massa/Kobayashi
Force India: Hulkenberg/Petrov
STR: Ricciardo/Vergne
Caterham: Kovalainen + 1
Marussia: Glock + 1
HRT: Alguersuari + 1

:smoking:

#197 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,865 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:17

^^
Or Lewis just signs a 1 year contract with Mclaren to wait and see what Ferrari/Red Bull do with Vettel.

#198 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:24

my silly predictions:

RBR : Vettel / Hamilton
Mclaren : Button / Kimi
Ferrari : Alonso / Webber
Mercedes : Rosberg / di resta
Renault : Grosjean / Sutil
Force india : hulkenberg / Kovalinnen
Williams : maldonado/bottas

#199 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,447 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:27

I just hope something changes in the top teams

Advertisement

#200 stewie

stewie

• 462 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:27

Surely Kovalainen will move to a better team for 2013, I think he has extracted 100% and more of the Lotus/Caterham car potential.