* * * - - 7 votes

2013 Silly Season

• Please log in to reply
2822 replies to this topic

#2501 smoothcrim

smoothcrim

• 426 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:30

With the Russian GP upcoming in 2014,it would certainly lose some momentum if Petrov didnt get a seat.

Id like to see him in a Force India,i think he has great potential.

Advertisement

#2502 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 3,550 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:09

With the Russian GP upcoming in 2014,it would certainly lose some momentum if Petrov didnt get a seat.

Need to agree. he started as Paydriver, but heck, he drives well. he deserves a sear. But with his problems now, I mean no sponsor, he can say goodbye, same as Kobayashi, evetho both deserve race seat

#2503 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,081 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 21:55

There are still some 3rd driver spots up in the air: the most important one at Williams, Daniel Abt was rumoured to be in the running for that spot.

#2504 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,815 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 23:10

I wouldn't rule him out for a return next season given that a Russian driver will be a must, or else the Russian GP will be a domestic flop.

#2505 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,032 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 19:53

Bruno leaves F1 for Aston Martin and the WEC.

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/105434

#2506 Rosberg

Rosberg

• 217 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 20:01

Bruno leaves F1 for Aston Martin and the WEC.

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/105434

Thank god for that!

#2507 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 747 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:26

This article is a few days out of date, as Senna is officially ruled out now, but rumours of a certain Japanese driver still persist ;)

Force India to choose between Bianchi, Sutil, Kobayashi or Senna
. . .
When asked the obvious question about the missing race driver, deputy boss Bob Fernley immediately admitted that Jules Bianchi and Adrian Sutil are candidates.

“Jules is a significant candidate, along with Adrian,” he said. “And a few others.

“I think we shouldn’t close any doors off.”
. . .
Another rumour is that Japanese F1 refugee Kamui Kobayashi, despite already counting himself out of the running for 2013, is now back in the frame with new sponsors.
. . .

#2508 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 359 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:41

I must say it will feel very odd without having a Japanese driver in Formula 1. It really detracts from "international-ness" of the sport for me.

#2509 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 945 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:54

Maybe Kamui did a Bernie with the old play down your chances trick in a last ditch attempt to get more money haha.

#2510 MP422

MP422

• 1,623 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:00

I must say it will feel very odd without having a Japanese driver in Formula 1. It really detracts from "international-ness" of the sport for me.

Is it odd that there is not an american driver ?

#2511 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 359 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:43

Not for me, I was relating it to ethnicity more than nationality to be honest. I don't think America's history in F1 (at least in modern day) is as extensive as Japan's, so maybe that's why. I was speaking more broadly in terms of a Japanese presence in the sport, considering how important the auto industry is for them.

#2512 smoothcrim

smoothcrim

• 426 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:26

Pretty sad that Japan isnt represented in F1 anymore,no Honda,Toyota,Yamaha,no Japanese drivers....this would of been unthinkable 20 years ago considering the size of their auto industry but thats the current economy for u.Theres no Ford or BMW either,but on the upside i think it goes to show how well formula 1 can adapt no matter what the economic situation or who is involved thanks to that very smart man running things Mr E.

#2513 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:37

If there's not a Japanese driver on the grid at Melbourne, it will be the first time since 2003 that there hasn't been a Japanese driver at the opening grand prix. If no Japanese driver competes all season, that will be the first time since 2001. By contrast, the last American driver to compete in a grand prix was Scott Speed at the European Grand Prix in 2007. He made his debut in 2006, previous to him there hadn't been an American driver on the grid since Michael Andretti at the 1993 Italian Grand Prix. At least in terms of recent history, America hasn't contributed much driving talent to Formula One, so it's not unusual to not have an American driver on the grid.

#2514 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,273 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:44

Yeah the US recent history on drivers over the past 3 decades or so isn't much, but it's worth remembering they do have 2 world champions in Phil Hill and Mario Andretti.

#2515 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,722 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:19

I've added Razia to Marussia, taken Petrov, Senna, Buemi and Alguersuari out of the Force India equation, and removed Scorpion Racing altogether. That leaves one seat open and that's likely going to either Sutil, Bianchi or Kobayashi.

Infiniti Red Bull Racing
Red Bull Racing RB9 – Renault RS27-2013
Team Principal: Christian Horner; Technical Director: Adrian Newey
1. Sebastian Vettel (on a long-term deal through '14, perhaps with options)
2. Mark Webber (another one-year deal)

Scuderia Ferrari
Ferrari F138 – Ferrari 056
Team Principal: Stefano Domenicali ; Technical Director: Pat Fry
3. Fernando Alonso (contracted through '16)
4. Felipe Massa (stays on for yet another season)

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
McLaren MP4-28 – Mercedes FO108Z1
Team Principal: Martin Whitmarsh ; Technical Director: Paddy Lowe, Neil Oatley
5. Jenson Button (contracted through '13 with option for '14)
6. Sergio Pérez (on a multi-year contract)

Lotus F1 Team
Lotus E21 – Renault RS27-2013
Team Principal: Eric Boullier ; Technical Director: James Allison
7. Kimi Räikkönen (contracted through '13)
8. Romain Grosjean (confirmed for a 2nd season)

Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team
Mercedes F1 W04 – Mercedes FO108Z1
Team Principal: Ross Brawn ; Technical Director: Bob Bell
9. Nico Rosberg (on a multi-year deal beyond '13)
10. Lewis Hamilton (signed for '13-'15)

Sauber F1 Team
Sauber C32 – Ferrari 056
Team Principal: Monisha Kaltenborn ; Chief Designer: Matt Morris
11. Nico Hülkenberg (confirmed)
12. Esteban Gutiérrez (confirmed)

Sahara Force India F1 Team
Force India VJM06 – Mercedes FO108Z
Team Principal: Vijay Mallya ; Technical Director: Andrew Green
14. Paul Di Resta (confirmed; has a long-term deal, according to Wikipedia)
15. Adrian Sutil (rumoured; former driver)
Jules Bianchi (test driver and Ferrari junior programme member; said by Mallya to be in the frame)
Kamui Kobayashi (rumoured)

Williams F1 Team
Williams FW35 – Renault RS27-2013
Team Principal: Frank Williams ; Technical Director: Mike Coughlan
16. Pastor Maldonado (confirmed; on a long-term deal through '14, perhaps with options)
17. Valtteri Bottas (confirmed)

Scuderia Toro Rosso
Toro Rosso STR8 – Ferrari 056
Team Principal: Franz Tost ; Technical Director: James Key
18. Daniel Ricciardo (confirmed)
19. Jean-Éric Vergne (confirmed)

Caterham F1 Team
Caterham CT02 – Renault RS27-2013
Team Principal: Cyril Abiteboul ; Technical Director: Mark Smith
20. Charles Pic (confirmed; long-term deal)
21. Giedo van der Garde (confirmed)

Marussia F1 Team
Marussia MR02 – Cosworth CA2013
Team Principal: John Booth ; Technical Director: Pat Symonds
22. Max Chilton (confirmed; family trust fund allegedly buys into the team)
23. Luis Razia (confirmed)

#2516 Sanman59

Sanman59

• 268 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:25

The 3 drivers with the highest budgets are Geido VdG, Luis Razia and Bruno Senna, according to Peter Windsor in F1 Racing, so I would not look too far beyond these for the remaining seats.

:cool:

Two down; one to go! Do not rule Bruno out of a late charge on the rails. There can be little doubt that Force India is cash strapped.

:drunk:

#2517 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,081 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 14:20

Do not rule Bruno out of a late charge on the rails.

I guess you missed the news that Bruno signed to drive an Aston Martin in sportscars this year, he won't be in F1 and said he is pretty much giving up on his F1 carreer.

#2518 Talisman

Talisman

• 768 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:55

i think it goes to show how well formula 1 can adapt no matter what the economic situation or who is involved thanks to that very smart man running things Mr E.

I don't think I can agree with that.

Glock, Kobayashi and Kovalainen were all culled because they weren't paydrivers. Senna and Petrov who are both handy were culled because they were paydrivers with too little cash. At the moment Sauber, Williams, Caterham and Marussia all employ a two paydriver line-up and Force India is likely to join them (assuming Di Resta brings a discount on Merc engines).

I'd say that the massive change in the driver market is a sign that many teams are really truly struggling for money, and not a sign of the strength of the sport.

#2519 understeer

understeer

• 188 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:55

Is this really possible ?
http://www.deccanchr...oin-force-india

Advertisement

#2520 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 1,790 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:59

Money talks, and it seems Vijay doesn't have any more, or he has been told by his businesses that he can't spend as much as he used to on his toy.

#2521 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,153 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 17:08

FI - I am hoping some driver will get a phone call before 2 pm when quali starts. I fear, should that be a case of money, than it is probably not Kamui. I am uncertain where the hold up is, but if it is with funds, than there is nothing more to be cleared with Koba-san. He has whatever he has, and there are no more surprises on the way, at least we know about, thus FI could make that decision and call him some time ago, if they wanted. Possibility is, that even PDR is living on borrowed time; I have my doubts about this crowd for some time (2 years+), and it is not getting any better.

Edited by Sakae, 08 February 2013 - 17:08.

#2522 apoka

apoka

• 3,348 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 17:14

:well:

#2523 understeer

understeer

• 188 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 17:30

Money talks, and it seems Vijay doesn't have any more, or he has been told by his businesses that he can't spend as much as he used to on his toy.

May be TATA will put the Jaguar logo on the car with PDR-Brit and Narain -Indian. may be pressure from Bernie as there is not a single Asian racing in 2013 with Petrov and Kamui out.

Edited by understeer, 08 February 2013 - 17:34.

#2524 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 747 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 17:46

Is it possible, but this is a move nobody wants. Actually, maybe Di Resta so he can have a teammate to thrash. I don't have a problem with 'pay-drivers' like Gutierrez, Chilton, Razia, Pic and van der Garde as they're all unknowns and have untapped potential. Karthikeyan to Force India would be biggest waste of a seat in quite a few years, especially as they're a mid-field team.

#2525 charly0418

charly0418

• 940 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 19:28

I don't think I can agree with that.

Glock, Kobayashi and Kovalainen were all culled because they weren't paydrivers. Senna and Petrov who are both handy were culled because they were paydrivers with too little cash. At the moment Sauber, Williams, Caterham and Marussia all employ a two paydriver line-up and Force India is likely to join them (assuming Di Resta brings a discount on Merc engines).

I'd say that the massive change in the driver market is a sign that many teams are really truly struggling for money, and not a sign of the strength of the sport.

Really? I think you're overreacting a bit here, let's look at it:

Sauber:
Hulkenberg- NOT a paydriver at all, not one of Saubers big sponsors are related to him
Gutierrez - Pay Driver, however his pre F1 resume is better than Sennas, Petrov and Kobayashi.

Force India:
Di Resta - Bring some sponsorship but nothing major, combination of decent driver and decent sponsorship
Bianchi - Not a paydriver at all, only has one sponsor that is nothing major. If anything, Ferrari is the one getting him the seat

Williams:Maldonado - Paydriver, brings almost all sponsoprhip to the team. However he did win GP2, something Senna, Petrov, Kobayashi and Kovalainen never did.
Bottas- Not a pay driver, has no sponsorhip. Reason he got in was Toto Wolff, not money

#2526 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 10,819 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 19:43

Gutierrez - Pay Driver, however his pre F1 resume is better than Sennas, Petrov and Kobayashi.

I have nothing against Gutierrez but you can't say that his pre F1 resume is better than Senna and Petrov who both finished 2nd in GP2 while Gutierrez only got 3rd. Kobayashi wasn't very succesful in the regular GP2 championship but he won a GP2 Asia championship quite convincingly.

#2527 charly0418

charly0418

• 940 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 19:56

I have nothing against Gutierrez but you can't say that his pre F1 resume is better than Senna and Petrov who both finished 2nd in GP2 while Gutierrez only got 3rd. Kobayashi wasn't very succesful in the regular GP2 championship but he won a GP2 Asia championship quite convincingly.

Both Petrov and Senna took 3 years to become a respectable driver in Gp2. But yeah, I guess saying his resume is better is not fair, if nothing, they're similar or in the same range of achievement.

What I'm trying to say here is that obviously the veterans will look like better options than the rookies given all the time they have spent in F1. But once you compare how similar their pre F1 career is, you cant argue much.

I'm sorry but rookies and young drivers entering F1 makes it better, it would suck to have the same drivers all the time just switching teams between them.

#2528 Kyo

Kyo

• 749 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 20:05

Both Petrov and Senna took 3 years to become a respectable driver in Gp2. But yeah, I guess saying his resume is better is not fair, if nothing, they're similar or in the same range of achievement.

What I'm trying to say here is that obviously the veterans will look like better options than the rookies given all the time they have spent in F1. But once you compare how similar their pre F1 career is, you cant argue much.

I'm sorry but rookies and young drivers entering F1 makes it better, it would suck to have the same drivers all the time just switching teams between them.

Senna only raced GP2 in 2007 and 2008. Petrov had half year in 2006, and then raced 2007, 2008, 2009.

#2529 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,820 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 20:14

come on Kamui
please Force India

#2530 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,032 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 20:18

I'll eat my hat if it isn't Jules in the 2nd Fi seat.

#2531 tjkoyen

tjkoyen

• 103 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 20:26

Jules should get it. And he probably will. He deserves it, he's actually talented and a pretty rapidly fast driver. As much as I want Kamui back, I can't see it happening. Bianchi seems to be a shoe-in for the spot.

#2532 Talisman

Talisman

• 768 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 21:07

Really? I think you're overreacting a bit here, let's look at it:

Sauber:
Hulkenberg- NOT a paydriver at all, not one of Saubers big sponsors are related to him

Force India:
Di Resta - Bring some sponsorship but nothing major, combination of decent driver and decent sponsorship
Bianchi - Not a paydriver at all, only has one sponsor that is nothing major. If anything, Ferrari is the one getting him the seat

Williams:Maldonado - Paydriver, brings almost all sponsoprhip to the team. However he did win GP2, something Senna, Petrov, Kobayashi and Kovalainen never did.
Bottas- Not a pay driver, has no sponsorhip. Reason he got in was Toto Wolff, not money

Hulkenberg and Bianchi are both linked to Ferrari, the former brings an engine discount to Sauber while the latter is linked to FI switching to Ferrari in 2014.

Bottas brings Finnish money with him as confirmed by Wolff when he was hired. All three fit my definition of a paydriver.

#2533 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,032 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 21:09

Hulkenberg and Bianchi are both linked to Ferrari, the former brings an engine discount to Sauber while the latter is linked to FI switching to Ferrari in 2014.

Bottas brings Finnish money with him as confirmed by Wolff when he was hired. All three fit my definition of a paydriver.

On that basis Alonso is a pay driver thanks to Santander.

#2534 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 21:18

Senna and Petrov who are both handy were culled because they were paydrivers with too little cash. .

I agree with you on Petrov, but I believe Senna had ample sponsorship cash to give away.
The fact that he hasn't managed to land a seat tells us how much his apparent 'handiness' is worth.

#2535 Talisman

Talisman

• 768 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 21:24

I agree with you on Petrov, but I believe Senna had ample sponsorship cash to give away.
The fact that he hasn't managed to land a seat tells us how much his apparent 'handiness' is worth.

Shhhh, I was trying to be polite. Having seen him in f3 my opinion is that his F1 stint was 3 years too long...

#2536 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 21:33

Shhhh, I was trying to be polite. Having seen him in f3 my opinion is that his F1 stint was 3 years too long...

:lol:

#2537 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,521 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 22:24

He dominated Formula BMW back in 2008. Performed even better than Vettel ever did I believe.

#2538 svalgis

svalgis

• 56 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 22:34

come on Kamui
please Force India

didn't kamui announce that he had given up the hunt for a seat quite a while ago? i wouldn't get my hopes up.

#2539 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 10,819 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 00:38

He dominated Formula BMW back in 2008. Performed even better than Vettel ever did I believe.

Their results are not completely comparable but Seb won his championship with a 100+ advantage and 18 (!) wins out of 20 http://www.forix.com...0...mp;c=30&s=0 while Esteban won with a 26 points advantage and 7 wins. Nice, but certainly not in Vettel's league.

Edited by scheivlak, 09 February 2013 - 00:38.

Advertisement

#2540 charly0418

charly0418

• 940 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:01

Hulkenberg and Bianchi are both linked to Ferrari, the former brings an engine discount to Sauber

lol

just like Perez did right? That's why he ended up at Ferrari

#2541 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,411 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:32

What companies like Wihuri and Kemppi are doing on Williams' car then? ;)

#2542 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,145 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:36

Wihuri and Kemppi signalled they could join if Bottas was signed, they weren't really his sponsors.
Atleast that's my understanding.

#2543 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,453 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:46

Wihuri and Kemppi signalled they could join if Bottas was signed, they weren't really his sponsors.

There is no secret that Bottas had to bring sponsors to get a race seat. Didn't he even have to bring sponsors to get 15 FP1 last year?

#2544 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,159 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:56

There is no secret that Bottas had to bring sponsors to get a race seat. Didn't he even have to bring sponsors to get 15 FP1 last year?

yup pretty much so but money from these sponsors are not even 1/3 of what Senna did bring to williams :) Toto Wolff wasn't the only one who helped him to get the seat...there was one important person who made it possible and that was no other than Sir Frank Williams, he wanted Vale and made it possible.

Edited by Vesuvius, 09 February 2013 - 11:57.

#2545 r4mses

r4mses

• 1,084 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:05

So these days it's enought to be somehow allegedly linked to ferrari by some journalist to get discounts on engines? :rolleyes: :rotfl:

#2546 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,411 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:09

Wihuri and Kemppi are Bottas' sponsors for many years. They were minor sponsors of Williams last year and they've increased their commitment for this year.

yup pretty much so but money from these sponsors are not even 1/3 of what Senna did bring to williams :)

It's for sure more than 1/3 of what Senna was bringing. AMuS reported it was around 3/4. Maybe it was a bit overestimated, but it's more than 1/3 of Senna's budget, I'm sure.

#2547 Talisman

Talisman

• 768 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:18

So these days it's enought to be somehow allegedly linked to ferrari by some journalist to get discounts on engines? :rolleyes: :rotfl:

Why do you think Bianchi is probably getting a drive at FI? If its based on his talent and not finances, why hasn't he been confirmed months ago? After all his talent won't have changed in the interval but the amount of funding/savings he brings to the team relative to what other drivers can does...

#2548 Talisman

Talisman

• 768 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:19

Is there a difference in real terms? Their logos are on his suit only, not Maldonaldos. I think its clear that if Bottas didn't sign for Williams those two sponsors would disappear.

#2549 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,411 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:27

Is there a difference in real terms? Their logos are on his suit only, not Maldonaldos. I think its clear that if Bottas didn't sign for Williams those two sponsors would disappear.

Their logos were only on Bottas' suit last year. This year Wihuri has significant presence everywhere.

Posted Image

Both Wihuri and Kemppi supported Bottas in lower formulas. It is clear they are both his personal sponsors.

#2550 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,722 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:43

Let's discuss whether or not Valtteri Bottas is a pay driver or not somewhere else and stick to the 2013 Silly Season while it lasts.