Photo

Nice video

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 19:33

fantastic video from the good people at two stroke motocross showing a clearly talented young lad called Nate Page on his KX 125 against some 250 4 strokes (well they couldn't have them the same capacity that would make it fair), he really does give them a good doing over. top man :lol:

http://twostrokemoto...entral-village/

Edited by rd500, 07 May 2012 - 19:42.

Advertisement

#2 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 19:48

Nostalgia aint what it used to be.

#3 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 20:21

fantastic video from the good people at two stroke motocross showing a clearly talented young lad called Nate Page on his KX 125 against some 250 4 strokes (well they couldn't have them the same capacity that would make it fair), he really does give them a good doing over. top man :lol:

http://twostrokemoto...entral-village/

Dear oh dear the Norton Rotary must have caused you some sleepless nights ! Was it a twostroke or a fourstroke? Was it a single or a triple ? Was it 588cc or twice or triple that ? How on earth did you cope with all that stress ?

#4 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 20:32

Dear oh dear the Norton Rotary must have caused you some sleepless nights ! Was it a twostroke or a fourstroke? Was it a single or a triple ? Was it 588cc or twice or triple that ? How on earth did you cope with all that stress ?

LOL

#5 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 23:51

not nostalgic russell but it is to a lot of moto x guys who dont hear that sound anymore at gp level.

cheers RC but nope always slept like a log thanks, seen many rotarys and always found them marvellous motors, an engine for the future i always thought.

ive said it before when the 2 stroke powerplant was killed off the rotary engine was the obvious successor to it, if we had went forward with that rather than going backwards with what we have now i would still be paying my money at the gate no probs.

Edited by rd500, 08 May 2012 - 00:29.

#6 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:57

not nostalgic russell but it is to a lot of moto x guys who dont hear that sound anymore at gp level.

cheers RC but nope always slept like a log thanks, seen many rotarys and always found them marvellous motors, an engine for the future i always thought.

ive said it before when the 2 stroke powerplant was killed off the rotary engine was the obvious successor to it, if we had went forward with that rather than going backwards with what we have now i would still be paying my money at the gate no probs.

I don't see how we are going backwards as MotoGP bikes are some of the most advanced fourstrokes around. The argument of twice the capacity rattles on but if any bike caused more debate about its size then the rotary tops the poll. I don't see it as the natural successor to the two stroke if it is more than twice the capacity which is what all the discussion is about regarding four strokes in MotoGP.

#7 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:12

i thought the the rotary was the way forward not because of cubic capacity but because of the design of the engine, for well over 100 years we have designed engines that have the same basic internals with a piston going up and down, the rotary was a chance to go beyond that, look how far mazda have come with their rotary and only after a few seasons development in the norton it was quick enough to qualify for 500 gp racing.

they used to get a lot of stick for being unreliable and leaking oil but new materials have solved that like the ceramic tips they use now.

the rotary for me was an engine in its own right, it didnt need to hide behind handicapping and constant rule changes to stay ahead of the so called inferior competition.

just reading there was a shootout in america in 2009 between 250 2 stroke and 250 4 stroke moto x bikes in the hands of experts and to the utter disgust of the organisers a 10 year old honda cr250 2 stroke beat all the pro grade 250 4 strokes that were brand new technology, in both heats!!!

reminds me of 88 when they made all the fuss over the RC30 and it got beat at ulster by a 2 year old RS 500 and at the nw200 even after steve cull crashed his 3 year old RS 500 on the last lap and still won, sure that was the same bike that went on fire at the tt.

gotta watch what i say, picked up my "new" NSR250 this morning :blush: