Photo

Save the Manx GP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pppdrive

pppdrive

• 61 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:11

I presume you've heard about the misguided IOM Government proposal to enhance the MGP. They have got this completely wrong and the figures they have used are from 2009. Since then, the visitors to the ManxGP have increased 10% each year and last year stood at over 27,000 for the MGP. To put this into perspective, the TT figure was 33,000.

I'm sure the Government are listening too closely to the vocal minority who (probably with good reason) want the roads closing to cease or at least be reduced. The Government want the MGP to finish but haven't the balls to say that. Instead they tell us they are trying to help it grow whilst reducing the modern (and newcomers) races by half and trying to turn it into a Classic only event. They also want to reduce the event from 14 days to 10 days.

We need every motorcycle race fan to help us by signing the petition on
http://www.change.or...re_button_modal

If you need more background info
http://www.iomtt.com...aspx?ForumID=11
Posts under several titles, RIP MGP, MGP LETTERS TO NEWSPAPERS, ONLINE MGP PETITION and some others.

Of course, if the MGP dies, then eventually so will the TT.

Cheers,
Paul

Advertisement

#2 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:32

Thanks for this info, Paul. Yes, listening to the number crunchers alone can be disastrous. And how will scaling back the event make anyone more money anyway?

Edited by Russell Burrows, 10 May 2012 - 09:33.

#3 pppdrive

pppdrive

• 61 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:50

Thanks for this info, Paul. Yes, listening to the number crunchers alone can be disastrous. And how will scaling back the event make anyone more money anyway?

Russ, I believe the Politicians have some miraculous way of accounting that they are using in this instance. Such comments as 'not getting enough back from their outlay' must somehow mean that if they reduce the length of time that racers, spectators, marshals and everyone else connectedwith the races will be there spending money, they will actually spend more per day. Not sure that hotels, homestay and campsites would agree, but what would they know. As the proposal also includes evening races, that surely also reduces the spend as people will be competing, spectating instead of having a meal or drink in the pubs/hotels. They also want to increase (and financially assist) newcomers to get the mountain course experience at the MGP before going on to the TT. The way they will do this is to have no newcomers race and to reduce the modern class races by 50%

Basically their ethos is obviously "less is more," I really think that someone is adjusting figures to meet their ends and that their ends are to cease all racing on the Island. History, Heritage, businesses that profit from both events seem to be in the way of the proposals, so must be ignored by us all.

As you know, I marshal at both events and the thought of having to do a full day of practice followed by evening races means I'll have very little time to anything other than Marshal.
Paul

#4 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 17:40

The issue for me is the costs involved otherwise I would support the Manx a lot more. I looked into going this year to take in the Jurby Classic and combine it with a family holiday but the prices were too great. I tried through my VMCC membership and most options of rent or B&B but it just became too much to allow me to do other things during the year. There's only so much in the pot and the Manx would have emptied it.

#5 pppdrive

pppdrive

• 61 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 18:13

The issue for me is the costs involved otherwise I would support the Manx a lot more. I looked into going this year to take in the Jurby Classic and combine it with a family holiday but the prices were too great. I tried through my VMCC membership and most options of rent or B&B but it just became too much to allow me to do other things during the year. There's only so much in the pot and the Manx would have emptied it.

I agree, the cost of getting there is great and too much for a lot of people. This is part of the problem, but certainly won't be fixed by people staying less days, as the travel costs remain the same. For me, the MGP is a far better festival with a good mix of modern and classic bikes/races plus things like the Jurby Sunday which is a fantastic (and free) show. I'd love to see sidecars there as well, but can't have everything.
Paul

#6 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:06

Spending £300,000 for a return of £5.9 million is a bad deal say the Manx Government.
http://www.iomtoday....-2013-1-4500535

Edited by Russell Burrows, 14 May 2012 - 09:44.