Photo

The Knights of Winfield Racing School fame

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 21:08

I've had a query about Bill, Richard and Michael Knight, who along with Tico Martini, founded the Winfield Racing School.

Michael and Richard, I understand, are still with us - or were in 2010, when they appeared at Magny Cours for a classic event honouring Tico. I understand that they both live in France, if not all year, at some point of the year. Bill Knight, I would presume, is now deceased?

Does anyone know any more about their recent whereabouts/contact details/biographical data?

Advertisement

#2 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 22:24

A letter from Mike Knight appears in the current MotorSport magazine. The address given is Ascot, Berks.

#3 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:46

Was Bill Knight connected with the Winfield school?

#4 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,641 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:40

I had always associated the school with Richard and Michael, without realising that Bill (their father?) had apparently set things rolling. Seems, as Richie says, he was a close associate of Tico Martini.

http://www.classic-d...ist-school.html

Although I can't see any reference to Bill on this Mike Knight site:

http://www.racecar.c...keknightracing/

Either way, what a superb array of talent passed through their hands.

I think I remember both brothers racing; Richard was lucky to survive a big accident at Clermont-Ferrand in 1972 when his F3 car clipped the back of a rival, cartwheeled over the barrier and dropped down a steep bank.

Does anyone know why the Knights chose the name 'Winfield'? Just curious!

Edited by john winfield, 16 May 2012 - 09:29.

#5 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,394 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:52

That might give a clue.

#6 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,641 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 15:09

That might give a clue.

It might! Perhaps Mike and I are cousins. Is he rich? I had hoped to inherit a fortune from Woolworths but am still waiting on that one. Will have to rely on my Nottingham Forest pension.

(Sorry Richie, miles OT, hope you track them down.)

#7 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 21:02

I believe Frank Winterlik of 900 Werks near Kelowna, British Columbia found the Owen-Knight Cooper streamliner, and, last I heard, was restoring it. I think he was in touch with some of the Knights.

Contact info for Frank is on this webpage:

http://www.900Werks.ca/contact.htm

Vince H.

#8 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 21:41

Thanks all - that's given an address, email and phone number for Mike - I'd say that's just about what the querier ordered - they're a childhood friend of both Mike and Richard, who is writing a book about the farms of Jersey, and lived next door to them both, so I know the help here will be much appreciated.

John, I hope you find your fortune soon.  ;)

#9 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 23:03

Does anyone know why the Knights chose the name 'Winfield'? Just curious!

I always understood it was their mother's maiden name
Roger Lund

#10 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,641 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:35

I always understood it was their mother's maiden name
Roger Lund

Thank you Roger.
Stefan's site confirms that Richard Knight was driving a Winfield Racing Organistion Martini Mk.9 when he went over the barriers at Clermont-Ferrand in 1972. He was a DNQ at Rouen and I'm not sure how much racing he did that year. I seem to remember a 1968/69 Crystal palace programme with Mike Knight racing sports cars, but I have no details handy.

Richie, I appreciate your concern. All sorted, won the lottery last night, £10. Family can now eat.