1983 NASCAR from North Wilkesboro

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 582 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 18:47

http://www.youtube.c...;feature=relmfu

Hot, heavy action from the short, now defunct North Wilkesboro oval. Top Gear visited the track recently. Bruton Smith bought the track to gain a date for his Texas oval?

Jesper

Edited by Jesper O. Hansen, 18 May 2012 - 18:51.

Advertisement

#2 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 22:43

Over here on the far side of the pond a a #22 Miller Light Buick gets wheeled out at Goodwood Festival of Speed every once in a while.

When I was at 'dega in '09 Jeff Gordon had his #24 Hendrick Chevy painted just like Jaw's #11 Pepsi Challenger.

But what really surprised me is that Ricky Rudd looks like a dead ringer for Kasey Kahne in this clip :drunk:

Thanks for sharing the link :up:

#3 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 23:47

My girl went with her family to Orlando this week for some conference her dad was invited to. peoplesoft or something.

One of the nights there was a get-together at a NASCAR-themed place and Bobby Allison was there. BOBBY ALLISON. Hardly anyone who even knew who he was was there. I was so jealous.

#4 Emery0323

Emery0323

• 455 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 00:52

One of the nights there was a get-together at a NASCAR-themed place and Bobby Allison was there. BOBBY ALLISON. Hardly anyone who even knew who he was was there. I was so jealous.

Bobby Allison seems to have a fairly extensive public appearance schedule: http://bobbyallison.com/
His website doesn't seem to be displaying properly at the moment, but it normally lists his upcoming appearances.

I believe his 1988 accident and his misfortunes in the 1990's (divorce and unsuccessful career as a team owner) were severe financial setbacks.
He his since re-married his wife, but it seems that he does a lot of these public appearances because he needs the money. He has made appearances at collector car auctions to endorse restored Nascar racing cars that are, in at least one widely-discussed case, obviously not authentic.

It's unfortunate that there a lot of people who don't seem to remember him, but it's been almost 25 years since he was an active driver.

#5 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,610 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:46

It's very unusual to see an early-'80s Chevy Malibu as driven here by Dave Marcis. Nearly all the Chevy guys raced Monte Carlos.

#6 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:29

Just watched the race again incredible that Mark Martin & Bill Elliot still make irregular appearances in the series.

#7 rateus

rateus

• 218 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:06

Just watched the race again incredible that Mark Martin & Bill Elliot still make irregular appearances in the series.

Terry Labonte has made a couple of starts this year as well, and this race was the year before his first championship...

#8 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:23

Terry Labonte has made a couple of starts this year as well, and this race was the year before his first championship...

:up:

#9 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,576 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 13:13

The way they pronounced Terry's name was a bit of a surprise to me, the same with one or two of the others.