Photo

Paul Hembery Doesn't Get It

• Please log in to reply
367 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Paul Hembrey learn to STFU? (168 member(s) have cast votes)

I really love F1 this year, but I really think that Paul Hembery should learn to STFU

1. I 100% agree (60 votes [35.93%])

Percentage of vote: 35.93%

2. I dont agree, I like to hear him speak on and on! (58 votes [34.73%])

Percentage of vote: 34.73%

3. I dont agree; I just cant stand the racing this year (49 votes [29.34%])

Percentage of vote: 29.34%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 fbx

fbx

• 10 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:07

Paul Hembery says on Autosport.com today that "unpredictability isn't hurting Formula 1." The problem is, INDUCED unpredictability turns racing into a joke, something akin to a Paint Ball Session.

With the INTENTIONALLY "designed to fail" Pirelli tires, we don't have any RACING at all, really, we don't have any BEST DRIVERS, and FASTEST CARS, and ONE-ON-ONE competition. Instead, we have what is essentially a CORPORATE EASTER EGG HUNT wherein twenty big businesses try to figure out how to jump through the hoops Pirelli has created.

Yes, we do get various winners. Whoopee! But do we believe for a NANOSECOND that Maldonado or Rosberg really are among the top drivers in Formula 1? With Lewis, and Alonso, and Vettel, and Button, and so on? Not a freaking chance. Not in a million years.

Here's an idea. Why don't we give the guys good, good, lasting tires, ones that the drivers and the cars can go all out on, and then, to get the UNPREDICTABILITY we want, post guys with rifles at various points around the track, and have them just SHOOT AT the top drivers and cars, causing them to have to dodge the bullets to avoid, you know, getting killed.

That would give us a very unpredictable season, wouldn't it?

Edited by D.M.N., 21 May 2012 - 17:05.
merge poll into this thread

Advertisement

#2 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,456 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:11

To be honest I see it as a lot of fans who like long dominant stints on durable tyres with a predictable winner as the ones who don't get it. Finally we have the element back where drivers are expected to use their skills and look after their tyres rather than the fastest guy winning the race. This isn't the first time in history cars can't go flat out for the entire race, and IMO its been fantastic for the sport. Its not to everybodys taste and thats to be expected, but we had the same outcry before 2009 when the regs concerning wings and aero were changed and people had to get used to it. Give it time.

#3 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,716 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:12

rather than the fastest guy winning the race.

:)

yeap

#4 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,456 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:15

:)

yeap

:up:

#5 fbx

fbx

• 10 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:15

rather than the fastest guy winning the race

I think you might want to look up the definition of "race" or "racing."

Do you want golf or putt-putt?

#6 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:19

But do we believe for a NANOSECOND that Maldonado or Rosberg really are among the top drivers in Formula 1? With Lewis, and Alonso, and Vettel, and Button, and so on? Not a freaking chance. Not in a million years.

Well, I do. What this season has done I think is proved that most of the drivers are actually equal. Previously people would think that only drivers in the top teams were any good.

Additionally, this constant overreaction has gone far too far. It's not like Pirelli are giving better tyres to some teams; everything is equal and whichever drivers and teams master how to use them, then they deserve to win.

#7 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,456 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:20

There are many forms of racing. Why did drivers like Fangio and Prost win in the slowest means possible? Because they were able to maximise performance when it mattered and bring the car home when not necessarily being the fastest on track. I've been watching this sport for 24 years so no amount of sarcastic answers or lame analogies are going to change my opinion here. :wave:

#8 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:21

Championship Standings:

1. Vettel
2. Alonso
3. Hamilton

The three best drivers in the top 3? The cream will always rise to the top.

#9 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,037 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:24

I think the loss of EBD and the subsequent change in aero has had a bigger effect this year than any change to the tyres.

#10 MrMontecarlo

MrMontecarlo

• 546 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:24

To be honest I see it as a lot of fans who like long dominant stints on durable tyres with a predictable winner as the ones who don't get it. Finally we have the element back where drivers are expected to use their skills and look after their tyres rather than the fastest guy winning the race. This isn't the first time in history cars can't go flat out for the entire race, and IMO its been fantastic for the sport. Its not to everybodys taste and thats to be expected, but we had the same outcry before 2009 when the regs concerning wings and aero were changed and people had to get used to it. Give it time.

What an aberration :rolleyes:

#11 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 3,163 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:26

Championship Standings:

1. Vettel
2. Alonso
3. Hamilton

"/thread", really. Not much more to say.

#12 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,456 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:26

What an aberration :rolleyes:

You evidently fall intot he category which I outlined in the first line of that post. You're welcome to that opinion and although I may be mocked here for my opinion on this matter, I shall not stoop to the level of mocking others for wanting a different form of racing.

#13 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:29

Championship Standings:

1. Vettel
2. Alonso
3. Hamilton

Agreed. No lottery. If the best drivers are still the best, and the races are way more exciting, where is the problem?

#14 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:33

Championship Standings:

1. Vettel
2. Alonso
3. Hamilton

It's not only the end, but journey that I value. This year I am still waiting...

#15 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,594 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:35

There are many forms of racing. Why did drivers like Fangio and Prost win in the slowest means possible? Because they were able to maximise performance when it mattered and bring the car home when not necessarily being the fastest on track. I've been watching this sport for 24 years so no amount of sarcastic answers or lame analogies are going to change my opinion here. :wave:

Nooooo, not Fangio, and than Prost again, please. Slowest means possible? Really? Fangio and Prost won in the fastest way possible. You are sitting on your horse in the wrong direction. driver skills? The exact problem with these tyres is that they restrict a good part of driver skills. These tyres would make Prost cry in anger.

Edited by Szoelloe, 18 May 2012 - 19:36.

#16 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,456 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:37

Nooooo, not Fangio, and than Prost again, please. Slowest means possible? Really? Fangio and Prost won in the fastest way possible. You are sitting on your horse in the wrong direction. driver skills? The exact problem with these tyres is that they restrict a good part of driver driver skills. These tyres would make Prost cry in anger.

Haha, well as much as I'd like to waste more of my Friday night arguing this point, I think I'll get myself a beer and watch TV with my wife. I've said my opinion so cheers guys and gals, and happy debating. I shall return another time. :up: :)

Edited by tifosiMac, 18 May 2012 - 19:37.

#17 sumpthy

sumpthy

• 290 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:38

Championship Standings:

1. Vettel
2. Alonso
3. Hamilton

:clap:

It's funny how the people calling this season a "lottery" seem to be ignoring the fact the guys widely regarded as the best six drivers in the sport are the guys holding the top six positions in just about the exact positions they'd be in if this board took a poll on the best driver. (Button would probably be above Webber and the top 4 may be jumbled a bit).

#18 Risil

Risil

• 13,139 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:40

Does anyone remember the 2000 Champ Car season? This year's F1 reminds me of that.

Edited by Risil, 18 May 2012 - 19:50.

#19 Trust

Trust

• 3,159 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:41

Championship Standings:

1. Vettel
2. Alonso
3. Hamilton

Where's 4th contender?

Advertisement

#20 robefc

robefc

• 7,981 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:45

Why do people who don't like the current tyres blame Pirelli?

Blame the mandate not those fulfilling it.

#21 Fox1

Fox1

• 576 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:52

Personally, I'd take put-put because I think it helps level the playing field to a point where even I can compete.

Seriously, there is way too much talk about the Pirellis, that in itself tells me something is wrong. I don't like them because F1 teams collectively spend over a billion dollars to produce the finest racing machines only to have them race on rubber designed to be substandard by F1 standards.

The "greater good" of "the show" seems to be the overriding argument over the purists who would prefer a tyre competition. I still think the top teams will figure the Pirellis out, and more often than not will rise to the top.

#22 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Why do people who don't like the current tyres blame Pirelli?

Blame the mandate not those fulfilling it.

Pirelli were instructed to make degradable rubber - they were not instructed to make rubber that degraded linearly the faster you went on it, with such a narrow band of operation so as to randomise the pecking order.

#23 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,114 posts

Where's 4th contender?

He's 4th :D

#24 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,586 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:55

arent maldono and rosberg gp2 champions?

#25 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:57

Pirelli were instructed to make degradable rubber - they were not instructed to make rubber that degraded linearly the faster you went on it, with such a narrow band of operation so as to randomise the pecking order.

It doesn't randomise the pecking order; it just causes more pitstops. The pace of the cars is real. So, the Williams was second-fastest in Spain on merit, not because they got lucky with the tyres. It's funny how people have been moaning for years about domination by Red Bull, Ferrari and Mclaren, but as soon as this dominance is broken, they cry foul. Never happy, F1 fans.

#26 blackonyx4

blackonyx4

• 1,284 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:59

Nooooo, not Fangio, and than Prost again, please. Slowest means possible? Really? Fangio and Prost won in the fastest way possible. You are sitting on your horse in the wrong direction. driver skills? The exact problem with these tyres is that they restrict a good part of driver skills. These tyres would make Prost cry in anger.

I'd like to see all of today's drivers to run a race in one of Fangio's cars with those "bicycle" tires. I'll bet none of them would ever again criticized modern tires.

Edited by blackonyx4, 18 May 2012 - 19:59.

#27 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,577 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:03

Most likelly the people complaining are those who expected their favourite drivers/teams to have it in the bag this year.

After being bored to death during the M$ era and the past couple boring and predictable seasons this one is really refreshing.

And I don't believe it's on the tyres only. The teams spent seasons tunning it for the effin diffusers and now the party is over. It just shuffles it. And it's good.

Edited by saudoso, 18 May 2012 - 20:05.

#28 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 685 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:06

Paul Hembery says on Autosport.com today that "unpredictability isn't hurting Formula 1." The problem is, INDUCED unpredictability turns racing into a joke, something akin to a Paint Ball Session.

With the INTENTIONALLY "designed to fail" Pirelli tires, we don't have any RACING at all, really, we don't have any BEST DRIVERS, and FASTEST CARS, and ONE-ON-ONE competition. Instead, we have what is essentially a CORPORATE EASTER EGG HUNT wherein twenty big businesses try to figure out how to jump through the hoops Pirelli has created.

Yes, we do get various winners. Whoopee! But do we believe for a NANOSECOND that Maldonado or Rosberg really are among the top drivers in Formula 1? With Lewis, and Alonso, and Vettel, and Button, and so on? Not a freaking chance. Not in a million years.

Here's an idea. Why don't we give the guys good, good, lasting tires, ones that the drivers and the cars can go all out on, and then, to get the UNPREDICTABILITY we want, post guys with rifles at various points around the track, and have them just SHOOT AT the top drivers and cars, causing them to have to dodge the bullets to avoid, you know, getting killed.

I think he's better than Button and also believe Vettel's overrated but would need to see them in the same team to get a real indication, would also need to see him in the same team against Hamilton to compare however I don't think he's as good as Alonso. What if Schumi hasn't lost it and Rosberg's the best driver on the grid? (Highly unlikely but you can't say for a fact it's not true.)

#29 sharo

sharo

• 1,763 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:08

We have 6 WDC drivers and no direct battles among them whatsoever. This can't be normal.

#30 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:10

I think you want to watch DRAG RACING rather than Formula 1 with 60 laps where going FAST is not always the FASTEST way to win!.

#31 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:11

#32 Octavian

Octavian

• 703 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:12

Paul Hembery is an out and out idiot whom loves the sound of his own voice. The company he represents is ruining F1 and he's revelling in it. Nothing but a loud mouth selling snake oil to saps (IE. casual fans).

#33 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:14

Well, I do. What this season has done I think is proved that most of the drivers are actually equal. Previously people would think that only drivers in the top teams were any good.

Additionally, this constant overreaction has gone far too far. It's not like Pirelli are giving better tyres to some teams; everything is equal and whichever drivers and teams master how to use them, then they deserve to win.

I DO too...70% of the current drivers (that includes Rosberg and Pastor) are more than capable of winning races given the opportunity of driving a fast car as McLaren, Ferrari, or Red Bull...Some people here have double-standard view of drivers...F1 drivers are most of the time only as good as their car.

#34 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:15

Aaaaaaaaargh, not again. No, you are the one that don't get it.

Hembery is the only person talking frankly and straightforwardly about the current tyres. No one else is talking about the solution and root of the problem. One: teams were for the current type of tyres. Two: only teams can change the tyres. Three: teams don't know what they want and can't agree on anything. [See: mid-season tests, young drivers tests for recent examples] Four: No one is trying to tell what the real situation really is. How big this "lottery" is with wins from: Vettel, Alonso and Button, top drivers from 2011. Or that three out of five races one driver - Lewis Hamilton - was fastest in qualifying. Which is the very opposite of lottery.

But do we hear about it from team principals or drivers? No, what we do hear is a regular combination of misinformation, waiting game (maybe we'll figure it out ourselves), big fat excuses, exaggeration, controlled leaks, black marketing and regular marketing. You see the problem is that they sold to sponsors, TV broadcasters and general public that they are big, great and invincible and their drivers can walk on water. But when there's a tighter field, mistakes happen and are costly (for everyone) and we don't see exactly the same names winning again and again, like last year, interested parties demand an explanation. That's why we have such a pathetic displays of dishonesty. Under the guise of care for real racing, and "that's not what fans want" lie. Instead of telling how we can change it they invent catchy oversimplifications like "they're not pushing 100%". Like it's some sort of golden standard of F1.

The latest chapter: RB prepared propaganda. Do you really think that Mateschitz, Webber, Vettel and lately Horner woke up one day and decided to share their views on tyres with their cheesy one-liners. No, it's a purely marketing exercise. The timing of this is also significant. They didn't do it after Bahrain, because of course when they win it it's always on merit. Only when they lose it's "a lottery".

Although IMO they went too far this time to be treated seriously. It's OK that marketing message needs to be appropriately strong and dumbed down: OMG we don't win because it's a lottery. Not because: our driver sucks at qualifying, and other at starts, or we didn't send him in Q2, or we had to change the noses, or KERS doesn't work, or our driver can't lap slower cars without crashing. No, because it's a lottery. Simple enough for Red Bull salesman and team orders liar. Just repeat it many times and the chance is some people will believe it. But Horner's "we may win in Monaco or Caterham may win (lottery!!)" or Vettel's "Marussia or Red Bull the same" is too silly even as a joke.

So remember, next time Red Bull wins the race it means nothing, it's just a coincidence it wasn't HRT. Tee, hee.

#35 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:15

Agreed fbx, Paul Hembery doesn't get it at all.

No, you are the one that don't get it.

No. These types of unpredictable races we've seen are not WORTH ruining on-the-limit racing, where drivers can battle each other for a longer period of time, back and forth (not just one pass!). I want to see man and machinery on the limit, especially man (I care a lot about the human factor in racing). If the cars are fast and hard to get absolute maximum out of, then we will start seeing driver mistakes, and we will see people who stand out. The human factor is where the unpredictability shall come from, not tyres which are engineered to be something.

Produce ground effect, mechanical-grip cars. Make the cars harder to drive. There you go, you have unpredictability from the human-factor, you have individuals who stand out from the rest. You have racers battling their own car to get max out of it, while battling others on the track at the same time. You have excitement and passion. You have brilliant human performances that are not about "oh my tyres held up when I cruised!", but raw speed and control.

I don't want to see slow-but-consistent-robots who jump into cars and grind their way to the finish (and press a button whenever they feel like passing), when they know they can actually go much faster. They should ALWAYS be as fast as they can, with concentration levels at a maximum.

The "excitement" we have now comes only from the performance of the cars and tyres. That doesn't excite me. What excite me is what a racer can do with his car - and that has been extremely limited by Pirelli, which I hate.

When someone won a race a few years ago, their joy was real and you could feel that they had really given their all during the race. Now you have them over radio saying "Good work team - the plan with making the tyres last worked." or something and that's it.

I am allergic to everything that is fake corporate bullshit, and it feels that F1 is just getting more and more of it. I don't want to see it being turned into something like Nascar.

Edited by Alx09, 18 May 2012 - 20:54.

#36 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:17

Paul Hembery is an out and out idiot whom loves the sound of his own voice. The company he represents is ruining F1 and he's revelling in it. Nothing but a loud mouth selling snake oil to saps (IE. casual fans).

What do you expect him to do? keep quiet?
If you want him to keep quiet, then we might as well all keep quiet and stop complaining on this board.

#37 schubacca

schubacca

• 795 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:22

Hembery really does not get it.

He uses a strawman argument that Pirelli detractors are mean because we are not happy for Maldonado....

I am happy for all of the GP winners this year.

This does not mean that the tyres are not a joke.

Once again: Pirelli should not care who WINS A GP!

That is not their concern. The paddock being happy for the driver is not their concern.

producing a tyre whose performance does not fall off a cliff after a couple of laps is their concern.

#38 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:22

Agreed. No lottery. If the best drivers are still the best, and the races are way more exciting, where is the problem?

Maybe their driver is not in this top 3, that is why they are against Pirelli...
My driver is not in the top 3 but I dont see any issues with Pirellis..races have been really exciting so far.

#39 Octavian

Octavian

• 703 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:24

If you want him to keep quiet, then we might as well all keep quiet and stop complaining on this board.

I expect him to show some decorum and class. He knows the tyres are wrong for the sport yet he's continuing to push them as if they are the best thing since sliced bread. When other tyre suppliers got it wrong in the past I don't remember them spewing as much BS as Hembery.

Aside from that he's also arrogant, self opinionated, vain and unable to take criticism - that's from personal experience.

Advertisement

#40 schubacca

schubacca

• 795 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:25

I expect him to answer the charges of MS, SV, MW, JB, and the owner of Red Bull DM.

I expect him to speak directly and not use strawman arguments to address points that nobodies talking about.

I expect him to not say that there is no problem.....

#41 sumpthy

sumpthy

• 290 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:25

We have 6 WDC drivers and no direct battles among them whatsoever. This can't be normal.

What are you talking about? Off the top of my head we've definitely seen Vettel racing Raikkonen, Alonso racing Raikkonen, Vettel racing Hamilton, Vettel racing Button, Hamilton racing Button and 5 of those WDCs are fighting each other for the championship.

#42 Octavian

Octavian

• 703 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:27

Maybe their driver is not in this top 3, that is why they are against Pirelli...
My driver is not in the top 3 but I dont see any issues with Pirellis..races have been really exciting so far.

"My driver" hasn't been in the top 3 since 2006 and I've only had cause to complain this year. Don't presume to know everyone's reasons pal.

#43 Xpat

Xpat

• 3,577 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:29

Posted Image

#44 byronbolscher

byronbolscher

• 242 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:30

Who are the top 4 in the championship? Answer: Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, Raikkonen. Most would argue that those people are also the best drivers on the grid, so the best drivers are still the ones to beat. In the past drivers like Fisichella managed to win races, so I don't know why people are so upset about a Rosberg or a Maldonado winning a race.

Edited by byronbolscher, 18 May 2012 - 20:31.

#45 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:34

I expect him to show some decorum and class. He knows the tyres are wrong for the sport yet he's continuing to push them as if they are the best thing since sliced bread. When other tyre suppliers got it wrong in the past I don't remember them spewing as much BS as Hembery.

Aside from that he's also arrogant, self opinionated, vain and unable to take criticism - that's from personal experience.

Go and tell the teams to demand for a change of tyres, not Hembrey...why would he change them if there are no demands for a change. If there is a concensus among the teams then he does not have a choice.

#46 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:36

What are you talking about? Off the top of my head we've definitely seen Vettel racing Raikkonen, Alonso racing Raikkonen, Vettel racing Hamilton, Vettel racing Button, Hamilton racing Button and 5 of those WDCs are fighting each other for the championship.

Actually, anyone is now capable of racing anyone...isn't that good? Isn't this what we all wanted before?

#47 byronbolscher

byronbolscher

• 242 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:37

Who says it's wrong for the sport? I've know a boatload of people that loves it, but just because a few drivers and a few fans complain, it's bad for the sport? There are people who disagree with you, you know.

#48 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:38

"My driver" hasn't been in the top 3 since 2006 and I've only had cause to complain this year. Don't presume to know everyone's reasons pal.

You missed the word "MAYBE" in my post, pal.

Edited by jbarokF1, 18 May 2012 - 20:38.

#49 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:42

I expect him to answer the charges of MS, SV, MW, JB, and the owner of Red Bull DM.

I expect him to speak directly and not use strawman arguments to address points that nobodies talking about.

I expect him to not say that there is no problem.....

There are 24 drivers and 12 teams on the grid.

#50 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:48

One of the downsides to living in a democracy, is that even the idiot is allowed to vote and voice his opinion. Racing and Pirelli F1 tyres, are an oxymoron. End of debate, because everything outside of the solitary fact is irrelevant.