Photo

TARF

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 266 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:16

The Piero Taruffi designed twin boomed record car failed to reach by half the expected bid. RM the auctioneers had a pre-sale estimate of $275000!
The Tarf has been exhibited for some years at the York Western Australia, Museum.
When I saw the car some years ago it had been restored by the museum. The engine was a FIAT V6 [the original was a sc Maserati]. Although it could be argued as to its similarity with the Dino Ferrari engine as claimed in the pre-sale story in the local WA paper.
The gearbox was from a Rover, the drive line seemed to be cobbled up from very agricultural plummer blocks and uni joints.

I wonder what the experts thought when viewing the Tarf at Monaco ? Little wonder the sale price was way down on the expected. Something like $130000. :cry:

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,253 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:20

It had the Maserati engine when Alan Hamilton had it...

I saw it there in Melbourne back in the mid-seventies. From what you describe, it's been almost destroyed!

#3 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 13:02

certainly the original motor was in it years ago in Victoria but the motor was worth more than the car and was pulled out and probably put into a replica somthing.
The enginless TARF was then sold for display purposes to Peter Briggs York Motor Museum.

It was decided years later to try to make a going car of it and I thought a ferrari dino V6 motor had been fitted
terry

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,253 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:26

I don't know what differences there might have been, but the Fiat V6 and the Dino V6 were often spoken of as the 'same engine' back when they were new.

It seems strange to put a vee engine into where an inline four had been, a supercharged Fiat 1800 twin cam or Alfa 1750 might have been more appropriate.