Photo

Rodríguez-Oliver at the Giro d'Italia

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 15:37

A Spanish bicyclist is going to win the 2012 Giro d'Italia, with only one stage to run tomorrow.

His name is Joaquin RODRIGUEZ-OLIVER.

:drunk:

He is wearing a pink shirt, it could have been in pale blue and orange Gulf colors or in Yardley colors... :p

Advertisement

#2 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,473 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 15:53

A Spanish bicyclist is going to win the 2012 Giro d'Italia, with only one stage to run tomorrow.

His name is Joaquin RODRIGUEZ-OLIVER.

:drunk:

He is wearing a pink shirt, it could have been in pale blue and orange Gulf colors or in Yardley colors... :p

Nice finding, but he's not going to win it  ;)

#3 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 20:16

No he probably isn't.

But nor are BRAMBILLA (Gianluca, that is), PETROV (Evgeni), FERRARI (Roberto) or DELAGE (Mickael). And definitely not BONO (Matteo) or the misspelt BRANDLE (Matthias)

#4 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:37

We'll see!

Vince H., VICTORIA, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA

#5 ChrisJson

ChrisJson

• 368 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:38

Vince, you´re biased!!

But I think you´re right.
Ryder will win, Thomas is too tired today.

Christer, living 200 m from the location
of Harry Snell´s cycle store, BORÅS, SWEDEN

#6 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 15:20

Ryder Hesjedal won the Giro!

Nice, he had been a mountain-biker, and this is good!

Rodríguez-Oliver finished second.

#7 icarus

icarus

• 28 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 20:00

Nice, he had been a mountain-biker, and this is good!

Rodríguez-Oliver finished second.

What a great race!,the first Canadian to win a grand tour,lets hope Bradley can win the Tour de France for England!What do you think?

#8 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,806 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 00:47

Nice, he had been a mountain-biker, and this is good

:clap:

#9 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:43

We watched the finish this morning. Great stuff. We had been following it while we were in Europe.

Ryder Hesjedal went to a school I taught at, though I didn't have him as a student. I remember him biking back then. His parents live about 5 km from us.

Nice day today here in Victoria, and lots of people out riding bikes!

Vince H.

#10 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:00

[quote name='Nanni Dietrich' date='May 27 2012, 15:20' post='5743671']

The 'Giro' won by a time trialling ex-mountain biking Canadian? :down: . R.I.P Alfredo Binda, Constante Giardengo, Fausto Coppi, Gino Bartali!.
[/quote

#11 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:42

The 'Giro' won by a time trialling ex-mountain biking Canadian? :down: .

Not just time trialling though, he was pretty strong on the climbs as well, as you might expect from an ex-mountain biker. You need to be an all rounder to win Grand Tours. He did excellently and all the vaunted Italian challengers were not up to snuff. A fitting winner.

And what exactly is wrong with Canadians? It is Jubilee year and we should be backing all of HM's loyal subjects! ;)

Edited by BRG, 28 May 2012 - 10:43.

#12 ChrisJson

ChrisJson

• 368 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:50

The 'Giro' won by a time trialling ex-mountain biking Canadian? :down: . R.I.P Alfredo Binda, Constante Giardengo, Fausto Coppi, Gino Bartali!.

More to come! Tony Martin winning Tour de France??

#13 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:04

[quote name='BRG' date='May 28 2012, 10:42' post='5746340'

And what exactly is wrong with Canadians? It is Jubilee year and we should be backing all of HM's loyal subjects! ;)
[/quote]
Nothing at all generally. I am a great admirer of Canadian stars such as Gilles Villeneuve, Hank Snow and Jack Scott.
But being an old traditionalist (not to mention old curmudgeon!) I prefer the Giro to be won by an Italian rider, or, if not, Swiss or Belgian.All credit to the winner though for doing what he had to do to win the hardest and best stage race of them all.

FORZA PANTANI!. :cool:

#14 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,576 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 13:44

More to come! Tony Martin winning Tour de France??

If you broke into his place, he'd shoot you. Is he out of prison yet?

#15 ChrisJson

ChrisJson

• 368 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 15:53

If you broke into his place, he'd shoot you. Is he out of prison yet?

According to BBC he was released in 2003.

I´m not so sure of his bike handling, I meant
the german Tony Martin.

#16 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,576 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 16:07

According to BBC he was released in 2003.

I´m not so sure of his bike handling, I meant
the german Tony Martin.

'My' Tony Martin probably wears a tag on his ankle, which would no doubt impede any cycling activity.

A bit OT, but most in the UK probably think of competitive cycling outside stadiums as a bloody nuisance, but the public enthusiasm for the sport has to be seen to be appreciated in countries like France, Spain, and Italy as well. We spent a few days in a mountainous part of Alsace last year, and later the Dolomites. What must have been many litres of paint had been used in painting messages of encouragement to leading riders on several of the steep climbs, they seemed to cover much of the road, this being for fairly minor local events too, and not major ones like le Tour.

#17 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 16:29

'My' Tony Martin probably wears a tag on his ankle, which would no doubt impede any cycling activity.

A bit OT, but most in the UK probably think of competitive cycling outside stadiums as a bloody nuisance, but the public enthusiasm for the sport has to be seen to be appreciated in countries like France, Spain, and Italy as well.

Best stay clear of Belgium on Tour Of Flanders day then. Wonderful if you enjoy true sport though. :up: :cool:

#18 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 19:06

A bit OT, but most in the UK probably think of competitive cycling outside stadiums as a bloody nuisance

I am a keen follower of road racing (cycling that is) but I think that competitive cycling outside stadiums may well be a bloody nuisance for me in a few weeks time. For two days, most of Surrey will be paralysed for the men's and women's road races, then I will actually be trapped in my house all day while the time trial is run through my home town of Molesey. No-one ever asked us if we minded.

After the test event last August, it took them 4 hours to re-open the roads through Molesey and Walton, even though the race had by then finished back in central London. Apparently it was 'to ensure our Safety' - presumably our Health was our own problem. I remonstrated with Surrey CC, but to no avail., they insist that they need to 'inspect the road after the event to ensure it is safe to re-open'. I guess all those bikes will have damaged the road far more than the regular traffic of buses, HGVs etc.

On the upside, at least Surrey CC have removed their thumbs from their a***s and filled in some of the potholes.

And.......back to the topic!

Bradley for the Tour?

Edited by BRG, 28 May 2012 - 19:07.

#19 Bernard

Bernard

• 240 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 22:37

I am a keen follower of road racing (cycling that is) but I think that competitive cycling outside stadiums may well be a bloody nuisance for me in a few weeks time. For two days, most of Surrey will be paralysed for the men's and women's road races, then I will actually be trapped in my house all day while the time trial is run through my home town of Molesey. No-one ever asked us if we minded.

After the test event last August, it took them 4 hours to re-open the roads through Molesey and Walton, even though the race had by then finished back in central London. Apparently it was 'to ensure our Safety' - presumably our Health was our own problem. I remonstrated with Surrey CC, but to no avail., they insist that they need to 'inspect the road after the event to ensure it is safe to re-open'. I guess all those bikes will have damaged the road far more than the regular traffic of buses, HGVs etc.

On the upside, at least Surrey CC have removed their thumbs from their a***s and filled in some of the potholes.

And.......back to the topic!

Bradley for the Tour?

Things not getting any better

http://www.cyclingwe...cket-sales.html

Advertisement

#20 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 13:57

Bradley Wiggins is going to win the most annoying and boring Tor de France of the last 20... 30... 100 years.
No fear, no battles, his best opponent was... his team mate Froome. I fell asleep during several stages.
Wiggins, Froome, Nibali... nothing to di with Contador if just with only one leg he could have been in the race...

Hope next year Chris Froom could move to Radioshack, or BMC, or Lotto. With a team at his disposal, and not obliged to support his captain, Froome could fight for the victory (Contador allowing)

#21 Alfie

Alfie

• 106 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 15:42

Bradley Wiggins is going to win the most annoying and boring Tor de France of the last 20... 30... 100 years.
No fear, no battles, his best opponent was... his team mate Froome. I fell asleep during several stages.
Wiggins, Froome, Nibali... nothing to di with Contador if just with only one leg he could have been in the race...

Hope next year Chris Froom could move to Radioshack, or BMC, or Lotto. With a team at his disposal, and not obliged to support his captain, Froome could fight for the victory (Contador allowing)

Mmmmm would that be a bitter and twisted comment from someone whose main hope got well and truly trashed? Sore losers are two a penny.

Shame really, to show such a lack of respect to a probable winner.

#22 hamsterace

hamsterace

• 100 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 16:27

If you fell asleep during several stages, and it was so boring - then might I ask why you continued watching? It's not compulsory you know....

#23 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,576 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 16:36

Mmmmm would that be a bitter and twisted comment from someone whose main hope got well and truly trashed? Sore losers are two a penny.

Shame really, to show such a lack of respect to a probable winner.

Saw a couple of friends today, their annual holiday is cycling around France following parts of the Tour. They had Union flags flying from their bikes, and loved the genuine friendliness and appreciation from the French, waving and cheering them on as they toured past, so perhaps as a nation, they're more sporting than they're sometimes given credit for.

#24 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 16:42

Why lack of respect, Alfie?
I admire Bradley Wiggins, he is a real winner and deserves the success (to be clear: he DID NOT steal anything).

But....
but...
but... I have some perplexity:
- how good is Froome and how many times his team manager FORCED him to stop his run and to assist BW?
- wasn't the Tour "created" just for Wiggins (better: for Team Sky), with almost 100 kms crono stages and a 60-kilometer "crono" as last stage! (nothing similar since Indurain times...)
Ridicolous.

You may say: who is the winner is always right.
Correct.

Nibali is not a winner, Cadel Evans (another good old mountain-biker! :up: ) was in his worst season. The others (Basso, Van den Broek, Valverde, Kloeden, etc.) are NOT top-level cyclists.

I think that in "normal" conditions, with Contador, Andy Schleck, Evans in good shape, and others, possibly Wiggins could have won the same. Yes, most likely he could finish second (behind Contador) or third (behind Contador and another).

Edited by Nanni Dietrich, 20 July 2012 - 16:44.

#25 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,027 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 16:46

Why lack of respect, Alfie?
I admire Bradley Wiggins, he is a real winner and deserves the success (to be clear: he DID NOT steal anything).

But....
but...
but... I have some perplexity:
- how good is Froome and how many times his team manager FORCED him to stop his run and to assist BW?
- wasn't the Tour "created" just for Wiggins (better: for Team Sky), with almost 100 kms crono stages and a 60-kilometer "crono" as last stage! (nothing similar since Indurain times...)
Ridicolous.

You may say: who is the winner is always right.
Correct.

Nibali is not a winner, Cadel Evans (another good old mountain-biker! :up: ) was in his worst season. The others (Basso, Van den Broek, Valverde, Kloeden, etc.) are NOT top-level cyclists.

I think that in "normal" conditions, with Contador, Andy Schleck, Evans in good shape, and others, possibly Wiggins could have won the same. Yes, most likely he could finish second (behind Contador) or third (behind Contador and another).

Contador + clenbuterol?

#26 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 18:29

It is hardly Wiggins fault if the others won't fight him. Evans never does attack of course. Schleck is now suspected of doping, but couldn't live with Wiggins anyway. Nibali didn't seem motivated.

Thank heavens for Tommy Voeckler, a proper fighter, and once again hero of the Tour and well deserved winner of the polka dot jersey. (Assuming they all make Paris of course!)

Good to see that President Hollande turned out today, despite the UK walkover.

#27 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,572 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 20:45

despite the UK walkover.

Just as well they're not using QI headlights dipping on to spots then...
(although we've had the tacks on the road, maybe to compare with the rocks that coincidently fell in front of Makinen in 67 and Waldegard in 79, both in British cars...)

#28 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,027 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 21:25

Just as well they're not using QI headlights dipping on to spots then...
(although we've had the tacks on the road, maybe to compare with the rocks that coincidently fell in front of Makinen in 67 and Waldegard in 79, both in British cars...)

... actually I don't think that the tacks were targeted at, or affected any UK riders; and the precedent for this form of audience participation pre-dates BMC motor-car rallying by many decades.

It has been a pretty good Tour for French riders- the best for some while. Voeckler would have won the "most aggressive rider" prizes over the last few years, if that category had not been dispensed with. His attitude reminds me of Jacky Durand but his ability to win overshadows even that gutsy hero.

Cav has matured over the last year; he has set his target on the Olympic Gold, lost a great deal of weight, become a super-domestique (in his world-Champion jersey!!!) who can (finally) get over the mountains and still be there to help out at the finish: his missile-attack today must surely be the most impressive stage win since the Tour was first recorded on film.

Wiggo (he has to be the nicest bloke one could hope to meet) has, after securing the GC jersey, pitched in as a team-player- dragging out the peloton at remarkable speed; as befits a World Champion pursuit rider.

Boring Tour? Having watched it for 40+ years, I don't think so. What I do really not understand is why this thread is not in the Paddock department; it has nothing whatsoever to do with motor-racing nostalgia. :well:

Edited by elansprint72, 20 July 2012 - 21:26.

#29 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,473 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 22:02

Boring Tour? Having watched it for 40+ years, I don't think so. What I do really not understand is why this thread is not in the Paddock department; it has nothing whatsoever to do with motor-racing nostalgia. :well:

Yep, but as long as it's here I like to add that today's stage was anything but boring!

There is a comparison possible with F1: the F1 championship is sometimes all but decided long before the end (like F1 last year) but still some individual GPs might be pretty fascinating.

#30 Jon Petersen

Jon Petersen

• 37 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 23:10

Yep, but as long as it's here I like to add that today's stage was anything but boring!

There is a comparison possible with F1: the F1 championship is sometimes all but decided long before the end (like F1 last year) but still some individual GPs might be pretty fascinating.

Yep - and also, next year gives great expectations.

Bradley, Froome, Contador, Andy, Cadel back on form, maybe Nibbali....and the young guys, Teejay and Rolland and Tibeau in the mountains. And Fuglsang!

Jon

#31 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,027 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:01

Tour de France in the Paddock Club forum

Edited by elansprint72, 21 July 2012 - 09:01.