• 3,038 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 16:47

Well done to Alonso, great job today.

Advertisement

#652 Blackmadonna

Blackmadonna

• 125 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 16:50

Oh, please... Stop mocking Button´s comments. It was after the second round in Malaysia and, if we are all honest, it looked like this was going to be the case. After two consecutive front rows by McLaren, who could suppose that things were going to change so quickly?

Why should we stop? Its funny- things can change quickly in F1, as in all other sports. Lets have a little laugh- things are always so dead serious around here, as if your life depended on it....

#653 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,800 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 16:51

the cars gotten alot better, i dont think it was as bad as they made out at the start, but its a solid contender for podium now. and thats quite a weapon when alonso is on form like he is now

#654 STIGG

STIGG

• 179 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 16:53

20 poles by Alonso and race result. Not sure why Hungary 2007 is considered as such as he finally started from 6th I think:

http://img402.images...sultschican.png

The definition of a pole used to produce those stats obviously doesn't take post qualifying penalties into account. Hungary 2007 is included where Alonso got a parking ticket for overstaying his welcome in the pit box but Monaco 2006 is omitted where Schumacher got his parking ticket at la Rascasse.

AFAIK, officially, in that chart Mon '06 should be in place of Hun '07.

EDIT: Forgot to write Monaco

Edited by STIGG, 07 July 2012 - 16:54.

#655 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 16:53

If it rains tomorrow i'm not sure he wlll finish the race.
Great job anyway despite the "political" Q3 access. :up:

#656 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,929 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:00

Translation: you hope he won't. Because if it was just "I'm not sure" then you could say the same about every one. Considering he starts from pole and the Ferrari's performance in the wet in Malaysia and here, he has probably the best chance to finish of all contenders. Sorry to mention reality to you.

[Vettel] also backed the decision to stop the session when it was clear the conditions were impossible to drive in.

"I think it was the right call to red-flag the session. Race direction did well. And then after that I think it was tougher for the people in the grandstands than for us because we are sitting in a dry garage. For them it's a shame but that's how it is. You can't manipulate the weather."

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/101011

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 07 July 2012 - 17:01.

#657 andresitoiniesta

andresitoiniesta

• 118 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:01

What do you mean with the word "political"?

#658 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:04

Translation: you hope he won't. Because if it was just "I'm not sure" then you could say the same about every one. Considering he starts from pole and the Ferrari's performance in the wet in Malaysia and here, he has probably the best chance to finish of all contenders. Sorry to mention reality to you.

He lost his front wing in FP. and went off today in Q2. Schumacher too was all over the place in heavy rain.

#659 Octavian

Octavian

• 703 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:07

What do you mean with the word "political"?

He means the fact that Alonso set his fastest time under yellows yet wasn't investigated.

Advertisement

#660 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:08

:rotfl:

It's been a long time I didn't see that much people furious :lol:

#661 andresitoiniesta

andresitoiniesta

• 118 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:09

Why should we stop? Its funny- things can change quickly in F1, as in all other sports. Lets have a little laugh- things are always so dead serious around here, as if your life depended on it....

Ok, ok... I´m only saying that anybody would have made the same comments as Button did given the circumstances...

#662 Blackmadonna

Blackmadonna

• 125 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:11

He means the fact that Alonso set his fastest time under yellows yet wasn't investigated.

I thought the fact was that he didn't?

#663 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:14

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#664 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:16

the red flag... :) It's not fair for PER KOB and ROS.

#665 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,929 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:23

And how do you know it wasn't investigated :rolleyes:

#666 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,929 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:27

I thought the fact was that he didn't?

The fact is that stewards look at the telemetry to determine if he slowed down. Sector time is irrelevant, as on a drying track you can slow down for the yellows and still set an overall fast sector time. It's not the first time this has occurred. Also in fact his sector under yellows was 0.006 slower than his fastest one, which on an improving track makes it obvious he slowed down, even without looking a the telemetry.
Posted Image

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 07 July 2012 - 17:27.

#667 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,929 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:29

the red flag... :) It's not fair for PER KOB and ROS.

Hamilton wanted it red flagged, so did Vettel. They work for Ferrari too?

#668 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:32

Hamilton didn't ask for the Red Flag! he told he almost crashed with a Sauber.

#669 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:33

Oh, thats very different then :rotfl:

#670 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:36

Oh, thats very different then :rotfl:

of course it is..  ;) He was ready to continue...

#671 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,066 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:39

Go home.

“It's too slippery out here guys. I nearly crashed into a Sauber just then because I didn't see it.”

Too slippery + I can't see = I want to continue racing :rotfl: you don't miss an opportunity to make a fool of yourself.

Edited by kosmos, 07 July 2012 - 17:40.

#672 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:50

Go home.

Too slippery + I can't see = I want to continue racing :rotfl: you don't miss an opportunity to make a fool of yourself.

tomorrow you will not make fun of us.. ;) until then, power to you.. :clap:

#673 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,929 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:53

tomorrow you will not make fun of us..;) until then, power to you.. :clap:

Of course, making fun of the losers would be bad form. :p :kiss:

#674 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,066 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:54

I'm not making fun of you, or anyone, I'm not like you, I'm not happy with others misfortunes and I don't go to other team/drivers topics to troll or say BS. It's that simple.

Constructive critics are appreciate, BS not.

#675 Skellen

Skellen

• 513 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:55

Us? In the name of what group do you speak? I can think of a few, and noone of them are particulary glorious.

#676 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,767 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:57

Well done to Alonso, great job today.

:up: Very classy.

#677 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:58

I'm not making fun of you, or anyone, I'm not like you, I'm not happy with others misfortunes and I don't go to other team/drivers topics to troll or say BS. It's that simple.

Constructive critics are appreciate, BS not.

sorry have you ever been in the Lewis's thread? sure your friends always talk sense over there.. :) :p
don't be serious and relax..

#678 Lone

Lone

• 659 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 18:16

I keep hearing that Alonso is lucky due to others drivers having DNF:s or that the circumstances are in his favour (weather etc.) but what other current driver is there capitalising on these events as successfully as Alonso?

For you who play golf and have heard of an all time great player named Lee Trevino he was once asked how it was possible that he was so lucky he answered: "the more I practice the more luck I have".

Edited by Lone, 07 July 2012 - 18:45.

#679 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,625 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 18:40

Alonso did really well today again, it all looked like a Webber pole, but Alonso just got something extra out of that Ferrari.

Advertisement

#680 Menace

Menace

• 12,364 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 18:43

Fantastic effort onec again by Alonso.

Truly impressed. :up:

#681 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 18:53

Oh, please... Stop mocking Button´s comments. It was after the second round in Malaysia and, if we are all honest, it looked like this was going to be the case. After two consecutive front rows by McLaren, who could suppose that things were going to change so quickly?

It's just funnier than the 0'6 secs. thing. And that even re-appears sometimes.

#682 bl-f1

bl-f1

• 1,087 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 19:34

Nothing political about Q3. His final third sector under yellow flags was 6/1000 secs. slower than the previous one. Perfectly legal.

#683 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 20:11

Posted Image

#684 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 20:40

I keep hearing that Alonso is lucky due to others drivers having DNF:s or that the circumstances are in his favour (weather etc.) but what other current driver is there capitalising on these events as successfully as Alonso?

For you who play golf and have heard of an all time great player named Lee Trevino he was once asked how it was possible that he was so lucky he answered: "the more I practice the more luck I have".

He and his team make less errors and manage their disadvantaged situations very well. Not to mention that Alonso is also quick. This is the reason behind the apparent magic and luck that we're witnessing. At this level, success has a lot to do with how much one maximises on opportunity. Greatness is about consistently doing so. Eventually you're noticed and eventually you end up in a competitive car. Eventually the championship will come.

#685 MP422

MP422

• 1,930 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 21:46

Nice performance by Alonso and Ferrari today, Congrats on your first pole of the season Alonso fans.

#686 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,929 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 21:50

Nice performance by Alonso and Ferrari today, Congrats on your first pole of the season Alonso fans.

Classy :up: Thanks, good luck to your guy tomorrow.

#687 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 22:07

That's not what he said.

#688 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,101 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 23:23

It seems to me that Alonso´s 2012 season is going to be similar to Senna´s 1993 season. Not the best car, not even the second one, but some excellent and unexpected wins and the feeling that with a better car would have been unstoppable. What do you think?

The feel of Alonso's 2012 reminds me very much of Ayrton's 1993 - it is a feeling of mastery that we have rarely seen by any other driver before.

Let us hope, though, that Fernando will be better rewarded for his year of excellence than Ayrton - with the WDC, that is. And let us hope that there never will be another 1994 ever.

#689 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,929 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:21

That's not what he said.

He meaning Hamilton or Vettel? For Hamilton, just read on in the thread. For Vettel,

"I think it was the right call to red-flag the session. Race direction did well. And then after that I think it was tougher for the people in the grandstands than for us because we are sitting in a dry garage. For them it's a shame but that's how it is. You can't manipulate the weather."

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/101011

#690 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,420 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:30

The feel of Alonso's 2012 reminds me very much of Ayrton's 1993 - it is a feeling of mastery that we have rarely seen by any other driver before.

Let us hope, though, that Fernando will be better rewarded for his year of excellence than Ayrton - with the WDC, that is. And let us hope that there never will be another 1994 ever.

I'd argue is more like Schumacher in 1996 or 1997 or even 1998 seasons, very gifted performances. Alonso is in that class for sure.

#691 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:59

I'd argue is more like Schumacher in 1996 or 1997 or even 1998 seasons, very gifted performances. Alonso is in that class for sure.

:up:
As a all time ferrari fan. Michael will always be credited for help making ferrari a winning team, a team other drivers like Kimi--Alonso wanted to go too. And as much as I didn't like the way Kimi left. Alonso I'm glad is at ferrari with Michael having retired/come back and doing his mercedes thing. Alonso is much more likeable away from Flavio/Renault/pat symonds-crash a car to make the other win atmosphere. Ferrari has rubbed off Alonso-more mature, , changed Michael as well, Italy and that ferrari passion, its gets to you the longer you drive for them, although kimi will always be Kimi.

it's good to see Alonso and M Schumacher on podiums and press conferences recently. And that Schumacher is performing to expectations at his age is uncomparable. It's good for the sport to have big names in the mix again, this season will in the end go down as another memorable classic, one of those seasons that we won't appreciate until it's over and years gone, but I'm appreciating every single lap because I know the years fly by, Senna's gone, Schumacher retired, came back and will someday leave for good. Alonso one day will retire like MS and the life circle never ends. Enjoy these times. A ancient chineese proverb "May you live in interesting times."

:smoking:
Alonso is following Schumacher's old teams, first benetton-renault, now ferrari. He just needs to be a mercedes driver and work with brawn and the mirror image will be complete. :smoking: :smoking: :smoking:Of cource the mclaren thing was the odd season out.

Edited by SeanValen, 08 July 2012 - 04:29.

#692 Starlight

Starlight

• 183 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:40

True this! I always have believed that you always make your own luck in whatever you do! It's just that in this case, it's always been FA. Good for him that he realises it! It also boils down to his work ethic and never-give-up attitude. Hope his 'luck' continues for a long time to come.

#693 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,066 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:29

Posted Image

"magic on the water - epic pole of Alonso"

Let's hope for a nice race day, safety for everyone and win for Alonso or at least a podium :)

#694 notguilty56

notguilty56

• 1,733 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:18

The banner on the bottom right corner: Sex is life! :lol:

Edited by notguilty56, 08 July 2012 - 06:19.

#695 moonwolf

moonwolf

• 9 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:49

Best driver?

Gary Anderson: "Fernando Alonso. This year has confirmed his talent at being able to grab a situation that would be out of most drivers' reach and bring home a result that the car does not deserve."

Ben Edwards: "Alonso. Both of his wins in Malaysia and Valencia have depended on talent, skill, judgement and self-discipline. Brilliant."

James Allen: "No doubt about this one. It has to be Alonso. He's leading the championship in a car that has no right to be there. It's getting better, but at the start of the year no-one would have given you tuppence for his chances of leading at this stage. He's really raised his game this year."

Jake Humphrey: "No question. Alonso. The only thing I'm unsure about with Fernando is whether he's the best currently, or the best ever. He is aggressive, smart, brave and incredibly consistent. The other 23 on the grid could all learn something from him."

Jennie Gow: "I never expected to say this but again, Fernando Alonso. I thought his drive in Malaysia (where he won) was a lot to do with luck and good fortune but actually, having seen him win in Valencia he is the most skilful driver I think I have ever seen with my own eyes on a track."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/18608243

Edited by moonwolf, 08 July 2012 - 07:08.

#696 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,652 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:18

Posted Image

Let's hope for a nice race day, safety for everyone and win for Alonso or at least a podium :)

I really want another win but with these conditions and everything you have to lower you're expectations so a podium would be fine but only if a win is out the question which hopefully we can be in contention for the whole race wet or dry. Forza Alonso!

#697 zk12

zk12

• 319 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:24

I think that the question is: "Will there be a race at all?"

#698 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,652 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:31

I think that the question is: "Will there be a race at all?"

Yes I think so, so much rain has fallen the clouds might be low on fuel now.

#699 zk12

zk12

• 319 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:37

Yes I think so, so much rain has fallen the clouds might be low on fuel now.

right now (gp3 race) the weather is okay. but till 2 pm. the forecast is not that good.

Advertisement

#700 aray

aray

• 2,708 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:05

i fear alonso will have ill luck this time....he is due a DNF considering the machine he has had in this season...:(

i hope i am wrong...:well: