• 1,556 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:17

Alonso got a haircut? He looks cool, like in 2009. :cool:

This thread is becoming a joke.

#1253 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,539 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:18

Avanti Fer avanti! What a drive! It is time to change a pole in a victory again!

Niki Lauda on Fernando after qualifying on RTL - "he's the man to beat"... "clever, fast and did everything right"!

#1254 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,909 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:21

Alonso delivers again, such a consistent performer. When did he get with his new girl? His ex was quite nice looking.

#1255 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:23

It's only love :smoking:

#1256 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,539 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:30

Maybe I am wrong but has he always been so good in rain? I do not remember all his wet races but he made quite big mistakes in wet in the past (Fuji 2007, Spa 2010). I think I will start loving wet...

#1257 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:31

The bigger the hate, the better he drives.

#1258 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:32

Lighten up, friend. :)

#1259 zk12

zk12

• 319 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:32

Maybe I am wrong but has he always been so good in rain?

yes he was always good in rain.
or better say awesome.

I do not remember all his wet races but he made quite big mistakes in wet in the past (Fuji 2007, Spa 2010). I think I will start loving wet...

this is not many mistakes.

Edited by zk12, 21 July 2012 - 13:39.

Advertisement

#1260 Skellen

Skellen

• 513 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:35

Maybe I am wrong but has he always been so good in rain? I do not remember all his wet races but he made quite big mistakes in wet in the past (Fuji 2007, Spa 2010). I think I will start loving wet...

In Spa his car was trashed after some old bloke rammed him at the last turn. In Fuji, I honestly dont remember, but wasnt he hit by Vettel before the crash?
And remember the 2010 Korean GP with this outstanding performance in the wet, not to mention the Hungaoring '06.

#1261 mainevent

mainevent

• 68 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:38

Always has been. Often had bad luck in the wet though, but always blindingly fast. Just watch his first lap at hungary 2006 on youtube.

#1262 zk12

zk12

• 319 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:38

In Spa his car was trashed after some old bloke rammed him at the last turn. In Fuji, I honestly dont remember, but wasnt he hit by Vettel before the crash?
And remember the 2010 Korean GP with this outstanding performance in the wet, not to mention the Hungaoring '06.

in fuji 2007 he gave everything he got (coz he wanted to vatch and overtake ham) and hit some aquaplaning.

#1263 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,539 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:39

Ok so not so many but a few that is the reason I disliked wet races. Let´s hope for a good race tomorrow. The speed should be there...

Edited by jstrains, 21 July 2012 - 13:42.

#1264 zk12

zk12

• 319 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:40

Ok so not so many but a few that is the reason I disliked wet races. Let´s hope for a good race tomorrow

not more than anybody else in the field. ;)
so everybody has to fear to some amount rain.

#1265 HPT

HPT

• 1,222 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:41

To be fair, he drove with possibly a damaged car in Fuji 2007 (Vettel hit him) and also in Spa 2010 (Barrichello rear-ended him). We don't really know the extent of the damage so it could have been a factor.

#1266 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:41

:clap: :clap: :clap: Good job Fernando! You are MAGIC!!!! Lets go for win tomorrow!!!!!

#1267 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:42

Alonso will be considered bad always at rain in this forum because it only matter for some people here what happened in 2 or 3 races where he had accidents. And when he does good (today, hungary 2006, etc) it's because of the car or the tires. :/

So I'll keep on considering Alonso as a very good driver on wet conditions no matter what unfair people say.

Edited by Creepy, 21 July 2012 - 13:43.

#1268 discover23

discover23

• 4,397 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:47

Nurburgring 07, Alonso wins - wet race.
BrAsil 08 , Alonso comes in second to Massa - wet race
Everyone knows about hungary 06.

#1269 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,408 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:51

Alonso will be considered bad always at rain in this forum because it only matter for some people here what happened in 2 or 3 races where he had accidents. And when he does good (today, hungary 2006, etc) it's because of the car or the tires. :/

So I'll keep on considering Alonso as a very good driver on wet conditions no matter what unfair people say.

Exactly, when other drivers do it, they are gods, when Alonso does it, he is lucky or he has the best car, there are people in this forum than can't be fair, some overdo it with the hate and nonsense.

Anyway, the race it's tomorrow and that's the important thing, Fernando is driving very good and the car is good too but it's not gonna be easy and there is a lot of questions marks with the tyres.

#1270 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:56

Posted Image

THE POLEMAN! :up:

#1271 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,539 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:59

Hey I did not question his driving abilities, I adore him both when winning and making mistakes, I just wanted to know how he was in the past wet races... :wave:

Headlines all around the world: The King of rain, Alonso the King of Saturday rain, Rain Man Alonso, etc.
Posted Image

Edited by jstrains, 21 July 2012 - 14:06.

#1272 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 14:05

Well, you know in this forum Alonso is not a good driver at all. He is just very lucky. Remember?  ;)

#1273 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,539 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 14:08

Here from another angle (source Ferdo's Facebook)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by jstrains, 21 July 2012 - 14:11.

#1274 BruisedLee

BruisedLee

• 100 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 14:09

http://www.ferrari.c...qualifying.aspx

GP after GP, Alonso proves wrong his critics (not good in wet, not the fastest, difficult to work with, etc.).

Interesting race tomorrow with Vettel right beside. Let's see what happens.

#1275 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 14:13

Always has been. Often had bad luck in the wet though, but always blindingly fast. Just watch his first lap at hungary 2006 on youtube.

Michelins were good... did you watch the 2006 season and races like China 2006? He lost that one because of a stupid mistake(by the team) during his pit stop when they changed only his front tyres.

#1276 steferrari

steferrari

• 294 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 14:14

Grande Fer ! Now let's hope for a win tomorrow ! Posted Image

#1277 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,688 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 14:15

Alonso + Ferrari + Wet = Awesome sauce!!

Fantastic pole again!! :up:

#1278 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,133 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 14:15

Alonso :up: :up: :up: Great lap.

#1279 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,539 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 14:33

I have just watched Hungary 2006 start, fantastic!

:clap:

Advertisement

#1280 Arry2k

Arry2k

• 363 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 15:06

Great pole today by Fer. But there is a long way to go tomorrow.

Here's hoping!!

#1281 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 15:29

Alonso was awesome as always since the season started. If it rains tomorrow, the race is for him to lose, he had big pace advatage, and was fastest everytime he went through the line in multiple sessions this weekend.

If it´s dry, he´ll have to fight harder for it.

Any forecast? I´m hoping for a wet race to get the silly DRS zone out of the way.

#1282 zk12

zk12

• 319 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 15:30

Alonso was awesome as always since the season started. If it rains tomorrow, the race is for him to lose, he had big pace advatage, and was fastest everytime he went through the line in multiple sessions this weekend.

Any forecast? I´m hoping for a wet race to get the silly DRS zone out of the way.

it should be dry.

#1283 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 15:35

it should be dry.

Alonso better pull a second away before lap 3, which will be hard for him as RB guys are usually mega in early face. Yeah, RB are slow in straight line, but with such a benefitial DRS zone, they could still be a pain.

#1284 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,135 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 15:39

I have the same feeling. But, as it has been said, no rain is expected for tomorrow - the good thing is that we will see an interesting strategic fight, without the "lucky guess" factor that a changing weather usually brings along.

#1285 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 689 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 15:41

[AntiAlonsoMode]

Rain man is the devil in the illuminati occult!

[/AntiAlonsoMode]

We'll have a great turn 1 battle to watch, fellas! :)

#1286 Stuko

Stuko

• 565 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 15:43

Congrats Fer and congrats Fer fans :up: :up: :up:

#1287 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,654 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 15:45

Another great job by Alonso. Even if Ferrari was fastest in full wet conditions, Alonso did great job passing Q2 (unlike Massa).

#1288 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 15:49

the good thing is that we will see an interesting strategic fight, without the "lucky guess" factor that a changing weather usually brings along.

I don´t think like that... strategy will be still crucial, always is after wet Q3. There´ll be people starting on options, people starting on primes. Some will get it right, some will not. There´s huge potential progress/drifting backwards from the right call, and there hasn´t been nearly any dry running. Remember Monaco? Vettel was nowhere, went for a desperate move, and had it been a normal circuit with passing opportunities he could have won.

I still feel it´ll be a bit of a gamble.

#1289 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,135 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 16:04

I don´t think like that... strategy will be still crucial, always is after wet Q3. There´ll be people starting on options, people starting on primes. Some will get it right, some will not. There´s huge potential progress/drifting backwards from the right call, and there hasn´t been nearly any dry running. Remember Monaco? Vettel was nowhere, went for a desperate move, and had it been a normal circuit with passing opportunities he could have won.

I still feel it´ll be a bit of a gamble.

It will be a gamble, but the circumstances will remain stable, so it will just be about outsmarting your competitors rather than guessing the weather conditions right.

#1290 Stuko

Stuko

• 565 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 16:52

...not bad for a non rainmaster driver . ;)

Enjoy.

It´s incredible

Edited by Stuko, 21 July 2012 - 16:53.

#1291 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 16:57

...not bad for a non rainmaster driver .;)

Enjoy.

It´s incredible

What... the... :rotfl: :rotfl:

#1292 topical

topical

• 2,300 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 16:57

It is not going to rain tomorrow. I am in Germany and the weather has turned better and will stay that way for the next few days. It will be a dry race.

#1293 northanmonkee

northanmonkee

• 115 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 17:07

im a big lewis fan but have to say very impressed by alonso this season so far .
he deserves to be leading at this stage.
head and shoulders above the rest so far .

#1294 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,688 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 17:23

im a big lewis fan but have to say very impressed by alonso this season so far .
he deserves to be leading at this stage.
head and shoulders above the rest so far .

Nice words :up: you're driver ain't done too bad either  ;)

#1295 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 18:06

From Alonso's twitter

Posted Image

"Vettel zweiter, Alonso pole"

:lol:

#1296 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 18:31

In the noisiest of sports has come the quietest of coronations. It has been as silent as a nod of assent, a tap on the nose and a knowing half-smile. Formula One has staged just eight of its 20 races this season but in the paddock, the champion driver has already been acclaimed; he is Fernando Alonso.

Alonso leads the drivers' championship going into the British Grand Prix this weekend, a race he won last year in the only success of a disappointing Ferrari campaign. Few people might have expected the Spanish driver to be leading the standings by this stage. At the start of the season the Ferrari car was so bad that it looked ready to fall apart, as cars used to do before bewildered circus clowns. The men from Maranello hung their heads in shame.

Alonso, though, managed to overcome the problems. In the first race, in Australia, he did well to qualify 12th before manhandling his jalopy into fifth place. In the next, in Malaysia, he qualified eighth and somehow won the thing.

In an admittedly improved car, he finished ninth, seventh, second, third, fifth and first again in subsequent races. So he is the only driver to have won more than once and the only one to have scored in every round, which is why he leads the world championship table by 20 points.

Alonso has retired only once in the past 33 races and has been in the points for all bar that race since the Belgium Grand Prix in 2010. So good has he been that the debate has been focusing on how he measures against the best drivers in history rather than how good his performances have been this season.

"He is simply one of the all-time greats," Ross Brawn said on Friday, as the Mercededes team principal sheltered under a vast umbrella at Silverstone. "He wins races he shouldn't win, races that he's got no right to win. And that's the mark of a great driver. He's not had a great car this year but he's on top of the championship. He has managed to get there because of what he is, the driver he is."

And this, remember, is a championship that has become a lottery. In order to make things more interesting than last season, which was largely a celebration of Red Bull and Sebastian Vettel, they have slowed down the cars by taking away their downforce and giving them rubbish rubber instead of real tyres. If they slow it down much more Marussia, Caterham and HRT will come into the reckoning. Many – including Alonso himself – have complained.

But it is a lottery in which the Spaniard always seems to be clutching a significant ticket. When the Red Bull team principal Christian Horner was asked who would pose the major threat to his team this season he said, diplomatically, that there were several drivers. But when pressed to pick out a single name he shrugged, smiled slowly and said: "The driver, obviously, is Alonso."

With rain expected at Silverstone this weekend, the former world champion Heikki Kovalainen summed it up as well as anyone when he said: "Whatever the track, whatever the conditions, there is always one common denominator: Fernando is always near the front."

It is tempting – and many have been tempted – to view Lewis Hamilton as at least Alonso's equal. After all, in Hamilton's thrilling rookie season of 2007, he unsettled Alonso with his aggressive speed. Alonso, the world champion of the previous two years, did not expect such an exuberant challenge.

But we still await Hamilton's development from being brilliantly fast, and an exemplar of overtaking, into a fully rounded driver. Alonso, surely, would not have got himself into that terminal tangle with Pastor Maldonado in Valencia.

This is not to say that Alonso will win the championship. No one would bet against Vettel making it a hat-trick of titles, especially while the old wizard Adrian Newey remains at Milton Keynes.

Vettel, too, will surely go down as one of the all-time great champions, may even surpass Alonso. And Silverstone's fast corners could well be the setting for the McLarens, with Hamilton and Jenson Button, to make a vivid statement.

But whatever happens on Sunday, and whoever sits at the top of the world championship after the final race in Brazil at the end of November, a judgment has already been made by the paddock in favour of the man from Oviedo.

http://www.guardian....n?newsfeed=true

#1297 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 18:37

http://www.guardian....n?newsfeed=true

It is tempting – and many have been tempted – to view Lewis Hamilton as at least Alonso's equal. After all, in Hamilton's thrilling rookie season of 2007, he unsettled Alonso with his aggressive speed. Alonso, the world champion of the previous two years, did not expect such an exuberant challenge.

But we still await Hamilton's development from being brilliantly fast, and an exemplar of overtaking, into a fully rounded driver.
Alonso, surely, would not have got himself into that terminal tangle with Pastor Maldonado in Valencia.

This is not to say that Alonso will win the championship. No one would bet against Vettel making it a hat-trick of titles, especially while the old wizard Adrian Newey remains at Milton Keynes.

Vettel, too, will surely go down as one of the all-time great champions, may even surpass Alonso.
And Silverstone's fast corners could well be the setting for the McLarens, with Hamilton and Jenson Button, to make a vivid statement.

But whatever happens on Sunday, and whoever sits at the top of the world championship after the final race in Brazil at the end of November, a judgment has already been made by the paddock in favour of the man from Oviedo.

__

This is a very clever piece.. He can not be wrong, and has covered all the angles. brilliant. :up:

Edited by revlec, 21 July 2012 - 18:38.

#1298 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 19:04

Alonso, surely, would not have got himself into that terminal tangle with Pastor Maldonado in Valencia.

This is a very clever piece.. He can not be wrong, and has covered all the angles. brilliant. :up:

He is wrong, especially in this piece. Everyone´s equally exposed to others mistakes. I don´t think Alonso would have been able to ghost his car to avoid a maniac rejoining in a poor way. :rolleyes:

He´s also wrong in Lewis still not being "all around". His driving recently has been as flawless as any other driver around: fast, and mistake-free. He´s just being unlucky.

No doubt Alonso is the man of the season so far, he´s doing the best job, but both Vettel and Lewis have all it´s needed to match him. There are 3 top men in F1 right now, and they´re just as good as each other.

#1299 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,539 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 19:04

A very nice article :up:

Advertisement

#1300 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,137 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 19:23

He is wrong, especially in this piece. Everyone´s equally exposed to others mistakes. I don´t think Alonso would have been able to ghost his car to avoid a maniac rejoining in a poor way. :rolleyes:

No need to ghost he car, just to understand that with the tyre deg it would be impossible to hold him, and let him go.