Photo

Fernando Alonso - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4015 replies to this topic

#1401 meddo

meddo

• 1,679 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 17:47

Congratulations to the new World Champion. Simply the best driver out there. Not the fastest, but surely the smartest driver by far. He kept at bay two world champions with such ease, like he was playing with them. Fernando, I used to hate your guts, but I must bow to your genius.

Advertisement

#1402 zk12

zk12

• 319 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 17:48

Congratulations to the new World Champion. Simply the best driver out there. Not the fastest, but surely the smartest driver by far. He kept at bay two world champions with such ease, like he was playing with them. Fernando, I used to hate your guts, but I must bow to your genius.

yep, this was awesome, have you seen the radio transmission of alonso on lap 62?

#1403 fdspd

fdspd

• 100 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 17:48

Alonso's demonstrating what many of his fans were screaming last year - that he only needs a competitive car and not necessarily the fastest one to win and finish high consistently. Great job from Ferrari too in turning around the F2012 into a car with no major weakness. It was great to see JB's Mclaren with its DRS open was only a few kilometers/hr faster than the F2012 and there was nothing he could do in what many thought was an overpowered DRS zone.

#1404 zk12

zk12

• 319 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 17:51

Alonso's demonstrating what many of his fans were screaming last year - that he only needs a competitive car and not necessarily the fastest one to win and finish high consistently. Great job from Ferrari too in turning around the F2012 into a car with no major weakness. It was great to see JB's Mclaren with its DRS open was only a few kilometers/hr faster than the F2012 and there was nothing he could do in what many thought was an overpowered DRS zone.

he was about 15 km/h faster at the end. the problem was he always was about 0.7-0.9 behind alonso before dts detection zone and that was to far back. with drs you can gain on such a straight about 0.3-0.4 sec but not more.

#1405 meddo

meddo

• 1,679 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 17:51

yep, this was awesome, have you seen the radio transmission of alonso on lap 62?

Not just that, he was calming Stella down the whole race, even when he had Cry Baby behind him by 0,9 secs.

#1406 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:18

the only thing that i am missing, is alonso acting on the car again after a win, as he did in his early years.

Some time ago I read in a Spanish interview that Alonso was asked why he always does the "chicken dance" hands gesture every time he wins. He responded that when he was a kid there was this children show in which the main character did this gesture. So he always used to say hello to his grandmother in this manner. When Alonso entered F1 in 2001, his grandmother, a big fan of racing and his, asked him that when he wins to do that gesture so she knows he is saying hello to her. This is why Alonso always does this hand gesture when winning. His grandmoher suffered from cancer and sadly passed away in 2009.

#1407 zk12

zk12

• 319 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:24

Some time ago I read in a Spanish interview that Alonso was asked why he always does the "chicken dance" hands gesture every time he wins. He responded that when he was a kid there was this children show in which the main character did this gesture. So he always used to say hello to his grandmother in this manner. When Alonso entered F1 in 2001, his grandmother, a big fan of racing and his, asked him that when he wins to do that gesture so she knows he is saying hello to her. This is why Alonso always does this hand gesture when winning. His grandmoher suffered from cancer and sadly passed away in 2009.

nice story, didnt know it :up:
but what i ask myself is why isnt alonso doing anymore things like we see in this video about 1:58 min.

#1408 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:31

Very good and deserved win today. Button and Vettel had a similar pace but still Alonso could defend himself from them, he worked hard. Nice win.

#1409 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:47

Fernando via his Facebook - Radio transmission on lap 62 with 1 second advantage to Button. "I know is not easy, but stay calm. Everything is okay here"

Posted Image

There was also a radio message earlier in the race where he was telling stella not to worry.

#1410 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:51

nice story, didnt know it :up:
but what i ask myself is why isnt alonso doing anymore things like we see in this video about 1:58 min.

I guess he ran out of gestures to do after so many wins :lol:

Anyway, now he does some funny team-radios :rotfl:

#1411 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:52

Fernando, congratulations on another SWEET AND ENTHRALLING VICTORY! :love: :cool: For your fans who continued to believe in you and Ferrari, even when things were their bleakest this season, your, and the Team's, current form is just reward! :up: :up:

Long way to go in the championships, but we're halfway home, now, and you have put yourself and Ferrari in a good position to claim both. WELL DONE...and thanks!! :clap: :clap:

Edited by PoleMan, 22 July 2012 - 18:54.

#1412 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,909 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 19:04

Give him a sniff of victory and he'll take it. Brilliant drive by Alonso today, he was pretty damn flawless and a 44 point gap to Seb who I see as much more of a threat to him than Webber is quite formidable with 10 races remaining.

#1413 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,474 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 19:17

This is from the interview of Andrea Stella on the Italian television:

Interviewer: How did you feel when HAM unlapped himself. Were you worried?
Andrea Stella: To be honest i was not. We were not pushing and we knew we could have gone faster(if necessary) with Fernando. HAM and ALO have a great relationship recently so we were confident nothing strange could have happened.

_
Very mature and intelligent drive today. Looking at Massa's times in LT, Ferrari is may be the best car now. MAS was pulling away from HAM with the same tyres although they were a couple of laps younger. If the other teams don't react in the next races, the WDC will be over and it will not a crime if ALO wins it this year. It will deserve it. But i want to think it's not over yet. :up:

This is the type of thing that I wish engineers keep to themselves. Now the whole world knows instead of just being coy with the info.

Anyway, for me it was quite clear that Alonso was pacing himself.

Marvellous performance. He has well and truly laid the pimp hand down on this championship.

#1414 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 19:31

team radio - Alonso - after win

#1415 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 3,558 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 19:34

The Alonso/Ferrari combination was awesome to watch all through the weekend. I used to hate him, but he's won a lot of my respect this year. Fair play to him for a great drive--enjoy the victory, guys. :up:

#1416 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,202 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 19:41

I know it is very tempting to talk about who is better and who not. but for what reason ever, it is impossible to do it.
for us and many experts alonso is an all time great and the best in the field.
for ms fans ms is the ultimate pinacle of a racing driver.
for vettel fans vettel is even more superb than his stats.
for ham fans ham is even more superbe tahn the other three.
and for kimi fans kimi is not only better than all the other drivers he is also much cooler.

This post is possible representing more truth than any other post that has ever been posted here...

#1417 rt99

rt99

• 180 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 19:44

The Alonso/Ferrari combination was awesome to watch all through the weekend. I used to hate him, but he's won a lot of my respect this year. Fair play to him for a great drive--enjoy the victory, guys. :up:

Do the posters who said they used to hate him, know him personally? Just wondering as he's always been known as a nice guy by everyone involved with him.

#1418 rt99

rt99

• 180 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 19:50

What Alonso is doing is reminding me of Schu in 1998 season. Drving the wheels off of the car that is not the quickest...

No comparison :lol: I take it you missed Eddie Irvine's 8 podiums (one less than the 2nd McLaren driver) and 3 4th places in that car. Never mind, you can always buy the DVDs.

This is a vastly superior performance against better cars and drivers, not a bunch of Number 2s

Edited by rt99, 22 July 2012 - 19:52.

#1419 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 19:50

Fernando dipped down to the pit wall as the flag waved. Three wins – and this one had come after a clear straight shoot-out with Red Bull and McLaren. He’d taken the pole and he’d won the race. Thankyou. Thankyou.

World Class fernando :up:

Advertisement

#1420 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 19:52

Some stats race by race in 2012, just for fun

12 to 5, gains 7
9 to 1, gains 8
9 to 9, gains 0
9 to 7, gains 2
3 to 2, gains 1
6 to 3, gains 3
3 to 5, loses 2
11 to 1, gains 10
1 to 2, loses 1
1 to 1, gains 0

Total positions gained: 31
Total positions lost: 3

Since Barcelona, he's been on fire:
2, 3, 5, 1, 2, 1

Shame about strategy in Canada really, it could've been 6 podiums in a row.

#1421 zk12

zk12

• 319 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 19:52

I guess he ran out of gestures to do after so many wins :lol:

Anyway, now he does some funny team-radios :rotfl:

i hope he can find some more gestures, because that was something that also made him special.
i loved the bear gesture and the bow and arrow thing was also great.

#1422 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,539 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 20:04

BBC Interviews Alonso - Domenicalli

#1423 zk12

zk12

• 319 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 20:07

peter windsor about the race.
he also pays tribute to alonso by writing this:

Fernando, the great Manager of Races, had to become a Racing Driver, pure and simple. Pit stop strategies had been played out. Radio messages from the pit wall about KERS or diff settings became superfluous, mere smokescreens. Somewhere, somehow, he needed to dig deep, to find an advantage.

It came on the only sections of Hockenheim worthy of the description “decent corners”: the last two right-handers of the lap and then Turn One – the quick right-hander followed by a shortish straight. If Fernando could be perfect here for lap after closing lap then maybe he could generate enough space to protect himself from DRS detection out of the hairpin. The McLaren would be better in and out of the slow stuff on the other parts of the lap; no question about that. The Ferrari is still no MP4-27 or RB7 – not when it comes to grip vs balance vs traction. On the quicker corners, though, Fernando could impart some magic.

And so it began.
Avoid the mirrors out of the second hairpin and into the third one. Use all the road and perhaps a fraction more. And then settle into those last two right-handers. Run a little wide in the middle if necessary. Fernando could manipulate the weight transfer, there, between the two corners, with a subtle nudge to create torque twist. Minimise load for a clean run out of the last corner. Into Turn One: again create that weight shift with an early turn-in, thus minimizing the amount of steering required mid-corner and leaving him free to adjust brake and throttle according to bumps, or the exit kerbs. Behind, Jenson would be doing what he always does superbly well – turning in late, line-locking the McLaren into a soft apex/early power application zone, hitting a high minimum speed – but then paying a penalty with more load on exit. The Ferrari, “lighter” from mid-corner to exit, would gain advantage as Fernando straightened out. In freeze-frame it was all too clear: Fernando was turning-in to One perhaps three kerb stripes earlier than Jenson’s McLaren.

Fernando’s replication was thereafter breathtaking. Small errors were adjusted with such delicacy that they became “events” rather than mistakes; they made no dents in the sector times. He looked from the outside to be “silky-smooth”; his combined hand- and footwork made it so – but there was no excess there, no edge. All of the movement was exactly apportioned; all of it happened in anticipation of what would next unfold. To the outside world, the Ferrari was a slot car.

He would try to be 0.6 – 0.7sec ahead before that DRS detection point. He could feel the gap in his bones. And there was traffic! There were the red cars – the Marussias – and then some others. Wait, wait, DRS them – and then time the pass in an attempt to delay Jenson. Not easy, but another lap gone.

Jenson was often there as they hit the brakes. Fernando was obliged to run centre-right into the second hairpin. Ease out of the brakes, apply initial steering, delay slightly, feel the grip, apply the substance of the lock – then accelerate hard but without jink. No way Jenson would try him out on the outside into the next right. No-one tries that outside stuff with Fernando…

He held that gap for two laps and then three – for three and then five. And then an unexpected thing happened. More and more, as the race wound down, Fernando could pick up a couple of tenths through those last three corners. Jenson’s tyres were beginning to fade, just as Lewis’s had in Valencia. Seb Vettel began to distract Jenson. Fernando could once again breathe.

Fernando dipped down to the pit wall as the flag waved. Three wins – and this one had come after a clear straight shoot-out with Red Bull and McLaren. He’d taken the pole and he’d won the race. Thankyou. Thankyou.

a very good observation. i was pleased to read it.

does anyone know who this windsor is, is he always this good?

Edited by zk12, 22 July 2012 - 20:14.

#1424 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,459 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 20:10

BBC Interviews Alonso - Domenicalli

:lol:

Stefano "...it was not really a car at the beginning of the season!!!"

#1425 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 20:19

Yes he is!

He also make the "flying lap"....always good stuff! And he is very kindly on twitter, always wishing me a nice weekend and answering all my questions!

Great person! :up:

#1426 zeph

zeph

• 767 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 20:24

peter windsor about the race.
he also pays tribute to alonso by writing this:

a very good observation. i was pleased to read it.

HE was always a reporter, and I think he was one of the guys behind USF1 as well.

#1427 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,137 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 20:26

HE was always a reporter, and I think he was one of the guys behind USF1 as well.

Williams team manager 1991 too

#1428 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,539 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 20:34

It is nice to see that Fernando did not throw the mascot he got from the marshalls in Valencia

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by jstrains, 22 July 2012 - 20:36.

#1429 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 20:36

What can one say?

Kudos to Alonso, great qualifying great race great driver. :up:

I hope he wins the title this year.

#1430 zk12

zk12

• 319 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 20:38

thanks guys
i found him on wiki

what does that mean, can someone explain this to me, what wanted windsor to say with it:

Fernando could manipulate the weight transfer, there, between the two corners, with a subtle nudge to create torque twist. Minimise load for a clean run out of the last corner. Into Turn One: again create that weight shift with an early turn-in, thus minimizing the amount of steering required mid-corner and leaving him free to adjust brake and throttle according to bumps, or the exit kerbs

Edited by zk12, 22 July 2012 - 20:38.

#1431 as65p

as65p

• 17,785 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 21:02

thanks guys
i found him on wiki

what does that mean, can someone explain this to me, what wanted windsor to say with it:

That's the kind of stuff Windsor produces regularily and whose true meaning will forever remain his secret and his alone. :p Mark Hughes has those moments too.

I think they try to impress with their supposedly intimate expert knowledge of F1 driving styles and car behaviour, but usually just end up writing non-sensical BS.

#1432 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,508 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 21:06

Must be terrible to have to drive the slowest car in the field...

#1433 prty

prty

• 5,218 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 21:15

Yeah Windsor really has a tendency of putting a lot of big and technical words together and hope that someone understands them, while he might not be one of the persons that do.

#1434 zk12

zk12

• 319 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 21:34

here an article in german.
domenicali praises alonso, he said inter alia that ferrari has to thank fernando for pushing them and staying constructive in a very hard time they had at the beginning of the season and also for that because he never lost confidence in the team.

#1435 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 21:35

Great drive from Alonso, reminded me of the many Vettel-wins from last year: get away from pole and then control the race despite perhaps not having the fastest car out there (or at least it being very close).

#1436 zk12

zk12

• 319 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 21:36

Great drive from Alonso, reminded me of the many Vettel-wins from last year: get away from pole and then control the race despite perhaps not having the fastest car out there (or at least it being very close).

and how for gods sake does that remind you of vettel 2011 :confused:

Edited by zk12, 22 July 2012 - 21:42.

#1437 DukeSpecial

DukeSpecial

• 46 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 21:41

Good drive, and he is showing Prost-like canniness this year in particular. It's quite like 1986 where Prost didn't have the fastest car at any point of the season but mastered all those around him who took points off each other and didn't quite have the race intelligence Prost had.

#1438 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 21:42

Oh boy... Too bad I haven't got a tomato in hand.

#1439 FerrariAlonso

FerrariAlonso

• 409 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 21:44

I think Fernando drove today brilliantly again as he has done so so far this year. McLaren and RB were just a fraction quicker than the Ferrari, but Vettel was all over the place in some stages of the race, Jenson flat-spotted his tyre right after his second stop. Fernando was flawless through the whole race, squeezed everything out of the car and played around with the tyres. For me Fernando Alonso is the best driver in the world right now.
My idol was, is and will be Michael Schumacher, but in the last year I really fell in love with Alonso's talent. I can't remember a driver who was as comlete as the Spaniard. Any thoughts on that?

Advertisement

#1440 DukeSpecial

DukeSpecial

• 46 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 21:47

I can't remember a driver who was as comlete as the Spaniard. Any thoughts on that?

Yes, Prost. In my time of watching F1 (1984 onwards) he was the complete driver. My favourite drivers have been Senna, Hill and Hamilton for various reasons but Prost was the best I've seen.

#1441 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 21:49

and how for gods sake does that remind you of vettel 2011 :confused:

Barcelona and Monaco, for example. Okay perhaps the Ferrari was a bit more competitive today but still great job, and great weekend. :up:

#1442 gricey1981

gricey1981

• 1,186 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 21:53

Hamilton fan here but fred is a step above this year. A pleasure to watch.

#1443 rt99

rt99

• 180 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 21:57

thanks guys
i found him on wiki

I can't explain it, but can understand what a driver on the limit can feel "in his bones" and weight transfer.
try it in a road car, you can play with the weight transfer via body roll into a fast corner with left foot braking and throttle still down , for faster mid and exit. These drivers ooze talent in not only driving ability, but what they feel and interprete from the car and track surface.

#1444 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,415 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 22:01

Barcelona and Monaco, for example. Okay perhaps the Ferrari was a bit more competitive today but still great job, and great weekend. :up:

You forgot to put this in your post:

Posted Image

#1445 Architrion

Architrion

• 141 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 22:09

Sorry.... I'm still laughing out loud....

"The exchange between Alonso, Button and Vettel as they climbed out of their cars immediately after the race was also illuminating."

After standing on his Ferrari's nose to milk the applause, Alonso turned to Button and said: "You couldn't beat me?" He then pointed to Vettel and said: "He couldn't either."

I read it here
Andrew Benson on BBC

#1446 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 22:14

Yes, Prost. In my time of watching F1 (1984 onwards) he was the complete driver. My favourite drivers have been Senna, Hill and Hamilton for various reasons but Prost was the best I've seen.

Prost and Schumacher are close to Fernando as being complete, but I think they both had their weaknesses, and as Stella said about Fernando, the strong point about him is that he has none :up:

#1447 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 22:16

Sorry.... I'm still laughing out loud....

"The exchange between Alonso, Button and Vettel as they climbed out of their cars immediately after the race was also illuminating."

After standing on his Ferrari's nose to milk the applause, Alonso turned to Button and said: "You couldn't beat me?" He then pointed to Vettel and said: "He couldn't either."

I read it here
Andrew Benson on BBC

Omg, is that for real?

If that's true that's one of the most epic/badass ways to finish a race :rotfl: :rotfl:

#1448 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 22:16

You forgot to put this in your post:

Posted Image

Okay... :well:

#1449 Architrion

Architrion

• 141 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 22:19

Omg, is that for real?

If that's true that's one of the most epic/badass ways to finish a race :rotfl: :rotfl:

That is what Andrew Bensons says on his blog.... commenting as much Alonso is enjoying this season and the current situation....

#1450 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 22:35

That is what Andrew Bensons says on his blog.... commenting as much Alonso is enjoying this season and the current situation....

I got a new shiny signature :lol: