Photo

Fernando Alonso - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4015 replies to this topic

#1451 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 5,556 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:30

World Championship drive from Alonso. Only driver to clearly lay claim to the WDC this year.

Advertisement

#1452 hsvone

hsvone

• 1,079 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:24

BBC Interviews Alonso - Domenicalli

Great interview thanks for posting. One cannot help but like Stefano. A very affable and likeable chap. Good sense of humour too. :up:

Alonso. Relentless. :smoking:

#1453 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,539 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:56

When many are asked about the best driver ever, the answer is often the same - Ayrton Senna. It looks like that not the number of titles is what counts (no doubt seven is also hard to achieve). Fernando reminds me a lot of Alain though - he was not called the Professor for nothing. He is driving very smart, using his head, avoiding conflicts on and outside the track, and using tough politics sometimes when needed in his favour. His driving abilities and statistics speak for themselves without any further comment...

#1454 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,410 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:57

After standing on his Ferrari's nose to milk the applause, Alonso turned to Button and said: "You couldn't beat me?" He then pointed to Vettel and said: "He couldn't either."

It sounds to me like he was surprised that they couldn't overtake him given the fact that he and the team think the f2012 is a little slower than the RB and the McLaren.

By the way, I want to say thank you to some of the usual suspects that usually come here to sake things, pretty mature and fair comments so far, please keep it like this all the season ;)

#1455 aray

aray

• 2,721 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:04

the things are going too good...i hope we won't have to face the heart-break at the end....:well:

#1456 flat4pilot

flat4pilot

• 114 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:32

I am definitely enjoying fernando's racing this year, who i wonder is going to come springing out of the bunch behind him to make a bid for the championship?
He is on another level right now and driving home his advantage with consistent finishes. Bravo!

#1457 Alfons

Alfons

• 31 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:13

Sorry.... I'm still laughing out loud....

"The exchange between Alonso, Button and Vettel as they climbed out of their cars immediately after the race was also illuminating."

After standing on his Ferrari's nose to milk the applause, Alonso turned to Button and said: "You couldn't beat me?" He then pointed to Vettel and said: "He couldn't either."

I read it here
Andrew Benson on BBC

Haha , yes that was quite something although I'm pretty sure Andrew Benson misquoted Alonso on this. I recorded the race and heard that bit again. Basically , Button commented to Alonso, "I could'nt beat you in the DRS" to which Alonso replied "Yes, You could'nt beat me" and then pointed at Vettel "He could'nt either"

I think drivers the top drivers today have massive respect for each to say something that crass and obviously Benson is known for his sensationalism at times.

#1458 Andy35

Andy35

• 3,460 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:28

Fernando is on top form at the moment, driving excellently and a pleasure to watch.

Regards

Andy

#1459 bmardini

bmardini

• 326 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:30

thanks guys
i found him on wiki

what does that mean, can someone explain this to me, what wanted windsor to say with it:

Basically, he is detailing the driving distinctions between Jenson and Fernando. Jenson's style is textbook - brake hard in a straight line, late turn in, solid apex, exit.

Fernando was doing something else. He was turning in a bit earlier which suggests that the Ferrari had less grip. The thing about an earlier turn in is that it can sometimes work out for you if the car is misbehaving, because in some ways if you can manage to get the car facing towards the exit, even before you reach the apex, that means you can start to straighten the wheel and get back on the power. Some drivers (like Jenson) are so good at carrying insane amounts of speed to the apex, but then they are neutral at exit because the car can't give any more (they are on the power, just not early). Some drivers in a defensive position will give up a bit of corner entry speed to have a nice, early run out. Slow in- fast out.

What Peter is talking about regarding braking I don't understand. This is all about power-exit.

Fernando could manipulate the weight transfer, there, between the two corners, with a subtle nudge to create torque twist. Minimise load for a clean run out of the last corner. Into Turn One: again create that weight shift with an early turn-in, thus minimizing the amount of steering required mid-corner and leaving him free to adjust brake and throttle according to bumps, or the exit kerbs

Advertisement

#1460 topical

topical

• 2,301 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:47

does anyone know who this windsor is, is he always this good?

If there was a pseuds corner in F1, Windsor would win it every time. One of the most annoying "experts" around imo. Remember this is the guy in 2007 who said Lewis was more talented than Senna and Prost. Like most of his colleagues, he just changes his opinions with the direction of the wind.

#1461 topical

topical

• 2,301 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:49

Sorry.... I'm still laughing out loud....

"The exchange between Alonso, Button and Vettel as they climbed out of their cars immediately after the race was also illuminating."

I read it here
Andrew Benson on BBC

Benson is totally misrepresenting this. The exchange happened in the backroom before the podium ceremony and was on TV. Button said something like "your top speed is amazing, I couldn't pass you even with DRS" and Alonso said about Vettel "he couldn't either." A little cheeky, but not the crowing triumphalism that Benson is portraying it as.

Edited by topical, 23 July 2012 - 06:51.

#1462 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,139 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:13

Simply the best driver out there. Not the fastest, but surely the smartest driver by far. He kept at bay two world champions with such ease, like he was playing with them. Fernando, I used to hate your guts, but I must bow to your genius.

Not two but three world champions at bay.

Fernando was very clever at turn 2. Somehow he managed to create enough gap with better traction+KERS to nullify the DRS threat. Great driver, superb car and team work. :clap:

#1463 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:05

World Championship drive from Alonso.

Agree.

Picking up your third WDC is the point you join the greats, IMO. If Alonso achieves that the way he's driving this season, both the WDC and joining the greats will be thoroughly deserved.

#1464 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,458 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:10

Yes, he is right on top of his game. Nothing to say really. It's probably my fault since I wrote he won't be WDC :)
Seriously I think Ferrari has a great car for Alonso but he is also putting together some of the best driving I have seen for a very long time. He is up there even if it rains or if it shines and he is always there and he is just driving perfect at the moment. In the zone. At the moment he is on another and a higher level than the rest of the grid.

Edited by FenderJaguar, 23 July 2012 - 09:11.

#1465 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,539 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:12

Fernando with a message on his Facebook today - "Siempre quiero dar el 100%" - "I always want to give 100%"

Posted Image

#1466 Alfons

Alfons

• 31 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:44

https://twitter.com/...4/photo/1/large

Ferrari printed this out and Alonso posted this on twitter.

This was said by Alonso on the radio on lap 62 when Button was 1 sec off him .Roughly translates into I know it is not 'easy, but try to stay calm. It's all right here.

Talk about staying calm like a boss, reminds me of his radio at the 2006 Australian Grand Prix when he was rrrrrrelaxed. :rotfl:

#1467 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:47

Pete Gill in Sky SPORTS about Aloso:

As so often, hats off. You may not like him, but it's impossible not to admire his brilliance.

Barring abnormality or retirement, two things that Alonso seems immune from enduring, he can be expected to collect a decent haul of points on a race-by-race basis. What both Red Bull and McLaren thus now need is for the other to also start consistently beat Alonso if either team is to quickly reel in the Spaniard. Otherwise, he really might be uncatchable.

#1468 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,410 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:21

Some newspapers:

Posted Image

What's up with the Italian press and Alonso tongue!? :rotfl: :rotfl:

Posted Image

#1469 MarcelBrDirani

MarcelBrDirani

• 116 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:37

1) Including 2005 make the rest of your post garbage. Did you watch 2005? Bridgestone cars were not in the same league. Fair and square my ass. What about 2001, 2003 and 2004 where MS beat him fair and square? I guess you can count 7 vs 2!!!

2005 the cars (chassis, tyres, engine, aero, all combined) were about equal. Alonso is and was a better driver.

In 2001,03 and 04, Michael was driving very very superior cars as he was in 1994,95, 2000. No teamate, no competition. Altough not anyone could "build" that situation, any good driver could win multiple titles under those circunstances.

#1470 Ashitank

Ashitank

• 394 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:56

Hamilton fan here , please to watch a True champion Alonso showing us what a real world champion without car advantage will do to competition, just amazing admirable performances from Alonso.

But being a Hamilton fan I hope we get a close fight till the end of the season to get the best out of all the drivers.

#1471 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,410 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 13:15

Some great words from Stefano:

"This year it was important from his side not to lose faith in the team and not to lose the will to believe in what he is doing when we had difficult days at the beginning of the season with a car that was not a car," Domenicali said. "To see him always motivated and focused on the job was really good and that is something that makes the difference when you are under pressure. You know that you have to do a big job to improve the car but if you see that a world champion is pushing in the right way for the team to work, I think that is something fundamental. For that we need to thank him a lot."

#1472 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,442 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 13:43

2005 the cars (chassis, tyres, engine, aero, all combined) were about equal. Alonso is and was a better driver.

In 2001,03 and 04, Michael was driving very very superior cars as he was in 1994,95, 2000. No teamate, no competition. Altough not anyone could "build" that situation, any good driver could win multiple titles under those circunstances.

Comedy gold. Other words I don't have for this pile of horse dump.

In 2005 it was universally known there was no contest between Schumacher and Alonso (except Imola and a part of Bahrein) because the new Ferrari was dodgy and ate through the underperforming Bridgestone tyres. Another fact: the F2003GA wasn't "very, very superior", just like the 1995 Benetton and 2000 Ferrari. Watch the races, read the complete results. 1994 could be argued about for the first half of the season, just like 2001. But the titles were certainly not free. I hear the schoolbells ringing, you should run for it. That's basically the whole level of the discussion, your info is outdated and biased as hell.

Feel free to rejoin the discussion somewhere else, in the Schumacher topic f.e., this is going far offtopic.

Edited by Jejking, 23 July 2012 - 13:45.

#1473 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 18:24

A fantastic video.That shot of Fernando on the podium in valencia will stay with me for many many years.

#1474 Lone

Lone

• 659 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 19:48

Prost and Schumacher are close to Fernando as being complete, but I think they both had their weaknesses, and as Stella said about Fernando, the strong point about him is that he has none :up:

Fernando is really on top of his game. I can't remember him ever beeing as impressive as he's today but no need to get carried away saying he's better than Schumacher or Prost. Currently he's looking to be the best in this era but it's stupid to compare with other eras especially with one who has 7 world titles. Fernando is doing absolutely great at the moment but if he fails to win the WDC this season things will look differently so let's just wait a second before claiming he's better than the two. And don't take what Stella says as gospel even if it's true!

#1475 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,655 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 21:11

I disagree. How great Fernando looked in some of best moments of his career, Michael looked a bit more often. I am not a fan of either of those guys being a McLaren fan, but Schumacher is one guy that looked like Fernando 2010-2012 in almost every season of his (first) career. Always relentless, and mostly 'indestructible'.

Some people either didn't watch Michael racing or simply forgot about how good he really was. If not for him, guys like Hill/Hakkinen/Villeneuve would probably today be lauded as great legends of F1 just like Senna/Prost.

#1476 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 21:20

I disagree. How great Fernando looked in some of best moments of his career, Michael looked a bit more often.

I am so tired to see comparing this two drivers HERE in Alonso's thread. You can't compare the "good old Schumi-times" with the actually situacion in F1.
I think too many people forget the influence of the young Alonso sucsess in Schumis career....

Its ONLY my opinion! :)

#1477 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,800 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 21:44

10 races down, 10 to go. At the moment Alonso is the class of the field. He's driving as well as I've ever seen him. He's wringing that Ferrari for every worth and now he needs his teammate to up the ante and give him some assistance. Fernando's a one man team at the moment and Felipe has to up his game and start taking points away from his rivals.

#1478 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,442 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 21:47

I am so tired to see comparing this two drivers HERE in Alonso's thread. You can't compare the "good old Schumi-times" with the actually situacion in F1.
I think too many people forget the influence of the young Alonso sucsess in Schumis career....

What are you trying to say? I don't get it?

#1479 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 954 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 22:29

This was the first time he won the race while leading WDC since Canada '06

Edited by BorkoF2012, 23 July 2012 - 22:31.

Advertisement

#1480 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,459 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 23:11

Jenson: "Fernando has been phenomenal these last few races, he has done a great job...It could easily turn around for him, but at the moment, I must say he is doing a great job and he deserves to be where he is."

#1481 discover23

discover23

• 4,398 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 23:37

What are you trying to say? I don't get it?

I could be wrong but what I think he meant is
- F1 nowadays is more competive than back then.. Compare the number of the WDCs from both eras.
- Young Alonso already demonstrated that he was better than MSC - see 2006 season as reference.

Edited by discover23, 23 July 2012 - 23:38.

#1482 discover23

discover23

• 4,398 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 23:47

Comedy gold. Other words I don't have for this pile of horse dump.

In 2005 it was universally known there was no contest between Schumacher and Alonso (except Imola and a part of Bahrein) because the new Ferrari was dodgy and ate through the underperforming Bridgestone tyres. Another fact: the F2003GA wasn't "very, very superior", just like the 1995 Benetton and 2000 Ferrari. Watch the races, read the complete results. 1994 could be argued about for the first half of the season, just like 2001. But the titles were certainly not free. I hear the schoolbells ringing, you should run for it. That's basically the whole level of the discussion, your info is outdated and biased as hell.

Feel free to rejoin the discussion somewhere else, in the Schumacher topic f.e., this is going far offtopic.

2003 was not dominant however There was tiregate plus Williams BMW wa unreliable whereas the Ferrari was rock solid with zero DNFs from MS

#1483 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 00:44

This is a slightly different take on the "you couldn't catch me" alleged quote written by a poster on Benson's BBC blog. I didn't hear the exchange, at all, but this variant does seem like the sort of joking banter one would expect from the three podium finishers.

At 05:20 23rd Jul 2012, funkymc1 wrote:

Andrew Benson Wrote
================================================================
I am pretty sure i am not the only one who clearly heard Jenson Button begin the exchange by saying to Fernando Alonso "I just couldn't catch you" to which Alonso replied "You couldn't catch me.....no" to which Button replied "he couldnt catch you either" and then Alonso pointing to Vettel "you couldn't catch me either....no" to which vettel nodded his head. You turned a perfectly innocent conversation on Alonso's part into him having a cheap shot at Button and Vettel, Poor journalism from Benson again.

Edited by PoleMan, 24 July 2012 - 00:44.

#1484 Heasven

Heasven

• 214 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:04

Guys let's not jinx Fernando.

There is still a long way to go. I know we all have been waiting for "el tri-campeonato" but 10 races to go is an eternity. Nothing has been won yet. Let's take it race by race and enjoy driving greatness.

But I did wanted to comment that the more his career has progressed, the more I see Fernando like a metamorphosis of Senna/Prost/Schumacher combined. Masterful in many driving aspects without a visible flaw.

#1485 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,249 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:15

When many are asked about the best driver ever, the answer is often the same - Ayrton Senna. It looks like that not the number of titles is what counts (no doubt seven is also hard to achieve). Fernando reminds me a lot of Alain though - he was not called the Professor for nothing. He is driving very smart, using his head, avoiding conflicts on and outside the track, and using tough politics sometimes when needed in his favour. His driving abilities and statistics speak for themselves without any further comment...

Senna was overrated, he would intimidate and often run into other competitors, as on occasion MS does or did.
I tend to agree that comparing Alonso and Prost. Both good competitors, both hard but fair.
Alonso seems to have less brain fade though. Prost probably would have won even more except for the occasional silly mistake or accident.
And it seems he is probably a nicer bloke than all of the above!

#1486 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:37

10 races down, 10 to go. At the moment Alonso is the class of the field. He's driving as well as I've ever seen him. He's wringing that Ferrari for every worth and now he needs his teammate to up the ante and give him some assistance. Fernando's a one man team at the moment and Felipe has to up his game and start taking points away from his rivals.

agree - that car has been a pretty good car last few races. start of the year - not so much, but it is now a class car and Alonso is doing what any good driver should be doing with it...now Massa really needs to lift his game. they have a very reliable and fast car and Massa just needs to get his head down and get on with it

Now befor ethe Alonso fans get uppity...I do think Alonso is easily the best driver out there the last couple of years.

#1487 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,542 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:49

Now this is funny...

1994 Williams was the better car once after Ayrton Senna had died. 1995: Williams was faster, but Schu made the difference there. 2000: McLaren had the quicker car, once again, Schu made the difference.

2005: That was not Ferrari's fault, however, at Hungary 2005, Schu was unbelieveably quick, qualifying nearly a full second ahead of McLarens and Renaults. Had Bridgestone brought their A-game, Schu would have probably won the championship. 2003 was not really a superior car...

As for Alonso, right now, THIS current Alonso is on par with a 1998 Schumacher. Very high class.

Edited by George Costanza, 24 July 2012 - 03:52.

#1488 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,448 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:57

Senna was overrated, he would intimidate and often run into other competitors, as on occasion MS does or did.
I tend to agree that comparing Alonso and Prost. Both good competitors, both hard but fair.
Alonso seems to have less brain fade though. Prost probably would have won even more except for the occasional silly mistake or accident.
And it seems he is probably a nicer bloke than all of the above!

:rotfl:

The fact Senna was such a tool on occasion meant he was UNDERRATED at the time.
Nobody wanted to credit him for being a ridiculously good driver because he was often a ridiculously bad sport.

I remember...

#1489 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,539 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:07

Just look at those mimics...

Posted Image

#1490 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,655 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:36

We can probably only agree on the fact that Alonso is in best form of his life, because before even after his 2 WDC titles I didn't heard so much praise and Senna/Schumacher comparisons. :)

#1491 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,442 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:48

2003 was not dominant however There was tiregate plus Williams BMW wa unreliable whereas the Ferrari was rock solid with zero DNFs from MS

Acknowledged that (btw, McLaren was also less reliable). The reliability of the Ferrari was close to bulletproof from 2001 on. Still not dominating though :p Actually, it could be seen as one aspect of the word 'dominance' though. But well, whatever, back ontopic :p

#1492 HPT

HPT

• 1,224 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:13

Went over to pitpass.com for a quick look and noticed that their readers voted Vettel as man of the race by a large margin, followed by Kimi and then only Alonso. Wonder what makes anyone vote for Vettel.

Anyways, I still haven't congratulated Alonso for another fantastic win here (although I did go crazy on Facebook :lol: ) so well done Fernando! Please keep them coming!

#1493 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,083 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:00

Alonso seems to have less brain fade though. Prost probably would have won even more except for the occasional silly mistake or accident. And it seems he is probably a nicer bloke than all of the above!

I agree that Prost is a better point of comparison, but he was known for having a very low error rate. Can you think of races, or championships, that he lost through driving errors?

#1494 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,083 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:03

agree - that car has been a pretty good car last few races. start of the year - not so much, but it is now a class car and Alonso is doing what any good driver should be doing with it...now Massa really needs to lift his game. they have a very reliable and fast car and Massa just needs to get his head down and get on with it

Now befor ethe Alonso fans get uppity...I do think Alonso is easily the best driver out there the last couple of years.

It is still only the third best car. Wet qualifying sessions have distorted the grid for the last two races and, while it is great that Alonso has maximised this opportunity, it is not going to be the normal situation.

#1495 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:38

I don't agree it's the third best car - I think it varies NOW between 2nd and 1st depending on conditions and the track.

#1496 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,083 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:49

I don't agree it's the third best car - I think it varies NOW between 2nd and 1st depending on conditions and the track.

Wait for a completely dry weekend. It is good in the wet (if that is what you mean).

Edit: By the way, I would love to be proved wrong. However, I saw nothing in Hockenheim that made me believe Alonso could have won from a non-front row slot.

Edited by garoidb, 24 July 2012 - 08:54.

#1497 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:55

Posted Image

:)

#1498 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:58

Wait for a completely dry weekend. It is good in the wet (if that is what you mean).

We all know about the qualifying pace but it is hardly as bad as you make it seem. Apart from their rather weird strategy during Q2 Valencia, Alonso qualifies reasonably well...

As for the race pace, they are second to none and don't blow hot or cold depending on track characteristics and weather conditions. They always have front running pace.

#1499 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:58

Edit: By the way, I would love to be proved wrong. However, I saw nothing in Hockenheim that made me believe Alonso could have won from a non-front row slot.

What about his rocket start?

Advertisement

#1500 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,143 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:59

Nobody else won from a non-front row slot either.