Photo

Fernando Alonso - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4015 replies to this topic

#1651 HPT

HPT

• 1,155 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:45

Not that we're not already in awe of Alonso's abilities, but this bit from the PC really impressed me about him even further. When asked about the engine mapping clamp down, he replied:

As we said before, it doesn't change anything for us. We will have exactly the same car as Silverstone or Germany and for them, we have no idea. I think they are having their press conference at four, so it's more a question for them.

I think it shows that his situation awareness is remarkable. Other than his points calculation at the end of every race, he seems to know what everybody is up to as well.

Advertisement

#1652 Bren

Bren

• 52 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:45

I keep seeing the line that 'Alonso has vetoed Hamilton as a teammate' in Benson's articles but I can never find a source. And of course, its become 'fact' now, many articles in various publications mention it.

Has anyone, apart from Benson after a daydream in the shower, seen a comment or 'a trusted source from the team' mentioning this?

#1653 HPT

HPT

• 1,155 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:51

I keep seeing the line that 'Alonso has vetoed Hamilton as a teammate' in Benson's articles but I can never find a source. And of course, its become 'fact' now, many articles in various publications mention it.

Has anyone, apart from Benson after a daydream in the shower, seen a comment or 'a trusted source from the team' mentioning this?

I haven't. And frankly, after how he deiberately twisted what Alonso said and changed the entire context of the conversation between him and Button at the last race, I have lost all respect for him as a journalist.

#1654 Bren

Bren

• 52 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:04

Yeah, its very annoying to see his silly attempts to inject drama into his articles.
I think the english speaking press needs to let go of their vilification of Alonso, he isnt the 'bad guy'.
That includes the Jake from the BBC as well.

#1655 aray

aray

• 2,543 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:14

most of the BBC team hate alonso...

#1656 Bren

Bren

• 52 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:50

I guess they feel they need a villian. They are also very selective in their facts too. They love Webber's opinions and they love to bring up Hock 2010 as bad sportsmanship, but when you combine the two, the results arent what they want.

'He was faster mate, he disappeared up the road' (or similar) when Webber was asked about the incident.

Anyways,

#1657 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,449 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:46

I think Fernando has still respect for what is doing and what he has achieved, and that is a good attitude:

The two-time champion said it would be a dream for him to secure his third title and emulate the late Ayrton Senna, his childhood hero.

"I think we need to wait and see. For me it is a dream in my career to win three world championships, now or in six years' time.

"The third one will be important for me, to have the same as Ayrton had, who was my idol and a reference when I was in go-karts. Three is a big number always and hopefully it will arrive."

#1658 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,522 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:01

It's just me or I think it's a little weird that a fan will ask other drivers to sign Fernando's helmet?.

Posted Image

#1659 juandiego

juandiego

• 391 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:03

I'd like to see some of today's 'aces' go flat out for 3 or so hours around the old Nordschleife in say a 1937 Auto Union, or beat the entire field by 4+ minutes at the same track in conditons that today would cause them to not even venture out of their motorhomes, or harness competitively the 1000+ hp of an early '80s turbo, or take the Masta kink flat out in an early 70s F1 car because that's what the 'old aces' did. They had talent in spades, equal to the drivers of today.

While all that is impressive —I mean it— and I even agree that it took a life-threatening braveness that probably current drivers don't have in the same amount because it's no longer needed, it doesn't have to do with true talent, or at least it cannot define the whole concept of talent. Talent is the ability to deal with your business. I keep in my point that given the much harder selection process by which current drivers arrive to the pinnacle of different motosports, it's improbable that past drivers had the same talent. Obviously circumstances change and maybe now is not exactly the same kind of talent, but it doesn't take away veracity to my reasoning.

To ride a mountain bike along a 1 meter width path with a 100 meters high cliff at one side is more dangerous than to pilot a fighter jet, but to do this latter a very special talent is required whereas to do the former you only need not to panic. A stupid example, I know but it was just to illustrate my point.

Aside note. It seems that the term I used, "old aces", sounds as if derogative or at least sarcastic, well, believe me, it wasn't my intention. I just want to straightforwardly convey: those past best drivers. It seems I didn't get it; excuse me for that and my English, please.

Advertisement

#1660 juandiego

juandiego

• 391 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:16

To compare eras is to compare apples and toasters. One can do it, but others may wonder why.
I tend to think, on the contrary to nostalgic guys than present drivers are better than old guys. Not genetically or in raw talent, it will be never possible to compare that. But what I clearly think is that the drivers as a whole from the former eras are simply inferior to modern F1 drivers.
Why?

• Because today a pilot has much more possibilities to compete, drive, train, get right nutrition, physical fitness, measure or increase aerobic capabilities, train reflexes, strength, know about technical things, etc. In the old days the drivers' physical condition and attention to detail was nowhere near what it is today. Many F1 drivers were smokers, even heavy drinkers and today many of them are close to monks.
  • The background of any driver in F1 nowadays it is simply incredible comparing it with any historical one. When a modern driver arrives to the pinnacle of motorsports they have been driving or competing since they were babies. Take any F1 driver and probably began karting with 3 to 5 years old, since then until today he has been doing nothing but competing in more than 1000 motor races with thousands of people much better than the ones that could exists in the 50s. It’s natural selection. Juan Manuel Fangio won his first WDC with 40 years old, previous to that was a taxi driver in Buenos Aires. The 5th WDC he won he was 46. It certainly could be possible, but extremely difficult that a person with this age can win even a GP today.
  • There are a lot more people doing motorsports today, and it would be safe to assume that there are more talented people involved in the sport. There are no doubts that are better prepared.
The current drivers’ generation and their teams are trying to perfect every single aspect of racing while in the good old days the drivers just jumped in the cars and drove a race every now and then. It was maybe more cool, but they wouldn't stand a chance now.

I fully agree, Inaki.
However, I do think that current drivers should be better than past drivers in raw talent, genetically, as you put it. It's a probabilistic matter: the bigger the sample to choose from, the higher the chance to get optimal selections.

Edited by juandiego, 27 July 2012 - 07:17.

#1661 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,449 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:02

Our birthday kid

Posted Image

#1662 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:06

It's just me or I think it's a little weird that a fan will ask other drivers to sign Fernando's helmet?.

Posted Image

Especially drivers like Pic.

#1663 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,496 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:17

Finnish MTV3 will present an interview of Domenicali speaking about Fernando, Kimi, Felipe and Heikki later today. Interview was made yesterday. Not expecting anybody learn some finnish by then but wanted to let you know :wave:

#1664 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,689 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:48

Benson is a tool.

#1665 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,522 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:14

I keep seeing the line that 'Alonso has vetoed Hamilton as a teammate' in Benson's articles

It's just silly and shows how biased some british journos are, if there is a line in Fernando's contract or verbal agreement that says that Hamilton is forbidden, I can tell you that few people in the world know it and Benson it's not one of them.

#1666 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 15:13

Posted Image

Maybe he is just hoping to get as many signatures as possible on there. Not many people can afford to buy one, let alone several replica helmets.

#1667 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 15:54

Maybe he is just hoping to get as many signatures as possible on there. Not many people can afford to buy one, let alone several replica helmets.

At a race, I'd be happy to have all the drivers sign any memorabilia that I may have chosen to purchase. No harm intended. When at the circuit, the happy feeling and appreciation of all things F1 is a lot more expansive and accommodating. Your intention is simply to enjoy and no problem at all having Pic sign an Alonso helmet. It's all F1 and I'm sure Pic knows this. He should be happy that the man wants his signature at all and not be grumpy that it happens to be an Alonso helmet that he's being asked to sign.

#1668 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 17:32

VIDEO

F1 2012 - Ferrari - Alonso & Massa visit the earthquake zone - Cavezzo and Mirandola

#1669 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,449 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 19:48

2x Fernando from Budapest. Seems to be handling the pressure very well (source his FB)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by jstrains, 27 July 2012 - 19:48.

#1670 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 425 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:06

Posted Image

Just a very enthusiastic Alonso fan but I agree a little weird. Not as weird as a Schumacher fan I once saw with Large tattoos of Schumacher on his back :lol:
anyway what's Edie Jordan doing linning up for Autographs behind that Alonso fan ?

#1671 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:02

Did Alonso also vetoed Ron Dennis as new Ferrari team principal as well? I would imagine he and Hamilton will come together as a package for maximum explosion.

I find all these articles about "Mean Alonso not letting Lewis in Ferrari" quite amusing and exquisit.

Edited by fabr68, 28 July 2012 - 03:03.

#1672 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,522 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:00

Fernando and Felipe driving the F12berlinetta.

#1673 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,561 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:07

Best of luck to Fernando today, will be happy with a top 3!

#1674 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,518 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:30

Best of luck to Fernando today, will be happy with a top 3!

Definitely.

#1675 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,522 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:53

Hamashima talking a little about Fernando and Schumi:

---saying Schumacher and Alonso are "so very similar".

"They never give up in their efforts to achieve victories and titles," he said.

"I think Fernando is calmer and Michael (is) more aggressive," added Hamashima.

"In meetings, Fernando says the right thing, and calmly. Schumacher also made good comments but his manner of expression was different," he added.

#1676 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:59

P4 is achieveable.

#1677 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:15

Hamashima believes that Alonso's efforts should not be downplayed.

"I think the main reason why Fernando is leading the championship, is Fernando himself," explained Hamashima, who was drafted in at Ferrari earlier this season from his previous role at Bridgestone

"I believe his mentality helps all of our Ferrari staff, so he believes in it [the championship] very well. Of course there will be difficult competition during the year, but if we keep motivated for the remainder of the season then the results will come."

HOME WEB

#1678 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,522 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 13:15

Decent qualifying, let's hope the race goes better and his birthday make him a little faster :)

#1679 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 13:25

I hope for Alonso's sake he's not being serious with his optimistic math response "Webber is 11th on the grid, we're 6th" while Vettel is 3rd in the championship as well as on the grid because whenever they have the chance Red Bull will do whatever they can to get the championship with Vettel while not caring about Webber.

From Abu Dhabi 2010 I hope he has learned to not cover Webber.

Edited by Lights, 28 July 2012 - 13:26.

Advertisement

#1680 discover23

discover23

• 3,534 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 13:31

Does anyone know the number of laps completed by each driver in Q3 ?
I know both Alonso and Massa only did one timed lap.. I think that a second lap would have a given Alonso a chance at P4.

#1681 turssi

turssi

• 1,165 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 13:41

Fernando will probably need to defend his WDC lead for 10 races against these 5 guys who are in front of him at the Hungarian qualifying session. Should be possible, yes?

#1682 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,522 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 13:44

I hope for Alonso's sake he's not being serious with his optimistic math response "Webber is 11th on the grid, we're 6th" while Vettel is 3rd in the championship as well as on the grid because whenever they have the chance Red Bull will do whatever they can to get the championship with Vettel while not caring about Webber.

I agree, but he can't do anything about Vettel at this moment, he was fast, he is in front. If the race can't go his way, at least he can cover Webber and avoid losing points to him, but I agree that the tactic for the title should be cover Hamilton and Vettel, not Webber.

I know both Alonso and Massa only did one timed lap.. I think that a second lap would have a given Alonso a chance at P4.

Gene said that the first lap on softs was the good one for Ferrari, they also went out with less fuel to do only one lap, less fuel, better lap time, -0.100 I think.

Edited by kosmos, 28 July 2012 - 13:44.

#1683 bmardini

bmardini

• 326 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 13:47

Track temp was very high. Bad for Ferrari

Track layout is not ideal for the F2012

Both drivers didn't hook up a good lap. Fernando could have / should have done a 29.0 / 29.3 / 23.0, which would have been good for a 21.2-3

But again, race is tomorrow. If FA can hassle his way to p4 or p5 then its fine.

#1684 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,518 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 13:52

Unfortunately, this is the true position of the car IMO. The points lead is not enough to think in terms of covering off any particular driver, but at least there is the possibility that they will take points off each other. It could be that Fernando gets a poor result (e.g. 6th) but leaves with an increased WDC lead. That is of no real value long term, though, if Vettel and Hamilton (as seems likely to me) become the main championship contenders.

It is going to have to be damage limitation for this race again, and it is not going to be easy.

#1685 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,119 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 20:51

Too much pessimism and over-reaction. Alonso didn´t get a good lap together, like others on the grid, but he´s got a car as good as any other in race trim and has a not that bad track position. Going for gold is hard stuff tomorrow, but a solid podium is well within reach.

#1686 kazimriz

kazimriz

• 69 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 21:02

This is good. Alonso deserves a championship this year. 6 years is a long time coming. Everything feels normal. No mistakes. No excitement. Great points. Just what the doctor ordered.

#1687 MightyMc

MightyMc

• 184 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 21:06

Maldonado has pace and is going to be all over Fred tomorrow, squeeky bum time for the Ferrari fans :smoking:

#1688 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 21:07

:up: :)

Posted Image

#1689 kazimriz

kazimriz

• 69 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 21:11

Uh well I dont think you need to count on whether weather will propel him to glory. Fernando deserves better than that. He aint a crashing kid or a crying baby spilling beans all over his pram ? He might not win tomorrow, or ever, but one thing is for sure, that he will remain in championship hunt.

#1690 Skellen

Skellen

• 513 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 21:16

:up: :)

Posted Image

Christmas is coooming!

#1691 kazimriz

kazimriz

• 69 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 21:24

Christmas is coooming!

There is still quite sometime. Worry whether Alonso's championship is coming. Or not.

#1692 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 21:52

Happy BIRTHDAY Fernando!

Best wishes from Fisichella also....

Edited by puxanando, 28 July 2012 - 21:53.

#1693 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 22:11

♪♫ ♥ ♪♫ FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS CAMPEON ♪♫ ♥ ♪♫ #HappyBirthdayFernandoAlonso

#1694 kazimriz

kazimriz

• 69 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 22:15

♪♫ ♥ ♪♫ FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS CAMPEON ♪♫ ♥ ♪♫ #HappyBirthdayFernandoAlonso

Puxanando is Spanish and has an Alonso DP. Two things. Either he is Fernando Alonso in disguise, or the guy driving Car No. 5 is Puxanando.

#1695 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 22:22

.... he ....

SHE please! :wave:

#1696 kazimriz

kazimriz

• 69 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 22:28

SHE please! :wave:

Well if you have not set your gender then how will I know youre a female ? Sorry, in hindsight, since I gave some muscle in my posts. Usually that stuff is for guys, even if they cant handle it they deserve it. Otherwise, atleast I know Fernando Alonso is not Puxanando.

#1697 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 425 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 22:43

I'd like to know exactly too but I think most of the drivers ahead of Alonso on the grid did twice as many laps so will have not as good rubber.
True about P4 and the tactic was a compromise between saving tyres for the race and getting up the order. I think it was smart as Ferrari didn't really have the pace to fight for pole this time but have good race starts and fresher tyres aswell as better race pace than dry qualli pace that could put Fernando in a podium position quickly in the race.Then ofcourse the threat of rain and Fernando is well in contention for a win.

#1698 bmardini

bmardini

• 326 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:55

Neither the car nor the drivers were there in Quali. Something wasn't right with the setup and it just didn't look great all weekend. Unsurprisingly, in quali the car was a few tenths slower than expected and the drivers didn't do their best laps. Massa really should have put one to Alonso, he had the potential and looked much better in the car.

#1699 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,522 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:02

Happy brithday Fernando Alonso! and I wish you a good race.

Advertisement

#1700 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,114 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:25

Happy birthday Maestro! And if you manages to pull out a podium or maybe even a win in the wet today, I will put on the biggest sigh of relief ever known to mankind!!!:)

Here's to a good race and a very happy birthday, hip hip hooray! :up: