Photo

Fernando Alonso - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4015 replies to this topic

#1751 discover23

discover23

• 3,864 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 22:28

Yeah, I looked at that 2010 table too. At the moment Alonso is 40 points ahead of Webber, 42 ahead of Vettel, 47 ahead of Hamilton and 48 ahead of Raikkonen. They all have good cars. What he really needs is for these guys to take points off one another so that no clear contender emerges. There is not much Alonso can do about that, though. I also don't think he can do it without another win and a few more podiums.

If he can keep a 30-50 point lead for a few more races, then it will force the others to take some chances.

Wow, Lewis really threw away the WDC in 2010 after those two races towards the end where he did not score.

Edited by discover23, 30 July 2012 - 22:28.

Advertisement

#1752 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,660 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:05

A little recap of the season so far:

Wins: 3
Pole Position: 2
Podiums: 6

Posted Image

Not bad taking into account the car he had in average.

Also, some nice words from Valentino Rossi:

"They too were far behind at the beginning, and it was Fernando (Alonso) who made a difference, but then the team also progressed.

#1753 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:38

I think Alonso´s shape is SO good that he can hold it even if Ferrari doesn´t react and get back to winning shape. Lots of people are matching his performance peaks, but no one is able to match his consistency maximizing the bad days.

If world is fair, Alonso must be 2012 champion on merit, unless he does a terrible second half -which won´t happen-. :up:

Well, you don't know what Hamilton/McLaren or Webber/RBR may pull out of a hat. They aren't that far behind. I'm not so worried about Webber, but Hamilton is a threat indeed. Whoever wins that championship will deserve it :smoking: .... once the car is legal. :cat:

#1754 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,464 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 13:50

While almost everybody is already on holiday, Fernando is training in the factory gym. This attitude must pay off in the end

Posted Image

#1755 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 15:02

While almost everybody is already on holiday, Fernando is training in the factory gym. This attitude must pay off in the end

Can you confirm that everybody is already on holiday and that they are each out drinking on the beach and not doing their own private training? Give him the kudo's sure, but please don't defame the others in the process. You can't confirm what they are or aren't doing with their time at the moment.

#1756 radosav

radosav

• 100 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 15:23

Can you confirm that everybody is already on holiday and that they are each out drinking on the beach and not doing their own private training? Give him the kudo's sure, but please don't defame the others in the process. You can't confirm what they are or aren't doing with their time at the moment.

i just saw kimi and lewis on beach

#1757 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,464 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 15:25

I wrote "almost everybody" = not everybody :p

#1758 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 15:29

i just saw kimi and lewis on beach

I envy you! I also wanna see Kimi at the beach!

#1759 Tauhid

Tauhid

• 231 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 15:47

Alonso hasn't been this fit for awhile and he looks genuinely happy and I love how feisty he gets every time a championship rival comes close to his car. I don't know if anyone caught it or not but do you guys remember in Hungary when Vettel came out of the pits, right in front of Alonso? I saw an animalistic Alonso who got so close right up to the backside of the RB8. I love how that displays his true character. It's like a whole different machine gets turned on and he just wants to give it his all to stay in front. Unfortunately his car wouldn't allow him to do so.

Advertisement

#1760 Gene and Tonic

Gene and Tonic

• 555 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 15:51

Posted Image

To be honest I'd be raring to get in the gym if that apparatus was in there! Looks a lot of fun :up:

#1761 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:03

The reason Alonso is leading the championship by 40 points - a win and a second place - after 11 races is his ability to stay calm and get the most out of the car at all times.
Given the way he has been driving so far, Alonso might be able to hold on even if Ferrari don't improve their relative competitiveness. But it would be a whole lot easier if he had a faster car.

Battle to catch Alonso

#1762 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,446 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:12

A reminder to members that this is a motor racing forum. If you wish to gossip about girlfriends, music careers or hair fashion, please find somewhere else to discuss that.

If it doesn't concern his driving career or performance, it doesn't belong here.

#1763 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:43

Battle to catch Alonso

That was a good read. Thanks for the link. :up:

#1764 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,660 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 14:38

Fernando Alonso - Hungarian Grand Prix start [on board]

It's this the worst start of the season in terms of slowness?, at the end he overtook Kimi, probably that was the maximum goal with a good start anyway. Massa's start was slow too, maybe it was a case of the team not finding the right adjustments or maybe just drivers reaction?.

Edited by kosmos, 02 August 2012 - 14:41.

#1765 mknight

mknight

• 101 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 14:44

Fernando Alonso - Hungarian Grand Prix start [on board]

It's this the worst start of the season in terms of slowness?, at the end he overtook Kimi, probably that was the maximum goal with a good start anyway. Massa's start was slow too, maybe it was a case of the team not finding the right adjustments or maybe just drivers reaction?.

Yeah it wasn't a good start. Maybe it could have been the second formation lap? Could've changed the heat in the clutch or something.

Just goes to show how good Ferrari's launch system is if we consider a bad start to be one where Alonso only stays in the position he started in.

#1766 Devero

Devero

• 544 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 18:33

Dirty side of the track? In Hungary especially dusty :)

#1767 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 20:28

:up: Right

And he solved it good as ever!

#1768 mknight

mknight

• 101 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 22:31

Disagree that it's because of the dirty side. Grosjean and Button had a good launch off the line and they were on the same side. It rained during the night anyway so that made the cleaner side even less effective.

Looking at his on-board it looks like the clutch bogged down or something. Once it drops from 15k to 12k revs it drops again down to 11k revs, it wasn't continuous there was a short blip.

#1769 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,660 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:33

As mknight said, the dirty side was not that dirty thanks to the rain and Massa started from the clean side and his start wasn't much better.

#1770 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,660 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:56

Say goodbye to your leved ones, the world ends today, Frank Williams has praised Fernando.

Posted Image

f1 racing magazine

#1771 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,997 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:03

Say goodbye to your leved ones, the world ends today, Frank Williams has praised Fernando.

Posted Image

f1 racing magazine

I can imagine these words spoken complete with Frank Williams' voice - well, ol' Frank does have his desire for real racers, as it has been Senna, so it is his desire for Alonso today.

One thing though: Fernando smiles a lot more than many other drivers! Don't know where this misconception comes from. Other than that, he is focused and concentrated, which is good as well - he cannot run around smiling all the time anyway.

#1772 NorthernStar

NorthernStar

• 25 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:39

Sir Frank does seem to have a fixation on Alonso's (alleged) lack of smiles! This isn't the first time he's mentioned it. And it's pretty weird - of all the things to concentrate on about a driver! :drunk: I guess he isn't so different from us after all.

#1773 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,762 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:40

One thing though: Fernando smiles a lot more than many other drivers! Don't know where this misconception comes from. Other than that, he is focused and concentrated, which is good as well - he cannot run around smiling all the time anyway.

Nice words, should be bookmarked for the next time someone comes up with "ultimate pace is Alonso's weakness" crap. it's just that - all my admiration for Williams notwithstanding -, I don't really see Williams (or at least the Williams of old) as the kind of team that makes drivers smile with their great appreciation. See avatar ;)

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 06 August 2012 - 12:42.

#1774 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:44

Posted Image

Alonso on bike trial today

#1775 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:48

Posted Image

f1 racing magazine

:up: Nice words from Frank!

#1776 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 357 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 13:11

I prefer his maybe seldom smiling (which I didn't notice btw.) to the smirking of another WDC. He's absolutely OK as he is, as personality.
As a driver, I fail to see how one could still judge him as being not the top driver 2012, but only lucky.

#1777 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 14:26

I prefer his maybe seldom smiling (which I didn't notice btw.) to the smirking of another WDC. He's absolutely OK as he is, as personality.
As a driver, I fail to see how one could still judge him as being not the top driver 2012, but only lucky.

Well, that happens all the time. It's the order of the day. Pick your dominant driver of choice and check out the comments.

#1778 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,464 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 22:13

Latest pic on Fernando's Facebook. Does the one with Lewis mean anything?

Posted Image

#1779 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,548 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 23:19

Can someone please email these last few photos (and quite a few others) to Sir Frank? Seems like Fernando knows how to smile, and even appears to enjoy it! :cool:

Advertisement

#1780 as65p

as65p

• 17,190 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 23:27

Two latest pics on Fernando's Facebook. Does the one with Lewis mean anything?

Both pics mean the same, obviously. The girl I love, the boy I love.

:D ;)

Edited by as65p, 07 August 2012 - 23:28.

#1781 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,585 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:30

Posted Image

f1 racing magazine

Good to here, seems Frank would love Fernando in a Williams.

#1782 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,585 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:32

Posted Image

Love this pic!

#1783 rossbrawn

rossbrawn

• 310 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:35

Does the one with Lewis mean anything?

Posted Image

Mutual respect, I'd imagine.

#1784 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,464 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:00

Nice interview with Fernando and his realistic view of 2012 title changes (collecting points is not enough you have to win) and on his team mate in 2013 as well

#1785 topical

topical

• 2,086 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:03

Wonders never cease! Though he's not exactly lavish with his praise.

Edited by topical, 08 August 2012 - 09:06.

#1786 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,660 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:03

Some words from Button (Autosprint interview).

He explained that Ferrari is not the right place for him now because of the unique structure Alonso has built up around him at Maranello.

Asked if he thinks the Spaniard would willingly see ’his’ team altered to suit the needs of a new teammate, Button answered: "If you asked him, then no, he wouldn’t.

"He is a very intelligent driver and, maybe, in a parallel universe, I’d happily work with him. It would be difficult but it’s always interesting to have someone next to you who’s so tough, so smart.

"I admire him as I admired Alain Prost — he created a great atmosphere around him, with very good people.

"I’m sorry for Felipe, but I think Fernando has the whole team around him."

http://motorsport.ne...onso,46816.html

#1787 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,660 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:28

Some praise from Hamashima-san:

Hamashima also praised Alonso's understanding of the tyres, saying: "I think the main reason why Fernando is leading the championship is Fernando himself."

He added: "In Malaysia Ferrari used the tyres very well and Fernando won and also I think in Valencia he understood how the tyre behaved very well and that was how he could win a very difficult race."

http://en.espnf1.com...tory/86283.html

I think there is some stuff about Fernando in Autosport Magazine, I will report back when I have it.

#1788 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,660 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:13

Despite such improvements, last time out
in Hungary the Ferrari was not a match for the
McLaren, Lotus or Red Bull. That is particularly
worrying for Alonso’s hopes of holding his
position. Remarkably, his fifth place at the
Hungaroring, frankly the maximum the car
was capable of given that at no stage did it
show anything like the pace needed to go any
higher, extended his lead by a further six points.
This is symptomatic of a campaign in which
consistency, combined with ramming home any
advantage when you get it, has been key. This is
exactly what Alonso has done, never finishing
lower than ninth and taking a car that shouldn't
be leading the standings to the top.

For the rest, buy the magazine, but there is not much more;)

#1789 wift

wift

• 68 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:40

I think the fact that Alonso hasn't anything against Räikkönen ending up as his teammate speaks for his confidence. He would destroy Kimi right now speedwise.

#1790 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,548 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:13

Thanks for those Kosmos! :up: :up:

Very nice reads during this quiet part of the season. :cool:

#1791 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 357 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 13:18

In this article, Hamashima praises Alonso as having understood the Pirelli. He has learnt to drive maximising their performance. He says that it is not by chance that he is leading

Edited by FirstWatt, 09 August 2012 - 13:22.

#1792 Trust

Trust

• 3,182 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 13:27

Some praise from Hamashima-san:

http://en.espnf1.com...tory/86283.html

I think there is some stuff about Fernando in Autosport Magazine, I will report back when I have it.

This is so truthfull. He really made his own luck this season. Will be hard to catch 'till end.

#1793 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 13:45

Cocky fellow this Alonso guy. :lol:

Calming the team and turning down the engine setting while being chased down by Vettel and Button. I rate his German win very highly, even more so after reading this. He was in total control!

#1794 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,660 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 14:18

Cocky fellow this Alonso guy. :lol:

Calming the team and turning down the engine setting while being chased down by Vettel and Button. I rate his German win very highly, even more so after reading this. He was in total control!

That's the quote:

"Let’s wind the engine down and save fuel until the end ofthe race, when it might be needed!"

So that was the reason he pulled laptime out of the bag at the end of the race, something that some people believed it was a reason to think the car had more pace on the pocket.

#1795 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,660 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 16:26

A five horse race

Fernando Alonso
Previous titles: 2
Odds: 10/11

The season so far: Even if Alonso's championship campaign tanks over the next nine races, and there are no signs that it will, his first half of the season deserves its own little place in F1 history. Given a car that was completely unbalanced, lacking traction and slow on the straights at the start of the season, the Spaniard kept his head down and continued to drive at his best regardless. Even after his victory at a sodden Sepang there were few that thought the Ferrari was capable of winning in 'normal' circumstances, yet he is the only driver to have secured three race wins from the first eleven races.

Looking ahead: His position 40 points clear at the top of the championship is entirely deserved, but there have been signs that Ferrari is still a little off the pace of its rivals. Even after Alonso's victory in Germany, Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo said he was "concerned" by the strength of Ferrari's opponents. Alonso may be clear on points but he is going to have to work just as hard and continue to avoid DNFs if he is going to hold off the chasing pack all the way through to the final race in Brazil.

Let's hope the second half is better.

http://en.espnf1.com...tory/86275.html

Edited by kosmos, 09 August 2012 - 16:27.

#1796 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 17:03

That's the quote:

So that was the reason he pulled laptime out of the bag at the end of the race, something that some people believed it was a reason to think the car had more pace on the pocket.

And rightly so it seems. He could have gone faster on a more normal engine setting.

#1797 as65p

as65p

• 17,190 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 17:19

And rightly so it seems. He could have gone faster on a more normal engine setting.

Can be read anywhichway. It's my understanding that they got for ever engine something like 700km on 90 percent +200 km on 95 percent + 100km on 100 percent (simplified using random numbers). In this sense there's no "normal" engine setting, it's always a trade-off. Alonso apparently simply decided to save perfomance for later in the race. If he'd gone faster earlier on he wouldn't have been able to do so later.

Edited by as65p, 09 August 2012 - 17:20.

#1798 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,660 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 13:42

Huge compliment by the guys making the F2012 videogame, the have a new feature in the game to rewind time if you do a mistake, one of the guys developing the game said in the trailer:

"We are not all Fernando Alonsos of this world, we made mistakes..."

http://www.youtube.c...BbKtHSA#t=2m32s

I guess playing with Fernando in the game will give you an advantage :yawnface:

Edited by kosmos, 10 August 2012 - 13:43.

#1799 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,446 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 14:42

0.6s a lap?

Advertisement

#1800 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,660 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 15:14

0.6s a lap?

You can buy the game and test it by yourself, in real life he bring something more valuable, probably can't be converted into ones and zeros. :wave:

Edited by kosmos, 10 August 2012 - 15:14.