Photo

Fernando Alonso - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4015 replies to this topic

#1901 crespo

crespo

• 502 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 15:29

The above stats can also be interpreted that Alonso is a poor qualifier, who comes into his own and maximises the car's potential only in the race.

Nevertheless, Good post. That shows that Fernando does a good job by maximising his potential. But he has not won a championship in the past 6 years when he had a championship winning car two times out of those six years. Since he is so good at maximising, his mistakes in the early part of 2010 will always haunt him and Ferrari for the rest of their relationship by not being able to emulate Raikkonen.

Not necessarilly - one should also consider where his teammate qualified in order to come to that conclusion.

Advertisement

#1902 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 384 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 15:33

Not necessarilly - one should also consider where his teammate qualified in order to come to that conclusion.

:up:

I have difficulties at the moment to update the data with this information, but this was exactly my intention how to improve this stat.

#1903 DonaldDuck

DonaldDuck

• 299 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 15:46

Hm, what happened to...

... not so important anymore? :) At least you seem wise enough to change tack if required, just gotta try a little less obvious next time.

As for lifting the veil, why not. It would show that KR and FA had near identical first seasons at Maranello with early season mistakes, yet still being in the hunt at the last race. The real differences start there, in 2007 Ferrari arrived with the fastest car and an obedient Massa in Brazil and played it tactically perfect. In 2010 they had at best the joint 2nd fastest car in Abu Dhabi, Massa was nowhere and presumably sulking, and let's not start with the tactics during that race.

Sure.

Mclaren was faster in 2007, not Ferrari. That is debatable. Also, Massa was allowed to fight Kimi, but not Alonso. Lets not go back to Germany 2010. it will embarass Alonso/Ferrari fans. Fact is simple, Alonso had full ferrari support in 2010, Kimi had to fight for his championship in 2007 against Massa as well. And he won, whereas Alonso who had the undisputed number one status, did not. This is the final verdict. Results speak for themselves.

#1904 radosav

radosav

• 100 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 15:55

Mclaren was faster in 2007, not Ferrari. That is debatable. Also, Massa was allowed to fight Kimi, but not Alonso. Lets not go back to Germany 2010. it will embarass Alonso/Ferrari fans. Fact is simple, Alonso had full ferrari support in 2010, Kimi had to fight for his championship in 2007 against Massa as well. And he won, whereas Alonso who had the undisputed number one status, did not. This is the final verdict. Results speak for themselves.

well, it is questionable.
did Kimi gave title to Ferrari, or Ferrari gave title to Kimi?

#1905 crespo

crespo

• 502 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 15:59

Wrong, again. This feels more and more like you're just trying to troll the thread for some action now. It's difficult to take your posts seriously anymore.

Ah, just read your signature. It all makes sense now.

Edited by crespo, 23 August 2012 - 16:00.

#1906 as65p

as65p

• 17,499 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 15:59

Well, since you're throwing terms like "fact", "final verdict" and stuff, it must be true, I guess.

:drunk:

Results speak for themselves, you say. Fine. The let's no longer talk about KR's results in 2008 and 2009, it sure can only embarass you.

"Fact is simple", I like that. :D

#1907 DonaldDuck

DonaldDuck

• 299 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 16:40

Wrong, again. This feels more and more like you're just trying to troll the thread for some action now. It's difficult to take your posts seriously anymore.

Ah, just read your signature. It all makes sense now.

Does it hurt as an alonso/Ferrari fan to read the truth ? Does it depress you to know that despite the hooplah of a complete driver status alonso hasn't won a single title in 3 years ? Point out one thing which I've said wrong in this post and I leave it open for the members of this forum to debate on it.

#1908 as65p

as65p

• 17,499 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 16:58

Point out one thing which I've said wrong in this post and I leave it open for the members of this forum to debate on it.

If I may? :D

Mclaren was faster in 2007, not Ferrari. That is debatable.

Now what, were they faster or is it debatable? In any case in the post of me you replied to I was talking of Brazil '07, not the whole season. And in Brazil Ferrari was faster, and it's hardly debatable. So you were wrong. #1

Also, Massa was allowed to fight Kimi

Not after Monza 2007. So you were wrong. #2

but not Alonso.

But he was, up to Hockenheim 2010. So you were wrong. #3

Fact is simple, Alonso had full ferrari support in 2010

No, he had it only for half the season. So you were wrong. #4

Kimi had to fight for his championship in 2007 against Massa as well

Not for the whole season. So you were wrong. #5

whereas Alonso who had the undisputed number one status

This is the same wrong as #4, so you get that for free. :wave:

This is the final verdict. Results speak for themselves.

Ups. Sorry. :p

#1909 DonaldDuck

DonaldDuck

• 299 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 17:21

as65p.

Now this is getting desperate for you is it ? The way you lodged the comeback, by posting ambiguous stuff without any stats or reason to back it just proves that probably I managed to hurt your emotions/sentiments. Apologies if that happened. I dont take things personal, I just state what I think needs to be stated. The way you tried proving me wrong is the same way that the Nazis defended themselves in the Nuremberg trials. Vague and ambigious arguments with no hands or legs to it. Just saying that X is wrong to prove it anyhow means a lack of comprehension in the context of the argument.

We all know the way Ferrari played its cards in 2007 Vs 2010. Even the most staunch ferrari people will understand within their guts what I am saying here and not come back refuting eveything I said just for the sake of it only coz they have a weak defense mechanism ? Not really. Lets have a constructive discussion, that what wise men do.

#1910 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,849 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 17:37

as65p.

Now this is getting desperate for you is it ? The way you lodged the comeback, by posting ambiguous stuff without any stats or reason to back it just proves that probably I managed to hurt your emotions/sentiments. Apologies if that happened. I dont take things personal, I just state what I think needs to be stated. The way you tried proving me wrong is the same way that the Nazis defended themselves in the Nuremberg trials. Vague and ambigious arguments with no hands or legs to it. Just saying that X is wrong to prove it anyhow means a lack of comprehension in the context of the argument.

We all know the way Ferrari played its cards in 2007 Vs 2010. Even the most staunch ferrari people will understand within their guts what I am saying here and not come back refuting eveything I said just for the sake of it only coz they have a weak defense mechanism ? Not really. Lets have a constructive discussion, that what wise men do.

Godwins law:)

#1911 as65p

as65p

• 17,499 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 17:46

as65p.

So, you're calling "Nazi", that is your defense? :lol: Apart from being hilarious, and automatically considered an admission of defeat in civilized circles, I fear at this rate you won't be around celebrating Alonsos title with me, which would be a crying shame. :cry:

Guess it's never to late to start, so go ahead and give it a try then. Surprise me! :D

#1912 DonaldDuck

DonaldDuck

• 299 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 18:02

You seem to know. Studied law, Kvothe ?

#1913 DonaldDuck

DonaldDuck

• 299 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 18:04

So, you're calling "Nazi", that is your defense? :lol: Apart from being hilarious, and automatically considered an admission of defeat in civilized circles, I fear at this rate you won't be around celebrating Alonsos title with me, which would be a crying shame. :cry:

Guess it's never to late to start, so go ahead and give it a try then. Surprise me! :D

You clap with two hands not one. Anyways, all sights set for the second part. I am sure there will be a lot of constructive stuff going on here from this side of the desk. I would love to celebrate Alonso's titles with you, only if you could celebrate Raikkonen's with me.

#1914 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,512 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 18:10

FB: We are getting ready ..! Good feelings and can't wait to get into the car!

Posted Image

#1915 radosav

radosav

• 100 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 18:51

Posted Image

OMG! Run Alonso, run!
Run like hell!
There is DonaldDuck behind you!

#1916 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 19:06

Posted Image

Smart boy. Mountain bike is way more rewarding. Lovely route by the looks of it too.

Donaldboy, stop that please. Alonso is doing an awesome job, like it or not.

#1917 PedroR

PedroR

• 107 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 21:36

Well...lets see.

1. You are judging Fisichella only on his few races with Ferrari? Bad argument.

2. Alonso got 78 times on the podium, if we do not consider Singapore 2008.
In 33 of these podium arrivals, he started outside the first three, or >40% of the cases.
Schumacher in 28 races out of 155, Hamilton 12 of 47, Vettel 4 out of 49.
Not able to score massively without the outright fastest car??

3. Alonso won 6 out of 29 times (again without Singapore 2008) starting OUTSIDE the first three.
Schumacher 7 out of 91, Ham 2 of 19, Massa and Vettel NEVER.

I cannot understand how you ever came to the conclusion that he needs an outright fastest car to win the WDC.
He has not this car this year and leads the championship after more than half of the races....isn't that speaking about itself?

GREAT!!!! :up: :up: :up: :up:

#1918 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,592 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 21:38

Hahaha, class!

#1919 RedFury

RedFury

• 239 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 23:14

as65p.

Now this is getting desperate for you is it ? The way you lodged the comeback, by posting ambiguous stuff without any stats or reason to back it just proves that probably I managed to hurt your emotions/sentiments. Apologies if that happened. I dont take things personal, I just state what I think needs to be stated. The way you tried proving me wrong is the same way that the Nazis defended themselves in the Nuremberg trials. Vague and ambigious arguments with no hands or legs to it. Just saying that X is wrong to prove it anyhow means a lack of comprehension in the context of the argument....

Goodwin's Law in F1 -- thought I'd seen it all. Then again, took long enough.

Guess it takes a duck to speed things up....

Advertisement

#1920 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,455 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 23:25

As a Ferrari fan I don't care if FA never clinches the championship while driving a red car, he's been more of a hero for Ferrari in this last season and a half than Kimi will ever be. Championship or no championship.

#1921 BruisedLee

BruisedLee

• 100 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:02

:lol: :up:

#1922 HPT

HPT

• 1,171 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:17

The above stats can also be interpreted that Alonso is a poor qualifier, who comes into his own and maximises the car's potential only in the race.

Nevertheless, Good post. That shows that Fernando does a good job by maximising his potential. But he has not won a championship in the past 6 years when he had a championship winning car two times out of those six years. Since he is so good at maximising, his mistakes in the early part of 2010 will always haunt him and Ferrari for the rest of their relationship by not being able to emulate Raikkonen.

I think with that one sentence your true intention has showed. So you are one of those Kimi fans who are still bitter about the whole Alonso to Ferrari saga. No wonder you seem to be so critical of both of them. I think no one - not even the Alonso fans - care that Alonso didn't win the title in the first year with Ferrari as long as he wins one or more sometime down the line. I see a lot of Kimi fans bragging about winning the title for Ferrari in the first year as if there is some sort of legendary status attached to it. Sorry, I just don't see it. I guess that is the only thing Kimi fans can hang on to. Nevermind that he has only one title as long as he did it in his first year as a Ferrari driver. Damn, he's even better than Schumacher in that sense!

And yes, I don't think Alonso will emulate Kimi. I don't think Ferrari will want to kick him out so badly they are willing to pay big money to get rid of him.

#1923 DonaldDuck

DonaldDuck

• 299 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:43

Smart boy. Mountain bike is way more rewarding. Lovely route by the looks of it too.

Hahaha! Oh yes he is. I have nothing against him. Let's see how things shape up in the second half

#1924 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:28

well, it is questionable.
did Kimi gave title to Ferrari, or Ferrari gave title to Kimi?

Aren't you forgetting the obvious?

I'm as big a fan of Raikkonen as I'm Alonso's and feel that he deserved the title in '07, but if it hadn't been for McLaren's internal turf war they would have walked away with both championships. So I'm gonna have to say that Raikkonen was gifted the title by McLaren, even if he deserved it.

#1925 as65p

as65p

• 17,499 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:56

Aren't you forgetting the obvious?

I'm as big a fan of Raikkonen as I'm Alonso's and feel that he deserved the title in '07, but if it hadn't been for McLaren's internal turf war they would have walked away with both championships. So I'm gonna have to say that Raikkonen was gifted the title by McLaren, even if he deserved it.

I might add that he sepcially deserved that kind of gift coming from McLaren, given how there cars often let him down in earlier years.  ;)

#1926 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,050 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:30

Fernando is approaching to the 1.000.000 followers on twitter, quite remarkable if you take into consideration that his account is 6 months old.

Some numbers for comparison:

@LewisHamilton · 979.872 Follower · 10 November 2010
@alo_oficial · 981.985 Followers · 28 February 2012
@JensonButton · 1.079.192 Followers · 9 March 2009
@rubarrichello · 1.769.973 Followers · 18 June 2009

Edited by kosmos, 24 August 2012 - 09:31.

#1927 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:36

Fernando is approaching to the 1.000.000 followers on twitter, quite remarkable if you take into consideration that his account is 6 months old.

Some numbers for comparison:

@LewisHamilton · 979.872 Follower · 10 November 2010
@alo_oficial · 981.985 Followers · 28 February 2012
@JensonButton · 1.079.192 Followers · 9 March 2009
@rubarrichello · 1.769.973 Followers · 18 June 2009

I don't think Hamilton is very popular outside the UK. While Alonso has support from at least two countries: Spain and Italy also many fans in France I persume. And one crying boy

#1928 bspec

bspec

• 34 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:14

I have been following F1 for the year Alonso joined Ferrari. I'm not from the Europe (heart of F1) here is what I would like to add
For us here Schumi was fastest man on 4 wheels in Ferrari, who can't be beaten. man who raced fighter planes.
I still recall when he beat Schumi it all over the news like someone has achieved impossible in the world.

Edited by bspec, 24 August 2012 - 10:15.

#1929 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:18

No other driver is making as well like him!

His last twitter:

Fernando Alonso ‏@alo_oficial
The warrior does not say, words that denote weakness of mind. The depths of the heart is found even in small things...

#1930 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,796 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 13:50

Well, the Duck is Kimi Al Quaida, and as such nothing wrong with that but you can't take them seriously.

In my mind I think Kimi would possibly be better off with a bit of more level-headed Kimi-fans, but there you go and it's nothing new. I'm Swedish and as such I'm used to Kimi Al Quaida since Kimi made his debut in F1.

I'd say ignore is the best option here.

#1931 rsaca

rsaca

• 351 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 16:45

I have been following F1 for the year Alonso joined Ferrari. I'm not from the Europe (heart of F1) here is what I would like to add
For us here Schumi was fastest man on 4 wheels in Ferrari, who can't be beaten. man who raced fighter planes.
I still recall when he beat Schumi it all over the news like someone has achieved impossible in the world.

I agree.

I'm from Central America and have been following F1 since 1996-ish when Irvine and Schumacher were at Ferrari. For me, Schumacher was by far the best there ever was, no one could come close (apart from Mika for a couple of seasons).
When Alonso beat him, it was like bspec mentions, just something no one thought could happen! It was inconceivable someone could beat Schumi and that's when Alonso gathered momentum.

Nevertheless, Alonso has been performing on a whole another level as each season goes by. It's been an honor to watch him pull those performances out of the hat.

#1932 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,649 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 17:16

I love hearing these kind of stories, thanks for sharing rsaca & bspec :up:

#1933 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 19:53

+1 :up:

#1934 HPT

HPT

• 1,171 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:19

+2

#1935 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 429 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:55

Every experience that Alonso has gone through in F1 has only made him stronger and better.From being a test driver at Renault in 2002 after many impressive performances racing for Minardi in 2001,he developed better feedback and developement skills.2003 he's a race driver again and in only his 2nd race for Renault at Malaysia he gets Pole position and his 1st podium in the race.

His McLaren year only made him stronger during 2008 and 2009 at Renault.

What a treat it is to see him race for Ferrari since then.Even Enzo Ferrari and Gilles Villeneuve would be looking down from heaven and smiling when watching Alonso race.

What I don't understand is how some people think that Alonso has only recently become a great driver? Maybe he's just even More Complete than when he was complete.
In 2005/2006 Niki Lauda said he was the perfect driver with no weaknesses.

#1936 keiichi

keiichi

• 312 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:33

I guess Alonso is a reflexion of his experience of life (as we all are). He came from a place with no particular "racing pedigree" and always had to fought really hard his way up to F1. In F1 he started in a crappy team (no offense to Minardi), a situation on wich many drivers never manage to improve on and eventually get kicked out of F1. He was the one who finally put an end on Schumacher's hegemony, had a horrible year at Mclaren, got back to a midfield team and managed once again to get a top team seat.

The man really had to fight his way throughout his career and that trully reflects the driver he his. Always fighting even during the races that already seem lost at the start (ex: Valencia 2012), and call him what you want, but he's also one of those guys that's always extremely fair when fighting for a place, very seldomly getting into trouble.

I really love whatching F1, always have, I respect and enjoy watching every driver in general, and even though I have a few preferred drivers, these are the reasons why Alonso simply has to be my favourite.

#1937 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 13:09

....... these are the reasons why Alonso simply has to be my favourite.

:up:

Really nice to read posts like yours!

Fernando is one of the very great racers and still has time to become "THE ONE"!

Posted Image

Fernando Alonso Official

FERNANDO ALONSO 2012

Fernando on Facebook :)

Edited by puxanando, 25 August 2012 - 13:09.

#1938 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,433 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 14:03

Your hyperlinks are broken, girl.

#1939 cruck12

cruck12

• 30 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 14:30

There is a quote which IMO perfectly describes Fernando :
Greatness is not about possessing talent, it is in having the ability to summon the talent whenever needed. :)

He is the one of the very few drivers who has this ability, and that is what makes him the best.

Advertisement

#1940 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,796 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 14:39

I guess Alonso is a reflexion of his experience of life (as we all are). He came from a place with no particular "racing pedigree" and always had to fought really hard his way up to F1. In F1 he started in a crappy team (no offense to Minardi), a situation on wich many drivers never manage to improve on and eventually get kicked out of F1. He was the one who finally put an end on Schumacher's hegemony, had a horrible year at Mclaren, got back to a midfield team and managed once again to get a top team seat.

The man really had to fight his way throughout his career and that trully reflects the driver he his. Always fighting even during the races that already seem lost at the start (ex: Valencia 2012), and call him what you want, but he's also one of those guys that's always extremely fair when fighting for a place, very seldomly getting into trouble.

I really love whatching F1, always have, I respect and enjoy watching every driver in general, and even though I have a few preferred drivers, these are the reasons why Alonso simply has to be my favourite.

This + 1.

#1941 cpaqf1

cpaqf1

• 136 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 15:09

Every experience that Alonso has gone through in F1 has only made him stronger and better.From being a test driver at Renault in 2002 after many impressive performances racing for Minardi in 2001,he developed better feedback and developement skills.2003 he's a race driver again and in only his 2nd race for Renault at Malaysia he gets Pole position and his 1st podium in the race.

His McLaren year only made him stronger during 2008 and 2009 at Renault.

What a treat it is to see him race for Ferrari since then.Even Enzo Ferrari and Gilles Villeneuve would be looking down from heaven and smiling when watching Alonso race.

What I don't understand is how some people think that Alonso has only recently become a great driver? Maybe he's just even More Complete than when he was complete.
In 2005/2006 Niki Lauda said he was the perfect driver with no weaknesses.

couldn't agree more

#1942 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,050 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 15:14

Well said, it's a pity that some people will go to hell and back to deny his talent and achievements.

#1943 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 15:47

In F1 he started in a crappy team (no offense to Minardi), a situation on wich many drivers never manage to improve on and eventually get kicked out of F1.

Well his manager was Flavio Briatore, the team boss of Renault. Not quite the 'solitary warrior against the cruel world' you're trying to re-imagine his F1 beginnings as. He has since achieved great things, but let's not pretend being a team boss's protege is a rough path to take into F1. It's the easiest.

#1944 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,050 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 16:08

team boss's protege is a rough path to take into F1. It's the easiest.

...and this fact doesn`t nullify the fact that he and his family had a hard time from karting to F1, only his results put himself in Briatore's sight. Or do you think Briatore was doing charity with Alonso back then?.

#1945 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,512 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 16:22

He is a beast and when he has a good car, everybody is afraight of him

Posted Image

#1946 keiichi

keiichi

• 312 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 17:02

Well his manager was Flavio Briatore, the team boss of Renault. Not quite the 'solitary warrior against the cruel world' you're trying to re-imagine his F1 beginnings as. He has since achieved great things, but let's not pretend being a team boss's protege is a rough path to take into F1. It's the easiest.

Kosmos already replied that one for me. I would also like to add that regardless of having Briatore as his manager, had he underperformed at Minardi wich was pretty easy to happen, he would have been dumped faster than you can blink. It's not like he went into F1 straight to Renault, like happened between Hamilton and Mclaren (not trying to take any credit from Hamilton here). He still had to prove his worth at Minardi, so it's not as easy as you might want to paint it.

#1947 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,091 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:41

Goodwin's Law in F1 -- thought I'd seen it all. Then again, took long enough.

Guess it takes a duck to speed things up....

Yes, I think that topic that Goodwin predicts would never be seen around these quarters - too far out there.... Wrong!

Time for Spa....

#1948 BruisedLee

BruisedLee

• 100 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:18

It is not the easiest. There are much easier ways.

#1949 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,480 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:37

I don't normally post in here but as a webber fan if he can't win I'd like to see alonso win, he's definately one of those rare guys that belong in the 3XWDC club.

#1950 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:49

Alonso F1′s strongest driver now says Schumacher

Michael Schumacher has named Fernando Alonso the strongest active Formula One driver.

Schumacher, whose run of five consecutive titles was broken in 2005 by Spaniard Alonso’s Renault breakthrough, said the 2012 championship leader is developing “even beyond himself”.

“There are phases like that when everything seems to work out, but he has worked for it,” the great German said in an interview with Bild am Sonntag newspaper.

Web