Photo

Fernando Alonso - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4015 replies to this topic

#151 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:27

I agree Fernando is due some bad luck this year. I'm a huge Alonso fan but I believe he will get some bad luck that will result in a lower finishing order in the next races. Hope I'm wrong!

And just when people was saying all this statistics and he being due some bad luck was b*llshit, there you go... :drunk:

Advertisement

#152 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:34

And just when people was saying all this statistics and he being due some bad luck was b*llshit, there you go... :drunk:

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything but... :blush:

The reliability factor has decreased, but the strategy factor has increased.

Edited by prty, 11 June 2012 - 07:37.

#153 ZuTiMa

ZuTiMa

• 336 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:39

Canada was the first bad race by Fernando.

Why would you say that? please motivate.... as I believe he once again had a great race!!

#154 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:56

Yes but I would have expected him to give sufficient feedback to the team on how the tyres were feeling and his expectation regarding the strategy. Remember the last race at Monaco where LH was telling his race engineer that "at this pace, the tyres won't last the whole stint". Considering FA's significant experience and noting that he's always been very involved in strategy, asking whether the other drivers are and what the other teams are doing, I suspect that all that radio discussion in Spanish between his race engineer and him today was discussing strategy.

Andrea Stella was telling to ALO in Italian the gap between him and HAM . And right after the overtake, he did inform him how many seconds behind was Grosjean.

Edited by revlec, 11 June 2012 - 07:58.

#155 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:03

Why would you say that? please motivate.... as I believe he once again had a great race!!

Not a bad drive, but a bad race imho. So far Ferrari and Alonso were perfect in collecting the maximum points possible and taking calculated risks. This time they gambled on a win and threw away a 3rd place (at least).

#156 ZuTiMa

ZuTiMa

• 336 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:08

Not a bad drive, but a bad race imho. So far Ferrari and Alonso were perfect in collecting the maximum points possible and taking calculated risks. This time they gambled on a win and threw away a 3rd place (at least).

Doesn't the bold part say it all?.... we were in a position to be able to even consider taking a gamble with the possibility for a win? .... that in itself says to me there is a confidence in the team we haven't seen in awhile.

#157 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:19

Strangely Alonso didn't seem frustrated or annoyed at all in the post-race interviews. Also surprising at their strategy falling apart since Ferrari have shown to have relatively sound strategy this year.

ALO didn't seem frustrated because Stella and him had a discussion in (Italian) about the tyres in the last stint and HE(ALO) decided with his engineer to try to make it to the end without another pit stop.

#158 Henrik B

Henrik B

• 2,705 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:08

ALO didn't seem frustrated because Stella and him had a discussion in (Italian)

Okay, I guess this is as good a thread as any to ask - isn't there some provision in the regulations that all radio communication must be in English? I thought I'd heard that somewhere - for TV production and stewarding reasons.

#159 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:12

Okay, I guess this is as good a thread as any to ask - isn't there some provision in the regulations that all radio communication must be in English? I thought I'd heard that somewhere - for TV production and stewarding reasons.

I was surprised myself to be honest. May be they didn't want the other teams to understand what they were discussing? don't know..

Advertisement

#160 Starlight

Starlight

• 183 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:12

Strangely Alonso didn't seem frustrated or annoyed at all in the post-race interviews. Also surprising at their strategy falling apart since Ferrari have shown to have relatively sound strategy this year.

Probably because the car has been the most competitive since the start of the season and cos he can now genuinely fight for wins.

For the first time this year, we have not just been trying to limit the damage, in that we were actually aiming for the win. It’s a positive sign and now we must confirm it at Valencia and Silverstone. We are definitely returning home with more confidence in our chances, because this was the most significant step forward we have made in terms of car development for a long time.

Source

I think they needed to explore the limits of the car a little. I know its costly to do it in a race but I rather they do it now instead of later at more crucial stages. I dont think they will be repeating this mistake in a hurry.

Edited by Starlight, 12 June 2012 - 02:55.

#161 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,667 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:03

Interview with Sky from last race.

#162 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:22

Interview with Sky from last race.

:clap: He is such a graet driver & person also!

#163 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:57

It was greatperformance from Ferrari, naturally the pace was great, so for fure there are more to come.
But in some way or the other it reminded me of the final race at Abudhabi. It is because the strategy got it somehow wrong. A point to reflect. it could have been better. If this were the last race of the season, we wil lbe gutted like mad man... OK, it is not ;-)

#164 RedWull

RedWull

• 120 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 14:52

I think it was a bad race bcause he and Ferrari started to gamble.

Yes but you said it was a bad race by FA and your initial post implied that he drove poorly. At the most I would criticise him for not judging the fall off grip correctly. Other than that, in terms of driving i.e pace, traffic management, mistakes etc no problem at all.

#165 RedWull

RedWull

• 120 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 14:54

Andrea Stella was telling to ALO in Italian the gap between him and HAM . And right after the overtake, he did inform him how many seconds behind was Grosjean.

Sorry my mistake. I don't understand either language and was relying purely on the SpeedTV commentators who mentioned it was Spanish. As I understand, there are great similarities between the two languages?

#166 MP422

MP422

• 1,809 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 17:23

Hard for me to argue against that.

#167 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,370 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 18:45

http://plus.autospor...es-at-montreal/

Sorry if this has been posted already (I dont see it on this page), but the Fernando quotes really made me laugh. He's a funny bloke!

Vettel was asked about all his helmet designs, but was in a rush to watch Germay's football match so he kept his answer short:

Sitting alongside him, Fernando Alonso moved quickly to joke that he was now going to force Vettel to miss the football.

"As Seb, I think, wants to go, I will give you a very long answer now, starting from my go kart helmet…"

Alonso was later asked what would have happened if Spain had beaten Italy in their Euro 2012 match that started just before the grand prix.

"If Spain wins, I think there may not be many people at the pitstop…

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Edited by Crazy Ninja, 11 June 2012 - 18:45.

#168 Starlight

Starlight

• 183 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:02

Maybe this time, we can use a number, number 19 in fact, which is how many consecutive races the Spaniard has finished in the top ten. The last time he failed to score actually goes back to last year’s race in Canada and since then, Fernando has won two races, finished second five times, third four times, fourth three times, fifth three times and seventh and ninth once, picking up a total of 274 points. Since he came to Maranello, Fernando has only failed to finish in the points four times from 45 starts and has scored an average of 13.22 points per race.

Source

Lets hope that the success continues and he goes for the record!! :clap: IIRC, someone mentioned that its held by MS and its 24 successive finishes in the top ten?

#169 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:57

Sorry my mistake. I don't understand either language and was relying purely on the SpeedTV commentators who mentioned it was Spanish. As I understand, there are great similarities between the two languages?

Yes, in fact Italians and Spaniards can understand each other while speaking their native languages, a bit like Swedes and Norweigans.

#170 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:36

Yes, in fact Italians and Spaniards can understand each other while speaking their native languages, a bit like Swedes and Norweigans.

Well, you miss bits of information but you pretty much get what they're saying if they talk slow

#171 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,667 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:39

3rd twitter interview coming, you can send your questions to @alo_oficial.

#172 Henrik B

Henrik B

• 2,705 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 13:36

Read the full interview and timing breakdown from FA. There's a lot of logic in his explanation. After reading his interview, I'm actually impressed with his and Ferrari's thinking. They quickly realised that pitting after LH would have meant a 4th anyway so they decided to gamble for a win and it didn't work out putting them in 5th. That's an acceptable risk/reward scenario. The potential gain was far greater than the potential loss, from the reference point of where they would be had they pitted with LH.

A bit late replying to this, sorry, but if Ferrari says that they are wrong. They would have finished second if they had pitted after Lewis. Possibly first, since Lewis had a dodgy pitstop AND with tyres not warming up properly everyone was a bit slow on the first lap, which actually meant for the first time this season it was beneficial to go one lap longer than your rival. I'm not 100% sure of the gap though, it could have been too little.

The Alonso quotes I've seen are a bit... well, not exactly right. ""I don't agree that it was the wrong strategy. Grosjean nearly won the race with one stop, so one stop was the right strategy," he said. "If I stopped behind Hamilton I would finish second behind Hamilton, but if I had the degradation of Grosjean, I would have won the race"

One stop was the right strategy IF you had planned for it and stopped at the right time AND you have luck with traffic (which admittedly all strategies require). Stopping early and expecting to drive 75% of the race on one set was clearly NOT the right strategy. Of course with hindsight, but everyone who saw Kimis race in China (and I believe Ferrari was present) knows what happens when you try to go too long and the risks involved. It's not a degradation issue, it's a strategy issue. At that point in the race there was several other cars who had already had their tyres die, so it wasn't unknown that it could happen.

#173 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,667 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 14:27

Do you guy remember that Fernando said that the aim for Monaco, Canada and Valencia was to get 50 points?, so far he has 25, so a win is needed to reach that target, we don't have a clue about which car will be good in Valencia, but if fell that we should be happy if he reach 40 points but let's hope the F2012 is the best car there and everything goes smooth.

#174 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,189 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 18:47

The season is looking good for Alonso.

He´s driving well, Ferrari is able to fight for poles and be consistently near the front grid positions, and in the race they have longer tyre live than RB and McLaren. I think he´s the main favourite right now.

#175 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 19:02

I dont think they will be repeating this mistake in a hurry.

It wasn't a mistake.

It was a calculated, thought-out, discussed gamble.

Rolling The Dice isn't the same as a silly/stupid error.

This strategy gamble is a far cry from not having 1 litre of fuel in your car at the end of Q3 which sends you to 24th on the grid from the front row!

I'd rather see Ferrari/Alonso taking these risks than them making the type of mistakes that McLaren have made on Hamilton's side of the garage in 2012, to be fair.

#176 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 20:25

Posted Image

Rob Smedley was previously track engineer for Alonso ‬ ‪ in F3000 :eek:

#177 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 20:35

Posted Image

Rob Smedley was previously track engineer for Alonso ‬ ‪ in F3000 :eek:

Holy sh*t!

#178 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 20:38

You didn't know it? :D
Since he joined F1 he made clear whenever asked that he didn't like his engineer in F3000... only to end up working with him in Ferrari 10 years later!

#179 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 20:43

Since he joined F1 he made clear whenever asked that he didn't like his engineer in F3000... only to end up working with him in Ferrari 10 years later!

Is this true? He don't like Smedley? Where did he said something like that?

Advertisement

#180 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 21:11

Is this true? He don't like Smedley? Where did he said something like that?

Already in his first interviews in F1, when being asked about F3000.
If you see his results there, they are very different in the first and second half of the season.
He explained that "his engineer" would come with a notebook that said something like "test change of damper X to Y", he suggested to do something else as it would be more important, but "his engineer" would look at him, look at the notebook, and tell the others "OK, we are changing damper X to Y". He was so fed up that in mid season he gave an ultimatum, as in change the modus operandi or he'd leave. They changed it, and the results improved. I think this was in some SER interview, when he also talked about confusing Hakkinen with Tarso Marques in the mirrors, and thinking that Tarso was really fast.

Edit: After a bit of a search, found it, it's a very nice read, from 2001:

http://entrevistasfe...so-f1esnet.html

F1Es.NET: ¿Qué pasó en Astromega? Me refiero al tema de los reglajes, ingenieros, etc, porque según tengo entendido había diferencias de opinión

FA: Bueno…había problemas, terminaba 9º, 10º salía el 15º , el 16º al principio de temporada. El coche se iba de delante en cada curva, y llegaba, frenaba y frenaba despacio por que sabia que sino me salía, giraba y entraba y se iba de delante. Y estos ingleses de Astromega eran “muy burros”.

Tenían el programa de las pruebas que iban hacer, y entonces sabían el muelle que iban a cambiar, la barra… Entonces, llegaba, les decía, “se va de delante”, y ellos iban miraban el programa…”cambiar muelle”…y es que lo traían escrito de casa…si se va de delante…cambiar barra no se qué…

Ellos cambiaban lo que ponía en el programa y el coche no cambiaba nada. Y nada, se lo decíamos una vez y otra. No puede ser así, iría muy bien el año pasado pero para mi estilo de conducción o lo que sea…yo no corro así… y nada nada nada. A partir de la 5ª carrera dijimos –mira, o salimos de otra forma o yo no corro más este año— porque no servia para nada, había otro equipo con el que podía correr con ellos. En esa carrera dijeron “bueno, salimos como vosotros queráis”.

Entonces con el ingeniero dijimos, bien, este muelle fue el que nos fue bien en Imola, blabl. Hicimos el coche un poco más neutro. Salí a la crono e hice 3º…y bueno ahí se quedaron un poco... Lo único fue que se rompió en carrera la bomba de la gasolina. A partir de ahí, en Alemania hice 6º en crono y me salí cuando iba 4º en agua, en Hungria hice 2º y en Spa gané.

F1Es.NET: Lo comento por el tema este de que muchas veces escuchamos “que le ha cerrado”, “que le ha visto venir por dentro”, etc, etc…

FA: Visualmente lo que ves es una mancha, es como una flor...roja, azul…depende del coche, pero no distingues los esponsors, ni el casco. Si los pilotos llevan un casco muy diferenciado, los ves.

Schumacher y Barrichello, por ejemplo, todo rojo con un punto azul…Barrichello. Y muchas veces, el Mclaren se confundía con el Minardi por el espejo. Como nosotros teníamos blanco ahí, negro por aquí y ellos gris, gris oscuro y negro, pues muchas veces decía yo, “Ahí viene Tarso…¡¡¡y como viene Tarso!!!”

Sorry, it's too much to translate, try with google translator.

Edited by prty, 15 June 2012 - 21:23.

#181 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,667 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:09

The second quote is not related to the matter. In the first quote he didn't said anything bad about Smedley, it was more than anything that the team didn't listen to his feedback.

#182 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:47

Already in his first interviews in F1, when being asked about F3000.
If you see his results there, they are very different in the first and second half of the season.
He explained that "his engineer" would come with a notebook that said something like "test change of damper X to Y", he suggested to do something else as it would be more important, but "his engineer" would look at him, look at the notebook, and tell the others "OK, we are changing damper X to Y". He was so fed up that in mid season he gave an ultimatum, as in change the modus operandi or he'd leave. They changed it, and the results improved. I think this was in some SER interview, when he also talked about confusing Hakkinen with Tarso Marques in the mirrors, and thinking that Tarso was really fast.

Edit: After a bit of a search, found it, it's a very nice read, from 2001:

http://entrevistasfe...so-f1esnet.html

Sorry, it's too much to translate, try with google translator.

Thx a lot for all this info :up:

#183 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,587 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:00

The second quote is not related to the matter. In the first quote he didn't said anything bad about Smedley, it was more than anything that the team didn't listen to his feedback.

Thanks for clarifying that, it's annoying when that kind of info gets lost in translation.

#184 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:29

Yeah well, I said that out of memory from something I read in 2005. He doesnt address Smedley explicitly, but who else can be the person who proposes a set up change after the drivers feedback, other than his engineer? He was critizising that person/s.

Edit: Got a bit of time now so I'll translate it:

Q: What happened in Astromega? I mean, the set up subject, engineers, etc. Because according to what I have understood, there were differences of opinion.

FA: Well.. there were problems, I was finishing 9th, 10th, was starting 15th and 16th at the beginning of the season. The car had understeer in every corner: I arrived to the corner, braked softly as I knew I would go off otherwise, I turned in, and it had understeer. And these Englishmen from Astromega were very "burros" [Adjective that refers to someone who use brute force without attending to external stimuli]

The had the test program they were going to do, and so they knew which spring or bar they were going to change. Then, I arrived, and told them "I get understeer", and they looked at the program... "change spring if it's understeery"... which is what they had written from home... "change whatever bar".

They changed what the program said and the car didn't change at all. We told them again and again, and nothing. It can't be like that, maybe it would work very well last year, but because my driving style or whatever it didn't work, I was refusing to drive like that... and nothing, nothing, nothing. From 5th race onwards, we said "look, we either approach this in a different way or I will not drive anymore this year" - because it was no use, and there was another team I could drive for. In that race they said "OK, we'll race however you want".

Then with the engineer we said: "OK, this spring worked well in Imola", and so on. We made the car a bit more neutral. I went out to qualifying and did a 3rd. And well, after seeing that they were a bit... The only thing is that the fuel pump broke in the race. From there on, in Germany I finished 6th in qualifying, ran off the track when I was running 4th in a wet track, in Hungary I did 2nd, and won in Spa.

Edited by prty, 17 June 2012 - 09:14.

#185 Alondra

Alondra

• 131 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:56

Yeah well, I said that out of memory from something I read in 2005. He doesnt address Smedley explicitly, but who else can be the person who proposes a set up change after the drivers feedback, other than his engineer? He was critizising that person/s.

He wasn't. He critized the system, not the person. He mentioned "burros" in plural, ie, incompetents.

Personally I found the interview a great read but would not draw assurances from it that Alonso doesn't like Smedley. It was a different time, different cars, different process.....everything.

I love reading the interview for what it was - a candid snapshot of Fernando's driver's development.

#186 revmeister

revmeister

• 213 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:46

Makes one wonder if Massa could use a new engineer.

#187 sultanofhyd

sultanofhyd

• 35 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:49

And Alonso barely spoke any English at that time, so it's understandable that his communication with his engineers was less than desirable.

#188 RedWull

RedWull

• 120 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 14:18

Makes one wonder if Massa could use a new engineer.

And there are some LH fans wishing Smedley would become LH's race engineer. Reminds me of that old adage "Careful what you wish for"! :lol:

#189 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,241 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 14:56

You would first have to mandate that all drivers must be able to speak English. I know most can, but I don't believe there are any rules regarding it.

#190 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 15:00

And there are some LH fans wishing Smedley would become LH's race engineer. Reminds me of that old adage "Careful what you wish for"! :lol:

Cant think of anything worse.

#191 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,997 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 17:26

And now Rob Smedley, instead of bossing around Fernando Alonso, is bossing around Felipe Baby! I always found that guy quite suspect!

#192 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 17:38

@alo_oficial
I see that mondays are hard for everyone! I think we need more laughs those days! "FF" (follow fridays) on fridays, "CM" (joke mondays) on mondays...ok?

Now he's twitting jokes and retweeting jokes from others... :rotfl:

Since he joined twitter he went from being a villain to being a very down to earth guy... :up:

#193 HPT

HPT

• 1,159 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 18:50

Now he's twitting jokes and retweeting jokes from others... :rotfl:

Since he joined twitter he went from being a villain to being a very down to earth guy... :up:

I've always found him to be down to earth. I remember when he won his first WDC, he was asked how being a world champion with newfound fame and money changed his life. He replied that he knows he's living in a bubble and all this isn't real, and that one day the bubble will disappear and yet he has to remain the same person he's always been. I've read this interview several times but I can't find the link now. For someone who was only 24 at that time, I think that is pretty grounded and down to earth.

#194 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 1,336 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:39

I've always found him to be down to earth. I remember when he won his first WDC, he was asked how being a world champion with newfound fame and money changed his life. He replied that he knows he's living in a bubble and all this isn't real, and that one day the bubble will disappear and yet he has to remain the same person he's always been. I've read this interview several times but I can't find the link now. For someone who was only 24 at that time, I think that is pretty grounded and down to earth.

I remember that too. I think iI read it in F1 Racing mag. ( Dec, 2005 issue)

#195 908T

908T

• 174 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 13:24

It is reported Ecclestone was hit directly on his left cheek with the succulent rare steak before calling Alonso a ‘Spanish Pig’ and accusing him of starting Sunday’s fire in the Williams garage in Barcelona.

:confused:

http://www.f1banter....e-me-night.html

#196 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,203 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 13:30

You know this is a joke right?

You see their other title?

'Hamilton accidentally shrunk in the wash'

Lewis Hamilton was revealed to the press yesterday after being accidentally shrunk in the wash during a routine laundry day at McLaren HQ.

Hamilton, now 3ft 4inches, was revealed to the press standing next to an average height China-man ahead of this weekend’s GP in Shanghai. The former world champion described the incident as a ‘setback’ but remained positive ahead of the weekend’s race, despite also receiving a 5 place grid penalty for a last minute change of gearbox.

Edited by bonjon1979a, 19 June 2012 - 13:31.

#197 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,734 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 13:31

F1banter is a humor column. It is a joke. :smoking:

edit: Looks like bonjon uses his DRS to post quicker than me.

Edited by Watkins74, 19 June 2012 - 13:32.

#198 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,203 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 13:34

Slow day in the office!

#199 908T

908T

• 174 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 13:36

Really a joke? But there was the Williams fire and also Hamilton looks smaller now. Or maybe not?? :confused: :confused:

Advertisement

#200 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,160 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 13:36

You mean Alguersuari isn't Pirelli's official bitch? :o

Edited by Brandz07, 19 June 2012 - 13:37.