• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4015 replies to this topic

#1951 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,631 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:21

Alonso F1′s strongest driver now says Schumacher

Web

Thanks for the link, coming from Schumi it means a lot. It's me or he is implying that Vettel is a bad loser?, we already know that but coming from him.. it's a little surprising because friendship and all.

Advertisement

#1952 DonaldDuck

DonaldDuck

• 299 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:48

Thanks for the link, coming from Schumi it means a lot. It's me or he is implying that Vettel is a bad loser?, we already know that but coming from him.. it's a little surprising because friendship and all.

Schumacher is honest here. Seb is still maturing, would be interesting to see hsi development next year and year after if he doesnt win titles. Alonso has seen the best and the worst days, something Seb has not. And Alonso has matured from his Mclaren and Renault days, pounded the energy for titles with Ferrari, and now he is in the driving seat.

#1953 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,544 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:30

Fernando is having an AMAZING season, on top of 1 1/2 years of AMAZING DRIVING before that, but I do wonder how he deals with all the gushing praise he's receiving from...well...EVERYWHERE, except for a few elements on this and other forums.

Alonso is as professional and cool as they come, but with so many people saying you are the best -- maybe EVER-- I think he really needs to guard against believing his own press clippings.

#1954 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,459 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 16:34

In a big BILD interview Michael Schumacher was asked who is currently the best driver and the answer was

"Fernando Alonso. He just grew over himself. There are times when all comes to just one - but you have to work hard for it. And he did".

Edited by jstrains, 27 August 2012 - 16:34.

#1955 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,163 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 17:26

Please keep 2007 out of this thread, every time it has been brought up it has led to posts being removed as the posts more often than not do not belong here and end up running around in circles.

Thank you.

#1956 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,099 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 19:42

Posts have been deleted, when a moderator politely asks you to stay on topic, you are advised to do so.

Next one who ignores D.M.N.s nice instruction gets benched for the weekend (at least).

You have now ALL been clearly told what will occur should this off-topic nonsense keep re-appearing here. Go to the appropriate thread if you really MUST debate history.

Thank you.
MM

#1957 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,426 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:00

2007 stuff moved. Those who ignored the moderation above will be hearing from us shortly.

#1958 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,631 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:15

Alonso a step ahead of all rivals says Fisichella

“incredible how he (Alonso) judges the limit of the car, the track and the tyres."

“He knows when to attack and when to look after the tyres. He is always on the limit of what he can and should be."

“At the moment he is quite a step ahead of his rivals. He is always achieving the most of what is possible and I don’t think there is anyone who can do a better job than him,” he added."

Another of Alonso’s strengths, said Fisichella, is the way he has rallied the troops at Maranello around him.

“He is very close to the team,” said the Italian. “He is frequently at Maranello, with the mechanics, playing football with them, going out to dinner with them, cycling with them.

“The human aspect is very important in formula one. The mechanics need to see someone who is good, who is fast, but they also need to feel a friendship.”

#1959 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 839 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:01

Alonso is in good mood, apparently, replying to fans on Twitter, currently, as well as some retweets :)

Advertisement

#1960 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,631 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:45

Cool Lego/Shell TV commercial with Fernando, Felipe and Stefano. :lol:

#1961 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:40

Alonso currently enjoying the wave of favour that championship leaders typically enjoy. Vettel who enjoyed a similar wave last year is a nobody now, it seems. :smoking: There's just not much mention of the current F1 champion!

I agree with Michael's comments though. I think a lot of Alonso's current praise has been deserved for a long time before this year.

#1962 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,544 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:48

I think the part from Fisichella about how Alonso is close to the team, is what separates him from the other drivers. You NEVER hear Fernando criticize Ferrari...even when things had gone horribly wrong at the start, or after the debacle in Abu Dhabi in 2010. I believe the mechanics and management really appreciate that attitude and loyalty, and will do everything to repay that this year, and the years ahead.

When people criticize Alonso for having #1 status at Ferrari, I won't deny it. But I don't think it's written into any contract or was promised by LdM, but was earned through his superior performances and genuine friendship. :cool:

#1963 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:08

When people criticize Alonso for having #1 status at Ferrari, I won't deny it. But I don't think it's written into any contract or was promised by LdM, but was earned through his superior performances and genuine friendship. :cool:

All number 1 status' are ultimately earned... no? However, unlike what some seem to feel, it can be lost just as it was earned. This is more possible in the larger teams which can genuinely field two equal cars with equal opportunity for both drivers in terms of upgrades etc.

Massa who did so well in 2008 is consistently in the shadow of Alonso. Massa also enjoys a lot of support from Ferrari and his engineers. There's no reason to feel that his racing is being compromised barring championship deciding race position changes. Apart from Hockenheim 2010, this latter issue has never arisen. This has a lot to do with why Alonso is being praised so much. I don't see Massa so easily losing his race seat. There's no reason to feel that any of the alternatives will come along and definitely do a better job than he is doing.

Edited by ali_M, 28 August 2012 - 12:13.

#1964 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,580 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:30

All number 1 status' are ultimately earned... no? However, unlike what some seem to feel, it can be lost just as it was earned. This is more possible in the larger teams which can genuinely field two equal cars with equal opportunity for both drivers in terms of upgrades etc.

Massa who did so well in 2008 is consistently in the shadow of Alonso. Massa also enjoys a lot of support from Ferrari and his engineers. There's no reason to feel that his racing is being compromised barring championship deciding race position changes. Apart from Hockenheim 2010, this latter issue has never arisen. This has a lot to do with why Alonso is being praised so much. I don't see Massa so easily losing his race seat. There's no reason to feel that any of the alternatives will come along and definitely do a better job than he is doing.

Fully agree

#1965 schubacca

schubacca

• 796 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 13:01

MS is rating FA as the best current driver on the grid.

I cannot argue with his assessment...

#1966 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 14:46

A one-man mission? Ferrari’s mid-season report

What Alonso has achieved this year has been remarkable. The drivers’ title is more than within his reach, but in terms of the constructors’ crown, he can’t do it alone. He needs his car - and his team mate - to work with him.

WEB

#1967 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 21:15

short interview - Spa

#1968 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,544 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 21:21

I agree with you. Desperate critics castigate Fernando, mentioning Santander money or Germany 2010 for creating the hierarchy at Ferrari, but we saw from 2008 with Kimi and Felipe, that being #1 in a team is not a birthright. It must be earned continuously through on-track performance and team leadership or it can be lost. Felipe certainly has the opportunity to challenge Alonso next season as team leader, for example, (if he's renewed), I just don't think he or many other driver's on the grid have the ABILITY to challenge him.

Same was true for Senna, Prost and Schumacher Phase One. They deliver the goods time and time again. :)

#1969 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,544 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:44

More accolades for Alonso's first half of 2012. Croft Praise For Alonso.

"But if Alonso keeps up his consistency both in terms of picking up the points and driving pretty flawlessly during the course of the race it's going to be pretty difficult for somebody to overtake him."

"His car was three seconds off the pace in pre-season testing. Ferrari didn't even allow reporters to talk to their drivers because their drivers had nothing positive to say. But he turned up in Spain saying, right, we know we're not the best, we just have to pick up whatever points we can and get to the test, develop the car, sort it out in the test and then go for podiums and wins. He'd thought it through already."

"...he thinks the long game all the time. After Mark Webber beat him at Silverstone was he upset, was he unhappy, was he down heartened? Maybe a little bit inside but outwardly he's saying 'no, I've given seven points away to my nearest rival - only seven points..."

"I'll prepare myself for a massive fall here, I think we'll get it wrapped up (The Championship) before Austin - so before the penultimate race. I could be wrong but I've just got a feeling that Alonso's going to win it and I've had that feeling since Malaysia to be honest."

Edited by PoleMan, 29 August 2012 - 02:45.

#1970 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,983 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:32

More accolades for Alonso's first half of 2012. Croft Praise For Alonso.

"...he thinks the long game all the time. After Mark Webber beat him at Silverstone was he upset, was he unhappy, was he down heartened? Maybe a little bit inside but outwardly he's saying 'no, I've given seven points away to my nearest rival - only seven points..."

This ability (thinking the long game) is what most differentiates Alonso from other drivers. He predicts results, scans competitors and drives against them (like this season driving against Hamilton and Vettel when their results do not always warrant it) in his mind over the whole season. He works with numbers and points and puts them together and has a pretty realistic grasp on what is going to happen (I became first fully aware of this in his second half of 2010, but the signs were there probably already in 2005 and 2006). And then he produces races like Monza 2007, delivering when the internal and external pressures are extremely high.

We might just stand at the beginning of an era Alonso/Ferrari and witness another great of the sport with historic proportions being crafted. His mind power and visionary ability for sure qualify him for that.

#1971 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:27

Alonso on twitter today:

Fernando Alonso ‏@alo_oficial
Hellooooo!! This morning final training for the neck, simulator, and this afternoon... Packing another suitcase..! We are ready!! #spaAlo

#1972 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:52

I think the part from Fisichella about how Alonso is close to the team, is what separates him from the other drivers. You NEVER hear Fernando criticize Ferrari...even when things had gone horribly wrong at the start, or after the debacle in Abu Dhabi in 2010. I believe the mechanics and management really appreciate that attitude and loyalty, and will do everything to repay that this year, and the years ahead.

Thats because Ferrari are probably doing everything single thing he demands.

Compare to Renault when he was ranting and raving at the team.
Repeated when he went to McLaren.

The only reason he is behaving at Ferrari because he knows he's got no other top teams left to go to, in the last chance saloon and has no title for 5 years now.

#1973 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:17

But I don't think it's written into any contract or was promised by LdM, but was earned through his superior performances and genuine friendship. :cool:

After his experience with Hamilton I'm quite sure it's written in his contract - infact I personally think it's the first thing he demands in a new contract post Hamilton.

#1974 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,631 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:19

Let's judge Alonso run at Renault by one or two isolated event :drunk:

The only reason he is behaving at Ferrari because he knows he's got no other top teams left to go to, in the last chance saloon and has no title for 5 years now.

You will be surprised at how many people in McLaren would be happy to have him back, but he don't need a top team to shine, so he will be fine in a midfield team, he will made them champions like he did with Renault :smoking:

After his experience with Hamilton I'm quite sure it's written in his contract - infact I personally think it's the first thing he demands in a new contract post Hamilton.

First half of 2010 proof that your stament is nonsense.

The races are back, the nonsensical bashers are back, I like it :up:

Edited by kosmos, 29 August 2012 - 10:21.

#1975 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:26

You are sure? You think?

So what? Many other people think different.

Alonso is where he is and has the points he has of his own and not of anything written in his contract.

#1976 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,544 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:18

Hi Zool!

I'm sure you're not one of those "Desperate Critics" I referred to in my post above. :lol:

Look, I get it! You and some others are beyond annoyed by all the kudos Alonso is receiving from fellow competitors and pundits, alike. I'm very sorry for you. :( But Fernando is considered the Primo Pilot by just about every team in the pit lane due to the fact he's leading the championship with a car that has never shown itself to be outright fastest all season. Ferrari LOVE him because he's extracted performance from their cars the past few years they have not thought was possible. But somehow you've twisted Alonso's UNPARALLELED PERFORMANCE this year into him being UNWANTED by any other Top Team in the Pit Lane. :confused: I think we should just leave your sheer brilliance of thought to stand (or fall) on its own! :kiss:

#1977 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:32

... and why would they do everything he demands?

As to 'behaving at Ferrari'.... what an amusing point of view?

I too find the praise over the top and find it annoying at times when he's getting the sort of praise that he should have been receiving since 2006 and even before then. If Alonso fails to deliver with his team next year, he could quickly lose his 'most complete driver' status to the championship leader for the year, whether it be Hamilton, Button, Vettel, Michael or whoever...

Conventional wisdom swings quite a lot in tandem with the colourful, melodramatic media.

Edited by ali_M, 29 August 2012 - 12:33.

#1978 crespo

crespo

• 487 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 13:33

People, the best way to deal with obvious flame bait is to ignore it. It doesn't exist. It isn't there.

Back on track: Alonso's twitter feed is still awesome. He's been directly replying to more fans' questions lately. The man really is in his comfort zone right now, and hopefully that won't change for the rest of his Ferrari days. Forza!

#1979 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,909 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 22:29

Read Alonso's interview in F1 racing today, really good read, would recommend it.

Was asked what life is lime at Ferrari compared to McLaren.
He said: they both exist to win, and both have different ways to do it, but you can guess which one has more warmth. :cool:

Said Ron Dennis wasn't on his Christmas card list when asked. Thought that was a bit of a troll question.

Was asked a really good question about how he keeps the tyres right, and says he doesn't use them too much at the start of stints.

For other questions I have forgotten (sorry) and analysis by Alan Permaine, Stefano, GA and many other the mag is brilliant, and one of the best issues.

Advertisement

#1980 LH08WDC

LH08WDC

• 559 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:56

Before F1 resumes from the long break, I'd just like to again point out what a fantastic driver Alonso has been this year. Before the season started I said that I hoped Ferrari would fix their truck of a car so Fernando could win his long overdue third crown. As it turned out, he didn't need an ultra competitive car. As a big Hamilton fan, I hope Lewis wins the championship this year, but I would feel very happy if Fernando pulls it off. Good luck for the second half guys!

#1981 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,580 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:11

Before F1 resumes from the long break, I'd just like to again point out what a fantastic driver Alonso has been this year. Before the season started I said that I hoped Ferrari would fix their truck of a car so Fernando could win his long overdue third crown. As it turned out, he didn't need an ultra competitive car. As a big Hamilton fan, I hope Lewis wins the championship this year, but I would feel very happy if Fernando pulls it off. Good luck for the second half guys!

:up: Same to you my friend

#1982 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:23

Alonso hoping for wet conditions

"When your car is competitive and you are good in that weekend, maybe a dry race is better because it is more consistent," he said during a media event with Shell on Thursday.

"If you are quick you are 99 per cent [likely to be] on the podium, which would be a good result already for us.

"If you are not competitive, I am sure the wet conditions are a help because you can do more, like choose the right tyre in the right moment.

"At the moment, I don't know [which would be best], but looking at this year's championships, maybe a wet race is better for us."

#1983 Andromeda

Andromeda

• 390 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:47

Ferrari should be fighting for a win if the race is wet but if the race is dry it doesn't look like Alonso is so optimistic about winning the race. I don't blame him if the conditions at Belgium are dry this weekend McLaren are going to look very beefy

#1984 rt99

rt99

• 180 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:03

Utter garbage.
Alonso turned down Brawn and Red Bull where he had open invitations (and with hindsight would have won a couple more WDCs) to wait for Ferrari ( after Jean Todt tied in Massa before leaving as a reward for being schumacher's lap dog, something Massa isnt for Alonso)

Edited by rt99, 30 August 2012 - 12:04.

#1985 rt99

rt99

• 180 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:08

That explains why Ferrari cost Alonso points in his first year (In AUS iirc ? ), by not pulling Massa over like they did for schumacher.
Alonso's constant tune of "nobody is bigger than Ferrari" is probably more of a dig that he doesn't get the schumacher treatment. If he was able to make those demands, he would never sing that tune.

Edited by rt99, 30 August 2012 - 12:08.

#1986 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,233 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:12

Utter garbage.
Alonso turned down Brawn and Red Bull where he had open invitations (and with hindsight would have won a couple more WDCs) to wait for Ferrari ( after Jean Todt tied in Massa before leaving as a reward for being schumacher's lap dog, something Massa isnt for Alonso)

Personally I think he turned down those drives because he didn't realise their potential. What driver in their right mind would have moved to Brawn in 2009? And RB hadn't really shown what they were going to become at that stage.

#1987 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,983 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:14

That explains why Ferrari cost Alonso points in his first year (In AUS iirc ? ), by not pulling Massa over like they did for schumacher.
Alonso's constant tune of "nobody is bigger than Ferrari" is probably more of a dig that he doesn't get the schumacher treatment. If he was able to make those demands, he would never sing that tune.

In all sincerity - Fernando does not need to get the Schumacher treatment. And I don't think that Alonso would have ever had any problems holding Irvine, Barrichello and Massa at bay. Come to think of it, in the intra-team comparison Fernando stands very well versus Michael.

#1988 schubacca

schubacca

• 796 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:52

In all sincerity - Fernando does not need to get the Schumacher treatment. And I don't think that Alonso would have ever had any problems holding Irvine, Barrichello and Massa at bay. Come to think of it, in the intra-team comparison Fernando stands very well versus Michael.

MS really did not need it either..... However, all drivers want what MS had.

That includes FA who has expressed that throughout career, and I don't blame him. He is the best driver currently on the grid. He represents Ferrari's best chance for success. Give the man, who is working miracles in the car, what he wants :)

#1989 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 14:20

:lol:

Alonso has seen the video and today he mentioned it.

No llores!! A ver la próxima! ;)) Don't cry!! Hope better next one..;)) http://www.youtube.c...be_gdata_player

#1990 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,580 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 14:25

No llores!! A ver la próxima! ;)) Don't cry!! Hope better next one..;)) http://www.youtube.c...be_gdata_player

Oh yes hahaha :up: :clap:

#1991 schubacca

schubacca

• 796 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 14:26

Now I need to post my video of crying when MS does not win.....

I am 37.... But hope to get a MS tweet.....

:p

#1992 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 14:33

Now I need to post my video of crying when MS does not win.....

I am 37.... But hope to get a MS tweet.....

:p

Schumi hasn't twitter.....Or has he too?

#1993 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,544 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 15:33

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Very classy post.

#1994 whoisjohngalt

whoisjohngalt

• 343 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 16:13

cool!!!

#1995 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,459 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 16:47

FA's FB:
Already in Belgium!! Nice welcome always here!! Thanks!
Posted Image

First press conference of today..! Shell event..!
Posted Image

#1996 rt99

rt99

• 180 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 20:34

Personally I think he turned down those drives because he didn't realise their potential. What driver in their right mind would have moved to Brawn in 2009?

Or Renault?

#1997 rt99

rt99

• 180 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 20:36

MS really did not need it either.....

Neither did Mika Salo driving Michael's car.

#1998 CF22

CF22

• 386 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 22:42

Or Renault?

He did turn down Brawn for 2009, Ross has always said very good things about Alonso and if he could pick any driver today it would be him. The Red Bull drive was for 2010 so he would've possibly paired with Vettel but maybe there was also an offer in 2009.

http://www.formula1f...the-world-title

#1999 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,631 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:14

Massa: "Fernando had an incredible first part of the championship," said Massa. "He did a fantastic job. Even at the tracks where we didn't have a competitive car, he was able to finish in a better position than he should have finished.

"He did a perfect job with the car that we had at some tracks. At some tracks, we had a good car but he had a perfect first part of the season."

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/102069

Maybe Massa is biased too.

Advertisement

#2000 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:04

I seriously doubt the "Fernando Alonso Official" on Facebook is a legit account.

On 19th of August "Fernando Official", "Casey Stoner Official" and "Jorge Lorenzo Official" all had this status "Blessed Feast of Ramadan, the Islamic world is all".

1, None of them are Muslim, and I've never seen a non-Muslim athlete talk about Ramadan all my life, sorry.

2, Jorge already has an official account named "Jorge Lorenzo"

3, This Alonso Official page on FB links to several other so-called official account of Robert Kubica and Lewis Hamilton, neither have talked about having official Facebook pages.

4, Given that Alonso and Hamilton have close to a million followers on Twitter and how many fans Messi, Ronaldo and LeBron have on Facebook... do you seriously believe that an official Alonso page on Facebook would have 45 000 fans or what it is?

5, The pictures are probably just hijacked from a Ferrari page or something.