Fernando Alonso - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4015 replies to this topic

#2251 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 1,543 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 14:48

Fernando Alonso singles out Lewis Hamilton for Formula One title duel

New to this forum - big Alonso fan - nice to see such good support for Alonso here. Great weekend in Italy. After all the problems, the race went well for Alonso/Ferrari and it was one McLaren and more importantly both RedBulls especially Vettel with a DNF.

Sure Mclaren is looking fast - but from my perspective Alonso needs to watch out for Vettel and Kimi.

Hamilton is not mentally strong and odds are he will choke (as he has done in the past) when it comes down to fighting for the WDC. Its not that much of a surprise that Macca have won the last three races - their drivers performed because they were out of contention in the WDC , had no pressure and nothing to lose. On average they have had the strongest car but when the pressure was on they and especially their drivers have not delivered. I dont expect that to change. I expect Button to outperform Hamilton now that he is practically out of the WDC hunt. For the upcoming races, the pressure will be on Hamilton and that is when he will under-deliver

Vettel and kimi on the other hand need to be taken extremely seriously. They are going to perform better (and so is team Redbull) as the season winds down and the pressure increases. Both are proven performers. Alonso/Ferrari needs to strategize and counter them over anyone else.

Alonso is in a great position, driving at the peak of his career and I am feeling great about his chances for a 3rd WDC

Prime example why this place is considered by some Alonso fans to be 'a difficult place'.

No mention of McLarens numerous pit stop blunders and poor strategy calls in the first half of the season. You're right, Button and Hamilton took the out-and-out best car on the grid* and did nothing with it.

*'best car' apart from atrocious wet weather performance, poor tyre deg at hot tracks.

Think about adding some balance to your next post.

Edited by Jamiednm, 12 September 2012 - 14:48.

Advertisement

#2252 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,604 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 15:00

Fernando today with the press in Madrid.

He also said that they are going to tackle every race in attack mode, they will try to win the next 3 races. He said that 37 point advantage it's nothing, that difference with 3 races to go will be good news in the other hand.

Exactly the approach I expected him to be taking :up: we definetly need to win atleast two races I would be very happy if we could win the next three. Fingers crossed the upgrades make our car fast enough.

#2253 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,469 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 18:14

Posted Image

#2254 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,930 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 18:27

Posted Image

Lol.

#2255 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,469 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 18:44

Was it after the race or shortly after Vettel's DNF?

#2256 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,844 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 18:47

Was it after the race or shortly after Vettel's DNF?

I'm pretty sure it was after the race, because on the slowdown lap the world feed gave us a shot of Fernando clenching his fist.

Remember Vettel broke down at the end of the start finish straight, where Alonso would have been celebrating so it's highly likely it was in reaction to the end of the race than Vettel merely breaking down.

Great picture from whichever photographer took it.

Edited by Kvothe, 12 September 2012 - 18:47.

#2257 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,469 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 18:51

I think he is professional enough not to publicly express happiness about other's failure. Great symbolic in that picture...

#2258 Kraze

Kraze

• 63 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:14

this is interesting.. seems like Alonso is afraid of Perez and blocking his move to Ferrari

Why wouldn’t Ferrari want Pérez? He is out-racing his customer-engined Sauber and overtook both Ferrari cars at Monza

Fernando Alonso is no idiot. His current circumstances are familiar to 2005 and 2006: race-winning car, slower team-mate and a half decent shot at the title.

Alonso has power at Ferrari. Domenicali knows it. So does Montezemolo. And, quite frankly, neither of them can afford more lashings in the Italian press

full story http://www.gpupdate....uch-for-alonso/

#2259 ByTheNile

ByTheNile

• 21 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:44

this is interesting.. seems like Alonso is afraid of Perez and blocking his move to Ferrari

full story http://www.gpupdate....uch-for-alonso/

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2260 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 708 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:44

seems like Alonso is afraid of Perez

That's why Vettel may be joining him... Yes... He is afraid of Perez, for sure! :lol:

#2261 topical

topical

• 2,094 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:11

I think he is professional enough not to publicly express happiness about other's failure. Great symbolic in that picture...

I remember him shaking his fist in celebration just after Schumacher's car blew up in Suzuka at 2006. I found it very funny but also a little odd in the middle of a race - shows how pent up his emotions must have been.

#2262 topical

topical

• 2,094 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:13

If this is the case then why is Di Montezemolo openly courting Vettel in the press at the moment? Unless Ferrari think that Perez is faster than Vettel...

#2263 Flamini

Flamini

• 809 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:24

Alonso is afraid because some anonymous journo said this?

#2264 Rajdeep

Rajdeep

• 67 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:32

I'm pretty sure it was after the race, because on the slowdown lap the world feed gave us a shot of Fernando clenching his fist.

Remember Vettel broke down at the end of the start finish straight, where Alonso would have been celebrating so it's highly likely it was in reaction to the end of the race than Vettel merely breaking down.

Great picture from whichever photographer took it.

Cars that break down are not loaded on to the truck during the race. Marshalls do not have that luxury as something else might happen at that same piece of tarmac. No question it is on the slowdown lap.

Although the picture is funny for those who understand, it could lead to a lot of unnecessary crap from people who have no clue...

#2265 paulesko

paulesko

• 116 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:32

I think this could probably be Fernando giving a hand to Santander. What I mean is that Telmex is behind Sergio Pérez, if Pérez goes to Ferrari, Telmex will want a big ad on the car, and maybe Santander is not comfortable with that. So, maybe all this fuss about Pérez is just a Santander vs Telmex affair and Fernando helping Santander.... does this make sense to anybody?

#2266 Blackmadonna

Blackmadonna

• 125 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:05

I think this could probably be Fernando giving a hand to Santander. What I mean is that Telmex is behind Sergio Pérez, if Pérez goes to Ferrari, Telmex will want a big ad on the car, and maybe Santander is not comfortable with that. So, maybe all this fuss about Pérez is just a Santander vs Telmex affair and Fernando helping Santander.... does this make sense to anybody?

Not to me, but its not worse than other pieces of useless speculation. Like that 'article'. Fernando afraid of Perez- yeah sure- he is afraid of the dark, too. And dogs. No wait- i think that was Nadal, but they are both spanish, so they must have similar fears :rolleyes:

#2267 HaPe

HaPe

• 1,016 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:28

You mean like he did when he drove past the stranding Schumacher-Ferrari in Suzuka 2006 - with raised fist (exactly like in the pic above)?!

Edited by HaPe, 13 September 2012 - 09:30.

#2268 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,604 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:37

I've never read such rubbish in an article, completely fabricated material. Not exactly suprising coming from that place, my cat has more credibility.

Edited by RedOne, 13 September 2012 - 09:38.

#2269 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 362 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:05

You mean like he did when he drove past the stranding Schumacher-Ferrari in Suzuka 2006 - with raised fist (exactly like in the pic above)?!

Exactly like in the pic above? From 2:29-2:31 here.

#2270 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,604 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:11

We are in 2012, that was in 2006 and personally I see nothing wrong with him celebrating, jeez some people act like he commits a crime or something.

#2271 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 362 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:25

We are in 2012, that was in 2006 and personally I see nothing wrong with him celebrating, jeez some people act like he commits a crime or something.

Agreed.
Alonso is still a red rag to certain people. (Pun intended...)

#2272 Ncedi

Ncedi

• 294 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:52

Hi Guys,

Long time follower although i don't comment too much. HUGE FERNANDO FAN!!

I don't understand why the Vettel picture discussion...that is clearly the slow down lap or who here would believe he would celebrate in the first chicane during the race (albeit the end).

Regarding the Michael celebration, anyone who watched that season will know after the previous race on Monza how he felt aggrieved...there was a lot of political tension that season (penalties, mass damper included). He let some of that frustration out at the time. I also think we must bear in mind that Fernando was what, 24 at the time? He is older now and wiser...people place shots like that to make him a villain, similar to the vocal celebration in Valencia this year, which clearly happened after the race but was played on the highlights just as Vettel retired.

Fernando isn't perfect, but he certainly isn't the person some make him out to be.

I'd prefer to end off positively though so FORZA FERRARI FORZA FERNANDO!! Here's to the coming charge to the end of the season and hopefully a championship!!

#2273 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,604 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:02

Hi Guys,

Long time follower although i don't comment too much. HUGE FERNANDO FAN!!

I don't understand why the Vettel picture discussion...that is clearly the slow down lap or who here would believe he would celebrate in the first chicane during the race (albeit the end).

Regarding the Michael celebration, anyone who watched that season will know after the previous race on Monza how he felt aggrieved...there was a lot of political tension that season (penalties, mass damper included). He let some of that frustration out at the time. I also think we must bear in mind that Fernando was what, 24 at the time? He is older now and wiser...people place shots like that to make him a villain, similar to the vocal celebration in Valencia this year, which clearly happened after the race but was played on the highlights just as Vettel retired.

Fernando isn't perfect, but he certainly isn't the person some make him out to be.

I'd prefer to end off positively though so FORZA FERRARI FORZA FERNANDO!! Here's to the coming charge to the end of the season and hopefully a championship!!

Hi, always a pleasure to meet another fan, just ignore these people who say stuff about Alonso, they can see he is closer than ever to getting another title so that makes them mad. I hope he gets the title because it will be such a sweet feeling with all the rubbish we have to put up with from idiots.

Forza Fernando Forza Ferrari :clap:

Edited by RedOne, 13 September 2012 - 12:02.

#2274 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,604 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:04

Agreed.
Alonso is still a red rag to certain people. (Pun intended...)

:up:

#2275 keeppushingurep1

keeppushingurep1

• 185 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:18

http://www.marca.com...1347484613.html

interesting!!!

alonso: leaving mclaren best decision

Formula 1 World Championship leader Fernando Alonso attended a publicity event for Viceroy – one of his sponsors - where he gave his view on the closing part of the race for the title.

"There are seven must-win races left", said the Asturian driver, who is well aware of the importance of each remaining race in the World Championship.

Despite the Spaniard’s lead in the competition, Alonso is cautiously approaching the final phase: "I must face these seven races like a chaser and not a leader because there are 175 points up for grabs and 37 are nothing. It can all change in one race".

Alonso vowed to "go on the attack" instead of racing conservatively: "I have to try to win the next three races. We’ll be using new parts, just like everyone else", he said.

Alonso went on to add that: "My only objective in Singapore (venue for the next Grand Prix) is to win. I have to put on a perfect display right to the end", he emphasised.

The driver currently leads the championship with a 37-point advantage over Lewis Hamilton, and is 38 points ahead of Kimi Räikkonen and 39 ahead of Sebastian Vettel with seven races remaining (Singapore, Japan, Korea, India, Abu Dhabi, U.S.A. and Brazil).

The Spanish master, who recently renewed his contract with sponsor Viceroy for two years, joked about his World Championship opponents: "If I had to choose between Hamilton or Vettel, I would choose Räikkonen". Then, in a more serious tone, he heaped praise on Lewis Hamilton: "Hamilton is the only one who is capable of winning without having the best car, which is evident as the others only win when they have a good car".

"There will be some twists and turns among the title contenders in the final run-in, as it’s a closely-fought battle", he said. However, the Ferrari driver was optimistic with regard to the final part of the season: "It’s easier when you’ve got an advantage over the rest. I’m more relaxed than I was last year".

When asked about rumours circulating of his supposedly bad relationship with Sauber driver Sergio Pérez, Alonso said: "I get on really well with him, as I do with all the others".

The two-time Spanish World Champion said he was still surprised about reaching the 80-podium record held by childhood hero Ayrton Senna: "I still can’t believe I’ve equalled Senna’s podium record: It makes me proud and I’ll cherish the achievement when I retire", he said.

The former McLaren driver also spoke of his time with the team and his decision to leave the British outfit: "It was the best decision I’ve taken in my life. McLaren is a strong team, but has won few World Championships in the past ten years", were the Ferrari man’s words.

Alonso also had time to speak about topics outside of F1: "If I had to share my time with a celebrity, I would do it with Charlize Theron. I like her films," said the Spaniard with a smile on his face.

"I love sport. When I get some free time at home and I don’t know what to do, I play with a friend or go for a ride on my bike. Cycling is my number-one choice and any other sport, the second", Alonso said when asked about his favourite way to spend his free time.

Edited by keeppushingurep1, 13 September 2012 - 12:21.

#2276 Arry2k

Arry2k

• 358 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:23

Indeed, the same people who whinge about this 'behaviour' probably cheer when Alonso makes a mistake, which lets face it is not all that often, or is 'taken out' and lets face it, the vast majority of us, and by us I mean F1 fans, have cheered when we see a rival fall out of the race.

#2277 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,747 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 13:51

A couple of interesting videos.

Tifosis crazy about Fernando in Monza.

Long interview from yesterday event, it's in spanish but you can use the close caption feature of youtube, probably the translation will be a little weid but it's better than nothing if you don't know spanish.

#2278 HaPe

HaPe

• 1,016 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 15:43

Indeed, the same people who whinge about this 'behaviour' probably cheer when Alonso makes a mistake, which lets face it is not all that often, or is 'taken out' and lets face it, the vast majority of us, and by us I mean F1 fans, have cheered when we see a rival fall out of the race.

It's so so easy to just switch names and it fits vice versa.
HF

Edited by HaPe, 13 September 2012 - 15:44.

#2279 Fonzey

Fonzey

• 232 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 17:32

I was sat in the first chicane grandstand and I can confirm the photo was AFTER the race :p

They didn't roll the RB out on the wee crane until the parade lap.

As a Hamilton fan even I enjoyed Alonso making all those moves on sunday, it was a great way to experience the Tifosi. Although, maybe I was just uber happy about who won and anything else was just a bonus :lol:

Advertisement

#2280 Kraze

Kraze

• 63 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 17:43

Alonso is afraid because some anonymous journo said this?

I've never read such rubbish in an article, completely fabricated material. Not exactly suprising coming from that place, my cat has more credibility.

tbh, not just one but several websites have reported this. Perez is a very talented new-comer who's exceedingly well in a mid-table team, if he drives for a top team like Ferrari then he can certainly be a threat to Alonso (who definitely dont want a repeat of 2007 when a rookie belittled him in the same car).

#2281 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,604 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 18:03

tbh, not just one but several websites have reported this. Perez is a very talented new-comer who's exceedingly well in a mid-table team, if he drives for a top team like Ferrari then he can certainly be a threat to Alonso (who definitely dont want a repeat of 2007 when a rookie belittled him in the same car).

No credible site would report some journos opinion as news, and what sites?

The rest of you're post is more of the same garbage we here from people trying to belittle Alonso so not interested in responding to it. :wave:

Edited by RedOne, 13 September 2012 - 18:04.

#2282 Kraze

Kraze

• 63 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 18:15

No credible site would report some journos opinion as news, and what sites?

The rest of you're post is more of the same garbage we here from people trying to belittle Alonso so not interested in responding to it. :wave:

its not garbage, its common sense if you look at what happened in 2007. Anyways, looking at your profile pic, I can understand why you're being sensitive to this bit of news.

#2283 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,604 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 18:22

its not garbage, its common sense if you look at what happened in 2007. Anyways, looking at your profile pic, I can understand why you're being sensitive to this bit of news.

So you couldn't back up you're statement with the evidence I asked you to provide, so it's garbage.

(or maybe looking at you favourite driver (Kimi) you're just another whinger who is still bitter about the past)

Edited by RedOne, 13 September 2012 - 18:30.

#2284 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 18:22

The same people who say Alonso is preventing Perez from joining Ferrari are the same people spreading the rumour of Vettel joining Ferrari in 2014. It does not make sense. If Perez is as good as Hamilton why aren't the other teams trying to get him?

The media is being a fanboyish again that is all.

#2285 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 708 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 21:35

its not garbage, its common sense if you look at what happened in 2007.

It is funny how people can understand common sense in very different ways...

If this was 2007, this would be the first year of Alonso in Ferrari, Pérez would be a rookie in his first season, Pérez would have the same nationality as the team, so he is italian then, the mexican press and media would be dominant in the paddock, etc, etc..
Common sense tells me the comparison with 2007 is ridiculous.
If you want to say that Fernando does not want a competitive team driver alongside him, is a different story. But thinking that Kubica was on his way to Ferrari and Vettel looks like a serious candidate now, it is more of the same nonsense to me. They didn't/don't scare Fernando, but Perez does... Yeah, right :lol:

#2286 HPT

HPT

• 1,165 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:57

Saw the Maldonaldo thread right next to Fernando's so I'm bumping this thread to steer clear of that nut case :D

#2287 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,392 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 13:50

That's the saddest kick I've seen lol.

#2288 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,747 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 15:30

"Hamilton is the only one who is capable of winning without having the best car, which is evident as the others only win when they have a good car"

Why oh why does FA have to resort to that kind of badmouthing. Kimi and Seb are proven race-winners even wihout the best car. I really hope that was only a bad translation - otherwise I feel Fernando is mentally weaker than I thought.

#2289 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,747 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 15:47

I feel Fernando is mentally weaker than I thought.

Some people call it opinions, and saying what you think. The translation is correct.

Edited by kosmos, 14 September 2012 - 15:49.

#2290 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 15:51

IMO, it's silly to think that Alonso fears Perez.

Alonso would be understandably concerned if Hamilton were to join Ferrari.

Again, IMO, 'equal treatment' is as unachievable an ideal as 'consistent steward decisions' and 'teams sticking with the spirit of the rules'. These are all nebulous since they all depend on the varying perceptions of so many individuals being the same.

It seemed quite clear to me that at McLaren 1988/89, two example years of what fans would claim as equal treatment, there was a start with equal treatment. However, behind the racing there was quite a fierce battle between Prost and Senna to gain the teams favour. Prost worked at maintain the favour he enjoyed, while Senna worked at establishing the favour he needed to succeed. Great achievers need a lot of support for them to achieve. I doubt that any team can equally provide for such drivers, and human nature will make team members take sides anyway. Afterall, such great performers will inevitably get followers, even within teams. Once this happens, the equal treatment ends.

Alonso believes that team leadership should commence from the outset if there's a natural reason for doing so as there was in 2007. He is the double champion, while Hamilton is the rookie. All well and good. They probably should have let it happen that way. They can have equal machinery, but Alonso's opinion on strategy etc. would be favoured, as well as he being given the nod for theoretically slightly more advantageous opportunities in qualifying and the races. There's no reason why Hamilton could not have still asserted himself on those terms.

Alonso knows that even if Hamilton were to join Ferrari with Alonso as non-contractual leader, that his continued leadership would be at stake. So many Schumi, and now Alonso detractors fail to realize that No.1 status isn't a right, but is earned. Once earned, it doesn't remain with the driver. The driver has to consistently demonstrate that he deserves to remain No.1. His teammate has all opportunity to challenge this. It's just that Alonso and Schumacher are good enough that only few will oppose and better them. Additionally, of those few who will successfully oppose them, only a few of those aren't already enjoying No.1 status with another outfit.

Many call Barichello as sissy, but I believe that he remained with Ferrari for so long because he was convinced that he could better Schumi on merit, thus undermining and overturning his favoured treatment. However, year after year, he failed and had to play second fiddle as each season progressed in Schumi's favour. It's worse with Massa. Massa's efforts are more rudimentary. He's trying to maintain his race seat, much less challenge Alonso's favour with the team. For the sake of the sport, someone else aught to get a chance at challenging Alonso, even if they fail in the end as most would.

#2291 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 362 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 15:56

[...]Why oh why does FA have to resort to that kind of badmouthing. Kimi and Seb are proven race-winners even wihout the best car. [...]

Vettel never won when he did not start from first three places. I think he has not proven anything in this regard.

Kimi is another story, he won 6 races while starting outside of the first three.

Hamilton won twice while starting outside of first three.
Fernando won also 6 times while starting worse than 3rd. Not counting Singapore 2008.

#2292 crespo

crespo

• 502 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 16:00

"Hamilton is the only one who is capable of winning without having the best car, which is evident as the others only win when they have a good car"

Why oh why does FA have to resort to that kind of badmouthing. Kimi and Seb are proven race-winners even wihout the best car. I really hope that was only a bad translation - otherwise I feel Fernando is mentally weaker than I thought.

Mind games, that's all it is. The more you analyse the quote, the less sense it makes, and the only obvious conclusion is "mind games".

#2293 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,747 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 16:10

Mind games, that's all it is. The more you analyse the quote, the less sense it makes, and the only obvious conclusion is "mind games".

When he said it at pre-season , when he didn't have any chance to fight against Hamilton because the F2012 was no good, at that time it was also mind games, right? :drunk:. It's an opinion, you can agree or disagree, you don't need to twist it.

#2294 schubacca

schubacca

• 796 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 17:05

FA is the current best in F1.

End of Story

#2295 motorhead

motorhead

• 918 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 18:27

Well he doesn´t count himself in that league :) He also said this "Asked which of his title rivals he feared most, Alonso joked: "If I had to choose between Hamilton or Vettel, I would choose Räikkonen."

source

#2296 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 18:55

I think what Alonso is really saying is that Hamilton is the only one that can win without having the best car. The others (himself not excluded) only win when they have a good car.

Let the heads explode now. :rotfl:

#2297 as65p

as65p

• 17,276 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 19:57

Well he doesn´t count himself in that league :) He also said this "Asked which of his title rivals he feared most, Alonso joked: "If I had to choose between Hamilton or Vettel, I would choose Räikkonen."

:lol: Brilliant answer on more than one level! :up:

#2298 keiichi

keiichi

• 293 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 20:03

I think what Alonso is really saying is that Hamilton is the only one that can win without having the best car. The others (himself not excluded) only win when they have a good car.

This season completely rules that thought out...

#2299 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,663 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 20:04

Whether he is including himself or not depends on what the question was. If he was asked a question about his rivals, then his reply does not say anything about his opinion of himself.

Advertisement

#2300 crespo

crespo

• 502 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 21:10

When he said it at pre-season , when he didn't have any chance to fight against Hamilton because the F2012 was no good, at that time it was also mind games, right? :drunk:. It's an opinion, you can agree or disagree, you don't need to twist it.

In the pre-season, Alonso didn't have a fragile 1+ race win points advantage in the WDC with 7 races to go. :drunk: indeed. :smoking: