Photo

Fernando Alonso - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4015 replies to this topic

#2401 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 714 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:17

If Fernando does not win the championship, it won't be his fault. I will be as proud of Fer as I was just watching him driving at Minardi.
With the car he had at the start of the season he should not be a contender, yet he is 37 points in front. He can not drive any better, so from now on it will be a matter of car improvement and luck. It is not the first time he has to race against faster cars and he is so used to that situation that there's no room in his head for frustration or complains, just focus, determination, and positive thinking.

He is a rock and the most consistent driver, his car is not the fastest but it is reliable. Let's hope it is enough.
I am enjoying this season, even if it is clear that there is suffering on the way, but I still have the feeling that he can do it.

Edited by Hanzo, 23 September 2012 - 08:18.

Advertisement

#2402 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,617 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:19

If Fernando does not win the championship, it won't be his fault. I will be as proud of Fer as I was just watching him driving at Minardi.
With the car he had at the start of the season he should not be a contender, yet he is 37 points in front. He can not drive any better, so from now on it will be a matter of car improvement and luck. It is not the first time he has to race against faster cars and he is so used to that situation that there's no room in his head for frustration or complains, just focus, determination, and positive thinking.

He is a rock and the most consistent driver, his car is not the fastest but it is reliable. Let's hope it is enough.
I am enjoying this season, even if it is clear that there is suffering on the way, but I still have the feeling that he can do it.

Good post, very good post :up:

#2403 topical

topical

• 2,107 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:45

I just really hope he does win this title. Losing it in 2010 was tough, but in retrospect I can say that the mistakes of both Alonso and the team in the first half of the season are what ultimately cost them the title, not the screw up at Abu Dhabi. Sure, he would have deserved the title that year, but no more or less than Vettel or Hamilton.
This year, however, he has been amazing, it's been like what Schumacher did in the early years at Ferrari, or Senna at McLaren in 1993, constantly dragging that car up to places it shouldn't be. Together with 2006, it has definitely been Alonso's best year in F1 and a 3rd title would be richly deserved. I really hope he does it.

#2404 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,484 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:07

Here some nice photos of our champion...

Fernando Alonso of Spain and Ferrari in interviewed by the media at the Pan Pacific Hotel during previews to the Singapore Formula One Grand Prix on September 20, 2012 in Singapore, Singapore. (September 19, 2012 - Source: Clive Mason/Getty Images AsiaPac)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by jstrains, 23 September 2012 - 09:07.

#2405 andresitoiniesta

andresitoiniesta

• 118 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:27

I don't trust Vettel when is close racing Alonso, he always try to prove he is the macho, Monza was not his first stunt against Alonso.

Vettel is an intelligent guy, man . He knows what it´s waiting for him if he does something stupid.

#2406 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,484 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:30

I think Senna-Prost and Hill-Schumacher-Villeneuve times when drivers collided on purpose are over...

#2407 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,992 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:37

I won't say congrats quite yet as it might been seen as an attempt to jinx him but I really don't think anything baring 2-3 straight dnf's will take the title out of his hands at this stage of the season.

#2408 bmardini

bmardini

• 326 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:52

Pretty sure the championship is already over - and Fernando ain't gonna win it.

37 points is peanuts. If there were 4 races left then sure looks good, but there are SEVEN (inc today) races left. Thats 175 points available to play for.

Since, in theory, he shouldn't be higher than p5 in every race (10 points a race), and lets assume he does finish in p5 every race, that would put him 107 points ahead without anyone else scoring. But Hamilton (with that car) is probably going to win one or two more races, so he will only need 57 points from 5 races (assuming 2 wins) to win and that doesn't seem like much to me.

So in a perfect world, Vettel, Hamilton, Webber and Button will take equal number of points off eachother and Alonso will win the championship. But this is unlikely. We are in the home stretch now and car differences are becoming more apparent.

However, a single additional win by Alonso (without any DNF's) would probably seal the championship barring any DNF's etc.

#2409 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:55

37 points is peanuts. If there were 4 races left then sure looks good, but there are SEVEN (inc today) races left. Thats 175 points available to play for.

Listen.

At Melbourne, with 20 races to go, he had +0 point and a worse car than today.

/discussion

#2410 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,859 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:59

Pretty sure the championship is already over - and Fernando ain't gonna win it.

37 points is peanuts. Since, in theory, he shouldn't be higher than p5 in every race...

We will see, it's not going to be easy, that's for sure. Good luck for today Fernando. :up:

#2411 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,837 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:24

(...)
Since, in theory, he shouldn't be higher than p5 in every race (10 points a race), and lets assume he does finish in p5 every race, that would put him 107 points ahead without anyone else scoring. (...)

Unfortunately for you in practice his average was P3.7 in the races he finished (i.e., w/o Spa) for the whole season including the terrible car in the first races, and it was P2.8 for the races since Silverstone (again w/o Spa)

#2412 Lights

Lights

• 9,491 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:28

Listen.

At Melbourne, with 20 races to go, he had +0 point and a worse car than today.

/discussion

Difference is that no team in the first part of the season managed to be a consistent front runner. Red Bull was quite hopeless in China and Spain for example, McLaren in Bahrain and Silverstone. But more so because the latter screwed up quite regularly with Hamilton. That's what mainly created Alonso's lead, not because McLaren was slow or because Hamilton has been bad.

Now the situation is different, McLaren have the best pit stops in the pitlane, there are less surprises at the front etc. The season stabilized but it is McLaren with 4 poles and 3 wins in a row. Don't want to crush your optimism but Alonso's chances simply do not look that fantastic right now. Feel free to quote this post after Fernando wins the championship though, I won't be disappointed.

#2413 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:31

As I've been saying: I'm not being optimistic, but I'm not being unnecessarily pessimistic either, which seems to be the trend here.

This is Formula One, not the Spanish Football Liga, anything can still happen.

Edited by Ravenak, 23 September 2012 - 10:31.

#2414 paulesko

paulesko

• 116 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:38

Apart from 2007, Hamilton has never been able to gather more than 3 podiums in a row, so it will be quite hard for him to be consistently ahead of Fernando.

#2415 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 2,983 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:49

Apart from 2007, Hamilton has never been able to gather more than 3 podiums in a row, so it will be quite hard for him to be consistently ahead of Fernando.

That is an interesting stat, these next 7 races will be a huge test of his mental strength.

Sadly for Alonso, his car is not quite fast enough right now, however I expect him to still max it and get on the podium regularly, will that be enough to win the WDC, it all depends on how consistent Mclaren and Hamilton can be.

Whatever happens, Fernando has proved himself to be the best driver in F1 this season. No way should that car be leading the WDC.

#2416 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,576 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:53

However, he has been on the podium in approximately 50% of the races he has participated in. It's gonna go down to the wire IMO.....

#2417 paulesko

paulesko

• 116 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:00

However, he has been on the podium in approximately 50% of the races he has participated in. It's gonna go down to the wire IMO.....

Yes, I expect these last races to be breathtaking, and probably, the championship will be decided at Brazil.

#2418 Arry2k

Arry2k

• 360 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:19

Great, game over for us. :mad:

#2419 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:28

That is an interesting stat, these next 7 races will be a huge test of his mental strength.

Sadly for Alonso, his car is not quite fast enough right now, however I expect him to still max it and get on the podium regularly, will that be enough to win the WDC, it all depends on how consistent Mclaren and Hamilton can be.

Whatever happens, Fernando has proved himself to be the best driver in F1 this season. No way should that car be leading the WDC.

I think Hamilton is stronger than in the past. This season is way far from over. I would prefer him to win more than Hamilton, but one thing's for sure.... whoever wins will be deserving of it. That's all I wish for and I really didn't expect to be saying this after the first few races where things did seem very unpredictable. However, the races have settled down very nicely and as someone said, Alonso made hay while the sun of inconsistency around him shone. However, the sun of inconsistency among top runners is now setting in the horizon and his car isn't as competitive as it was midseason. I have a feeling he will lose this championship unless they Ferrari is more competitive in future races.

I expect Hamilton to win this race as he did the last one. He and McLaren seem to be on a run of form where the race wins are appearing straightforward.

Advertisement

#2420 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:54

Hamilton has to outscore Alonso on an average 6 points per race, not 7. After tomorrow, the lead should get down to minimum 27 points, that is if Ferrarinando scores a podium. Otherwise take 24 points. Looking at the last three races, Hamilton has cut down the lead by 25 points. 25 points in two races actually, coz one race they both had DNF. thats 12.5 points per race. And you tell me its a tall order? Well yes it is, but championships arent won easily, you need to be the best, and right now Lewis is delivering the best.

Careful there Duck. Karma has been a real bitch this season.

#2421 discover23

discover23

• 4,001 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 13:10

Alonso taking no prisoners .. And driving very aggressively AGAINST MALDONADO.. Wow...

#2422 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 13:12

He is staying out while everybody else is using the SC to get frsh rubber. Hope this is not a mistake.

#2423 discover23

discover23

• 4,001 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 13:13

Hopefully he can make this work..

#2424 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:12

The championship is gone from Alonso's hands. You can see it slowly moving out of his grasp. Tough times, I know. As long as Pat Fry makes such cars, then there is nothing which Fernando can do to stop himself from losing the title once again.

Ferrari and team have done an awesome job in having a rock solid, steel-like, bullet proof reliability.

The championship is long but today's results are close to excellent, given the conditions and options. Don't you agree?

:lol:

#2425 Lights

Lights

• 9,491 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:17

Great day at the office for Fernando, Hamilton retiring was exactly what he needed. It looks much more positive now than 3 hours ago.

#2426 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,859 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:19

Great race!, The start was poor for the first time but he manages to keep P5, the pace with SS was awful but the car worked really well with softs. Podium 81!. Kudos to Ferrari for having the most awesome car in terms of reliability but we need to make it more fast, we dodged a bulltet today, but the lead decreased.

The great thing is that Lewis can be a help now if he win races.

#2427 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:23

Great drive from fernando. When was the last time a driver in the 3rd best team, led the championship this late?

#2428 KavB

KavB

• 1,098 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:24

How the hell does he keep getting on the podium! We virtually saw nothing of him today, yet he always ends up with the big points! He must be so happy Hamilton retired as McLaren are just too quick now.

#2429 Sinceref189

Sinceref189

• 585 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:25

"Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead" This some's up fernando The guy is just on it ,now that lewis is out of it surely his left hand is on that championship ,please don't let Vettel become 3xwdc :smoking:

#2430 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:27

Great drive from fernando. When was the last time a driver in the 3rd best team, led the championship this late?

Some would say 2010.

#2431 topical

topical

• 2,107 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:32

Another great day of damage limitation. I dunno, I'm just starting to get the feeling that the stars are shining for Alonso this year...
He's now got nearly 2 race wins back in hand over Hamilton, and hopefully the Ferrari will be quicker than the Red Bull at the next two races. If Alonso can get good results in those two races he should be able to do it.

#2432 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,837 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:38

(...)
Since, in theory, he shouldn't be higher than p5 in every race (10 points a race), and lets assume he does finish in p5 every race, that would put him 107 points ahead without anyone else scoring. (...)

Unfortunately for you in practice his average was P3.7 in the races he finished (i.e., w/o Spa) for the whole season including the terrible car in the first races, and it was P2.8 for the races since Silverstone (again w/o Spa)

So much for that. :wave:

#2433 discover23

discover23

• 4,001 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:39

Some would say 2010.

After Singapore in 2010, Webber was Leading and Alonso closing in.

#2434 Went

Went

• 40 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:42

Well, we only need this trend to continue and Vettel to retire in Suzuka, and suddenly things will look muuuuuch brighter.

#2435 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,859 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:44

Podiums By number

1 SCHUMACHER Michael 155
2 PROST Alain 106
3 ALONSO Fernando 81
4 SENNA Ayrton 80

Prost is too far sadly.

We should be wary of Vettel, his car it's not as fast as the McLaren (maybe) but we are not in a position to celebrate yet because Hamilton it's on the edge to be out of the title race. The rival is Vettel now and the RB car is a great car, we will see if they can be consistent. Lewis can be a help for us now under certain circumstances.

#2436 andresitoiniesta

andresitoiniesta

• 118 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:59

Prost is too far sadly.

We should be wary of Vettel, his car it's not as fast as the McLaren (maybe) but we are not in a position to celebrate yet because Hamilton it's on the edge to be out of the title race. The rival is Vettel now and the RB car is a great car, we will see if they can be consistent. Lewis can be a help for us now under certain circumstances.

Are you excluding Hamilton From the WDC battle? With 6 races to go?

C´MON!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

#2437 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,087 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:03

"Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead" This some's up fernando The guy is just on it ,now that lewis is out of it surely his left hand is on that championship ,please don't let Vettel become 3xwdc :smoking:

Hamilton is not out yet, not with 150 points to be awarded. I agree with your last sentence, though - not because I dislike Vettel, but because I'd love Alonso to inherit from Senna the title of "youngest 3WDC".

Edited by Fontainebleau, 23 September 2012 - 15:03.

#2438 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 563 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:04

@ Went "Well, we only need this trend to continue and Vettel to retire in Suzuka, and suddenly things will look muuuuuch brighter."

We have to count on car pace not someone DNF's. The good news is that ,the upcoming tracks will suit Ferrari car and Redbull shouldn't be faster there than F2012. On the other hand McLaren is still fastest car so Hamilton still remains big danger (even bigger than Vettel), we should wait and see how we will stand against them on Suzuka.

Edited by ArkZ, 23 September 2012 - 15:08.

#2439 LH08WDC

LH08WDC

• 565 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:05

Hope Alonso wins now. Keep it up Fernando.

Advertisement

#2440 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,087 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:06

Prost is too far sadly.

No, he isn't. But I wouldn't mind Alonso being sandwiched by Prost and Senna, I cannot think of better company! Schumi will always be on top, and he deserves it.

#2441 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,859 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:06

Are you excluding Hamilton From the WDC battle? With 6 races to go?

C´MON!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I said he is on the edge, never said he is out, learn to read :rolleyes: .

#2442 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,087 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:07

@ Went "Well, we only need this trend to continue and Vettel to retire in Suzuka, and suddenly things will look muuuuuch brighter."

We have to count on car pace not someone DNF's. The good news is that ,the upcoming tracks will suit Ferrari car and Redbull shouldn't be faster there than F2012.

Alonso was kidding, he'd rather have a fast car, but EJ's question required a standard reply.

#2443 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,617 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:11

Superb job Alonso! I hope Ferrari can improve the car before the next races.

Edited by RedOne, 23 September 2012 - 15:11.

#2444 paulesko

paulesko

• 116 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:47

I loved to see that attempt of Alonso overtaking Pastor without crashing on him. Great driving there.

#2445 yr

yr

• 5,969 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:54

It's a useless discussion as long as you fail to realize that speed and reliability are both part of the car package.

See the post above.

#2446 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 16:16

The master of maximizing his result struck again. I just hope that Alonso will be able to fight for the win in Japan. The Ferrari needs to close the gap to the McLaren.

#2447 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 16:18

This race sums up Alonso's career pretty well.

But Vettel isn't leading the championship.

#2448 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 16:20

Missed this.

On the other hand, Alonso today showed why he is considered the most complete driver in the world by the people who know (not internet trolls). Pushing when needed, taking the car home in a race where he was 1-2 seconds slower than a couple of cars.

:rotfl: :stoned:

#2449 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 16:21

Red Bull sure are winning the constructors championship, though.

2 > 1

#2450 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,484 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 18:41

FA on Facebook: Another podium, it's the 4th of the 5 races done here, great Sunday again to score points in the championship..!

Posted Image