Photo

Fernando Alonso - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4015 replies to this topic

#201 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 21:15

I'm not sure it was commented here, this was a nice interview, two weeks old, in Spanish though:

http://www.cadenaser...csrcsrdep_1/Ves (video version)
http://www.cadenaser...srcsrdep_2/Aes/

One of the most interesting things (~12:40)

[After explaining every button of the steering wheel: DRS, KERS, diff...]

Q: And on top of that you know how to drive well.

A: That's the least important part, normally [laughs]

The least important part?

That more or less, we all know how to do. Everyone who arrives to F1 has the necessary or demonstrated talent in lower series: karting, F3, Formula Nissan, in Gp2... everyone won things already and arrived to F1. But then when you arrive to F1 the truly complicated stuff arrives: for a day like this, full of events, things, etc. not to make your physical preparation decrease or make you lose concentration. And then the complicated electronics of an F1 car.

[...]

19:40:

Lots of people think you are the best driver in F1. Do you think so?

No, I don't think [thinking noises] don't think that it's possible to evaluate who is the best or the worst. And you don't want to be the best either. I want, or I don't want, that there is any driver in the Canadian GP starting grid, who has prepared the race better than me, who trained better than me, who has seen all the data better than me, who knows the car better than me, or who has tactically prepared that race better than me. That is what I want to achieve, and maybe can say aloud, that I managed to do. But did I do this better or worse? I don't know.

That way of thinking is one of the keys for the success I think.

Edited by prty, 19 June 2012 - 21:17.

Advertisement

#202 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,524 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 23:56

@PRTY :up:

I believe what makes Alonso the best pilot is that he doesn't consider himself the best. Each year, at each circuit, he must do all of his homework. If he doesn't win every race, he knows there is more he could have done. :cool:

Definitely the right attitude! He will win many more races and championships with that philosophy. Let's start with this Sunday in Spain, eh, Fernando? :clap:

#203 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,429 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:17

A video of Fernando arriving toValencia.

http://www.vcfplay.c...lencia-301.html

#204 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:17

Domenicalli about Alonso:

“He is flawless and accurate in working with his engineers, and a reference for the whole team,” the Maranello marque’s team boss, referring to Spaniard Alonso, told EFE news agency.

“He has much in common with Michael from the professional point of view. He is very, very good,” Domenicali insisted.

“We cannot ask for more. His level of competition is fantastic, like his attitude.”

Domenicali admitted he was instrumental in bringing Alonso to Ferrari from Renault at the end of 2009, when Kimi Raikkonen was ousted.

“Yes, absolutely,” the Italian said.

WEB>>>

#205 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:24

Alonso arrived at Valencia

VIDEO

#206 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:16

Alonso arrived at Valencia

VIDEO

That must suck, having to stop every two steps to let fans make photos with you, If it was me I'd be yelling at them to leave me alone :rotfl:

#207 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 1,336 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:17

:up: :lol: and take pics for twitter. <3

#208 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,739 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:19

Domenicali admitted he was instrumental in bringing Alonso to Ferrari from Renault at the end of 2009, when Kimi Raikkonen was ousted.

“Yes, absolutely,” the Italian said.

That is the reason I really never ever wish anything good for Dumenicali. It is a shame that that means that FA cannot achieve anything either but a backstabbing liar like SD deserves nothing.

#209 Skellen

Skellen

• 513 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:39

That is the reason I really never ever wish anything good for Dumenicali. It is a shame that that means that FA cannot achieve anything either but a backstabbing liar like SD deserves nothing.

Wait, what? The only reason Alonso cannot achieve anything is becouse Domenicalli was the one behind his transfer to SF? And becouse SD did it, it means he is a liar?

Seriously Konsta, you would better go and help fix somebodys steering problems, instead of posting constant garbage on FA and Ferraris topics.

#210 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,429 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:44

Gotta love Alonso schooling some journos :rotfl:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/huat2e

#211 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:50

He does have love for the press, doesn't he...

I guess it hurts when press says so much wrong things about your person...

#212 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,739 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:50

Wait, what? The only reason Alonso cannot achieve anything is becouse Domenicalli was the one behind his transfer to SF? And becouse SD did it, it means he is a liar?

Seriously Konsta, you would better go and help fix somebodys steering problems, instead of posting constant garbage on FA and Ferraris topics.

No, because SD acted like a two-faced douche that he is, I wish that he never achieves anything. What I was a bit sorry that my wish means that as long as SD is the TP of Ferrari, I cannot wish success to FA either. I cannot remember just about ever writing anything bad about FA - FM and SD are another story then.

Edited by Konsta, 20 June 2012 - 09:50.

#213 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,429 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 15:00

Fernando will be on the FIA press conference tomorrow at 15:00 local time, let's hope Sky broadcast it :)

#214 morals

morals

• 150 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 16:53

Heh, they corrected the whole article :p

#215 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,429 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:42

Press conference in 15 minutes in Sky or in vip....vip..... vipbox.

#216 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,429 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 14:17

"Fernando is very respected within Ferrari because of his results so it's natural that he participates in the decision about the drivers," Massa is quoted by Brazil's O Estado de S.Paulo on Thursday. "We have a good relationship, I know he supports me, but what really matters is my results,"

http://www.f1today.n...eturn-to-sauber

#217 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 17:52

VIDEO

Nice interview wit Fernando Alonso :love:

#218 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 17:58

VIDEO

Nice interview wit Fernando Alonso :love:

Could do without that typical spanish guitar in the background tough, people from Asturias (Oviedo) have different culture from that, they don't do flamenco, they dont do bullfighting...

#219 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 19:02

Could do without that typical spanish guitar in the background tough, people from Asturias (Oviedo) have different culture from that, they don't do flamenco, they dont do bullfighting...

I like it and also there will be many people in ALL spain who will do! Don't understand you critism!

You are sure that they don't do bullfighting ?

Advertisement

#220 jetalt

jetalt

• 495 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 19:29

I like it and also there will be many people in ALL spain who will do! Don't understand you critism!

The interest about bullfighting in Oviedo is dramatically low. In fact, that bullring was closed down in 2007.

#221 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 19:34

I critizised it because I'm catalan (and so is my culture) and I'm tired of being portrayed in other countries with flamenco, bullfighting and so on... specially when it has nothing to do with our culture (in fact, I've never seen flamenco or bullfighting in my life, other than when you see it on tv, of course).

Also it is just plain stupid, do you imagine Alonso with a song of els castellers playing in the back? It makes no sense, he is spanish but he is not catalan, same as he is spanish but he is not from southern spain, which is where that bullfighting/flamenco culture comes from.

Edited by SirRacer, 22 June 2012 - 19:38.

#222 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,020 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 21:46

I critizised it because I'm catalan (and so is my culture) and I'm tired of being portrayed in other countries with flamenco, bullfighting and so on... specially when it has nothing to do with our culture (in fact, I've never seen flamenco or bullfighting in my life, other than when you see it on tv, of course).

Also it is just plain stupid, do you imagine Alonso with a song of els castellers playing in the back? It makes no sense, he is spanish but he is not catalan, same as he is spanish but he is not from southern spain, which is where that bullfighting/flamenco culture comes from.

Didn't you know that Barcelona is one of the key flamenco centers in Spain? Never heard of the rumba catalana? And the same goes for bullfighting, the Barcelona ring (La Monumental) was up there with Madrid and Seville :) :) :)

But I agree that both are less present in the northwest of Spain.

Edited by Fontainebleau, 22 June 2012 - 21:52.

#223 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 22:57

Didn't you know that Barcelona is one of the key flamenco centers in Spain? Never heard of the rumba catalana? And the same goes for bullfighting, the Barcelona ring (La Monumental) was up there with Madrid and Seville :) :) :)

But I agree that both are less present in the northwest of Spain.

Of course I know about rumba catalana. Back with Franco, catalonia was the main place where andalucians would go, they got finantial help by Franco's regime to try to break the catalan nationality. Still, rumba catalana is very different from traditional flamenco.

#224 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:32

At last Alonso is spanish! And Flamenco & bullfighting belongs to the culture, you like or not.

Ahhh you are catalan, now I understand your special kind of critism for all whats belongs spanish...... :lol:

Edited by puxanando, 23 June 2012 - 08:33.

#225 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:34

Fernando Alonso is sporting a bandage around his right knee in the Valencia paddock.

He played down the injury.

“It’s nothing, I had a fall in cycling and it will heal but for now it’s just a bit swollen. It’s nothing important,” the Ferrari driver is quoted by Spanish sports daily AS.

WEB

#226 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,020 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:49

Of course I know about rumba catalana. Back with Franco, catalonia was the main place where andalucians would go, they got finantial help by Franco's regime to try to break the catalan nationality. Still, rumba catalana is very different from traditional flamenco.

But flamenco is a living thing, which evolves with time, and the new flamenco is as valid as the traditional one.

As for the origins of the Andalusian immigration into Catalonia, although it started earlier the first massive move takes place not with Franco but with the Universal Exposition of 1929. During Franco it continued because the economic policy at the time stated that Spain's economy was to grow around "centers of development" (polos de desarrollo), several of which were located in Catalonia, which together with the Basque Country and Madrid became the three main industrial areas in the country. Logically, people from poorer areas moved to where there were jobs, and it is no surprise that Andalucia and Extremadura, in which the economy was based in agriculture and the fields in the hands of major landowners (latifundistas) were the main areas from which people moved. Which explains the significant presence of Andalusians in Barcelona, and in Madrid too - I am one of the latter  ;)

But apologies about the off-topic! Going back to another important Spanish city, I wish Alonso all the best in Valencia today and tomorrow :D

#227 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:11

At last Alonso is spanish! And Flamenco & bullfighting belongs to the culture, you like or not.

Ahhh you are catalan, now I understand your special kind of critism for all whats belongs spanish...... :lol:

But flamenco is a living thing, which evolves with time, and the new flamenco is as valid as the traditional one.

As for the origins of the Andalusian immigration into Catalonia, although it started earlier the first massive move takes place not with Franco but with the Universal Exposition of 1929. During Franco it continued because the economic policy at the time stated that Spain's economy was to grow around "centers of development" (polos de desarrollo), several of which were located in Catalonia, which together with the Basque Country and Madrid became the three main industrial areas in the country. Logically, people from poorer areas moved to where there were jobs, and it is no surprise that Andalucia and Extremadura, in which the economy was based in agriculture and the fields in the hands of major landowners (latifundistas) were the main areas from which people moved. Which explains the significant presence of Andalusians in Barcelona, and in Madrid too - I am one of the latter ;)

But apologies about the off-topic! Going back to another important Spanish city, I wish Alonso all the best in Valencia today and tomorrow :D

Yes, of course, but you wouldn't use redneck symbols to represent someone from new york, even though rednecks exist in all USA, would you?

Alonso shouldn't be represented with flamenco but with asturian stuff, which is his culture

Edited by SirRacer, 23 June 2012 - 10:12.

#228 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,020 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:25

Yes, of course, but you wouldn't use redneck symbols to represent someone from new york, even though rednecks exist in all USA, would you?

Alonso shouldn't be represented with flamenco but with asturian stuff, which is his culture

We have a very different approach to what our individual culture is. Personally, as a Spaniard I think that the sidra from Asturias, the muñeira from Galicia, the collas castelleras from Catalonia, the Fallas from Valencia and the sanfermines from Navarra are as part of my culture as the sevillanas from Andalusia (where I am originally from) or the chotis from Madrid (where I live). As a European, I have Bach and Da Vinci in my cultural inheritance as much as I have Cervantes or Velázquez. And as I was born in a Western country in the 20th century, I grew up with Sinatra, Elvis, Jorge Negrete and Carlos Gardel - who are part of my culture too. :) We'll have to ask Alonso what is his approach... :)

PS If in the future I do something of importance and a TV chain does a brief documentary about me and uses Bruce Springsteen as musical background, I'll be over the moon!  ;)

#229 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:32

We'll have to ask Alonso what is his approach... :)

I will do when there is the next chance on twitter or Ferrari video chat! :wave:

But I am SURE, without asking him, that he hasn't nothing at all AGAINST Flamenco, which more than music is ART!

#230 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:47

We have a very different approach to what our individual culture is. Personally, as a Spaniard I think that the sidra from Asturias, the muñeira from Galicia, the collas castelleras from Catalonia, the Fallas from Valencia and the sanfermines from Navarra are as part of my culture as the sevillanas from Andalusia (where I am originally from) or the chotis from Madrid (where I live). As a European, I have Bach and Da Vinci in my cultural inheritance as much as I have Cervantes or Velázquez. And as I was born in a Western country in the 20th century, I grew up with Sinatra, Elvis, Jorge Negrete and Carlos Gardel - who are part of my culture too. :) We'll have to ask Alonso what is his approach... :)

PS If in the future I do something of importance and a TV chain does a brief documentary about me and uses Bruce Springsteen as musical background, I'll be over the moon! ;)

Yes, that's very beautiful, but I doubt Alonso has grown up in the streets dancing or listening to flamenco.

I like chinese culture too, but I have not grown up living that culture, same as you probably didn't grow up with all those cultures you mentioned.

If you did grow up with all those cultures you mentioned, it can mean two things: either you lived in a lot of places, or you don't really know what having a culture is (which is very possible, as spain has never had it's own identity as a whole).

#231 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:48

I will do when there is the next chance on twitter or Ferrari video chat! :wave:

But I am SURE, without asking him, that he hasn't nothing at all AGAINST Flamenco, which more than music is ART!

I've never said he has anything against flamenco, just that he probably doesn't feel REPRESENTED by it, same as me, as catalan, doesn't feel represented by it or by bullfighting, some of the so claimed "spanish symbols"

#232 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:57

I've never said he has anything against flamenco, just that he probably doesn't feel REPRESENTED by it, same as me, as catalan, doesn't feel represented by it or by bullfighting, some of the so claimed "spanish symbols"

Mentioning Flamenco and bullfighting in the same sentence is a big fault in my eyes.
Flamenco is recognized all over the world. Doesn't matter IF you like or not! :smoking:

#233 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:59

Mentioning Flamenco and bullfighting in the same sentence is a big fault in my eyes.
Flamenco is recognized all over the world. Doesn't matter IF you like or not! :smoking:

You don't get it, I'm not saying it is anything bad or that I don't like...

I'm just saying both things, which are the main "typical" spanish symbols doesn't represent a LOT of spanish people, IMO, Alonso included. It's pretty simple to understand actually.

#234 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,020 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:21

Yes, that's very beautiful, but I doubt Alonso has grown up in the streets dancing or listening to flamenco.

I like chinese culture too, but I have not grown up living that culture, same as you probably didn't grow up with all those cultures you mentioned.

If you did grow up with all those cultures you mentioned, it can mean two things: either you lived in a lot of places, or you don't really know what having a culture is (which is very possible, as spain has never had it's own identity as a whole).

On the contrary, I think that it means that I am fully aware of what having a culture is. And your comment that Spain never had its own identity as a whole could not be further off the historic facts. But since we are going way off-topic here, I'll leave it there and simply agree to disagree :)

#235 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,429 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 13:06

Worst scenario possible today, Vettel and Hamilton on top and Fernando too low. I don't know if it's the team fault, or Fernando's fault but they should have planned the posibility to make a second run with softs.

Tomorrow, clean side, and a lot of new tyres but it's not enough for this track, only a super genious strategy or massive problems for rivals will give us a podium.

#236 discover23

discover23

• 3,468 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 13:15

What's the best strategy for the race? Perez made it to the podium in Canada from P15 and Kimi in Bahrein from P12.
Alonso is a warrior and he will give it his best. I am confident that he will be fighting for the first top 5 spots.

#237 LH08WDC

LH08WDC

• 555 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 13:19

Really feel for him. Sucks that just 2 tents is the difference between P1 and P11.

#238 joshb

joshb

• 3,219 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 13:24

The victim of the crazist Q2 I've ever seen. 2 twnths off fastest and he's 11th, can't do a lot about that

#239 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 13:26

What's the best strategy for the race? Perez made it to the podium in Canada from P15 and Kimi in Bahrein from P12.
Alonso is a warrior and he will give it his best. I am confident that he will be fighting for the first top 5 spots.

To run in clean air all most of the time I think.

Start on hard tyres, hopefully gain a couple of places, make the tyres last, and hopefully emerge somewhere arround P5 when others pit for hard tyres for the first time.

Advertisement

#240 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 14:05

Felt gutted to see him drop out. Will be interesting if Ferrari can make something work for him tomorrow. If he runs prime at the start and has a good first lap, he can still achieve a lot.

#241 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,109 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 17:35

Worst part is that turn 1 and full sector 1 is terribly dangerous and a bit of a lottery. The chicanes tend to make your position depend on luck. If the guy in front on your same line is slow, you´ll be.

#242 topical

topical

• 2,048 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 17:54

Worst part is that turn 1 and full sector 1 is terribly dangerous and a bit of a lottery. The chicanes tend to make your position depend on luck. If the guy in front on your same line is slow, you´ll be.

Fernando hasn't had a first corner crash for an eternity. I hope tomorrow won't be the day. He has to risk a lot to try and gain places on that first lap, otherwise he'll be stuck in traffic for the whole race and tyres will go off even faster. This is not Canada where it's easy to overtake.

#243 Claudius

Claudius

• 2,277 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 21:39

Hamilton thinks Alonso and Lotuses could be dangerous in the race, doing a 1 stopper.
Let's see what happens, it's not over for Alonso.

#244 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,614 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:47

Hamilton thinks Alonso and Lotuses could be dangerous in the race, doing a 1 stopper.
Let's see what happens, it's not over for Alonso.

Definitely not over altough win may be out of reach. All cars are very close, what was the difference between Alonso Q2 time and best Q2 time? Two tenths or so? This means car has the pace, and potentially it may even be best or one of the better cars in race pace. Pair that with smart strategy and racing, and Alonso has chances for a podium or strong points finish.

#245 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,429 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 14:13

A drive for the history books, sometimes they said that he do magic, today it was magic. After a bad day yesterday, to win the race and get so much lead in the title race, it's like a fairytale. Congratulations Fernando, 28 wins in F1, the only driver to score in every race this season and 20 races scoring points consecutively.

#246 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,429 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 14:19

Double reply sorry , forum is crazy right now.

Edited by kosmos, 24 June 2012 - 14:25.

#247 LH08WDC

LH08WDC

• 555 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 14:22

Alonso in God mode today.

#248 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 14:32

Some fantastically executed overtakes, and he was crucial throughout the first pitstop phase as well to get in front of Raikkonen. Just brilliant. He desperately deserves another World Championship.

#249 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 425 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 14:33

29th win Kosmos.I'm speechless.Legendary drive!! Trully Sennaesque!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

#250 joshb

joshb

• 3,219 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 14:54

Gotta say as annoying as it was watching it unfold, gotta take my hat off. Even when it looks lost, he still finds a way through. Didn't miss a beat all race

Still deserved to finish 2nd though ;)