Fernando Alonso - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4015 replies to this topic

#2601 Sinceref189

Sinceref189

• 585 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:01

I can feel the championship slipping away rather quickly :(

:( why the hell are Ferrari still having windtunnel trouble again ugh , Please Ferrari don't let down fernando again especially this year . Still good luck Alonso gosh the guy will be fighting everyone (lotus,sauber,mclaren)

Advertisement

#2602 JBLeon

JBLeon

• 120 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:11

:( why the hell are Ferrari still having windtunnel trouble again ugh , Please Ferrari don't let down fernando again especially this year . Still good luck Alonso gosh the guy will be fighting everyone (lotus,sauber,mclaren)

And this is the fourth year in a row that they notice something is amiss with the damn wind tunnel.

How can you run a team in such a idiotic way?

Edited by JBLeon, 06 October 2012 - 11:11.

#2603 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,430 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:03

No matter what happens at least we can all hold our heads high as Alonso fans, he has done us very very proud this year and really cemented his reputation as an all time great with his performances. We've been through rougher times than this with Fernando!

#2604 Ferrim

Ferrim

• 818 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 13:35

We never know what can happen on a race day. Every fan of Alonso certainly remebers how desperate everything looked for him after Q in Suzuka in 2006. It was a much worse situation than today, that was penultimate race of the season and everything looked bright for Schumacher. So, if we get a first corner without incidents, podium is possible, maybe even more.

I was thinking exactly this at the end of qualifying. :up:

I'm not an Alonso fan, but he's clearly the most deserving driver this year IMVHO.

#2605 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,140 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 13:39

GUYS! You must NOT forget that we are talking about the man who won from P10 in Valencia in a inferior car!!!

Posted Image

C'mon lets bring this home!! Go Fernando, we know you can do it! :clap: :up: :up:

#2606 topical

topical

• 2,071 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 13:40

GUYS! You must NOT forget that we are talking about the man who won from P10 in Valencia in a inferior car!!!

With a couple of safety cars and Vettel breaking down from a certain victory. Don't expect the same tomorrow.

#2607 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 14:25

Fernando needs to work hard clearing Grosjean and Kobayashi and Perez tomorrow - let's hope for one of his lightening starts. If he can clear these guys by the first pit stop (I know it's a big ask) then he'son the podium and can think about trying to destabilize Webber. Damage limitation. The real challenge will be the start though - he needs a great one. If he falls back even one place it's going to compromise his result.

But - fingers crossed!

#2608 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 14:37

Also, go Webber! Let's snap Finger Boy :D

#2609 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,140 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:42

Yeah! :love:

He wont give anything away to Sebster, he is still in the hunt

#2610 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:52

Yeah sure... :lol:

Best chance is to remind Grosjean he owns one to Lewis and Fernando, a nice bowling move in the first corner and he will be even. :smoking:

#2611 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,028 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 21:00

With a couple of safety cars and Vettel breaking down from a certain victory. Don't expect the same tomorrow.

That is a very partial description of what happened in that race. The SC was there for everybody, and Vettel broke down for all to pass him, yet it was Alonso who won after starting 10th. :)

#2612 bmardini

bmardini

• 326 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 21:09

I'm not normally one to rant, but this championship is over. I am so sick of the usual "we need to analyze the performance" and "we need to understand the situation" bullshit from PF & SD. Ferrari had a 5-race window where they were competitive and made sort of the most of it (Monza was a fault, Spa no fault of anyone), and now it looks like there is a solid 0.5s between the F2012 and the RB, and frankly I'd even go so far as to say as there is an additional 0.2s on top of that that is the difference between Vettel and Alonso in quali.

Tomorrow afternoon the gap will be down to 14 points. Alonso P5, Vettel P1. After Kora it will be less than 5 points.

#2613 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 21:13

I'm not normally one to rant, but this championship is over. I am so sick of the usual "we need to analyze the performance" and "we need to understand the situation" bullshit from PF & SD. Ferrari had a 5-race window where they were competitive and made sort of the most of it (Monza was a fault, Spa no fault of anyone), and now it looks like there is a solid 0.5s between the F2012 and the RB, and frankly I'd even go so far as to say as there is an additional 0.2s on top of that that is the difference between Vettel and Alonso in quali.

Tomorrow afternoon the gap will be down to 14 points. Alonso P5, Vettel P1. After Kora it will be less than 5 points.

Most probable scenario.

#2614 CF22

CF22

• 386 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:34

If Alonso can't take it I'd rather see Hamilton win it than anything cocky Red Bull. The F2012 is slipping back and it seems like a slow torture before every race, I hope the Cologne wind tunnel coughs up some good wings giving us a few good tenths.

I miss 2004. :cry:

But as Alonso says, points are awarded on Sunday and anything can happen.

#2615 emby1999

emby1999

• 62 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 23:31

I'm not normally one to rant, but this championship is over. I am so sick of the usual "we need to analyze the performance" and "we need to understand the situation" bullshit from PF & SD.

:up: :up:

#2616 Arry2k

Arry2k

• 355 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 00:12

To be somewhat rather blunt, I think the fact that we are in this position at all at this stage of the season is quite an achievement and due in no small part to the efforts of both PF and SD. Like it or lump it they have both done a great job IMO. SD in particular has had an absolute mountain to climb. Firstly considering how high Jean Todt set the bar and secondly given how Todt had allowed all of Ferrari's advantages to be frittered away in the various rule changes IMO. Todt left SD with an totally inflexible team with little ability to "change it's spots" and adapt to the new F1 world.

That said I agree that it is totally frustrating that, yet again, we seem to be totally unable to fight for the title come the business end of the season. Yes there have been missed opportunities, yes there have been mistakes, but hey we are still here and the title is not yet over, though granted it is looking all but "peachy" ATM.

Anyway moving to tomorrow, or today, if we leave with 14 points, then so be it. As an Alonso fan am I happy about that? No. No I am not, but hey what can be done about that our end? But don't forget there are still 5 races to go beyond Suzuka. Who knows, perhaps Alonso will pull something out of the hat a great result, or maybe he won't. Either way I think he has driven incredibly well this season and shown just how great a driver he truly is.

#2617 emby1999

emby1999

• 62 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 00:25

To be somewhat rather blunt, I think the fact that we are in this position at all at this stage of the season is quite an achievement and due in no small part to the efforts of both PF and SD. Like it or lump it they have both done a great job IMO.

:confused:

What efforts are you talking about exactly? Giving Alonso a donkey consistently 1 second behind pole position and fighting with midfield teams? The fact that Alonso has been leading the championship this year is DESPITE the efforts of Fry and SD. In fact they seem to be doing their best to lose the titles by consistently failing to improve the car, so I have no idea how you believe they deserve praise for their efforts. Without Alonso they both would have been sacked mid season. SD might have had a mountain to climb but he has not climbed it.

Edited by emby1999, 07 October 2012 - 00:26.

#2618 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 00:31

To be somewhat rather blunt, I think the fact that we are in this position at all at this stage of the season is quite an achievement and due in no small part to the efforts of both PF and SD. Like it or lump it they have both done a great job IMO. SD in particular has had an absolute mountain to climb. Firstly considering how high Jean Todt set the bar and secondly given how Todt had allowed all of Ferrari's advantages to be frittered away in the various rule changes IMO. Todt left SD with an totally inflexible team with little ability to "change it's spots" and adapt to the new F1 world.

That said I agree that it is totally frustrating that, yet again, we seem to be totally unable to fight for the title come the business end of the season. Yes there have been missed opportunities, yes there have been mistakes, but hey we are still here and the title is not yet over, though granted it is looking all but "peachy" ATM.

Anyway moving to tomorrow, or today, if we leave with 14 points, then so be it. As an Alonso fan am I happy about that? No. No I am not, but hey what can be done about that our end? But don't forget there are still 5 races to go beyond Suzuka. Who knows, perhaps Alonso will pull something out of the hat a great result, or maybe he won't. Either way I think he has driven incredibly well this season and shown just how great a driver he truly is.

:up: Excellent post. And - knowing Alonso, He'll find some way on to the podium - so even if Seb wins that's a net loss of 10 points. Every little bit counts.

#2619 emby1999

emby1999

• 62 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:53

I had hoped Hamilton would win the title if not Alonso because if Vettel wins 3 in a row, the press and pundits will go crazy calling him one of the best drivers of all time, and a legend blah blah, when in reality he is just a good driver cleaning up in dominant cars, but looks like Hamilton is out of it now after his setup screw up.

Advertisement

#2620 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 692 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:54

As the most painful part of the season is probably about to start tomorrow, I want to say how proud I am of Fernando. Even with the frustration of not having a faster car I can not help to feel proud reading so many people begging to the most important team in F1 history things like: "just give the man a fast car"
I know, that one is a very silly and romantic view, but for some of his fans, all this started when he was inside a Minardi and to watching him just being there in the F1 circus and finishing races was a great success here in his hometown.
To see him so many years later still going and with Ferrari completly at his feet it is incredible.

When he retires he will probably have less wins, poles, and championships that his talent deserves, but for me it is all about the general opinion in the paddock right now. Other people saying he is lucky, rude, or satan himself, don't bother me too much, it is all part of the game and a normal thing when you are the best or you are one of the best.

I will probably write something similar to this when this season finishes, as I feel I am less optimistic about the WDC with every race, but all of the above will remain the same.
Another thing that will remain it is the expectation. No matter if Alonso starts second row or seventh row, there is always a sense of expectation that he can do really great things, that you can not rule out anything when he is involved. And that is a great thing.

I am now prepared for the worst on this last races, but always with the expectation and with the feeling that he can do it.
And once the season is over I will keep waiting for Ferrari to give him a fast car for once before he retires!

#2621 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,610 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:38

Let's hope the bad luck from yesterday it's compensated today. Just do what it takes to reach the podium Fernando.

#2622 as65p

as65p

• 17,179 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:05

Sh*t. Had to happen one day. Looking totally his fault, I have to say. :well:

#2623 emby1999

emby1999

• 62 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:06

wdc over.

#2624 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:16

Typical racing incident at the start. If you start in the pack, you can get in an accident. WDC is over for Alonso.

#2625 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,587 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:23

#2626 as65p

as65p

• 17,179 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:25

On Sky they suspect a puncture from the contact with KR sending him off. Looks plausible. Which really makes it a racing incident, I don't think KR is to blame. Shit happens.

#2627 l2k2

l2k2

• 94 posts

It was not a racing incident but a blatant fault on Kimi's side. He was behind.

If the first turn would be a left turn, the situation would have been like in Spa... so, apparently Hamilton should have been punished back then; for not avoiding Grosjean?

#2628 HPT

HPT

• 1,158 posts

It was not a racing incident but a blatant fault on Kimi's side. He was behind.

I would call it a racing incident although Kimi should have backed off. Alonso's rear wheel clipped his front end plate, that means he stuck his nose in a space that wasnt even there in the first place. Alonso didn't need to give him room because he wasn't significantly alongside as the rule says.

#2629 emby1999

emby1999

• 62 posts

Looking at the replay I would now blame Kimi for being so close to Alonso. It was too reckless, you can't keep your wing 1mm from the car infront then complain when he moves and you hit him because you have no time to react.

#2630 Fubaaarrr

Fubaaarrr

• 26 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:36

Alonso made mistake, now his championship lead will be cut very badly. 100% Alonsos mistake, Kimi didnt need to back off when he was next to Alonso, Alonso should have left the space. Racing accident, no penalties I would say.

Edited by Fubaaarrr, 07 October 2012 - 06:36.

#2631 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:37

Looking at the replay I would now blame Kimi for being so close to Alonso. It was too reckless, you can't keep your wing 1mm from the car infront then complain when he moves and you hit him because you have no time to react.

I agree... Kimi should have understood that once Alonso drove him off the road it was because he (Kimi) had to stay either off the road or behind Fernando. Kimi had no right fighting the Ferrari driver there and, as usual, Alonso did nothing wrong, yet he is paying by the mistakes of others :(

#2632 imvhv1812

imvhv1812

• 15 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:38

I would call it a racing incident although Kimi should have backed off. Alonso's rear wheel clipped his front end plate, that means he stuck his nose in a space that wasnt even there in the first place. Alonso didn't need to give him room because he wasn't significantly alongside as the rule says.

Kimi is 100% at fault because he was completely behind and should have taken care. Ferrari must act and demand investigation.

#2633 emby1999

emby1999

• 62 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:38

Alonso made mistake, now his championship lead will be cut very badly. 100% Alonsos mistake, Kimi didnt need to back off when he was next to Alonso, Alonso should have left the space. Racing accident, no penalties I would say.

Why didnt Kimi need to leave space and back off considering he was the car behind?? The car in front has the track.

#2634 discover23

discover23

• 3,728 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:42

devastating blow for Alonso ,,The ferrari is fast today just like at Monza - its a real shame he had problems on these two races.

#2635 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:42

Why didnt Kimi need to leave space and back off considering he was the car behind?? The car in front has the track.

Agree! The car in front has the track. This isn't like Alonso-Vettel at Monza where both cars were side-side; here Kimi was always behind, hence it was legal for Alonso to drive him off track, and irresponsible for Kimi to defend.

#2636 l2k2

l2k2

• 94 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:43

Ever heard about crowding? You can not push a car alongside out from the track... and if Kimi would have been behind, pushing him out would not have been possible.

#2637 imvhv1812

imvhv1812

• 15 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:45

Agree! The car in front has the track. This isn't like Alonso-Vettel at Monza where both cars were side-side; here Kimi was always behind, hence it was legal for Alonso to drive him off track, and irresponsible for Kimi to defend.

How can one defend when completely behind? Kimi had only two options: slot behind Alonso or drive Alonso off the track. It had nothing to do with racing but with fairness. Kimi chose the unfair path.

#2638 as65p

as65p

• 17,179 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:46

I was going to blame Alonso for going off on his own, but now it appears he had a punctured rear. Which is just one of those things, KR not to blame either, he just held his line and place.

So it is a racing incident in my book, without ifs and buts, no blame for anyone.

#2639 emby1999

emby1999

• 62 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:46

Ever heard about crowding? You can not push a car alongside out from the track... and if Kimi would have been behind, pushing him out would not have been possible.

Kimi was not alongside, his front wing was behind Alonso's rear tyres. Kimi was the one crowding Alonso, you have it back to front.

Advertisement

#2640 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:48

The rule stipulates that you can't just step into the other car if there is any part of the other car there, the new rule that is, by rule, Alonso screwed himself. By logic, he also screwed himself, when you are nursing a championship lead u don't look for that type of situation where contact can happen, most of all against a guy who has ni chance at your championship. Could Kimi have backed of? Sure.... Why not also roll the red carpet for the prince of Spain while he's at it. Lol fact is, it was a dumb move by Alonso, which will go down as a racing incident, he could have avoided that, there was absolutely no need for what he was doing.

Edited by Birelman, 07 October 2012 - 06:53.

#2641 emby1999

emby1999

• 62 posts

I was going to blame Alonso for going off on his own, but now it appears he had a punctured rear. Which is just one of those things, KR not to blame either, he just held his line and place.

He did not have a right to just hold his place, because he crowded the car in front too much, and took out his tyre. Like I said before, you cannot stay 1mm from the car infront, and then say you did not have time to react.

#2642 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

How can one defend when completely behind? Kimi had only two options: slot behind Alonso or drive Alonso off the track. It had nothing to do with racing but with fairness. Kimi chose the unfair path.

You are right... my bad there.
Plus, Alonso had already drove Kimi off track. Kimi should learn that when you are driven off track you lift, not try to fight with the car who put you there.

#2643 as65p

as65p

• 17,179 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:50

He did not have a right to just hold his place, because he crowded the car in front too much, and took out his tyre. Like I said before, you cannot stay 1mm from the car infront, and then say you did not have time to react.

It was a race start, they're close in those all the time. Sometimes it goes wrong, that's all.

#2644 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:50

There is absolutely nothing in what you're saying that is correct. Do you race at all?

#2645 emby1999

emby1999

• 62 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:54

There is absolutely nothing in what you're saying that is correct. Do you race at all?

Yes I do, and its completely reckless to not leave space to the car in front, and have your wing right next to the rear tyre of the car in front because if he moves, you will have no time to react and hit him which is exactly what happened. Do you really think the car in front is not allowed to move at all??

#2646 fed up

fed up

• 1,953 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:55

not sure what happened as haven't seen it yet, but if vettel wins he closes the gap to a mere 4 points.

It seems like Nando choked this WDC if he loses it :|

#2647 imvhv1812

imvhv1812

• 15 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:56

Yes I do, and its completely reckless to not leave space to the car in front, and have your wing right next to the rear tyre of the car in front because if he moves, you will have no time to react and hit him which is exactly what happened. Do you really think the car in front is not allowed to move at all??

Kimi also drove Perez off the track on the very next lap....

#2648 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:03

not sure what happened as haven't seen it yet, but if vettel wins he closes the gap to a mere 4 points.

2010 deja'vu....

#2649 as65p

as65p

• 17,179 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:04

Well, maybe you should first see it.

#2650 emby1999

emby1999

• 62 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:20

Fernando blamed Kimi for the start, saying he left him no room and he should have backed off.