Photo

Fernando Alonso - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4015 replies to this topic

#3201 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,360 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:04

There´s still hope for Alonso, title fight is not over. Race pace is really close, it´s just that in quali McLaren and Mark can get in the way and screw you.

I feel yesterday´s results took away from us an awesome head to head.

Advertisement

#3202 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,859 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:06

What I am saying is that TO ME it is beginning to look like he feels under pressure

From P5 to P2 in the second fastest car of the grid, if he is under pressure, it's not showing on the tarmac.

#3203 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:09

Fernando maybe virtually won the championship today.

Because if Ferrari manages to turn it around, it's gonna be very close in the standings. Those 3 points he took from Webber (+ those from the Maccas) are vital.

#3204 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:10

Great race from Alonso today, really respect his driving :up:

#3205 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,750 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:11

From P5 to P2 in the second fastest car of the grid, if he is under pressure, it's not showing on the tarmac.

Not to take (much) away from Fernando's drive but had Mark's KERS not broken he most likely would've finished 2nd. But as it is car+driver combo, FA+SF did better than RBR+MW.

#3206 robefc

robefc

• 8,020 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:12

:up:

I have got say, I loved it when Alonso was pwning those McLarens into turn 4. :D

It was nuts, as a Lewis fan I was anxiously watching him v button as they were side by side...and then alonso just absolutely steamed past them!

Great racing between the 3 of them over the next couple of corners, all absolutely going for it and not giving an inch more than they needed to - the last 5 words are why it was great driving between great drivers.

#3207 Sinceref189

Sinceref189

• 585 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:12

Great race from Alonso today, really respect his driving :up:

:up:

#3208 mindmill

mindmill

• 56 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:13

Personally speaking, Fernando seems a bit "butthurt" and I don't get it. I'm not trying to say he should be looking happy or anything but he is looking more that a bit downbeat.

He's had a great season personally on his part so nothing to feel bad about there. He's done his job.

I don't get why he suddenly feels the need to keep pointing out it's really hard to beat RedBull. Yes Fernando we know, RBR have the best car right now and they are winning the races, that's how F1 works, best car wins.

It's almost as if he feels under pressure or someone is suggesting he's not that good, only no one is doing that at least out in the open. If anything he has had the concensous best or at the very least equal best season this year.

Totally agree here. He's doing a great job this season, unfortunely for him there's currently a package out there that is doing an even better job and you get the impression it's getting to him. And besides, if Ferrari somehow magically pull a rabbit from a hat at Abu Dhabi and make a huge step forward, I doubt you will here Fernando say: "Well, it's not (just) me, my competitors have to beat my superior Ferrari first."

#3209 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:14

Because if Ferrari manages to turn it around, it's gonna be very close in the standings. Those 3 points he took from Webber (+ those from the Maccas) are vital.

Problem is next race is Abu Dhabi, it doesn't suit Ferrari plus overtaking is a nightmare. If Vettel is going to have a DNF that would be the perfect race.

#3210 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:16

Totally agree here. He's doing a great job this season, unfortunely for him there's currently a package out there that is doing an even better job and you get the impression it's getting to him. And besides, if Ferrari somehow magically pull a rabbit from a hat at Abu Dhabi and make a huge step forward, I doubt you will here Fernando say: "Well, it's not (just) me, my competitors have to beat my superior Ferrari first."

It will be interesting to see into which extent this will develop if Vettel wins this title and RB is the best car in next year. I remember him being much more laid back about this in 2011 even though he was miles from Vettel from the start.

#3211 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,484 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:17

Alonso start and fight with McLarens

#3212 dav115

dav115

• 716 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:18

I think Brundle summed up how well Alonso is driving: "he's up the road from a world class teammate in Massa...just where would he be in that Red Bull"

Just a shame he's going to be robbed of a well deserved WDC this season.

Edited by dav115, 28 October 2012 - 12:18.

#3213 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:20

It wasn't clear that Ferrari had the 2nd and 3rd fastest cars out there.
Alonso has that something extra whilst he sniffs points, shown by his pace against webber who had a much quicker car.
I would have expected Alonso to be in the same position in a McLaren today.

#3214 Acathla

Acathla

• 118 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:22

He's the 'Il Leone' of this time.

#3215 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,484 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:26

I liked the aggressive driving of Fernando today. Valencia-style! I cannot get rid of the feeling that I have missed it in the last few races. It goes much better when he is attacking than defending!

Posted Image

Edited by jstrains, 28 October 2012 - 12:30.

#3216 Snic

Snic

• 565 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:30

Problem is next race is Abu Dhabi, it doesn't suit Ferrari plus overtaking is a nightmare. If Vettel is going to have a DNF that would be the perfect race.

It's the track that best suits Ferrari of the ones remaining. Lots of tight corners needing good traction. If Alonso can't do it here his title challenge will be over even with a vettel dnf!
Austin has some corners that couldn't have suited RB more if newey had designed the track himself, and at Brazil Alonso will be praying for rain..

Edited by Snic, 28 October 2012 - 12:32.

#3217 robefc

robefc

• 8,020 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:35

Hmmmm Fernando on Sky saying there must be a bad atmosphere in the mclaren team because lewis and JB were fighting each other...one senses his definition of a good atmosphere in a team is where the teammates don't compete...:p

#3218 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,641 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:35

Alonso stirring the McLaren pot in his interview. :lol:

#3219 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,438 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:36

Alonso super confident in his Sky interview "we will remember this race"

Ferrari must have something in the pipeline!

Advertisement

#3220 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,700 posts

Alonso stirring the McLaren pot in his interview. :lol:

What did he say?
Edit; OK, I see the comments above.

Edited by garoidb, 28 October 2012 - 12:36.

#3221 Massa

Massa

• 4,330 posts

Hmmmm Fernando on Sky saying there must be a bad atmosphere in the mclaren team because lewis and JB were fighting each other...one senses his definition of a good atmosphere in a team is where the teammates don't compete...:p

He is right... Alonso could pass them both because they were fighting each others... It was silly.

#3222 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:40

It's the track that best suits Ferrari of the ones remaining. Lots of tight corners needing good traction. If Alonso can't do it here his title challenge will be over even with a vettel dnf!
Austin has some corners that couldn't have suited RB more if newey had designed the track himself, and at Brazil Alonso will be praying for rain..

Traction on the corners is what Ferrari lacks the most, even Fernando said that in the post race interview.

#3223 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:44

He is right... Alonso could pass them both because they were fighting each others... It was silly.

As a Lewis fan I was glad, I was hoping they wouldn't hold alonso up in his chase for Vettel. Besides Lewis, Alonso really deserves the championship this year, they have both performed the best and if Lewis doesnt get it I would want alonso to.

#3224 Massa

Massa

• 4,330 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:49

Already 30 podiums with Ferrari for Alonso. 10 podiums each year. Since Bahrein 2010, only Vettel had been better with 35 podiums.
For comparisons, Webber and Massa had 34 podiums since the start of their career.

9 wins since Bahrein 2010. Only Vettel had been better with 21 wins (!!!)

#3225 bmardini

bmardini

• 326 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:55

Great race by Alonso today, really made the most of it

Abu dhabi is going to be tough:

- Turn 1 is a medium speed corner that Ferrari should be ok in
- Turn 2 is a high speed corner where you have to monster the inside kerb, good direction change into T3 is important
- Turn 3 is high speed as well, rear end stability is vital, no kerb
- Turn 4 is not really a corner
- Turn 5 rewards stability under braking since you brake all the way to turn 6, and you attack the kerb
- Turn 6 is mickey mouse
- Turn 7 is the mother of all low speed corners / traction.
- Turn 8/9 again is all about braking and traction
- Turn 10/11/12 is all about quick direction changes, stability under braking (into 10) and stability over the kerbs
- Turn 13 is an off-camber left, getting on the power early and a stable rear end is important
- Turn 14/15 are basically flat out
- Turn 16 is slow and annoying, really easy to get the back loose and that compromises you into 17 under the hotel
- Turn 17 is a matter of how early can you turn in, monster the kerb and get away with it
- Turn 18 is playing chicken with the wall on exit
- Turn 19 is medium speed and needs a car that can tolerate the apex kerb without having to lift
and finally Turn 20 is a low speed right where traction is king as usual

Track has Red Bull written all over it, unless Ferrari is much better over the kerbs... I predict Alonso P7 in quali unless something dramatic changes on the car. The 2 or 3 straights are all but immaterial, top speed is irrelevant, its all about traction on exit.

#3226 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:56

Agreed. Personally I feel it's part of his personality to not be able admit defeat very well and feel insecure, constantly trying to convince or remind everyone he's the best.

These drivers have been paying sport psychologists most of their careers. Sports psychology is massive on this level.
Some of the posters on the last 3 pages should have researched that, before embarrassing themselves.

The most obvious emotions from any driver, is the frustration that they don't have the best car. That's their number 1 aspiration every race weekend from when they were 8 years old.

#3227 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,837 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:58

Anything but angelic behavior only shows that Alonso is the devil himself. Edit: And I'm pretty sure if that happens he will be the first to thank his team for giving him a great car, but equally sure that something else will be found to complain about.

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 28 October 2012 - 13:10.

#3228 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 13:01

The good and the bad about Alonso is he is driven, maybe even more the MS was. He wants to win, he wants the best so he can achieve that, he will go to the team that will best achieve that aim. He has matured a lot in the last few years but he still has that single mindedness.

#3229 Blackmadonna

Blackmadonna

• 125 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 13:11

The good and the bad about Alonso is he is driven, maybe even more the MS was. He wants to win, he wants the best so he can achieve that, he will go to the team that will best achieve that aim. He has matured a lot in the last few years but he still has that single mindedness.

The mindset of a real champion. One of the many reasons why i admire him so much, thank you for pointing that out. Could not have said it any better (minus the 'bad')

#3230 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 714 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 13:32

And I am amazed at the number of haters in this thread, and in similar ones. Seriously, those of you who so much dislike the guy - what is your reason for spending so much time in this thread? I would expect people who come here or to any other driver or team thread to be either supporters or neutrals who want to exchange reasonable opinions (including constructive criticism) about the driver/team. Instead of that, there are plenty of people who write on those threads just to try and ridicule people who are, in all likelihood, far more successful than those who spam bitterness about them. From my point of view that is quite sad, even pathetic.

It is a very good sign anyway. The only criticism people can give Alonso so far is from whatever he says in interviews, twisting his words so they can fit into their own views. That is even funnier coming from the fans of the driver who call other drivers "stupid", or throw his gloves to the camera. Talking about cracking under pressure or looking down...
And there is more, when someone mention flexiwings, engine maps, suspensions, etc... they say that if there was not penalty is because there was nothing wrong. Which is very fair until you mention Vettel penalties this season and Alonso 0 penalties. Then the criteria changes suddenly, then the penalties applied are unfair...

#3231 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,083 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 13:53

Q. Which of the three teammates you have had in Formula One — Fernando Alonso, Heikki Kovalainen and Jenson Button — was the most important to you?

LH: Fernando — because he’s the best. He’s very, very good. I have the utmost respect for Fernando, and I have always said that he is the best driver and I learned so much from that guy. But this is my family, and when I leave it’s on hopefully good terms. And, unfortunately, at the time it was not on good terms when he went to Renault. But nonetheless we have both grown so much and he’s doing a phenomenal job. And I hope that if I don’t win the championship, I don’t mind if he wins it because he deserves it, he is just a phenomenal driver. Driving alongside him was really good fun.

source: nytimes

Edited by Raziel, 28 October 2012 - 13:53.

#3232 camberley

camberley

• 375 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 13:59

I liked the aggressive driving of Fernando today. Valencia-style! I cannot get rid of the feeling that I have missed it in the last few races. It goes much better when he is attacking than defending!

Great picture of Alonso - Thx ! I have saved a copy

#3233 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,859 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 14:03

Q. Which of the three teammates you have had in Formula One — Fernando Alonso, Heikki Kovalainen and Jenson Button — was the most important to you?

LH: Fernando — because he’s the best. He’s very, very good. I have the utmost respect for Fernando, and I have always said that he is the best driver and I learned so much from that guy. But this is my family, and when I leave it’s on hopefully good terms. And, unfortunately, at the time it was not on good terms when he went to Renault. But nonetheless we have both grown so much and he’s doing a phenomenal job. And I hope that if I don’t win the championship, I don’t mind if he wins it because he deserves it, he is just a phenomenal driver. Driving alongside him was really good fun.

source: nytimes

Lewis diminishing Vettel again, pretty sad :lol: :vettelfandixit:

#3234 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,837 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 14:15

Lewis diminishing Vettel again, pretty sad :lol: :vettelfandixit:

And Button, apparently he needs to talk him down because he wasn't able to convincingly beat him. :p

#3235 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,859 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 14:42

Posted Image

Crazy first lap.

#3236 mattferg

mattferg

• 847 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 14:43

How did he even remotely get anwhere closer to winning the championship this race!? Vettel increased his lead on the only track left that suits the Ferrari.

#3237 P123

P123

• 8,414 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 14:47

No he couldn't. He could only pass one during their battle. If one had chosen not to fight, i.e not to slipstream, then Alonso would have passed on the long straight. But they are racing drivers, and free to fight. Perhaps seeing teammates battle it out on track is alien to some, even describing it as 'silly'.

#3238 P123

P123

• 8,414 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 14:50

Posted Image

Crazy first lap.

:up: and a crazy good 7th gear.

#3239 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 14:54

The wierd thing is, you get the trolls like ASP and MichaelPM etc who bear a grudge, but if you get beyond them, the two drivers and there fans who have the biggest respect for the respective drivers are alonso and lewis.

Advertisement

#3240 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 14:58

:up: and a crazy good 7th gear.

yeah, thats was unbelievable, he went past like he had a turbo.

#3241 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,397 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:40

yeah, thats was unbelievable, he went past like he had a turbo.

Hamilton and Button had their previous corner compromised because they were battling. It´s not like the Ferrari was much faster in the straight, just Alonso starting to accelerate earlier. Remember there is no DRS in the first lap.

#3242 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:46

Just a well done move from Alonso. Lots of cleverness and thinking in the first corners. But also kudos to the two McLaren drivers who left enough space.

#3243 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 714 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 15:57

I really enjoy those battles between Alonso and Button or Alonso and Hamilton, very good racing and no dirty moves from anybody as far as I remember.

#3244 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:12

I really enjoy those battles between Alonso and Button or Alonso and Hamilton, very good racing and no dirty moves from anybody as far as I remember.

Yeah - as the commentators stated, "this is the way to race".

#3245 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,859 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:26

Some praise from the team.

Stefano Domenicali:

“What a race that was from Fernando, simply amazing! Yesterday, he’d said he would tackle this race like a sixty lap qualifying session and he was true to his word: on the attack from start to finish, the only one from the top ten on the grid to make up places by the end. This second place is all down to his talent, to his aggressive approach and the fact he never wants to give up, backed up by a team that is doing the maximum to give him a car that is worthy of him."

Fry:

"With a driver like this, we can fight all the way to the end"

Edited by kosmos, 28 October 2012 - 16:27.

#3246 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,322 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:30

Another stunning drive from Fernando. It's a shame for him that the Ferrari has only been close to the front at the end of the season as it's been one of his best ever seasons, driven as good or better than his title winning seasons.

Hamilton and Button had their previous corner compromised because they were battling. It´s not like the Ferrari was much faster in the straight, just Alonso starting to accelerate earlier. Remember there is no DRS in the first lap.

As Brundle pointed out he had a double draft from the two McLarens who were side by side infront of him. Ferrari also geared and winged their car to take advantage of this in the race, something none of the other teams seem to do these days. They'd rather gain a tenth in Q than be able to overtake/defend in the race when the points are handed out (McLaren and Red Bull have been guilty of this a few times this year).

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 28 October 2012 - 16:34.

#3247 steferrari

steferrari

• 278 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:37

An amazing amazing drive from Fernando today.
In my opinion one of his best of the season.
It will be really a shame if his performances won't be crowned with the world title, let's hope Ferrari can improve even more the F2012 for him. Forza !

#3248 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:42

It will be a schame if Fernando won't win the title after such impressive season

#3249 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,286 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 17:19

10/10 drive today.

#3250 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 18:14

Well done, CHAMP! :up: :up: :up:

Fernando, your fighting spirit is so inspiring!!! :clap:

If there were a championship trophy awarded for tenacity, you would win, hands down! :love: Sadly, there isn't, but you've given yourself and Ferrari a fighting chance to win the REAL DRIVERS CHAMPIONSHIP with just 3 checkered flags left! You've been competing with a handicap all season -- driving a car that started the season woefully inferior to the best teams, to one that is now only slightly slower. The men and women at Maranello are busting their asses to give you the few tenths you need to compete on an even footing. Your admirers...and even some of those who detest you...know that having Nando in an F2012 that is on par with the RB8 is all you need to seize the crown! You've raced like a champion all season, now you just need to hoist the hardware that goes along with it!

As you heard from the crowd in India, millions of fans are cheering you on! Now go and DO THIS! God Speed! :cool: :cool: :cool: