• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4015 replies to this topic

#3251 camberley

camberley

• 351 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 18:35

FA tweet

Fernando Alonso‏@alo_oficial

If breaks the sword,fight with your hands.If they cut your hands,push the enemy with your shoulders,even with your teeth #samurai #IndiaAlo

Advertisement

#3252 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 18:38

He might not win, but he's picking up more and more supporters.

#3253 camberley

camberley

• 351 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 18:41

He might not win, but he's picking up more and more supporters.

He WILL win !

#3254 pRy

pRy

• 10,845 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 18:52

It will be a schame if Fernando won't win the title after such impressive season

I've felt that for a while now. So many 110% performances. I can't remember the last time someone suggested Alonso had suffered an "off day". He drags that car to the very best of it's potential every race. It's quite something to watch. And as you say, another title lost in the last part of the season will be a great shame for Ferrari but more so for Fernando. It could be argued the team will have let him down and not for the first time either.

#3255 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,000 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 18:53

He's won me over, fantastic race :up:

It will be a tragedy if he doesn't win this year's championship.

#3256 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,878 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 18:54

:up: and a crazy good 7th gear.

Yeah, after seeing the race I think Ferrari went overkill on the straight line speed. The could have sacrificed a bit to be a little faster in other sections of the track.

Earlier in the race. I think it was just after the pit stops... He got very close to Webber entering turn 3 and I thought he would definitely pass him but then I saw Webber had a back marker ahead and had the use of DRS too. Had he passed there I think he could have pressured Vettel more especially since the car was dialled in on the primes.

Anyway, just thought I'd pop in to congratulate him on a fantastic race especially since I was particularly harsh on him yesterday.

#3257 CF22

CF22

• 386 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 19:01

He WILL win !

Yes he will. Fantastic race as always.

#3258 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,992 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 19:19

I've never wanted a driver to win the championship so much before in all my life. Hell, I've never wanted anyone or any team to win anything so much. He's been astonishing not only this year but last year too, and at least this year he's getting more credit for it. But I have a feeling heartbreak lurks in my future once again...

Having said all that, I have every confidence he will wring every last bit of performance from that car and then probably a little bit more from it that it doesn't even technically possess. What more can anyone ask of him? And if anyone can beat Red Bull, he can.

Go, Fernando!

#3259 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 681 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 19:56

I follow him since the Minardi days and for some reason it is only now, in this season, that I can feel my heart beating like crazy on the start and first lap of every race. And it is getting worst everytime. Thank god for good or for bad it is just three more races, otherwise I should go to the doctor :lol:

Advertisement

#3260 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,518 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 20:04

I've never wanted a driver to win the championship so much before in all my life. Hell, I've never wanted anyone or any team to win anything so much. He's been astonishing not only this year but last year too, and at least this year he's getting more credit for it. But I have a feeling heartbreak lurks in my future once again...

Having said all that, I have every confidence he will wring every last bit of performance from that car and then probably a little bit more from it that it doesn't even technically possess. What more can anyone ask of him? And if anyone can beat Red Bull, he can.

Go, Fernando!

He will be remembered for these races even if he does not win the championship.

#3261 igoru

igoru

• 116 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 20:50

I follow him since the Minardi days and for some reason it is only now, in this season, that I can feel my heart beating like crazy on the start and first lap of every race. And it is getting worst everytime. Thank god for good or for bad it is just three more races, otherwise I should go to the doctor :lol:

I like this one :)

#3262 fdspd

fdspd

• 100 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 21:10

What was good to see was that he had that element back in his driving which I think was missing in Korea and a couple of races before that. He was so good to watch today that the even the usually fault-finding Brundle had to admit that he'd like to see Alonso in a Red Bull.

#3263 canaus

canaus

• 162 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 21:30

He is very impressive during first 2-3 laps, I've never seen a driver making up so much places during first laps. When others struggle to find the braking point in those first corners he is bang on.

Today the fight with the 2 McLarens was so enjoyable, so much driving skill from all three of them. Kudos to Jenson and Lewis. :up:

#3264 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 1,690 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 21:34

5994502[/url]']
FA tweet

Fernando Alonso‏@alo_oficial

If breaks the sword,fight with your hands.If they cut your hands,push the enemy with your shoulders,even with your teeth #samurai #IndiaAlo

Am I the only one thinking about monty pythons black knight :rotfl:
But great race, we're up for some exciting races

#3265 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,691 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 21:45

Am I the only one thinking about monty pythons black knight :rotfl:
But great race, we're up for some exciting races

No, I chuckled as well

#3266 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 23:27

It was a nice race by Fernando but unfortunately I think his WDC is over unless something happened to Vettel (like a retirement, and we are aproaching a moment that not even like that the WDC would be possible).

Still, I hope Vettel finishes every single race and that still Alonso takes the title, but again, my hopes are really small right now.

#3267 PorcupineTroy

PorcupineTroy

• 290 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 23:54

I don't think I've ever cheered for Fernando so much since his first races in 2001. I mean no disrespect to Sebastian Vettel, who uses his RB8 to dominate races, but Alonso has been the class of the field this year.

#3268 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,582 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 23:57

It will be a tragedy if he doesn't win this year's championship.

:up:

#3269 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 808 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 00:03

The biggest tragedy would be if he remains with "just" two WDCs until the end of his career. And I am affraid that is possible with this Red Bull domination.

#3270 redbarron

redbarron

• 299 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:48

The biggest tragedy would be if he remains with "just" two WDCs until the end of his career. And I am affraid that is possible with this Red Bull domination.

Even if Alonso ends up with just two World Championships, he will be remembered for his racing and as one of the greats. Races like India, Valencia and Malaysia this year will go down in history as the most memorable of modern F1 drives. When Vettels name is mentioned it might be with more WDC's along side it but Adrian Neweys name will always be mentioned in the same breath.

#3271 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:53

How did he even remotely get anwhere closer to winning the championship this race!? Vettel increased his lead on the only track left that suits the Ferrari.

Go back to school or read more books mate, my sentence is perfectly clear, provided you're a minimum litterate.

#3272 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:55

Even if Alonso ends up with just two World Championships, he will be remembered for his racing and as one of the greats. Races like India, Valencia and Malaysia this year will go down in history as the most memorable of modern F1 drives. When Vettels name is mentioned it might be with more WDC's along side it but Adrian Neweys name will always be mentioned in the same breath.

Second that :up:

#3273 HPT

HPT

• 1,156 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:02

Where did I say in post that I have a problem with him expressing his opinions?

He expressed his opinion and then I commented on it. Where's the problem?

It sure sounds like you have a problem. If not you'd probably be here talking about his driving instead of psychoanalyzing his comments.

#3274 decoder

decoder

• 105 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:19

Senna'a best year was arguably 1993, when Prost easily win the title in dominant machinery. This will be the same for Alonso. Michael never won the title from 95-2000 despite being by far the best driver, and a bunch of Newey pretenders won it, much like is happening now. The order will eventually be restored. Vettel will not be rated very high in history if the best he could do was win titles in dominant cars and beat Mark Webber.

#3275 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,524 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:17

He is very impressive during first 2-3 laps

He has gained 39 or 40 positions this year only in the first lap or laps. And we used to have people here saying he is not a good overtaker....lol

#3276 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 425 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:50

I really enjoy those battles between Alonso and Button or Alonso and Hamilton, very good racing and no dirty moves from anybody as far as I remember.

Alonso has named Button and Webber as the drivers he likes to race against wheel to wheel the most as they know where the invisible barriers are :up:
The battles with Hamilton are more exciting though,more intense and it brings out the absolute best of Alonso's wheel-to -wheel racing against a formidable late braker.2 races in a row Alonso has passed Hamilton on the 1st lap. :clap:

I believe Alonso when he says he will win this title.His self belief is immense and has a powerfull positive effect on the team.I've always been so impressed with Alonso as an Enigma; usually massively realistic but with that awesome self belief and confidence also.

#3277 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:25

Go back to school or read more books mate, my sentence is perfectly clear, provided you're a minimum litterate.

....oops...

...should be literate, only one t...

:smoking:

#3278 likeRacing

likeRacing

• 33 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:28

Great driving from Alonso.. Ferrari need massive improvement. Not sure what upgrades Ferrari have for Abu Dhabi but Alonso really needs to win the race there. It is sad that the best driver doesn't look to be in the driving seat for the WDC. Abu Dhabi looks like RB all over and if Alonso finishes 2nd in Abu Dhabi, then Vettel can come 3rd in the last 2 races and still be WDC by number of Wins.

#3279 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:08

....oops...

...should be literate, only one t...

:smoking:

Pardon my English, it is only my fourth language, I learned it a few years ago.

Advertisement

#3280 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:39

Alono´s problem is that Vettel is driving on nearly the same level in a slightly better car.

#3281 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,878 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:39

Alono´s problem is that Vettel is driving on nearly the same level in a slightly better car.

Alonso's problem is that Red Bull have DDRS. I don't think that they will be beaten in qualifying but if Alonso can qualify 3rd then it's game on.

Right now, by the time he gets free of the McLaren's the Red Bull's are long gone. The onus is on Ferrari to improve 1 lap pace.

#3282 as65p

as65p

• 17,143 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:45

Alonso's problem is that Red Bull have DDRS. I don't think that they will be beaten in qualifying but if Alonso can qualify 3rd then it's game on.

Right now, by the time he gets free of the McLaren's the Red Bull's are long gone. The onus is on Ferrari to improve 1 lap pace.

It will obviously remain speculation, but I don't see how he could have improved on his second place if he'd qualified third. Not even in the best of cases, if he'd overtaken Webber during the first laps. The only unknown would have been that it would have made Vettel/RB a bit less comfortable having Alonso directly behind all race, but pacewise I reckon Vettel would have won it just as easily.

#3283 decoder

decoder

• 105 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:47

That's really wishful thinking considering he was slower than Webber once he got past the Mclarens let alone Vettel who was cruising 90% of the race. If you watched the live timing, there were moments when Vettel pushed and went miles faster than Alonso was going at the time.

#3284 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:51

Even if the car's improved performance doesn't help him to catch Vettel, it's important to get it, because it would mean putting more pressure on him, forcing him to go even faster.

And that's when errors/breakdowns occur.

#3285 PedroR

PedroR

• 97 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:19

Second that :up:

Me too :up: :up: :up: :up:

#3286 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,992 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:43

He will be remembered for these races even if he does not win the championship.

Yeah, for me number of WDCs won is way less important than how a driver drives the car available to him and the spirit they put into the whole thing. Whether or not he actually wins another championship or not will not affect how I see him. In fact, Lewis Hamilton summed up my thoughts on this whole thing yesterday when he said:

"I think this year he has driven so well, more so than anyone else has. Here he drove phenomenally well and is just holding on. In my eyes, he really is a three or four-time world champion.”

Having said all that, I want to see that championship win unbelievably desperately for the obvious reason of how much it would plainly mean to him. I want to see an ecstatic Alonso in Brazil rather than the heartbreaking spectacle of him having to put on yet another brave face about how things turned out.

#3287 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,450 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:51

Some nice shots from yesterday s race

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3288 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,878 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:57

It will obviously remain speculation, but I don't see how he could have improved on his second place if he'd qualified third. Not even in the best of cases, if he'd overtaken Webber during the first laps. The only unknown would have been that it would have made Vettel/RB a bit less comfortable having Alonso directly behind all race, but pacewise I reckon Vettel would have won it just as easily.

Fair enough but I don't think Vettel would have win it just as easily.

That's really wishful thinking considering he was slower than Webber once he got past the Mclarens let alone Vettel who was cruising 90% of the race. If you watched the live timing, there were moments when Vettel pushed and went miles faster than Alonso was going at the time.

The Ferrari was not quite as fast on the soft tyre, which has become trend lately that also needs to be eradicated, but I believe that if he hadn't lost as much time behind Button he could have kept the gap smaller and attacked on the primes.

Anyway, the real problem is qualifying higher and applying pressure immediately instead of first having to overtake cars.

#3289 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,524 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:32

Hamilton:

"It's inappropriate for me to say who is the more deserving," he was quoted as saying by the Guardian.

"I am a fan of Fernando's - I was a fan even before I got into Formula 1 - and I think this year he has driven so well. More so than anyone else.

"Sebastian has stepped up a lot at the end of the year with the improvements on his car. But Fernando is still pushing. Today he just drove phenomenally well and he's just holding on, still.

"For me, in my eyes, he really is a three or four times world champion."

Although he has been repeated in his public lauding of Alonso this season, Hamilton has been cooler in his praise towards Vettel, who is on course to become a triple world champion at the age of just 25.

Indeed, just days after suggesting the German had been "lucky" to continue having such a competitive car in the years following his maiden title win, he has hailed the man behind the Red Bull creations, Adrian Newey, a "genius" in wake of the team's four straight victories.

"Seeing Sebastian dominate the last few races doesn't come as a surprise because the Red Bull has been dominant for the past few years," The Sun quoted Hamilton as saying.

"They seem to have a great capacity to improve the car. Adrian is just a genius. I can't even imagine what he's doing. He is a one-off.

"I've seen their speed - there was no way I could compete with that. Even if I drive at 200 per cent and crash, I can't match it."

http://www1.skysport..._medium=twitter

The "I'm a fan" part made me chuckle.

#3290 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,020 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 13:17

Alonso what a drive :up: :up: :up:

Edited by ViMaMo, 30 October 2012 - 01:39.

#3291 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 14:09

Truly amazing, those words from Lewis.

I remember this picture where they stand together during the parade lap, can't find it.

#3292 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 681 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 14:31

To be honest, I remember Lewis talking about being Fernando's fan back in 2007, in an interview at Valencia at the team presentation, so he is not making that up...

#3293 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,691 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 15:11

The Ferrari was not quite as fast on the soft tyre, which has become trend lately that also needs to be eradicated, (...)

Luckily, the soft is only used in Abu Dhabi together with the mediums. The final races are medium & hard

#3294 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,878 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 15:15

Luckily, the soft is only used in Abu Dhabi together with the mediums. The final races are medium & hard

That's good news if you're an Alonso/Ferrari fan. The gap to Red Bull on the harder tyres is not that evident. It brings McLaren into the equation as well though.

I still maintain that a couple of tenths improvement in outright pace will see Alonso and the new Massa really take it to the Bulls.

Edit: Apparently there is a storm headed in the direction of Abu Dhabi as well.

Edited by Ferrari2183, 29 October 2012 - 15:17.

#3295 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,691 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 15:23

That's good news if you're an Alonso/Ferrari fan. The gap to Red Bull on the harder tyres is not that evident. It brings McLaren into the equation as well though.

I still maintain that a couple of tenths improvement in outright pace will see Alonso and the new Massa really take it to the Bulls.

Edit: Apparently there is a storm headed in the direction of Abu Dhabi as well.

Yeah well, if Ferrari does not manage to stay in front of McLaren, then they simply have no claim to this championship. Sucks for Alonso after the season he had, but what can you do. I guess my point is that we have to assume that Ferrari can stay in front of McLaren under any circumstances, simply because else we do not need to have this discussion :)

I agree that a couple of tenths might suffice. Not necessarily because I am sure the gap is not larger (though I don't buy into the 0.5/0.6 some posters claim). But, like I wrote so many times since yesterday, because a couple of tenths would probably put Vettel & RBR under pressure, and anyone who has watched sports at all (not only F1) knows that anything can happen then.

#3296 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,691 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 15:34

To be honest, I remember Lewis talking about being Fernando's fan back in 2007, in an interview at Valencia at the team presentation, so he is not making that up...

Makes it even more sad how everything crashed and burned - not only Fernando's dreams shattered, but Lewis's as well. It was a cursed year. But all the happier the way it developed between them since.

#3297 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,524 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 15:39

Any info about this:

F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio

Alonso told not to move brake balance rearwards (mostly in Italian)

#3298 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,992 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:46

Truly amazing, those words from Lewis.

I remember this picture where they stand together during the parade lap, can't find it.

This year they've been hanging out together at the drivers' parade in a lot of the races but maybe you mean this one?

Posted Image

It is nice to see them patching up their differences as much as they have. Hamilton has said a few rash comments about Alonso along the way in 2007 (and beyond) in the heat of the moment after various races but I've always reckoned he genuinely really admires him as a driver and as a person. I remember how very impressed he was when Fernando walked into the McLaren garage to personally congratulate him on winning the WDC in 2008, for instance.

#3299 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,450 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 17:45

Did he do that really?

Advertisement

#3300 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,992 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 18:13

Did he do that really?

Yes.

"It was great to see him in the garage. He came over as I saw my team, I turned round and he was there - just to wish me congratulations. Then he said congratulations to the rest of the team. I had a huge amount of respect for him already, but it took a big man to come and do that so I was very thankful to him." - Lewis Hamilton, 2008.

James Allen was also an eyewitness account to it all. Apparently Fernando checked with Pedro de la Rosa that the garage didn't contain Ron Dennis before he went in to dispense goodwill.

Edited by SophieB, 29 October 2012 - 18:14.