Photo

Fernando Alonso - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4015 replies to this topic

#3401 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:51

You've got to hand it to Fernando... a fantastic race once again.

IfithadntbeenforGrosjean... :cry:

That incident with Grosjean was outside of his control.

But had he exercised a bit more caution in Suzuka, he could still be leading the championship.

Advertisement

#3402 Ashitank

Ashitank

• 394 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:54

This coming from Lewis fan , Supporting Alonso for WDC , come on Alonso , beat that finger boy.

#3403 joshb

joshb

• 3,336 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:23

Definately on a knife-edge now! 1 DNF for Seb and I think it could be curtains. Likewise for Alonso but does that Ferrari ever look like breaking down?

Are you happy to reduce the gap by 3 or annoyed it didn't turn out better

#3404 fnz

fnz

• 2,138 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:25

... does that Ferrari ever look like breaking down?

Spa 2012 :|

#3405 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:26

Definately on a knife-edge now! 1 DNF for Seb and I think it could be curtains. Likewise for Alonso but does that Ferrari ever look like breaking down?

A bit of both, as far as i'm concerned i'm delighted that the gaps decreased considering Vettel could've been out of reach without the penalty last night but i expected the gap to be reduced by more.

#3406 e34

e34

• 718 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:41

That incident with Grosjean was outside of his control.

But had he exercised a bit more caution in Suzuka, he could still be leading the championship.

Guess who made the following posts

Posted on: May 28 2012, 15:00

Not to mention Karthikeyan took him out in Malaysia and deprived Vettel of 12pts there.

Posted on: May 30 2012, 11:57

In Malaysia, Vettel was leading Webber and closing in on Hamilton for the podium position but his race was ruined by Karthikeyan.

Double standards anyone?

#3407 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 741 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:51

Delivering all the time.
The best Formula 1 driver.

#3408 prty

prty

• 5,222 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:55

It wasn't real champagne at this race, right?

Posted Image

:lol:

#3409 mattferg

mattferg

• 847 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:57

Guess who made the following posts

Posted on: May 28 2012, 15:00

Posted on: May 30 2012, 11:57

Double standards anyone?

Except that Karthekayan got a penaltyin Malaysia for his contact with Vettel, so it was clearly his fault. The issue with Raikkonen has no official causer, but it's generally accepted by most that Alonso should've been more careful.

#3410 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:59

Very disappointed even though it's a great result for him.

Don't know what to think anymore, this is very disturbing.

I'm tired, so tired...

#3411 mattferg

mattferg

• 847 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:04

Or perhaps the car is so random no one knows why it was quick/slow...

Anyway the car must improve because if Alonso was given a top car, he'd take pole positions in the dry make no mistake about it. I'm disappointed with him doing a 41.59 (worse than Q2 and barely faster than Massa) and claiming he reached the maximum... that is BS from a driver that has such self-belief it's always the car, never him. Luckily he drives like a god during long runs on high fuel that he scores high more often than not anyway. But no he's not a driver that would outqualify Vettel or Hamilton over a season in equal cars. He'd probably outscore both though. Hats of to Alonso for his season in general, but he seems to think he's infallible and perhaps that's not what will make him a new Schumacher in the red corner. Regardless of how his car was compared to Häkkinen - Michael never publicly commented that Mika was a second-rate driver or things like that. He did it with other drivers, but not with the guy who beat him.

That said should you put Alonso in a 1998 Ferrari up against Vettel in a 1998 McLaren - I think Alonso would win in spite of the car disadvantage. He knows how to drive cars that handle like beasts like I haven't seen since Schumacher. When the RBR car was poor this season Webber was ahead of Vettel in the standings...

Err no he wasn't. Before Valencia Vettel was leading the standings in front of your boy Alonso. Sorry.

#3412 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 954 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:05

It is not important if he reduced the gap by 3 or 10 points if can't beat Vettel in 2 remaining races, do you agree?

#3413 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:06

http://www.marca.com...1351521561.html

On my first try, I got:

Austin: FA 2 SV 3
Brazil: F1 1 SV 2

288 points each, SV champion :(

Edited by Ravenak, 04 November 2012 - 17:07.

#3414 rileyl

rileyl

• 462 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:08

It wasn't real champagne at this race, right?

Posted Image

Greetings from the Lewis camp.....beat that finger boy!........but it seems to me that all the luck is on that side!

#3415 e34

e34

• 718 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:10

Except that Karthekayan got a penaltyin Malaysia for his contact with Vettel, so it was clearly his fault. The issue with Raikkonen has no official causer, but it's generally accepted by most that Alonso should've been more careful.

Karthikeyan got a penalty by default, and even so, had Vettel overtaken him with a little more care, and not as if he was going to dissapear in thin air, he would have 12 more points today.

If anybody is going to remember Alonso's incident, he should also remember Vettel's one, because Vettel had it easier to avoid it.

#3416 Motorbreath

Motorbreath

• 188 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:10

Don't know what to think anymore, this is very disturbing.

I'm tired, so tired...

Me too, this season has taken its toll on me, I am so nervous and tired, sometime I wish Vettel already won this WDC so no more stress for me :(

#3417 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,459 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:11

A bit of both, I would have taken this result before the weekend and definitely after practice/Q3 but I can't help but be a little disappointed we didn't reduce the gap by more. At the same time Fernando maximised his chances again and he can't control where Vettel finishes.

It's certainly all to play for but if Seb wins Austin with Fernando P3 it's curtains, and that isn't all that unlikely. On the other hand I think Ferrari will be stronger in Austin and there are apparently more upgrades on the way. Only think I know for sure is it's gonna be a long two weeks.

Good luck to the both of them, nothing less than perfection will suffice.

#3418 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,422 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:16

I'm tired, so tired...

Me too, we went from crap qualifying, to Vettel last, to scoring a lot of points to reduce the gap, to having a real chance to win the race, to end with only -3 points. But I guess it wasn't meant to be.

#3419 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 954 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:22

Me too, we went from crap qualifying, to Vettel last, to scoring a lot of points to reduce the gap, to having a real chance to win the race, to end with only -3 points. But I guess it wasn't meant to be.

And if Vettel finished, let's say, seventh, and Fernando second, it would be just one point but if Red Bull is going to be faster in Austin and Brazil, it's not important. It's important that Fernando somehow finishes in front of Vettel in both of remaining races.

Advertisement

#3420 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,211 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:26

Yet we do not give up - Fernando has not given up. Remember his gestures towards the Scuderia on the podium. Remember also what Vettel said to his team: "I told you, boys: never stop believing!"

It is really this: in the end the mental factor, the belief, the relentlessness and ability to never give up is what makes winners. So, guys, don't give up! Fernando said it already: he will be happy in Brazil!!!

Alonso will win in Austin, Vettel will score less than 12 points in Texas. Interlagos will bring us great joy and sunshine in our hearts! It is only over when it is over, and it will be over with the sweet taste of victory!

#3421 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:27

And if Vettel finished, let's say, seventh, and Fernando second, it would be just one point but if Red Bull is going to be faster in Austin and Brazil, it's not important. It's important that Fernando somehow finishes in front of Vettel in both of remaining races.

IMO, I think he does need more than that ===> one DNF from Vettel, juste ONE.

Because only finishing twice in front of Vettel isn't gonna be enough. Imagine finishing on the same amount of points (VET champion in any case) or just 1 or 2 points behind VET, like in 2010.

NO. It needs to be a clear cut, at least one 25/0 or 18/0.

Damn, how this is annoying.

Edited by Ravenak, 04 November 2012 - 17:28.

#3422 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,422 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:31

Yet we do not give up - Fernando has not given up.

I don't give up either, but it was an exausting weekend :p

#3423 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 1,238 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:35

He didn't seem happy did he. I'd be so annoyed!!

#3424 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 954 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:43

IMO, I think he does need more than that ===> one DNF from Vettel, juste ONE.

Because only finishing twice in front of Vettel isn't gonna be enough. Imagine finishing on the same amount of points (VET champion in any case) or just 1 or 2 points behind VET, like in 2010.

NO. It needs to be a clear cut, at least one 25/0 or 18/0.

Damn, how this is annoying.

He needs two wins and that is enough for the title. You all need to realize this was the worst track for F2012 out of remaining 3.

#3425 Pep

Pep

• 1,046 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:51

I think Brazil will be the first circuit since Monza in which Ferrari can have a winner car, so if there's one circuit in which Alonso can win it's that.

But yes, Alonso has little chances, Vettel has a killer car, and barring crazy races / rain, etc., he has the WDC in his pocket.

#3426 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,422 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:55

Fernando Alonso ‏@alo_oficial

Another one!!!! Fantastic race!!!

Posted Image

#3427 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 741 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 18:20

A samurai work without hesitation, without the fatigue confess or the slightest discouragement until complete the goal

Posted Image

#3428 prty

prty

• 5,222 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 18:41

Posted Image

#3429 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 18:44

A samurai work without hesitation, without the fatigue confess or the slightest discouragement until complete the goal

Posted Image

A gif of this moment would be awesome

#3430 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 19:02

Fernando, your clutch performance today stirs the soul. :love:

YOU NEVER...EVER QUIT!!! :up: :up: :up:

There was some grumbling after quali when things looked a bit tough, then elation when Vettel was penalized...then, for some it's back to grumbling and doubt. But THE TRUTH has always been that you have no control over where other drivers finish, or if midfield drivers prefer to play bumper cars, allowing those behind to make up many places. You can only control how you perform on the circuit, and how you performed today, and in fact, all season, has been simply masterful!

This will sound like hyperbole, but watching your performance behind the wheel allows me to envision what Leonardo Da Vinci might have been like had he been a racecar driver! You are a true genius in the art of motor racing. :clap: :clap: :clap: David Hobbs called you "inhuman" today, then modified that to "super human" as he reached for words to describe your magnificence. You leave your admirers struggling for new ways to describe how you always charge through the field and squeeze every ounce of performance out of yourself and the F2012. I believe you will win the championship for Ferrari this year because no one wants it more, no one motivates their team as much and no one is as much of a leader. Right before my eyes, you have grown into the most complete driver I have seen in my almost 25 years of watching F1, and that period includes Senna and Prost and Schumacher.  ;) Ferrari love you and the team will do anything to help you win, just as you always give everything to the team. Your pairing is truly a match made in Heaven. Continue to work tirelessly and with purpose, and to believe in yourselves and each other. Then after the checkered flag falls in Brazil you can look back with awe at all you've accomplished this year, but not a moment before. :cool:

It has been an absolute pleasure to watch you work. Your will to win is truly inspiring and humbling.

#3431 pRy

pRy

• 11,014 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 22:08

http://www.marca.com...1351521561.html

The one positive for Fernando is he knows if he wins the next two races and Seb finishes second, Fernando wins the title. If Ferrari can provide him with an opportunity that allows him to win either race is another matter. The other scenarios aren't so pretty.

#3432 as65p

as65p

• 17,803 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 22:37

The one positive for Fernando is he knows if he wins the next two races and Seb finishes second, Fernando wins the title. If Ferrari can provide him with an opportunity that allows him to win either race is another matter. The other scenarios aren't so pretty.

This. Even before this race it was obvious that, aside from DNFs, he had to finish all three races in front of Vettel. With no small help from a little Red Bull incompetence, one down, two to go, as of now.

Overall chances were slim before this race, and they're about the same now. Which is good, all things considered.

#3433 Snic

Snic

• 571 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 22:44

This. Even before this race it was obvious that, aside from DNFs, he had to finish all three races in front of Vettel. With no small help from a little Red Bull incompetence, one down, two to go, as of now.

Overall chances were slim before this race, and they're about the same now. Which is good, all things considered.

Austin is the BIG one. Just say he finishes in front of Vettel there.. Not only does that put huge huge pressure on RB, but Brazil always has a chance of rain.. and we know what Fernando did at Silverstone and Hockenheim when the clouds opened up.

Fernando needs to nail the Austin track in Q3 to give himself any chance.

#3434 Lights

Lights

• 9,885 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 22:46

The biggest takeaway for Fernando is that Red Bull didn't look as strong this weekend as in Japan, Korea and India. If the current forms remain, he still has a small chance but realistically, if nothing goes against Vettel I don't see Fernando clawing back 11 points. Red Bull already messed up this weekend but it hardly hurt Vettel, not that likely bad luck will strike for him again soon.

Ultimately, words won't do anything. You can argue Alonso is the most impressive driver this season but the title is the title, and Alonso has to win it or else he won't be happy in Brazil and neither will his fans.

#3435 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 23:05

He needs two wins and that is enough for the title. You all need to realize this was the worst track for F2012 out of remaining 3.

If this is going to be the worst track for the F2012 out of the remaining races then that pretty much pushes my hopes up. But I'll wait and see for that really, hope you're right.

#3436 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 23:09

Austin is the BIG one. Just say he finishes in front of Vettel there.. Not only does that put huge huge pressure on RB, but Brazil always has a chance of rain.. and we know what Fernando did at Silverstone and Hockenheim when the clouds opened up.

Fernando needs to nail the Austin track in Q3 to give himself any chance.

pressure is the same across the board. If Vettel wins Austin and Alonso gets stuck behind Webber and the two McLarens then Vettel is world champion.

#3437 Zhuk

Zhuk

• 88 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 23:37

Friends let us pray for Fernando over the next few weeks and maybe god's favour will shine on him :) we know he deserves this championship after an amazing season!

#3438 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:36

Right after qualifying today´s result would´ve been phenomenal for him - right before the race however...

I´m more the "the glas is half full"-type in that matter.

#3439 underdog13

underdog13

• 27 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:16

Fernando, your clutch performance today stirs the soul. :love:

YOU NEVER...EVER QUIT!!! :up: :up: :up:

There was some grumbling after quali when things looked a bit tough, then elation when Vettel was penalized...then, for some it's back to grumbling and doubt. But THE TRUTH has always been that you have no control over where other drivers finish, or if midfield drivers prefer to play bumper cars, allowing those behind to make up many places. You can only control how you perform on the circuit, and how you performed today, and in fact, all season, has been simply masterful!

This will sound like hyperbole, but watching your performance behind the wheel allows me to envision what Leonardo Da Vinci might have been like had he been a racecar driver! You are a true genius in the art of motor racing. :clap: :clap: :clap: David Hobbs called you "inhuman" today, then modified that to "super human" as he reached for words to describe your magnificence. You leave your admirers struggling for new ways to describe how you always charge through the field and squeeze every ounce of performance out of yourself and the F2012. I believe you will win the championship for Ferrari this year because no one wants it more, no one motivates their team as much and no one is as much of a leader. Right before my eyes, you have grown into the most complete driver I have seen in my almost 25 years of watching F1, and that period includes Senna and Prost and Schumacher.  ;) Ferrari love you and the team will do anything to help you win, just as you always give everything to the team. Your pairing is truly a match made in Heaven. Continue to work tirelessly and with purpose, and to believe in yourselves and each other. Then after the checkered flag falls in Brazil you can look back with awe at all you've accomplished this year, but not a moment before. :cool:

It has been an absolute pleasure to watch you work. Your will to win is truly inspiring and humbling.

i hope this comes true, as you have said it so well.

Advertisement

#3440 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,422 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:27

Posted Image

This guy is amazing, he is not going to give up, even if they cut him one arm. He is the glue that hold the F1 team, a team made of high quality individuals, we only need a little more speed.

Some prise from the team:

Fry:

Once again, Fernando delivered an amazing performance, getting everything he could out of the car, both in qualifying and in the race. When strategy does not allow for many variables it’s always difficult to make up places but this evening and eight days ago in India, he showed what he’s made of. These two second places are worth much more than the 36 points they have brought him.

Domenicali:

“Yet another great race from Fernando in what is an amazing season for him. Today’s second place came about mainly because of his ability to get the most and maybe even a bit more than that out of what we gave him to work with.

To end this, a quote from the man himself:

"The best race of the year? It’s still to come...”

Edited by kosmos, 05 November 2012 - 06:28.

#3441 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:19

This years WDC fight is unique, as Vettel and Alonso are so similar in character. Both do not give up and will fight to the end. It is impressive to see what Fernando does with the Ferrari.

#3442 bmardini

bmardini

• 326 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:24

This years WDC fight is unique, as Vettel and Alonso are so similar in character. Both do not give up and will fight to the end. It is impressive to see what Fernando does with the Ferrari.

Vettel is a supreme talent but he's still young and bratty. I can see myself being a huge fan of him in 3-4 years time.

Conversely, I've been a fan of Alonso since 2004, but believe me there were moments in 2006/2007 when he was getting on my nerves... now he's just pure class.

#3443 camberley

camberley

• 438 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:35

I have this strong feeling that the team is only a small eureka away from a significant breakthrough that will make the F2012 the fastest on the grid for the last 2 races. What Alonso has done is brought the team time 2 more weeks to do so and Pat Fry and the team are going to come through

I'm very optimistic that Alonso will be WDC this year - Forza Alonso, Forza Ferrari !!!

Edited by camberley, 05 November 2012 - 07:35.

#3444 fnz

fnz

• 2,138 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:37

@camberley: i'ld love to have your spirit. :)

#3445 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:48

Vettel is a supreme talent but he's still young and bratty. I can see myself being a huge fan of him in 3-4 years time.

Conversely, I've been a fan of Alonso since 2004, but believe me there were moments in 2006/2007 when he was getting on my nerves... now he's just pure class.

Considering his age, I think Vettel is fantastic. I am no fan of Vettel, but his knowledge of F1 history and honest interest in it, his fighting spirit and ability to motivate the team are very similar to Fernado imho. Fernando comes acroos as a little more intellectual, while Vettel seems a little more easy going, but I think the real difference is small. As a complete driver package I rate them both very highly.

#3446 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,143 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:54

Fernando has finished 11 times on the podium this season, thats the highest this season for any driver. (Including wins). :up:

Edited by ViMaMo, 05 November 2012 - 07:57.

#3447 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,422 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:44

Fernando has finished 11 times on the podium this season, thats the highest this season for any driver. (Including wins). :up:

31 podiums out of 56 since he joined Ferrari, that's 55% of the races he started he was on the podium, it's an awesome stat.

#3448 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:31

There was one bit of data from Alonso's race that impressed me more than anything else, and it will be controversial as it's a point that has been debated and scoffed at by many.

ALONSO OUTPERFORMED THE F2012! ;)

I know some say "Impossible!," but the computer simulation says, "Oh yes he DID!" :cool:

Fernando says the computer simulation had them finishing 4th or 6th, but they finished 2nd, owing to Lewis' retirement, and some fantastic racing/passing. That's why Domenicali mused that Alonso's "second place came about mainly because of his ability to get the most, and maybe even a bit more than that, out of what we gave him to work with."

So, I know it annoys some folks who think Alonso receives too much praise for his driving, but the simple fact is that he overperformed his car, according to the computer models. Don't be mad, tho. I'm sure he doesn't do that very often. :lol:

Link Here! : )

Edited by PoleMan, 05 November 2012 - 09:33.

#3449 Torsion

Torsion

• 627 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:26

There was one bit of data from Alonso's race that impressed me more than anything else, and it will be controversial as it's a point that has been debated and scoffed at by many.

ALONSO OUTPERFORMED THE F2012!;)

I know some say "Impossible!," but the computer simulation says, "Oh yes he DID!" :cool:

Fernando says the computer simulation had them finishing 4th or 6th, but they finished 2nd, owing to Lewis' retirement, and some fantastic racing/passing. That's why Domenicali mused that Alonso's "second place came about mainly because of his ability to get the most, and maybe even a bit more than that, out of what we gave him to work with."

So, I know it annoys some folks who think Alonso receives too much praise for his driving, but the simple fact is that he overperformed his car, according to the computer models. Don't be mad, tho. I'm sure he doesn't do that very often. :lol:

The problem is that the computer simulation would not have accounted for Lewis's retirement, and Maldanado's KERS failure. So if you put that in, then the 4th place predication becomes a 2nd place predication. I am not trying to say anything about Fernando's driving, but I strongly feel that just because the driver beats the prediction of the simulation, it doesn't mean by any means that he outperformed the car. Simulations and computer models are very limited in comparison to what actually happens in the real-world.

Edited by Torsion, 05 November 2012 - 10:29.

#3450 fastdriver

fastdriver

• 575 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:31

ALONSO OUTPERFORMED THE F2012!;)

This is funny :lol: