Photo

Fernando Alonso - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4015 replies to this topic

#301 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 20:55

Trully inspiring drive from Fernando. Wonderful wonderful race. Congratulation for Fernando and his men to Ferrari. What a race.

I say Fernando is the king of track as of 2012!

Advertisement

#302 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 21:17

Fernando Alonso On 'Emotional' Win: BBC F1 2012 - Round 8: European GP

VIDEO

#303 nada12

nada12

• 458 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 21:34

In a season where it's that close, he is really making a difference in a car that is thereabouts, but never really pace-setting. Whatever chance he gets he'll grab and just when you think he doesn't quite have the material he'll somehow vault himself up there. Never liked the guy and will continue to root against him for various reasons but at this point he is the only one who deserves the championship. Great, great job so far.

#304 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 21:44

Vettel.

I laughed quite bit reading this :lol:

#305 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 21:51

3 races, 50 points - mission accomplished.

This is one of the qualities of Fernando that make him without parallel - how accurately he can predict. He did that already in 2010 and nearly predicted his way into the WDC, bar the last race mess-up. What a strong mind, what a strong zeal. Definitely the most complete driver now, and one of the most complete drivers in history.

At this point he is knocking on the door of the all-time top five

Senna/Fangio/Clark/Schumacher/Prost

and, in my humble opinion, he is already better than Prost. Let's see how he continues - a number of WDCs for Ferrari would be just suiting my taste, he definitely would deserve it.

I'd like to call it

Senna/Alonso/Fangio/Clark/Schumacher in a few years time.

If Alonso had had a little more luck with the cars he's gotten, we would be talking about the best driver in history here.

Edited by SirRacer, 24 June 2012 - 21:51.

#306 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 1,035 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 21:54

Ill just say this....Thank you, Fernando.

#307 rt99

rt99

• 180 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 22:00

If Alonso had had a little more luck with the cars he's gotten, we would be talking about the best driver in history here.

Spot on. He beat schumacher two years on the trot in not the best car with schumacher at his prime. He also joined Ferrari when they were in a worse state than when schumacher joined and did a better job with a worse car.

#308 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,548 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 22:08

Spot on. He beat schumacher two years on the trot in not the best car with schumacher at his prime. He also joined Ferrari when they were in a worse state than when schumacher joined and did a better job with a worse car.

Schumacher was not at his vintage prime when Alonso beat him in 2005-2006. And you can't be kidding yourself when comparing Schu went to Ferrari in 1996; they did not even have a design office in until 1997. The Ferrari F60 was a better car than the F310 which Schu had.

I really like Fernando, I think he's the best today; but when he joined Ferrari, it was much better than Schu was there in 1996.

#309 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 22:11

Schumacher was not at his vintage prime when Alonso beat him in 2005-2006. And you can't be kidding yourself when comparing Schu went to Ferrari in 1996; they did not even have a design office in until 1997. The Ferrari F60 was a better car than the F310 which Schu had.

I really like Fernando, I think he's the best today; but when he joined Ferrari, it was much better than Schu was there in 1996.

:up:

#310 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,209 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 22:13

Awesome drive from Fred. Really is doing a brilliant job in a non-dominant car.

#311 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,459 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 22:27

I personally think Fernando is as good as Schumi was in his prime, if not better.

Today summed up why Ferrari took Fernando over Kimi. Alonso emerged from the pits just in front and despite the Lotus being quicker all weekend he got through the traffic 4 seconds quicker and then after the SC he passed Kimi's team mate while Kimi made an error and fell behind Hamilton.

#312 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 22:29

Yeah let's just calm down a little here. for sure Alonso is one of the legends (Fangio, Ascari, Lauda, Stewart, Clark, Prost Schu Senna etc., but for the best driver in history you could say the same with many other drivers.

Many believe if Senna hadn't tragically passed away he would have made records, likewise Clark, and if Lauda had stayed with Ferrari, if Schumacher went to Williams he could have maybe had even more success etc.

Judge Fernando at the end of his career.

#313 Heasven

Heasven

• 214 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 22:38

Best Driver in the the World.

Simple as that. :up:

#314 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 22:45

I laughed quite bit reading this :lol:

Laugh all you want. With the tightest field ever he gets poles by several tenths and drives away from other top tier cars. He´s the man right now. No disrespect to Alonso, he´s stunning, and his race was a masterpiece. But Vettel is the boss right now.

Edited by Skinnyguy, 24 June 2012 - 22:52.

#315 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 22:59

Laugh all you want. With the tightest field ever he gets poles by several tenths and drives away from other top tier cars. He´s the man right now. No disrespect to Alonso, he´s stunning, and his race was a masterpiece. But Vettel is the boss right now.

With the tightest field ever he got beaten in qualy in the first races by Webber until RBR got back the off-throttle.

Vettel "greatness" is made by that little blowing gadget and by the dominant cars RBR was/is able to give him.

Vettel wouldn't last two rounds against Fernando were they team-mates.

Edited by SirRacer, 24 June 2012 - 23:00.

#316 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 23:00

Yeah let's just calm down a little here. for sure Alonso is one of the legends (Fangio, Ascari, Lauda, Stewart, Clark, Prost Schu Senna etc., but for the best driver in history you could say the same with many other drivers.

Many believe if Senna hadn't tragically passed away he would have made records, likewise Clark, and if Lauda had stayed with Ferrari, if Schumacher went to Williams he could have maybe had even more success etc.

Judge Fernando at the end of his career.

After a win like today's i think it is possible to indulge ourselves a little. As to the mention of Senna - yes - He died at the peak of his skills when he could still have set "records" but I believe that the only thing that really counts is not cold statistics but what people FEEL about a driver - what we perceive from their efforts. If cold statistics were all, Michael Schumacher would hands down be the best driver ever - yet in polls, opinion pieces and the opinions of ex and current drivers he regularly finishes behind (depending upon the poll) Senna, Clark, Stewart, Fangio, Prost....

Heck - Gilles Villeneuve won only 6 races and NO world championships - but in an "all time list of best drivers" he'll usually finish in the top ten - same with Moss - no championship - but the respect is there. Why? Because, like Fernando did today, they could work magic on the track, and do things that were seemingly impossible. Fernando's win today will become part of his legend. Remember Senna's performance at Donington? Schumacher's performance in the wet in Spain in 1996? Villeneuve's wins in Spain and Monaco in 1981? This win will have the same resonance - it is different - the weather may have been different, the cars are FAR different, but the achievement is the same.

#317 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,690 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 23:03

After a win like today's i think it is possible to indulge ourselves a little. As to the mention of Senna - yes - He died at the peak of his skills when he could still have set "records" but I believe that the only thing that really counts is not cold statistics but what people FEEL about a driver - what we perceive from their efforts. If cold statistics were all, Michael Schumacher would hands down be the best driver ever - yet in polls, opinion pieces and the opinions of ex and current drivers he regularly finishes behind (depending upon the poll) Senna, Clark, Stewart, Fangio, Prost....

Heck - Gilles Villeneuve won only 6 races and NO world championships - but in an "all time list of best drivers" he'll usually finish in the top ten - same with Moss - no championship - but the respect is there. Why? Because, like Fernando did today, they could work magic on the track, and do things that were seemingly impossible. Fernando's win today will become part of his legend. Remember Senna's performance at Donington? Schumacher's performance in the wet in Spain in 1996? Villeneuve's wins in Spain and Monaco in 1981? This win will have the same resonance - it is different - the weather may have been different, the cars are FAR different, but the achievement is the same.

:up: well said!

#318 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 23:03

With the tightest field ever he got beaten in qualy in the first races by Webber until RBR got back the off-throttle.

Vettel "greatness" is made by that little blowing gadget and by the dominant cars RBR was/is able to give him.

Vettel wouldn't last two rounds against Fernando were they team-mates.

Fernando doesn´t deserve the fan base he has. He´s way better than this :rolleyes:

#319 beanoid

beanoid

• 5,247 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 23:12

All I can say is--F*** YEAH!!

That was some great stuff. Never expected it to happen. Loved the tears on the podium. He has really grown up quite nicely over the past couple of years (and I say this as a fan of his since Minardi in 2001).

Advertisement

#320 prty

prty

• 5,220 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 23:15

Vettel "greatness" is made by that little blowing gadget and by the dominant cars RBR was/is able to give him..

Sums it up :up:

#321 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 23:18

That was some great stuff. Never expected it to happen. Loved the tears on the podium. He has really grown up quite nicely over the past couple of years (and I say this as a fan of his since Minardi in 2001).

It was great, even for a non Alonso fan. :up: Nice to watch him so emotional... he knew how important and hard it was what he had achieved.

#322 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,819 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 23:20

Fernando fans (and I am one) should just enjoy a great victory and not use it to dump on Vettel.

#323 zeph

zeph

• 767 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 23:38

Absolutely overjoyed with this great (if lucky) victory!

#324 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,800 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 23:43

Schumacher was not at his vintage prime when Alonso beat him in 2005-2006.

That comment is laughable at best. It cracks me up when people make excuses based on nothing.....coming off 4 straight WDCs and Schumacher was not at his prime in 2005? Get a grip.

#325 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 23:46

Fernando fans (and I am one) should just enjoy a great victory and not use it to dump on Vettel.

Agreed - Vettel is a great racer - and I'm pretty sure that Alonso himself would be the first to agree. Off-blowing? Tea trays? Double steps? All teams try for these - all teams work to circumvent the rules to their advantage - it's been going on for 63 years.... If Red Bull have a found a legal loophole - good on them - the rest must adapt - if not -(if it's found to be illegal) they'll be sanctioned.

As to Vettel - if he DOES have the good fortune to be in the fastest car, is this reason to slag him> Senna was in the fastest car at times - so was Schumacher, Button, Hamilton, Alonso, Prost Mansell, Piquet, Hunt, Lauda, Clark, Stewart, Rindt, Andretti, Brabham, Moss, Fangio, Hawthorne, Hill, Ascari etc etc.

Vettel has earned our respect - if he hasn't earned yours you may want to ask yourself why.

#326 boyRacer

boyRacer

• 644 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 00:12

Not a long time ago, I posted here that who wins 2nd GP this year will be the World Champion. And here he is...
Posted Image

Domenicali came late? lol :lol:

#327 ASFA2011

ASFA2011

• 298 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 00:17

Domenicali came late? lol :lol:

It is nice to see Massa genuinely happy for Alonso's success in that pic

#328 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,853 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 00:35

God damn that Alonso is one amazing driver.

#329 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 00:51

God damn that Alonso is one amazing driver.

Praise Indeed! - Cheers! :wave:

#330 exmayol

exmayol

• 555 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 00:57

That was one amazing result! Awesome drive! Sure SV and RG retirements helped but being in the right time at the right place on a consistant basis is a hell of a skill too!

#331 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,213 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:13

I don't recall seeing anyone really mentioning Vettel much at all until someone said "Vettel is king". I understand not everyone thinks Fernando is the best driver on the grid, that's cool, but they should definitely expect a response around here if you know what I mean. I wasn't one of them & haven't posted until now, just calling it how I see it.

Back to the topic at and, great, fantastic drive from Magic Alonso. Yes there was some luck today on his side, but he seized the opportunity today like he's done all season when it's presented itself. Some luck or not he drove a great race. The WDC is definitely down to 3 drivers right now: Fernando, Vettel & Hamilton. AvantiFer :up:

#332 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,548 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:27

That comment is laughable at best. It cracks me up when people make excuses based on nothing.....coming off 4 straight WDCs and Schumacher was not at his prime in 2005? Get a grip.

Anyone who has watched Schumacher's career, knows that 1997-2000 was absolute prime Schu.

#333 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:49

anyone who still doesn't believe that Alonso i sthe very best out there...needs to wake up. ONCE AGAIN a fantastic drive by Alonso and I absolutely loved his celebration with the fans.

#334 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,140 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:56

I dont want to tout Alonso is the best since No.1 position is a knife's edge. But is he not driving just great? Superb drive from him.

#335 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:03

Excellent race by Alonso! He is going to be hard to catch in the championship.

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 25 June 2012 - 04:03.

#336 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,416 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:05

Video with all the overtakes he did, on track and pit, 13 overtakes.

#337 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:05

I am speechless. Never though Alonso could pull it off from P11 but he did. He was unlucky in 2007 and 2010, maybe this is his year to be a 3 time WDC!

Great drive. :up:

#338 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,140 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:09

Red Bull/Vettel will be faster for couple of races I think. This season will be very tough with the field packed so closely, any mistakes in strategy/pit stops will mean a big penalty points wise. Maybe consistency is the key this season.

#339 beanoid

beanoid

• 5,247 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:32

I don't really dislike anyone on the grid. They're all supremely talented and deserve our respect, particularly the guys at the sharp end. Vettel is class.

Advertisement

#340 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:35

Red Bull/Vettel will be faster for couple of races I think. This season will be very tough with the field packed so closely, any mistakes in strategy/pit stops will mean a big penalty points wise. Maybe consistency is the key this season.

And consistency is Alonso's middle name. :D

#341 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 858 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:50

I was almost right about Valencia's predictions:

Posted Image

#342 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 432 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:55

Video with all the overtakes he did, on track and pit, 13 overtakes.

Great find Kosmos!

To be honest I would count the overtakes as 9 which is still incredible on such a track with a reputation for lack of overtaking.

1.Button **
2.Di Resta **
3.Hulkenberg
4.Maldonado
5.Webber **
6.Senna
7.Schumacher **
8.Di Resta
9.Grosjean **

Koba and Kimi he did through great strategy and speed into pitstops.
Hamilton by superior Ferrari teamwork in the pits
Vettel by a bit of luck aswell as a Robust F2012.

** denotes outstanding racing manouvers.

Honestly.This win by Alonso has to go down as one of the greatest "racing" performances in the 62 year history of Formula One :D

#343 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:57

I am speechless. Never though Alonso could pull it off from P11 but he did. He was unlucky in 2007 and 2010, maybe this is his year to be a 3 time WDC!

Great drive. :up:

:up: :up: Unbelievable drive!

#344 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:08

I was almost right about Valencia's predictions:

Posted Image

37% accuracy is almost right ;););)

#345 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,416 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:30

Posted Image

There is more from Spain but you get the idea. Tomorrow was a big day for Italy in the Eurocup, not much space for Alonso, but it's logical, football is football.

This one is from a digital "magazine", the pic is amazing.

Posted Image

Edited by kosmos, 25 June 2012 - 06:33.

#346 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:03

Also, this was the only win made by a driver starting outside the top 10 since singapore 2008 (also by Alonso)

Impressive if you ask me! Pure racing (no pun intended to Vettel)

Edited by SirRacer, 25 June 2012 - 08:04.

#347 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 1,350 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:07

Posted Image

There is more from Spain but you get the idea. Tomorrow was a big day for Italy in the Eurocup, not much space for Alonso, but it's logical, football is football.

Wow ! Can I copy that pic as a memory of a fantastic sunday afternoon! :love:

#348 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 858 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:16

37% accuracy is almost right ;););)

Sure, a bit of joke, but I had no way of really knowing that Webber will start 18-th and Alonso 11-th, still, I was lucky enough :) VET for pole wasn't hard, though ...
Great drive from Alonso, paramount win when your main opponents are DNF.

#349 Cesc

Cesc

• 940 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:28

The F2012 is not the fastest car, but definetely Alonso is putting some superb performances. It is still incredible that he is leading the championship with significant difference (given the level of competition this year) after such a bad start!!! He really deserves the title once for all!

#350 Lights

Lights

• 9,884 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:40

1.Button **
** denotes outstanding racing manouvers.

Err? The guy almost bogged down at the start.