• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4015 replies to this topic

#3451 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,943 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:53

Posted Image

All the astonishing driving and stuff like the spirit shown in that fantastic gif keeps alive my hopes of him winning the championship.

Advertisement

#3452 Goron3

Goron3

• 547 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:05

All the astonishing driving and stuff like the spirit shown in that fantastic gif keeps alive my hopes of him winning the championship.

I love this gif, he really is relentless, isn't he? I've got to admit that I agree, I'm in awe of the man.

I never used to like Alonso as a person, but man has he won me over. His fighting spirit is something which I've never seen before, even with Schumacher who was more 'robotic' with his emotions apart from the odd moment here or there.

Regardless of who wins the championship, Alonso is undoubtedly one of the greatest drivers of all time. If he wins the title, it will be one of best won championships in the modern era. If he loses it, it will be the best performance from a non-championship winning driver since Senna in 93 and Schumacher in 98. Exceptional.

#3453 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:09

Guess who made the following posts

Posted on: May 28 2012, 15:00

Posted on: May 30 2012, 11:57

Double standards anyone?

Not really.
In Malaysia, Kathikeyan was adjudged by the FIA to be the party at fault. Hence, he was duly penalized.

In Suzuka, Raikkonen was not penalized. I am not even sure if there had been an investigation by the FIA into the incident. But for somebody fighting and leading the championship, Fernando should have exercised a bit more caution.

#3454 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,523 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:02

Not really.
In Malaysia, Kathikeyan was adjudged by the FIA to be the party at fault. Hence, he was duly penalized.

In Suzuka, Raikkonen was not penalized. I am not even sure if there had been an investigation by the FIA into the incident. But for somebody fighting and leading the championship, Fernando should have exercised a bit more caution.

You're right! :up:

He should have driven into Bruno Senna and broken part of his wing, then crashed into a DRS sign on the other side of the wing to balance it out. THAT is the way Championship leading drivers should get it done! ;)

Edited by PoleMan, 05 November 2012 - 12:04.

#3455 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:26

This years WDC fight is unique, as Vettel and Alonso are so similar in character.

I don't think there are similar at all to be honest.

#3456 03011969

• 429 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:51

Quite - not similar in character at all.

Similar in both pushing until the end regardless to get the best possible result out of the car - certainly, and I think what the original person may have meant.

Having a party? - Invite Vettel.
Have a philosophical discussion on existentialism? - Invite Alonso.

#3457 Blackmadonna

Blackmadonna

• 125 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:55

Similar in both pushing until the end regardless to get the best possible result out of the car - certainly, and I think what the original person may have meant.

If you think Fernando can't throw a party you are very wrong.

#3458 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 966 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 13:39

Posted Image

This, this has given me hope! Seeing his passion is a true sight.

#3459 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,651 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 16:23

There was one bit of data from Alonso's race that impressed me more than anything else, and it will be controversial as it's a point that has been debated and scoffed at by many.

ALONSO OUTPERFORMED THE F2012!;)

I know some say "Impossible!," but the computer simulation says, "Oh yes he DID!" :cool:

Fernando says the computer simulation had them finishing 4th or 6th, but they finished 2nd, owing to Lewis' retirement, and some fantastic racing/passing. That's why Domenicali mused that Alonso's "second place came about mainly because of his ability to get the most, and maybe even a bit more than that, out of what we gave him to work with."

So, I know it annoys some folks who think Alonso receives too much praise for his driving, but the simple fact is that he overperformed his car, according to the computer models. Don't be mad, tho. I'm sure he doesn't do that very often. :lol:

Link Here! : )

It's funny, but what he outperformed was their computer model. Seems it's not only their tunnel that's faulty ;)

Advertisement

#3460 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,901 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:35

It's funny, but what he outperformed was their computer model. Seems it's not only their tunnel that's faulty ;)

Well, Lewis did retire, and Vettel obviously started at the back. So they were thereabouts.
Alonso = beast. He is just amazing. Abu Dhabi and India, just wow.

To do all that, and then go on the podium and show that passion is something else...

By the way, he has now got 1.2 million followers on twitter, same as Button and more than Lewis, I believe.

#3461 fastdriver

fastdriver

• 575 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:44

Man this forum always picks my mood up :)

I love you guys. :kiss:

#3462 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:53

Perhaps the computer model suggested that Button should have gone past and Alonso then being stuck head to head with Vettel in combat or something...

#3463 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,414 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 19:08

I suspect the computer model didn't have Vettel in the equation and expected Alonso to be battling Kimi and Maldonado for P4, P5 and P6.

#3464 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,785 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 19:12

I don't wanna be an ass here, but you won't believe what some guys wrote in the Räikkönen thread when somebody brought up the comment by a Ferrari engineer that Kimi drove the F2009 quicker than they thought it was possible - according to their computer models. Bitching about Kimis widows, delusion and so on for some pages. With Alonso it suddenly seems to be a different story.

Well if I'm in here, congratulations to your boys strong race and the close racing he and Räikkönen had towards the final laps. I really do hope Fernando can pull the WDC on his side now in the last two races, he's overdue for his third crown and I won't bear another finger party this year.

Edited by Jovanotti, 05 November 2012 - 19:23.

#3465 Lone

Lone

• 608 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 19:42

Race computer simultations have nothing to do with out performing the car. It's a prediction about where the car can logically end based on starting position, overtaking possibility and probable speed based on free practises and qualifying. A probability at best but as the events of races can't be predicted it has no actual bearing. And it's based on what Alonso can do with the car he has and not what the car itself is possible of.

But you don't need a simultation to see that Alonso drove a perfect race, probably his best this season in my opinion considering what's at stake, but saying he out performed the car is a little bit ridiculous.

He did great, more than great but let's not make it silly.

#3466 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,523 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 20:44

Race computer simultations have nothing to do with out performing the car. It's a prediction about where the car can logically end based on starting position, overtaking possibility and probable speed based on free practises and qualifying. A probability at best but as the events of races can't be predicted it has no actual bearing. And it's based on what Alonso can do with the car he has and not what the car itself is possible of.

But you don't need a simultation to see that Alonso drove a perfect race, probably his best this season in my opinion considering what's at stake, but saying he out performed the car is a little bit ridiculous.

He did great, more than great but let's not make it silly.

Don't get so worked up, dude! No wonder you're (A)Lone! :lol:

I said a few times that he "outperformed the Ferrari computer model," and put up Domenicali's response to show how he felt Alonso performed stronger than seemed possible with the F2012 kit he had.

It was light-hearted, but I knew it would make some people's heads explode. Thanks for not disappointing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by PoleMan, 05 November 2012 - 20:46.

#3467 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 21:20

If you think Fernando can't throw a party you are very wrong.

Fernando can throw the best parties even with inferior booze.

Edited by LiJu914, 05 November 2012 - 21:29.

#3468 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,445 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 21:29

Fernando has finished 11 times on the podium this season, thats the highest this season for any driver. (Including wins). :up:

Nice stat! I felt sorry for him he didn't catch the Schumacher record (consecutive points finishes)

#3469 currupipi

currupipi

• 1,179 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 21:40

:rotfl:
good one

#3470 CF22

CF22

• 386 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 00:26

This, this has given me hope! Seeing his passion is a true sight.

I've been saying it since he mentioned the 5 podiums, 2 more podiums and he wins the WDC, I'm sure of it.

#3471 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,171 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:59

This goes to show you clearly have no idea about Alonso. He is nuts and always joking, less now that is older, but he was always making jokes.

Look at 5:07 for example... "do you like this picture? I sell it to you" and then "tssss don't touch!!!"
Or 5:26 "damn!!! quick, take a picture of the photographer... have you seen those chains hanging?"
Or 31:36 "Now I'm gonna make some joke"... and pretends he is having a phone argument...

Edited by Nitropower, 06 November 2012 - 03:06.

#3472 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 651 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:01

Posted Image

Posted Image

I loved his expression on the podium, he looked quite down and tired one minute before, so I was not expecting that great reaction from him.
I like all the samurais references he does all the time, but in the other hand it is too obvious to me the similarities between a samurai dying with honor at the battlefield and Alonso losing the title fight despite his excellent driving this season.
So I really hope that we don't have to read a similar thing from him in his twitter. :)

#3473 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,028 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:04

Yeah, Fernando can party with the best of 'em. As we saw in 2005 and 2006.

#3474 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:40

I have this strong feeling that the team is only a small eureka away from a significant breakthrough that will make the F2012 the fastest on the grid for the last 2 races. What Alonso has done is brought the team time 2 more weeks to do so and Pat Fry and the team are going to come through

I'm very optimistic that Alonso will be WDC this year - Forza Alonso, Forza Ferrari !!!

It's called wishful thinking.......

#3475 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,429 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:05

http://www.thef1time...s/display/06943

Interesting article about who deserve the title most.

#3476 camberley

camberley

• 350 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:00

I have this strong feeling that the team is only a small eureka away from a significant breakthrough that will make the F2012 the fastest on the grid for the last 2 races. What Alonso has done is brought the team time 2 more weeks to do so and Pat Fry and the team are going to come through

I'm very optimistic that Alonso will be WDC this year - Forza Alonso, Forza Ferrari !!!

It's called wishful thinking.......

Keep watching .. check back here after Brazil

I have full confidence in the Alonso and the team

#3477 bmardini

bmardini

• 326 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:37

Its still such a long shot eh? Would really be incredible if FA were to win... Vettel did well to stay in contention during the first half of the season - but then again we did have 7 winners from 7 races - but in the 2nd half of the season the RB8 has been the best car without a doubt. So its hard to really get excited for yet another Vettel WDC. In 2009 I was hugely rooting for SV because I was so against Button & Brawn. It just isn't fun when you win half a dozen races in a row. From pole. By over half a second. Then in 2010 obviously I was for FA and frankly that was an awesome season - incredible racing season without Pirelli or DRS. 2011 was a snoozefest and 2012 has been great but I wasn't a fan of how on any given Sunday a random car could win, just like that. Just gave me the feeling that a car could "switch on" or "switch off" and that would determine who would be in front.

#3478 decoder

decoder

• 105 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:46

How did Alonso score less than Vettel in qualifying and only 13/20 when he has beaten his team mate in every qual this season, the best record of the season.

#3479 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:53

Indeed, am I'm glad they're not.  ;)

Advertisement

#3480 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:35

Indeed, am I'm glad they're not. ;)

As persons no, as race drivers, I think yes.

#3481 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,943 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:53

This goes to show you clearly have no idea about Alonso. He is nuts and always joking, less now that is older, but he was always making jokes.

Look at 5:07 for example... "do you like this picture? I sell it to you" and then "tssss don't touch!!!"
Or 5:26 "damn!!! quick, take a picture of the photographer... have you seen those chains hanging?"
Or 31:36 "Now I'm gonna make some joke"... and pretends he is having a phone argument...

I speak very little Spanish so much was no doubt lost on me, but this was incredibly charming. It always surprises me how endearingly shy he can seem at times (even these days) when not in race-focus mode.

#3482 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,546 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:49

Posted Image

TOMA!

#3483 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,429 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 16:28

Doesn't mean much, but Fernando is now the F1 driver (active) with more twitter followers.

Alonso 1.242.696 followers
Button 1.232.113 followers
Hamilton 1.202.483 followers

#3484 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,331 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 17:10

Doesn't mean much, but Fernando is now the F1 driver (active) with more twitter followers.

Yeah, it doesn't mean much. Barrichello has 1.800.000 followers.

#3485 swerved

swerved

• 3,593 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 17:14

Lewis has more than Jenson, Twitter just mistakenly beleives that some people unfollowed Lewis.

#3486 P123

P123

• 7,996 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 18:15

Means even less- Wayne Shrek Rooney has 5.3m brain dead followers. It appears that the stars of F1 lag way behind even the thickest of footballers in the popularity stakes.

Edited by P123, 11 November 2012 - 18:15.

#3487 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,660 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 18:23

I don't wanna be an ass here, but you won't believe what some guys wrote in the Räikkönen thread when somebody brought up the comment by a Ferrari engineer that Kimi drove the F2009 quicker than they thought it was possible - according to their computer models. Bitching about Kimis widows, delusion and so on for some pages. With Alonso it suddenly seems to be a different story.

Well if I'm in here, congratulations to your boys strong race and the close racing he and Räikkönen had towards the final laps. I really do hope Fernando can pull the WDC on his side now in the last two races, he's overdue for his third crown and I won't bear another finger party this year.

But you are. More than one person disputed the statement and explained why the computer model was wrong.

#3488 topical

topical

• 2,048 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 19:48

Yeah, it means nothing at all.

#3489 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,429 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:18

Felipe invited Fernando to his karting event, Desafio das Estrelas.

http://esporte.uol.c...oi-decisiva.htm

#3490 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,020 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 19:36

Yeah, it means nothing at all.

Well, it means that a significant number of people like to follow what Alonso has to say. And while there is no information as to who or how intelligent those people are, I am sure that it is gratifying for the person writing the tweets. So good for all of them!

#3491 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 20:51

Felipe invited Fernando to his karting event, Desafio das Estrelas.

http://esporte.uol.c...oi-decisiva.htm

This event is always fun, looking forward to it :up:

#3492 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:26

I love the USA so I hope Alonso wins there. My three favorite countries outside of Spain are Japan, Korea and the USA. In Japan Alonso retired, in Korea he finished behind the two RBR (which is always depressing)... Will I have this time a really happy outcome in the USA? Please?

#3493 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,546 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:33

I hope so :up:

Good luck Alonso

campeón!

#3494 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,435 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:44

I love this article, I could not agree more
http://www.autosport...t.php/id/104210

#3495 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 356 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 13:23

I love this article, I could not agree more
http://www.autosport...t.php/id/104210

+1 :up:

#3496 pRy

pRy

• 10,825 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 14:17

This season has caused me to evaluate the order in which i'd place Schumacher and Alonso in my personal drivers table. Even if Alonso finishes the year without the title.. for me he has had his best ever season. And when you consider he has been in F1 since 2001.. that's quite something. He has dragged his car into a title winning position with consistant 110% performances. History may look back and count his titles.. but with this guy, titles don't even tell half of the story.

#3497 rsaca

rsaca

• 330 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 15:27

This season has caused me to evaluate the order in which i'd place Schumacher and Alonso in my personal drivers table. Even if Alonso finishes the year without the title.. for me he has had his best ever season. And when you consider he has been in F1 since 2001.. that's quite something. He has dragged his car into a title winning position with consistant 110% performances. History may look back and count his titles.. but with this guy, titles don't even tell half of the story.

:up:

Excellent post.

#3498 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,546 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 20:14

:up:

Excellent post.

Yes, great post.

#3499 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:29

Very true this. :up:

He always seems to keep himself in the wdc hunt, year in, year out. Very impressive. Alain Prost was similar in this respect. Alonso has been nothing short of stunning this season; imagine how bad Ferrari would look if they didn't have him in the car.

Advertisement

#3500 cokeb

cokeb

• 114 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:50

Very true this. :up:

He always seems to keep himself in the wdc hunt, year in, year out. Very impressive. Alain Prost was similar in this respect. Alonso has been nothing short of stunning this season; imagine how bad Ferrari would look if they didn't have him in the car.

While I do rate Alonso highly, let's not exaggerate too much.

He has been in contention in two of the last five years, not "year in, year out."