• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4015 replies to this topic

#3551 Sapphiresteel

Sapphiresteel

• 58 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:57

Alonso certain he will outscore Vettel despite poor qualifying

oh god my sides :rotfl:

Alonso's own marbles have fallen on the track.

Advertisement

#3552 joshb

joshb

• 3,336 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:58

If Vettel wins arnd there's no attrition, he has to (likely) beat at least 1 of Webber, Hamilton or Raikkonen, as i think they could fill the top 4 places.
I think they'll fare better than Hulkenberg and Schumacher, Massa won't hold him back- but can he get amongst one of those 4 further up the order?

#3553 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 1,826 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:59

I hope it's the Autosport editors you are laughing at. Because in the actual quotes, Alonso says much about RBR and Vet being better, and that they will have deserved it if they win. And the only quotes having anything to do with the Autosport headline is "As always the race is tomorrow. I still think that tomorrow we are going to reduce the gap to Sebastian, which is what counts" and right at the end, "As I said, for whatever reason, I have the strange feeling that tomorrow we will reduce the gap."

So that's all firmly in the realm of "you never know", and what else can he say.

You are stretching it a bit here.

#3554 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,096 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 21:07

You are stretching it a bit here.

No, the Autosport headline is.

#3555 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 21:28

Alonso certain he will outscore Vettel despite poor qualifying

oh god my sides :rotfl:

Autosport editors, wtf.

#3556 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 21:39

Fernando will bounce back; we seen this before. All he has to do is finish top 4th or 5th, given his race pace and craft this season, that is very doable. IF it goes to Brazil, Alonso who absolutely loves the track and has incredible memories of 2005-2006 there, will be ready to go.

I would favor Ferrari and Alonso in Brazil.

If Vettel wins, even with Alonso in 4th (remember, 5th gives it to Vettel on countback) basically gives the title to Vettel. With 23 points, Alonso would have to win Brazil with Vettel finishing lower than 9th.

#3557 OO7

OO7

• 9,340 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 21:47

Indeed it does, its a dangerous game to play, even if someone is relatively good at it, mother Karma is second only to mother nature :lol:

:lol:

#3558 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,505 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:03

If Vettel wins, even with Alonso in 4th (remember, 5th gives it to Vettel on countback) basically gives the title to Vettel. With 23 points, Alonso would have to win Brazil with Vettel finishing lower than 9th.

Given the 2007-2008 and 2010 seasons were quite amazing at Brazil (lots of changes and swings) anything can happen there, the track allows that for such drama...

2006-2007-2008 had some of the craziest races in Brazil. I believe 2012 will offer the same.

Edited by George Costanza, 17 November 2012 - 22:07.

#3559 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,121 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:07

Autosport editors, wtf.

No no, he really said that, check the interviews. Alonso also has the tendency to say different things to different news outlets. He always says other things to the English and Spanish media for example.

Advertisement

#3560 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:09

I know your hate blinds you but please, at least try not to lie. Most of his laps were mistake free but he decided to abort them to heat the tires and get the best time possible at the last lap. If you want to criticise him then you have enough material with that last lap (he has already admitted it wasn't good enough) or not securing a time before.
So many Saturdays walking on the wire... having to reach the limit of the car to be in the third row... it was just a question of time.
Nice to see how many people decided to post after the qualy today and were hidden for the rest of the season, clarify things if someone could have doubts :)

Why would you abort 5 or more laps in row? A banker lap is oh so important.

#3561 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,096 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:29

No no, he really said that, check the interviews. Alonso also has the tendency to say different things to different news outlets. He always says other things to the English and Spanish media for example.

Well if he said it then it should not be hard for Autosport to include the quote that resembles the headline.

#3562 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:40

Well if he said it then it should not be hard for Autosport to include the quote that resembles the headline.

Two times in 1 article enough?

"I still think that tomorrow we are going to reduce the gap to Sebastian, which is what counts."

and

"As I said, for whatever reason, I have the strange feeling that tomorrow we will reduce the gap."

and yes, he is talking about the points gap...

Edited by F.M., 17 November 2012 - 22:40.

#3563 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:46

"I think / I have the feeling" is a thing, and being certain of something is a different one. What Alonso says is reasonable, what Autosports wrote as headline sounds pretentious.

This is why some people dislike Alonso, because of media "adorments" like this.

Edited by Creepy, 17 November 2012 - 22:46.

#3564 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,096 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 23:14

"I think / I have the feeling" is a thing, and being certain of something is a different one. What Alonso says is reasonable, what Autosports wrote as headline sounds pretentious.

This is why some people dislike Alonso, because of media "adorments" like this.

This.

#3565 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,538 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:41

FA 4 hours ago: Arrive at hotel..;)! Think of the goal, not how difficult is to reach...! Tomorrow we have to overtake many places yes or yes...! Good night

#3566 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:06

All the people here bashing Fernando for this only qualifying without even properly knowing what was happening on track and in the car are not worthy Alonso fans/supporters.

Edited by Ravenak, 18 November 2012 - 06:09.

#3567 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,311 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:22

are not worthy Alonso fans/supporters.

Most of this people are not fans, they are you classic troll/hater, they don't give a damn about Fernando or Ferrari, the best thing it's ignore them.

#3568 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:32

Guess you're right...

Have a good race!

#3569 bl-f1

bl-f1

• 1,087 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:03

It looks very difficult today after a poor qualifying result. If Vettel goes on to lead the race from the first lap and wins it, as he has done a few times recently, then there is no more discussion. But races are long; there are incidents and people make mistakes -let's not forget Vettel's mistake under SC two weeks ago- and I have every confidence that if Alonso gets half a chance he will milk every drop out of it. Also, the Ferrari is clearly not the best car in qualifying, but it is a mighty car in race conditions.

Alonso knows the championship is not over until it is over. Vettel knows it, too. All these wise men predicting the end of the championship after Saturday's qualifying would do better to wait until the end of the race. By the looks of the circuit, this race could be full of surprises.

Enjoy the race.

Edited by bl-f1, 18 November 2012 - 08:13.

#3570 evol88

evol88

• 43 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:28

I think Alonso's going to put on the race of his life today.

#3571 topical

topical

• 2,292 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:46

He has already driven the race of his life several times this year just to stay in the hunt. I think today it will come to an end with a whimper, and fear either a first lap crash or limping home in 4th or 5th.

#3572 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,538 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:50

Most of the WDCs were won in superior cars and everybody except Vettel is just unlucky not to sit in such a car. Sometimes driving the heart out of your soul is just not enough, you need a machinery where you can make it with a finger in your nose. I have not seen Vettel fighting with his car yesterday like Fernando had to do so unless a miracle happens, we have to accept it the way it is. We cannot change anything about it and Fernando needs all of our support to come over it!

Posted Image

Edited by jstrains, 18 November 2012 - 09:01.

#3573 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,311 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:04

Probably the most risky start of the year, taking into account that the title is at play. In the middle of the pack and in the dirty side, and the worst thing is turn 1. He need to attack, he can't be 8th or 7th at the end of lap 1, there are too many fast cars ahead, but at the same time too much risk could be fatal. Good luck Fernando, and whatever it happen, it will not change how awesome you have been this year.

#3574 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:15

Alonso knows the championship is not over until it is over. Vettel knows it, too. All these wise men predicting the end of the championship after Saturday's qualifying would do better to wait until the end of the race. By the looks of the circuit, this race could be full of surprises.

Of course he knows it is not over until the fat lady sings. We only have to look a fortnight ago to understand that anything is possible in F1.

This is what Vettel said in the post qualifying press conference on this issue :-

"It is the best strategy to keep your head down and try to do your best. I am very happy with the result but so far nobody has scored any points.

"We saw in the last race how quickly things can change and starting from the back gives you opportunities. We will focus on our race and tomorrow aim to seal the constructors' title for the team."

#3575 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,132 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:51

Most of this people are not fans, they are you classic troll/hater, they don't give a damn about Fernando or Ferrari, the best thing it's ignore them.

Indeed.

By the way, I am very surprised that nobody has picked on Alonso's answer to the question he was asked in the same interview, shortly after he said the "I am optimistic for tomorrow" line:
- did you have any specific problems in today's qualy, seeing how Massa has been 6 tenths faster than you?
- no, no problems, he has been faster than me in this qualy, let's see if I can make up some positions tomorrow

I am surprised because I have read so ofter from certain journalists and people that Alonso is unable to accept his mistakes that I would have expected this comment to strongly attract their attention. But no references whatsoever, weird...

Edited by Fontainebleau, 18 November 2012 - 10:51.

#3576 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,096 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:04

Indeed.

By the way, I am very surprised that nobody has picked on Alonso's answer to the question he was asked in the same interview, shortly after he said the "I am optimistic for tomorrow" line:
- did you have any specific problems in today's qualy, seeing how Massa has been 6 tenths faster than you?
- no, no problems, he has been faster than me in this qualy, let's see if I can make up some positions tomorrow

I am surprised because I have read so ofter from certain journalists and people that Alonso is unable to accept his mistakes that I would have expected this comment to strongly attract their attention. But no references whatsoever, weird...

Yeah. I also thought he completely falls apart and turns against the team as soon as a team mate is faster ...

#3577 string158

string158

• 222 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:09

He's obviously very confident about his race pace.

Reckon he's focussed on a good race setup? We've seen how hard it is to overtake through the wiggley bits, so maybe he's setup for max top speed again?

With greater fuel on board the weight will help him get the power down at the beginning phase of the race, and as that burns off there will be more rubber on the track.

I'm hoping he's played another blinder like India (?). Fingers crossed.

I think a lot hinges on the first corner. I bet we get a few chancers trying to stick it down the inside only to realise theres no grip. Could get messy.

#3578 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,132 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:50

I am equally worried about the start and turn 1. As for the setup, what I have read is that Alonso's car was setup differently from Massa's, hence the less stable rear end, in order to maximise its performance on full tanks. I don't know, I hope they know what they are doing and they have an ace up their common sleeve, but I would feel so much better if the Ferrari was closer to the RB8 in qualy!

#3579 TigersWood

TigersWood

• 132 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:58

Yeah. I also thought he completely falls apart and turns against the team as soon as a team mate is faster ...

Mo, that only happens when the team mate's daddy goes to the FIA and sues him, and the team supports daddy.

Advertisement

#3580 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,096 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:09

Mo, that only happens when the team mate's daddy goes to the FIA and sues him, and the team supports daddy.

Well the people who say this is a weakness of FA always bring up Fisi and Jarno as well.

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 18 November 2012 - 12:10.

#3581 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,670 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:11

I am equally worried about the start and turn 1. As for the setup, what I have read is that Alonso's car was setup differently from Massa's, hence the less stable rear end, in order to maximise its performance on full tanks. I don't know, I hope they know what they are doing and they have an ace up their common sleeve, but I would feel so much better if the Ferrari was closer to the RB8 in qualy!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed he makes it through the first turns unscathed. I fear we might lose positions at the start on the dirty side which would not be ideal. I agree, I would feel more confident of that plan if we were not so far back but it is what it is.

#3582 Claudiu

Claudiu

• 201 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 13:23

I admire Fernando's fighting spirit but F1 is not all about the driver, his skill and determination, it's also about the car, normally the fastest car wins easily even with a mid driver, Vettel is no mid tier driver so if these two remaining races are normal I give us 0% to win this.

F1 is more about science and number and downforce then the drivers skill and this is a fact, only when there is a small difference between cars can the driver put his mark and his talent to good use and make a difference but this is not the case here, RedBull is just too strong for us this end year.

I don't know what they did on their car after Monza because starting from Singapore they were spot on, I think that RedBull's car was there all along, they just needed to find the sweet spot and they did.

This year is lots but my concern is that next year we could see some more of the same stuff, RedBull now that they have refined their car will just get better and better and there is a big risk that they will win again next year, I think only 2014 and the new regulation can save us ... I hope I am not right though :-)

Edited by Claudiu, 18 November 2012 - 13:24.

#3583 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 738 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:28

Fernando Alonso ‏@alo_oficial
Buenos días!!! A desayunar con energía!! Good morning!! Breakfast in good mood!! #forzaferrari pic.twitter.com/suU7Q2eH
Ocultar foto Responder Retwittear Favorito
Posted Image

"Negative thoughts are not allowed here"

#3584 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,538 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:48

You see? No more negative thoughts for the next 4 horus and 12 minutes!

#3585 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,311 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:53

It's scary how positive he is, let's hope everything goes well.

#3586 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,538 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:56

Being stressed never helped anyone... :wave:

#3587 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 591 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:06

He has mega strong mentality or goes crazy :) last time on press conference after the race he said best race it's still to come, it has to be today, come on Nando.

#3588 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:22

Whether he loses it or not, he knows he has to go all-out. Those are usually Alonso's most interesting races (at least Petrov is on the other end of the grid :lol:).

Edited by mnmracer, 18 November 2012 - 15:23.

#3589 kartinhero

kartinhero

• 321 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:29

He will fail today just like he did in qualify yesterday..

#3590 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:34

Whether he loses it or not, he knows he has to go all-out. Those are usually Alonso's most interesting races (at least Petrov is on the other end of the grid :lol:).

Believe it or not he gives sportsmanship lessons in other threads. :lol:

#3591 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,538 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 17:16

FA on Facebook: Finished strategy meeting! Now lunch and last preparations

#3592 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,155 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 17:29

Last ten years in contention for WDC
Alonso 5x
Vettel 4x
Kimi 4x
Hamilton 3x
Schumi 3x
Button 1x
Massa 1x
JPM 1x
Barrichello 1x

Pretty much sums the current generation top drivers. :)
(just a quick glance on stats, so the table might not be 100%)

Interesting indeed. Shows what we all know - Fernando is the best. And indeed Kimi and Schumi, despite being retired for two/three years respectively are well up there as well. Vettel of course in superior machinery. Hamilton up there, and the rest also-rans.

#3593 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,155 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 17:33

It's scary how positive he is, let's hope everything goes well.

It's all about mind power, how Ayrton was already explaining it. And in the position Fernando is in, he has to do it all with mind power and the power of belief. The miracle can still happen and Fernando avails himself to it.

Even if he would lose it, he has done everything and pulled every register.

#3594 topical

topical

• 2,292 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 17:49

FA on Facebook: Finished strategy meeting! Now lunch and last preparations

We all know what was topic number 1 at that strategy meeting :rolleyes:
I strongly disagree with the gearbox issue but still hope Alonso has a good race and sincerely hope that this decision doesn't backfire.

#3595 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,155 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 17:52

FA 4 hours ago: Arrive at hotel..;)! Think of the goal, not how difficult is to reach...! Tomorrow we have to overtake many places yes or yes...! Good night

Think of the goal, not how difficult it is to reach! That is golden advice for all of us fans. Feel the joy of the victory already now, as if it has happened. How great the joy will be.

Fernando is a great warrior, worthy of the best samurai of old.

#3596 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,311 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 17:54

Stay strong guys, today is going to be a hard day.

#3597 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,768 posts

Think of the goal, not how difficult it is to reach! That is golden advice for all of us fans. Feel the joy of the victory already now, as if it has happened. How great the joy will be.

Samurai were honest in their fights. Today pretty much erases FA any credit of using samurai sayings. I do not like today´s decision at all.

#3598 vidc

vidc

• 36 posts

Interesting indeed. Shows what we all know - Fernando is the best. And indeed Kimi and Schumi, despite being retired for two/three years respectively are well up there as well. Vettel of course in superior machinery. Hamilton up there, and the rest also-rans.

not really, in fact this statistic made as this has no sense. you can not count 2002,2003,2004,2005,2006 and 2007 for vettel... vettels first full season was 2008, so in his 5 seasons in 4 seasons he was title contender... 4 out of 5, fantastic. alonso's f1 career started in 2001 and from 2003-2012, title contender in 2005,2006,2007, 2010, 2012. so 5 out of 11... not that great. even schumacher has better statistic with his 18 seasons and 10 seasons as a title contender.

#3599 motorhead

motorhead

• 934 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 17:56

[b]

Oh jeez, would old Samurais have agreed that somebody sacrifices oneself for a samurai...I doubt it

Advertisement

#3600 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,096 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 17:58

I think this Samurai will have his final battle today and lose it.